What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jax Jaguars ? (1 Viewer)

GRIDIRON ASSASSIN

Footballguy
Are there any Jaguar fans on this board?

If so, is there any talk of the Jags going after Edge or Shaun Alexander in free agency.

I think if they land one of those two and they draft a TE or WR in Round One of the draft, and they're a legit contender for the AFC Championship Game.

Are there any Jaguar fans on this board?

If so, is there any talk of the Jags going after Edge or Shaun Alexander in free agency.

I think if they land one of those two and they draft a TE or WR in Round One of the draft, and they're a legit contender for the AFC Championship Game.
There is some Edge talk (with the Miami connection and Colts rivalry) but not too much SA. I don't think they'll sign a marquee name.For the draft, a TE would make a lot of sense but there would be a revolt if they drafted a WR for the third year in a row. Who do you think they are, the Lions?

I really think they'll look at CB, OL, and LB in the draft/free agency.

I'm sure they'll take a RB somewhere, but it'll be interesting to see how happy they are with Greg Jones and how much they'll look for a replacement.

Thanks JaxBill.

Some teams I don't pay much attention too, and one is Jax.

I know they rattled off a bunch of wins, and people criticized them as they were lousy teams they beat.

I come from the school that 'you can only beat who's on your schedule'.

I'm a big fan of the Jags DTs, MLB and DBs.

I didn't think they were in a position to draft a project like Matt Jones last year, but in the grand scheme of things, he didn't do too poorly compared to the other rookie WRs of '05 - and he wasn't even a WR in college.

The Jags have to address their pass protection. Leftwich has shown the accuracy, toughness, and aggressiveness to lead a highly productive passing attact. The receivers have talent, but have also been among the league leaders for he last two years in drops. Leftwich took as much punishment as any QB this season due much in part to the o-line.

But the Jags starter's footwork as he steps into the his throws supposedly worries the team. This is according to ESPN radio host Anita Marx out of Miami. She mentioned all season long that the Jags told Garrard they wanted to keep him because Leftwich's throwing motion in terms of footwork makes him prone to injury. I can see how this could be a plausible issue. Leftwich's front leg goes out pretty far and he seems to plant that foot into the ground in a way that a solid shot could create a severe knee injury or the lower leg issues he has dealt with in the past.

The Jags have to know if they are going to stick with Leftwich, they have to give him a better running game and really build up the line. The lack of play action in the game plan (despite what they promised leading into the season) was one factor that allowed teams to tee off on the guy.

While I like Wilford and Jones, Reggie Williams is beginning to show signs of being an underachieving high draft pick that is deluded about what it means to be a successful starter in the NFL. Jimmy Smith is at best a year-to-year player at this point. He also had a lot of drops last season.

Something is just screwy about their offense and I think it has to do with the line play. I don't think they need a TE so badly. George Wrighster is a good receiving TE, but he wasn't used very often and I think it has to do with using Brady as the blocker to help out the line play.

This should be a pivotal offseason for the team. Either they make a move like the Bengals or they continue as a mediocre unit capable of playing up or down to their competition from week to week.

I

But the Jags starter's footwork as he steps into the his throws supposedly worries the team. This is according to ESPN radio host Anita Marx out of Miami. She mentioned all season long that the Jags told Garrard they wanted to keep him because Leftwich's throwing motion in terms of footwork makes him prone to injury. I can see how this could be a plausible issue. Leftwich's front leg goes out pretty far and he seems to plant that foot into the ground in a way that a solid shot could create a severe knee injury or the lower leg issues he has dealt with in the past. The Jags have to know if they are going to stick with Leftwich, they have to give him a better running game and really build up the line. The lack of play action in the game plan (despite what they promised leading into the season) was one factor that allowed teams to tee off on the guy.
IMO, as a Jax native who watches plenty of games from Orlando, Leftwich has a problem as he has a very slow delivery and seems to always want to "wind-up" his throws. Rather than cocking his arm and throwing from behind his ear with a quick release, it appears he "long arms it" (you know what I mean if you've ever played baseball) by taking the football all the way down to his hip and throwing from there. This allows opposing DBs to get a fraction more time to break on his passes and puts the WRs at a dis-advantage (when they DO catch the ball)

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Taylor is gone. I think (and hope) they make a strong play for Edge. I think it is a perfect fit. Edge wants to go to Florida, Jags want to go to the Super Bowl..... perfect match.

I'm not a Jag's "fan" but I like the team and the coach and I root for them to beat the cocky ### Colts every year. I would love nothing more than to watch Edge run all over the Colts twice a year for not showing him some damn respect.

I think Taylor is gone. I think (and hope) they make a strong play for Edge. I think it is a perfect fit. Edge wants to go to Florida, Jags want to go to the Super Bowl..... perfect match.

I'm not a Jag's "fan" but I like the team and the coach and I root for them to beat the cocky ### Colts every year. I would love nothing more than to watch Edge run all over the Colts twice a year for not showing him some damn respect.

What about G. Jones becoming the starter? He looked good in limited action last season. Either way, I think Taylor is gone....

The Jags have to address their pass protection. Leftwich has shown the accuracy, toughness, and aggressiveness to lead a highly productive passing attact. The receivers have talent, but have also been among the league leaders for he last two years in drops. Leftwich took as much punishment as any QB this season due much in part to the o-line.

But the Jags starter's footwork as he steps into the his throws supposedly worries the team. This is according to ESPN radio host Anita Marx out of Miami. She mentioned all season long that the Jags told Garrard they wanted to keep him because Leftwich's throwing motion in terms of footwork makes him prone to injury. I can see how this could be a plausible issue. Leftwich's front leg goes out pretty far and he seems to plant that foot into the ground in a way that a solid shot could create a severe knee injury or the lower leg issues he has dealt with in the past.

The Jags have to know if they are going to stick with Leftwich, they have to give him a better running game and really build up the line. The lack of play action in the game plan (despite what they promised leading into the season) was one factor that allowed teams to tee off on the guy.

While I like Wilford and Jones, Reggie Williams is beginning to show signs of being an underachieving high draft pick that is deluded about what it means to be a successful starter in the NFL. Jimmy Smith is at best a year-to-year player at this point. He also had a lot of drops last season.

Something is just screwy about their offense and I think it has to do with the line play. I don't think they need a TE so badly. George Wrighster is a good receiving TE, but he wasn't used very often and I think it has to do with using Brady as the blocker to help out the line play.

This should be a pivotal offseason for the team. Either they make a move like the Bengals or they continue as a mediocre unit capable of playing up or down to their competition from week to week.

I
Funny you should mention Lefty's delivery...Watching him play it is pretty apparent that he needs his feet to be in perfect position to be effective. Once he's not throwing in his optimal position he really doesn't do too much. Unfortunately in the NFL you can't make a living out of being perfectly protected and throwing under the best case circumstances. Right now I see him being a liabilty once you get to playoff level football where the teams and coaching staffs really have the ability to expose your weakness. Drew Bledsoe is another guy who had/has this problem. IMO Drew never really worked to improve in this area which is one of the reasons his career flattened out after early success. The key with Lefty will be improving his footwork and learning to be effective when the heat gets turned up. After watching his play against the Pats in the playoffs he has a ways to go before I see him being able to take a good Jax team to the next level.

Last edited by a moderator:
What about G. Jones becoming the starter? He looked good in limited action last season. Either way, I think Taylor is gone....
I thought he was decent but he played against some really bad defenses in that stretch and the Jags were doing every thing they could to get Taylor back in there so they must not be too high on him as the starter. I think he would make an excellent change of pace back for Edge..... :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread