What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jarrett Boykin (1 Viewer)

Max Power

Footballguy
He is being talking about everywhere, but no thread devoted to him. Seems like he is worth a thorough discussion. Cobb is out 6-8 weeks. I'm assuming the fantasy season at this point. Jones sounds like he may go in week 7, but it still would only leave 3 healthy WRs on the roster.

His box score didn't look that impressive after Cobb and Jones departed the game, but the Packers passing game numbers as a whole didn't look that great either. With Lacy healthy, it looks like their rushing attempts per game will be the highest in years.

I know nothing of Boykin other than he is a young guy and his opportunity is here. Unproven, but with the packers only keeping 4 WRs, it speaks to the confidence they have in him right?

Is he a better pickup in a redraft or Dynasty?

This is the one guy anyone who needs a WR should get. He is now a starting packers WR, you tell me how he is gonna do.

He's got a week to get on the same page with AR. He's got a great opportunity but lets not forget that opportunity doesn't always equal production. I want to see him actually do it first.

He's got a week to get on the same page with AR. He's got a great opportunity but lets not forget that opportunity doesn't always equal production. I want to see him actually do it first.
if you are interested then you have to grab him this week. After next week, he will be gone - unless you are implying that you will pick up and bench him until he shows something . . .

if you are interested then you have to grab him this week. After next week, he will be gone - unless you are implying that you will pick up and bench him until he shows something . . .
I guess I'm kind of viewing him similarly to Harry Douglas who half my league made a run at a week ago. We could all just be chasing fools gold here just because a middling talent is seemingly getting a million dollar opportunity.

He is being talking about everywhere, but no thread devoted to him. Seems like he is worth a thorough discussion. Cobb is out 6-8 weeks. I'm assuming the fantasy season at this point. Jones sounds like he may go in week 7, but it still would only leave 3 healthy WRs on the roster.

His box score didn't look that impressive after Cobb and Jones departed the game, but the Packers passing game numbers as a whole didn't look that great either. With Lacy healthy, it looks like their rushing attempts per game will be the highest in years.

I know nothing of Boykin other than he is a young guy and his opportunity is here. Unproven, but with the packers only keeping 4 WRs, it speaks to the confidence they have in him right?

He looks terrible. Dropped passes, looked lost out there running routes. Hopefully they sign Driver for a few weeks. At least he can catch.

He looks terrible. Dropped passes, looked lost out there running routes. Hopefully they sign Driver for a few weeks. At least he can catch.
The targets I saw were just awful passes by Rodgers and the announcers blamed them on Boykin. Rodgers was consistently throwing while back pedaling and missed more throws than just to Boykin. The one route he ran near his own red zone was perfect - went just past the 1st down marker and the pass was horrible, yet he was blamed.

I hate the biased "color commentary" - they won't take any flak for blaming everything on the rook, so they go that route . . .

I think Harry Douglas is a better investment. He's basically free on any waiver wire and will get as many, if not more, targets than Boykin, now with Julio out, Roddy beleaguered, and no running game.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Harry Douglas is a better investment. He's basically free on any waiver wire and will get as many, if not more, targets than Boykin, now with Julio out, Roddy beleaguered, and no running game.
Difference is that Harry Douglas is a known commodity. He has been in analogous situations before, and performed poor to mediocre. Boykin is more of an unknown, and most would consider Rodgers vastly superior to Ryan.

I'm willing to give him a pass on the drops for a week since until Sunday his best asset has been his hands.

Difference is that Harry Douglas is a known commodity. He has been in analogous situations before, and performed poor to mediocre. Boykin is more of an unknown, and most would consider Rodgers vastly superior to Ryan.
Sure, but I consider Douglas to be superior to Boykin, so yea. Superior player with more targets = better fantasy outlook. I'm not sure what more there is to understand?

Sure, but I consider Douglas to be superior to Boykin, so yea. Superior player with more targets = better fantasy outlook. I'm not sure what more there is to understand?
Just because you think something doesn't mean it's correct. Besides the higher draft grade, Douglas hasn't shown that he is a superior player. He hasn't broken 40 catches or 500 yards in his career, and he's been in the league for five seasons now. The fact that he will get more targets doesn't mean as much as (a) if the QB can consistently get them to him; and (b) what he can do with them. Also, as said previously, Aaron Rodgers is a much better QB. Would you rather have 8 targets from Blaine Gabbert, or 4 from Peyton Manning?

Your opinion is not the Bible, and neither is mine. I'd just like to point out it's not as cut and dry as you're trying to make it appear. Douglas is a mediocre talent that may get more targets from a less talented QB in a less prolific offense. Boykin is an unknown talent that may get just as many targets from a more talented QB in a more prolific offense. The point? No one knows.

we know what Douglas can do. He's had 4+ years to do it. And that? Zero. I'd rather take a chance on Boykin than watch Douglas do nothing yet again

He is being talking about everywhere, but no thread devoted to him. Seems like he is worth a thorough discussion. Cobb is out 6-8 weeks. I'm assuming the fantasy season at this point. Jones sounds like he may go in week 7, but it still would only leave 3 healthy WRs on the roster. His box score didn't look that impressive after Cobb and Jones departed the game, but the Packers passing game numbers as a whole didn't look that great either. With Lacy healthy, it looks like their rushing attempts per game will be the highest in years. I know nothing of Boykin other than he is a young guy and his opportunity is here. Unproven, but with the packers only keeping 4 WRs, it speaks to the confidence they have in him right? Is he a better pickup in a redraft or Dynasty?
The targets I saw were just awful passes by Rodgers and the announcers blamed them on Boykin. Rodgers was consistently throwing while back pedaling and missed more throws than just to Boykin. The one route he ran near his own red zone was perfect - went just past the 1st down marker and the pass was horrible, yet he was blamed.
I have no idea what the announcers said. Like most real Packer fans, I don't listen to the announcers on TV. The radio is more insightful. Boykin looked completely lost. He doesn't appear to have developed at all in the past year. Let's hope he turns things around quickly, because we need him out there.

not sll kf the struggles were boykin...Ridgers looked off on some of those throws. hopefully it was a timing thing with boykin not getting the reos cobb, jones, and nelson get.

I'm so desperate with Cobb out now, that I'm picking up both Boykin and Douglas.

BOOM! (championship)

I don't know anything about him except what I saw sunday.

And he was terrible.

Upside? Sure. But sunday's data point was not pretty.

Much closer to the truth than Alex' take. Rodgers wasn't afraid to target him. The timing was just off. After a week of practice I expect this to be much better. Lol at wanting Driver to comeback. He can catch but he won't get open due to his loss of speed.

Edgar Bennett on Jarrett Boykins during OTAs

Packers' Bennett on Jarrett Boykin: 'A tremendous player'By Tyler Dunne of the Journal Sentinel
June 7, 2013
Green Bay --- Chances are, the Green Bay Packers will be counting on Jarrett Boykin --- or another young wide receiver --- at some point this coming season.

They have one of the strongest trios n the NFL at the position. Not to mention, tight end Jermichael Finley can flex wide as well. Yet in each of the last three seasons, the Packers have had a starter suffer an injury, at some point, and needed others to step up. As of now, Boykin has the inside track on being the team's No. 4 wideout.

In other offenses, that's hardly newsworthy. In Green Bay's offense, it is.

Count wide receivers coach Edgar Bennett as someone who has full confidence Boykin can step into a bigger role.

“Boykin, man, you talk about No. 1, an attention to detail type of player," Bennett said. "He’s fundamentally sound. I really like the progress Boykin has made. Obviously, he has an injury right now but he’s a tremendous player, a tremendous player. And he continues to get better. It starts in the classroom and then he goes out and gets it done on the practice field. I love his work ethic.”

Bennett was referring to an apparent leg injury Boykin suffered during OTA's last week. The injury sidelined Boykin through minicamp and, as we've mentioned on here, the Packers aren't talking about injuries.

Either way, Bennett couldn't say enough about Boykin. This time last year, the 6-foot-2, 218-pound receiver was at the very bottom of the totem pole. After going undrafted, Boykin couldn't even make the Jacksonville Jaguars' 90-man roster out of rookie camp.

When asked about this, Bennett smiled and repeated, “What’s up with that?"

The Packers did see something and Boykin beat out Tori Gurley, Diondre Borel and others to make the team. His huge, dependable hands and crisp route-running through camp and the preseason stood out.

I’ll say this. We’re fortunate we have him," Bennett said. "I’m glad we were able to get him. He came up here and the first impression was outstanding. A young guy coming into rookie camp last year, he didn’t make any mistakes whatsoever. His attention to detail. He caught the ball well. He’s got those big hands. He caught the ball well. And besides catching the ball from his body, probably the second thing he did that jumped off the tape is he had the ability to create separation.”

The concern for Boykin out of college at Virginia Tech and then, apparently, in Jacksonville was his ability to get separation in the NFL.

Boykin finished as the Hokies all-time leading receiver, but didn't time well in pre-draft workouts. As noted by his college coach to us last summer, Boykin's hands and work ethic gave him a chance. Boykin stuck around all season. And after catching five passes for 27 yards as a rookie, he'll now have a chance at an expanded role this year.

When training camp picks up late next month, the competition resets. Green Bay drafted two wide receivers in the seventh round and Jeremy Ross returns as well.

Separation, Bennett insists, has not been a problem in Green Bay.

“All I know is that when we brought him in here, he had the ability to create separation and get open," Bennett said. "He can get open. ...You saw by way of his footwork, by way of his quickness, being physical with his hands to get off press and things like that. You see it showing up more and more. And that’s something we’ll continue to emphasize.

"That kid can play."
Read more from Journal Sentinel: http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/210652861.html#ixzz2hrHfU58J
Follow us: @NewsHub on Twitter

I remember being impressed with him during preseason action but know nothing of the guy past that. Still, he's going to be getting looks from AR and that alone has him pegged as my #1 WR WW add this week.

Also, he looks better than Douglas IMO but that doesn't say much; Douglas is a middling talent.

KingPrawn said:

Much closer to the truth than Alex' take. Rodgers wasn't afraid to target him. The timing was just off. After a week of practice I expect this to be much better. Lol at wanting Driver to comeback. He can catch but he won't get open due to his loss of speed.
Rodgers had looked off this season for a while...but hard to say for sure who is at fault between he and Boykin...could be a timing issue with Boyking being a step deep on his route...or Rodgers just throwing a poor pass not ready for the difference between the WRs.

Normally would give Rodgers the benefit of the doubt...but this year, as I said, he has looked off.

I'm wondering where to rank this guy the rest of the (fantasy) year. More or less valuable than Keenan Allen? Alshon Jeffery?

Eh, probably not. Maybe Emmanuel Sanders / Greg Jennings range?

I'm wondering where to rank this guy the rest of the (fantasy) year. More or less valuable than Keenan Allen? Alshon Jeffery?

Eh, probably not. Maybe Emmanuel Sanders / Greg Jennings range?
Its very dependant on this week. Right now he's Emmanuel Sanders/ Riley Cooper but after this week (2nd WR going against Cleveland) he could jump right to where Keenan Allen is.

He's a blind faith pick-up this week for teams this week but if you have a late WW priority this is your only real chance to get him.

I got him last night in a league where I'm desperate for bench WR help, and made him my #1 waiver (waivers reset each week by record). I figure if he pans out then this will be the only week to get him. If not then just drop him. He surely has to have more upside than the other WR's sitting on waivers. Maybe not in comparison to some other positions, but those who need a WR have nothing to lose.

I got him last night in a league where I'm desperate for bench WR help, and made him my #1 waiver (waivers reset each week by record). I figure if he pans out then this will be the only week to get him. If not then just drop him. He surely has to have more upside than the other WR's sitting on waivers. Maybe not in comparison to some other positions, but those who need a WR have nothing to lose.
Good strategy as we will know for certain if he has anything with Nelson being taken out by Haden. I think I'm going to do that as well.

A little off topic here but, why is Edgar Bennett the WR coach for Green Bay? It seems like an ex WR would have more insight to offer young WRs. Just seems like a strange fit.

A little off topic here but, why is Edgar Bennett the WR coach for Green Bay? It seems like an ex WR would have more insight to offer young WRs. Just seems like a strange fit.
Because he is very smart and talented and is moving his way up the coaching ladder. He's an up and coming coach and the Packers switched him from RB coach to WR coach to let him gain experience and keep him happy in GB.

Offensive coordinators aren't people who played every position, remember. :)

All that aside, he was a good receiver who regularly caught 50/60/70 balls a year. If you remember watching those Holmgren teams, it was a true west coast offense with horizontal passes (frequently to the RB) replacing runs.

KingPrawn said:

Rodgers had looked off this season for a while...but hard to say for sure who is at fault between he and Boykin...could be a timing issue with Boyking being a step deep on his route...or Rodgers just throwing a poor pass not ready for the difference between the WRs.

Normally would give Rodgers the benefit of the doubt...but this year, as I said, he has looked off.
This is the kind of thing that could improve with Rodgers and Boykin playing and practicing together more.

In general you have to like that it's Rodgers slinging it.

How to ruffle a few feathers? WR Jarret Boykin led all Packers WR's in yards & TD's in 2014. Hell, I don't know. He could fall flat on his face and run home to mommy or end up being decent. His chances of succeeding are better than most with Rodgers throwing the ball. If he's gonna be a good WR it'll show.If you can't produce with Rodgers as your QB then maybe look for another line of work. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and see how he looks after a few games. Oh, I DID pick him up off waivers and he can sit until I know/see more. Have other WR's right now to start. Would be a helluva WW gem to have grabbed if he goes off.

How to ruffle a few feathers? WR Jarret Boykin led all Packers WR's in yards & TD's in 2014. Hell, I don't know. He could fall flat on his face and run home to mommy or end up being decent. His chances of succeeding are better than most with Rodgers throwing the ball. If he's gonna be a good WR it'll show.If you can't produce with Rodgers as your QB then maybe look for another line of work. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and see how he looks after a few games. Oh, I DID pick him up off waivers and he can sit until I know/see more. Have other WR's right now to start. Would be a helluva WW gem to have grabbed if he goes off.
It was just a couple years ago that a 36 yo Driver caught 6 TD's as the 5th option in the offense. Boykin has had two years in the system and should be capable of being respectable receiver. Personally I believe anyone the Packers put out there is at least borderline startable.

(Rotoworld)Jarrett Boykin will be the Packers' No. 2 WR in Week 7 if James Jones (questionable, knee) can't play.

Analysis: Randall Cobb (leg) was placed on IR/recall Tuesday. Boykin is a second-year undrafted player out of Virginia Tech that struggled when pressed into 58 snaps last week. But with a week to get coached up, the Packers are expecting a better performance against the Browns. "Jarrett's one of the smartest guys we've got on the football team, and he's very sharp," Aaron Rodgers said. Any receiver playing every snap with Rodgers is worth a long look as a plug-n-play, even if they are somewhat talent-deficient.

I just thought I'd look up some info on him since there's not much here on the forums or even the FBG site:

- He's Va Tech's all time leading receiver.

- Ran a 4.7 at the combine. Er.

- Apparently late October 2012 or so he filled in with both Nelson and Jennings out and whiffed, 1/1/9/0. I guess he would have still been no. 3 in that game though.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201210280gnb.htm

- Rodgers said he would "be a big-time player for us at some point" and "he's a big, physical receiver who's going to get some opportunities."

All from RW.

http://www.rotoworld.com/recent/nfl/7817/jarrett-boykin

Spent time at RB coach...is moving around in ranks a few years ago to gain more experience.

Players love him and the coaches think he has potential to keep moving up (at least that was the first explanation of it all).

If Boykin and Rodgers get on the same page...he should be in for a nice week if Jones can't go.

Would assume Haden would be locked on Nelson...and Boykin had plenty of targets last week.

Seems Rodgers has had a short memory at times with WRs even through drops and keeps going to them...will he do it again this week?

Or will Myles White get some action.

While I agree that he's more of an unknown in the sense that he hasn't failed before in the past, but I would still think that Harry Douglas would be more valuable, no? Harry's likely to be option 1 or 2 on almost every single pass play this week behind only Tony Gonzalez. With Boykin, you're assuming Nelson's locked down the whole game, and Finley isn't heavily involved.

Not sure - maybe I'm just missing something.

Users who are viewing this thread