What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

James Starks (1 Viewer)

Starks has more potential than Hardesty

but top 10 dynasty? are you expecting an injury to Grant? he is getting up there in age though

Last edited by a moderator:
Starks has more potential than Hardestybut top 10 dynasty? are you expecting an injury to Grant? he is getting up there in age though
He quite possibly have more potential, but I'll take my chances on one of the SEC's best RB over a RB from the MAC.

Last edited by a moderator:
For the fun of it BSN - I'll bet you a free 2012 RSP that health permitting (no major injury that requires surgery or off-field issues, otherwise the bet is off), that by 2012 Starks will have a 1000-yard season and be the starter in GB.

If I win, I just get the satisfaction of being right.

Guy is a 24 year old rookie. You'll probalby find him at a hometown buffet before the football field. :drive:
He missed the entire 2009 season and still impressed at the combine. You think now that he has been drafted he will decide to get fat and lazy?

Being from Buffalo I love this kid. If he came out last year he wouldve had been a 2-3 round pick. Hes an all around back, catches the ball well out of the backfield. Great fit in GB and if Grant goes down I think he can do well there.

Being from Buffalo I love this kid. If he came out last year he wouldve had been a 2-3 round pick. Hes an all around back, catches the ball well out of the backfield. Great fit in GB and if Grant goes down I think he can do well there.
Agreed, if he can stay healthy. Sitting out the season was the best thing that could've happened for his NFL prospects.While I haven't spoken to him in awhile, he's a good character guy as well. Hard worker, stays out of trouble. I couldn't be happier for him, especially after his frustration of playing 3 different positions (came in as a QB, switched to WR, then DB, then back to QB) at practice during his redshirt season. You could tell he wanted to break out, but didn't quite fit at any of those positions. Then they gave him a chance at RB (a 6'2" RB?) and he flourished. Hats off to him for the hard work and Coach Gill's staff for seeing the potential.

Guy is a 24 year old rookie. You'll probalby find him at a hometown buffet before the football field. :confused:
He missed the entire 2009 season and still impressed at the combine. You think now that he has been drafted he will decide to get fat and lazy?
You missed the joke. I'll help you out. Older folks eat at hometown buffet.
Sorry, i didnt know that about old people. I just thought they went to Mcdonalds in the morning for coffee, and then spent the rest of the day clogging up traffic on their way home to water their lawn.

I do think it'll be crucial for him to add some weight though without losing speed. If he could add 20 pounds and keep his speed....he could be special. Think a slightly smaller Brandon Jacobs.

I do think it'll be crucial for him to add some weight though without losing speed. If he could add 20 pounds and keep his speed....he could be special. Think a slightly smaller Brandon Jacobs.
He could afford to add a couple of lbs, but i dont think he needs to add 20. Right now he is about the same size as AD.

While I love that people are excited about a 6th round pick.

Stating that he will be a top 10 dynasty RB makes me debate this.

ESPN insider has this for negatives

Injuries: Missed 2008 Missouri game with a hip injury and 2008 Army game with a turf toe injury. Did not participate in 2009 spring drills so could give nagging injuries from 2008 fall time to heal. Tests revealed a torn labrum before the 2009 season opener. Underwent shoulder surgery and missed the entire year.

So it is more than a shoulder.

Needs to show more aggression in his running style.

Lacks ideal patience and doesn't always give play enough time to develop. Can get on top of offensive lineman's heels' on occasion. Too quick to hit cut back lanes and can miss the hole on the front side as a result. Would like to see him run more North- South.

However, not as punishing a runner or churner as size suggests. Also needs to run with a lower pad level. Has enough burst to get to and through the line of scrimmage but lacks elite burst to bounce runs to the outside.

lacks the wiggle to consistently make NFL defenders miss when gets into the open field. Also lacks elite long speed to outrun pursuit and hit the home run.

Willing to help out in pass protection but needs to show more aggression and technique is undeveloped at this point.

I like how he can step in and compete with Brandon Jackson for the 3rd down job right away....but promoting him to top 10 dynasty by end of the year is rediculous.

I think he has a real shot at slowly taking carries away from Grant as the season goes on, and possibly taking the starting job without Grant getting hurt.

ESPN insider has this for negativesInjuries: Missed 2008 Missouri game with a hip injury and 2008 Army game with a turf toe injury. Did not participate in 2009 spring drills so could give nagging injuries from 2008 fall time to heal. Tests revealed a torn labrum before the 2009 season opener. Underwent shoulder surgery and missed the entire year.So it is more than a shoulder.
His upright running style will lead to him taking a beating, but he's hardly an injury-prone player. He was an absolute workhorse back - most workhorses who touch the ball as often as he was and have an upright running style tend to get worn down.....which is why I'm not sure he can take the pounding of being a top-flight NFL RB - but could be a great RBBC guy.

While I love that people are excited about a 6th round pick.Stating that he will be a top 10 dynasty RB makes me debate this.ESPN insider has this for negativesInjuries: Missed 2008 Missouri game with a hip injury and 2008 Army game with a turf toe injury. Did not participate in 2009 spring drills so could give nagging injuries from 2008 fall time to heal. Tests revealed a torn labrum before the 2009 season opener. Underwent shoulder surgery and missed the entire year.So it is more than a shoulder.Needs to show more aggression in his running style.Lacks ideal patience and doesn't always give play enough time to develop. Can get on top of offensive lineman's heels' on occasion. Too quick to hit cut back lanes and can miss the hole on the front side as a result. Would like to see him run more North- South.However, not as punishing a runner or churner as size suggests. Also needs to run with a lower pad level. Has enough burst to get to and through the line of scrimmage but lacks elite burst to bounce runs to the outside.lacks the wiggle to consistently make NFL defenders miss when gets into the open field. Also lacks elite long speed to outrun pursuit and hit the home run.Willing to help out in pass protection but needs to show more aggression and technique is undeveloped at this point.I like how he can step in and compete with Brandon Jackson for the 3rd down job right away....but promoting him to top 10 dynasty by end of the year is rediculous.
He doesnt need to be a top 10 talent to be a top 10 back. He just needs to be better than Ryan Grant, which i believe he is.

While I love that people are excited about a 6th round pick.Stating that he will be a top 10 dynasty RB makes me debate this.ESPN insider has this for negativesInjuries: Missed 2008 Missouri game with a hip injury and 2008 Army game with a turf toe injury. Did not participate in 2009 spring drills so could give nagging injuries from 2008 fall time to heal. Tests revealed a torn labrum before the 2009 season opener. Underwent shoulder surgery and missed the entire year.So it is more than a shoulder.Needs to show more aggression in his running style.Lacks ideal patience and doesn't always give play enough time to develop. Can get on top of offensive lineman's heels' on occasion. Too quick to hit cut back lanes and can miss the hole on the front side as a result. Would like to see him run more North- South.However, not as punishing a runner or churner as size suggests. Also needs to run with a lower pad level. Has enough burst to get to and through the line of scrimmage but lacks elite burst to bounce runs to the outside.lacks the wiggle to consistently make NFL defenders miss when gets into the open field. Also lacks elite long speed to outrun pursuit and hit the home run.Willing to help out in pass protection but needs to show more aggression and technique is undeveloped at this point.I like how he can step in and compete with Brandon Jackson for the 3rd down job right away....but promoting him to top 10 dynasty by end of the year is rediculous.
He doesnt need to be a top 10 talent to be a top 10 back. He just needs to be better than Ryan Grant, which i believe he is.
But Ryan Grant isn't a top 10 guy....at least not IMO.

I agree, but i think Starks as the GB starter could be.

This is actually the first "You heard x here first" thread that I actually did hear it here first. Don't know anything about him though. Maybe Go Deep can help.

I agree, but i think Starks as the GB starter could be.
It sounds like your backing off of your statement of:
He will be a top 10 dynasty back by the end of the 2010 season.
If you want to say he could challenge for the starting job by the end of the season...or you don't think Ryan Grant is that talented(I dont' think he is). Then say that, instead of he will be a top 10 dyansty Rb by the end of the season.

He could afford to add a couple of lbs, but i dont think he needs to add 20. Right now he is about the same size as AD.
Yes, but his running style is completely different than Peterson; I don't think the two are really comparable. I know that some other people have made the reference, but, to put it bluntly, it just shows that they didn't watch too many of his college games.The bottom line, IMO, is that he'll never be able to take the pounding of, say, 300 touches in a season as an every-down back without adding some weight. And if he can't take that pounding, I'm not sure he'll be a top 10 dynasty back.

My quick take on Starks:

James Starks 6'2" 218 Upside

Former Buffalo head coach Turner Gill said Starks is a stud

and comparable to any back he has coached or played with,

which includes Mike Rozier. Starks played at a listed weight

of 203 pounds and was a rail thin back who looked more

like a WR. When he missed the 2009 season with a

shoulder injury he added 15 pounds and was measured at

6'2", 218 pounds after his rehab. Starks is a good cut back

runner with speed, burst, and sharp moves. He can dance a

little too much at the point of attack rather than get low

and take what's in front of him. If his added muscle

increases his power and explosiveness, he could be a major

surprise. If the shoulder is healthy, he's a late-round

sleeper that is worth priority consideration.

I think he has a real shot at slowly taking carries away from Grant as the season goes on, and possibly taking the starting job without Grant getting hurt.
So the same stuff some people said about Brandon Jackson for 2 years, cool.

My quick take on Starks: James Starks 6'2" 218 Upside Former Buffalo head coach Turner Gill said Starks is a stud and comparable to any back he has coached or played with, which includes Mike Rozier. Starks played at a listed weight of 203 pounds and was a rail thin back who looked more like a WR. When he missed the 2009 season with a shoulder injury he added 15 pounds and was measured at 6'2", 218 pounds after his rehab. Starks is a good cut back runner with speed, burst, and sharp moves. He can dance a little too much at the point of attack rather than get low and take what's in front of him. If his added muscle increases his power and explosiveness, he could be a major surprise. If the shoulder is healthy, he's a late-round sleeper that is worth priority consideration.
I went back and read your RSP on him.Here is my question...as I haven't broke down film on him.Do you see im having a more aggressive running style, after adding the weight he did this past season?

So the same stuff some people said about Brandon Jackson for 2 years, cool.
I didnt

He can dance a little too much at the point of attack rather than get low and take what's in front of him.
Definitely agreed on this, and hopefully the 15 pounds he's added will help here.When in the open field, he was (in college at least) a homerun threat. When running behind the ####ty UB O-line against decent D-lines, he struggled running up the middle at times.

I agree with you Go Deep!The Packers RB situation was crying out for a speedy guy with great hands to give them an elite option out of the back field on 3rd down.....they now have that in Starks, who has great moves and burst with more power than many people think. If Starks is 100% over the previous injuries then I think he has an reasonable chance of making this a true RBBC in GB in 2010.

A second round pick is not much of a price to pay for the upside that Starks presents......who wouldn't want this part of the Packers high octane offense??

My quick take on Starks: James Starks 6'2" 218 Upside Former Buffalo head coach Turner Gill said Starks is a stud and comparable to any back he has coached or played with, which includes Mike Rozier. Starks played at a listed weight of 203 pounds and was a rail thin back who looked more like a WR. When he missed the 2009 season with a shoulder injury he added 15 pounds and was measured at 6'2", 218 pounds after his rehab. Starks is a good cut back runner with speed, burst, and sharp moves. He can dance a little too much at the point of attack rather than get low and take what's in front of him. If his added muscle increases his power and explosiveness, he could be a major surprise. If the shoulder is healthy, he's a late-round sleeper that is worth priority consideration.
I went back and read your RSP on him.Here is my question...as I haven't broke down film on him.Do you see im having a more aggressive running style, after adding the weight he did this past season?
He always finished well. Two things that will help him by the fact he added more "man weight" or "position-specific weight": He'll break more tackles off glancing hits and run through some wraps. He'll also be able to take more punishment without wearing. It could also add to his explosiveness. Muscle gain in the core (thighs, hips, back, abs, and chest) also increased explosiveness if done correctly. So yes, like where Starks is and I think he's really a guy to watch. He will need to be more decisive at times, but his style reminds me more of Eric Dickerson than Adrian Peterson. I don't see him being that good, but he has some nice upside that could put him in a starting position.

So yes, like where Starks is and I think he's really a guy to watch. He will need to be more decisive at times, but his style reminds me more of Eric Dickerson than Adrian Peterson. I don't see him being that good, but he has some nice upside that could put him in a starting position.
Great comparison, IMO

Great info from the Shark Pool!! Awesome stuff. Unfortunately, what y'all have listed about Starks in here basically means he is off my board. Doesn't sound like the guy is a natural RB.....has a WR build.....has had injury problems.....runs upright.....doesn't finish all his runs with power......

"Other than that Mrs Lincoln, how was the play?"

My quick take on Starks:

James Starks 6'2" 218 Upside

Former Buffalo head coach Turner Gill said Starks is a stud

and comparable to any back he has coached or played with,

which includes Mike Rozier. Starks played at a listed weight

of 203 pounds and was a rail thin back who looked more

like a WR. When he missed the 2009 season with a

shoulder injury he added 15 pounds and was measured at

6'2", 218 pounds after his rehab. Starks is a good cut back

runner with speed, burst, and sharp moves. He can dance a

little too much at the point of attack rather than get low

and take what's in front of him. If his added muscle

increases his power and explosiveness, he could be a major

surprise. If the shoulder is healthy, he's a late-round

sleeper that is worth priority consideration.
I went back and read your RSP on him.Here is my question...as I haven't broke down film on him.

Do you see im having a more aggressive running style, after adding the weight he did this past season?
He always finished well. Two things that will help him by the fact he added more "man weight" or "position-specific weight": He'll break more tackles off glancing hits and run through some wraps. He'll also be able to take more punishment without wearing. It could also add to his explosiveness. Muscle gain in the core (thighs, hips, back, abs, and chest) also increased explosiveness if done correctly. So yes, like where Starks is and I think he's really a guy to watch. He will need to be more decisive at times, but his style reminds me more of Eric Dickerson than Adrian Peterson. I don't see him being that good, but he has some nice upside that could put him in a starting position.
I think this is one of the keys....if done correctly. Or else he could be less explosive and look like Slaton last year.

If he wants to get on the field right away, he needs to improve his pass protection.....then at least he could be a 3rd down RB(or compete with jackson) b/c he caught quite a few balls at Buffalo.

Great info from the Shark Pool!! Awesome stuff. Unfortunately, what y'all have listed about Starks in here basically means he is off my board. Doesn't sound like the guy is a natural RB.....has a WR build.....has had injury problems.....runs upright.....doesn't finish all his runs with power......"Other than that Mrs Lincoln, how was the play?"
He was a QB and SS in high school, and came into college as basically an athlete. Coach Hofher (Turner Gill's predecessor) had him playing QB, but he was too erratic - had a cannon arm and elite college speed, but accuracy and decision-making were questionable. At the same time, Drew Willy was a member of that class and wowed the coaches in camp.They switched him back and forth between DB/WR/QB and he didn't really fit well with those positions. What he needed was a chance to get the ball in the open-field - he's a playmaker, a touchdown threat. Screen passes, outside-the-tackles running, etc....put the ball in his hands and he can make plays. He would've been wasted as a DB, wasn't accurate enough to be a QB, and quite simply wouldn't get the ball enough if he was a WR.He's not a stereotypical RB, no, but neither are Brandon Jacobs or Chris Brown.I'm not sure he'll ever really be a star back in the NFL, but I'm very happy for him. Probably, literally, the nicest person on those UB teams in recent years. A humble player who doesn't take his gifts for granted and keeps quiet while working hard....not something you see often in the "entitlement" setting of college football these days. Hope he keeps his head on straight and keeps it up in the pros.

Great info from the Shark Pool!! Awesome stuff. Unfortunately, what y'all have listed about Starks in here basically means he is off my board. Doesn't sound like the guy is a natural RB.....has a WR build.....has had injury problems.....runs upright.....doesn't finish all his runs with power......"Other than that Mrs Lincoln, how was the play?"
That would be a mistake, IMO. Think about it this way:Ricky Watters was a flanker at Notre Dame who was converted to RB and as he added 10-15 pounds of muscle (which is more normal than talked about), he became a fine RB. Starks, like Watters, is a natural RB but his body just needed more weight just like Portis, Terrell DAvis, Priest Holmes, and a zillion other starters coming into the league. The actual body type statement I made is actually a positive thing because if he's this good as a tall skinny guy and is now 218 without losing speed, then his upside is very very good.

He does kinda have a WR build... He's definitely not the bowling ball type of back... But neither is Grant...

LINK

Ryan Grant is 6-1, 222lbs

James Starks is 6-2, 211lbs

Not really that much difference there...

He does kinda have a WR build... He's definitely not the bowling ball type of back... But neither is Grant...

LINK

Ryan Grant is 6-1, 222lbs

James Starks is 6-2, 211lbs

Not really that much difference there...
I'd call that a pretty significant difference. We're looking at a pretty thin range for RB builds in the NFL.

Where do most FBG's think Starks will go in rookie drafts? Is it acceptable to reach for a guy you really like rather than wait and end up with someone you didn't really want?

For the fun of it BSN - I'll bet you a free 2012 RSP that health permitting (no major injury that requires surgery or off-field issues, otherwise the bet is off), that by 2012 Starks will have a 1000-yard season and be the starter in GB. If I win, I just get the satisfaction of being right.
Wowsers. E.F. Hutton has spoken.What are you guys seeing in Starks?

Users who are viewing this thread