What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jay Ajayi to Eagles (1 Viewer)

Everyone wants it to be Drake because they invested an early pick in him but he has shown nothing. Probably a fairly even split but I think Williams will put up better numbers.
IMO, they like Williams as a 3rd down back.  Williams may put up better numbers in a RBC but Drake gets more share.   

Are people really going to pick up a Dolphin RB after what we saw the past 7 weeks? The team does not have one rushing TD from a RB this year. But by all means, hurry to scoop up a RB who might share time on the worst offense in the leagues with a stud RB, who has been shut out twice...then come back and give us advice on football with a serious tone and see if you cant even crack a smile.
Oh, there is interest in the situation. I play in dynasty leagues with large 48-53 man rosters so there is value on any RB getting a decent volume of touches. I agree with the concept of questioning what sort of upside there is in that situation but there is value to be had in some formats.

NFL Leaders in rushing attempts inside the opponent's 5 yard line:
First (tied): Eagles - 12
Last: Dolphins - 0

While we are at it, lets take a step back and think how bad your coach has to be for the team he calls plays for to not have one rushing attempt inside the opponents 5 yard line.

Forget who the RB is, to have 0 attempts and to blame your RB for the problems you have while you personally bring in Jay Cutler and have coaches on your staff who snort some ivory and are dumb enough to record it should get you fired from any job in the NFL.

I had to add, who also calls the play of a jump ball from the 3 yard line to Julius Thomas on 1st and Goal. By all means, blame Ajayi though. I had Ajayi last year and won a title, so I am a fan...I do not own him this year but I do feel the pain of some. However, the kid is a great player, its not him, I think most know that.

Last edited by a moderator:
WheelsUp said:
NFL Leaders in rushing attempts inside the opponent's 5 yard line:
First (tied): Eagles - 12
Last: Dolphins - 0
Great stat line.  Source?

not that i’m doubting, but i want to find more meaningful stats like this.

zamboni said:
Agreed, but Blount hasn't entirely crapped the bed in recent weeks. Ajayi does give them a power back with more versatility in the passing game though, to be sure.

Hopefully they can get him up to speed by Sunday. And the guy gets another bye week in week 10 for his efforts.
Eagles have Denver this week then their bye.  So they'll have a couple of weeks to get him up to speed.  May not see much action this week.

Considering Gase was blaming Ajayi for at least some of his problems, and Landry for others,getting Ajayi out of Miami has to be a good thing for him.  But seriously, Ajayi has been constantly getting hit behind the LOS - how can you possibly say he is "trying to do too much" - just by grinding out 1 yard gains that most players would be losing yardage on?

Glad the Bills get the Dolphins twice this year - I seriously expect that team to quit after this.

Not sure I like the idea of Ajayi joining the committee in Philly - Blount and Smallwood have both looked pretty good, so don't see Ajayi being a feature back any more.

Bronco Billy said:
Seeing the deal reported all over the twitter universe.

For a 4th?  Nice deal for PHI.  Man, RBs have lost capital in the NFL in a big way.
No kidding. I'm not a fan but I'd think a pro bowl back would be worth more.

Ilov80s said:
Does this mean Damian Williams is a feature back?
Lol. Although he'll get more touches.

Upgrade for Ajayi for sure. Watching some of the games he's played, man the Dolphins OL is like swiss cheese. If Gase is blaming Ajayi for his troubles, he is an idiot. Looking forward however, hopefully they can game plan for something different in their offensive scheme. New lead RBs may change that, I mean it can't get any worse for Miami right?

Upgrade for Ajayi for sure. Watching some of the games he's played, man the Dolphins OL is like swiss cheese. If Gase is blaming Ajayi for his troubles, he is an idiot. Looking forward however, hopefully they can game plan for something different in their offensive scheme. New lead RBs may change that, I mean it can't get any worse for Miami right?
Now that the (ahem) clearly stone-handed Ajayi has been marched out of town at gunpoint, Miami will almost certainly become less predictable and start mixing screens to the rb on 1st and 2nd.  (No.  No sarcasm in there. ;)  )

Goes to a better team. Could see a massive reduction in carries with Blount still there. Doubt his role as a receiver changes. Uptick a bit in terms of TD potential.

If you're an Ajayi owner you're happy he's now on a much better team but the Eagles didn't give up much to get him so it's not like they're making a huge statement here that he is now The Guy. Definitely can't start him this week against Denver. Should learn more coming out of their Week 10 bye.  

Andy Dufresne said:
And... lol @ Gase thinking Ajayi is the problem with his offense.
Gase has made Miami into a team that punches above their weight in his tenure.  But he is way too loyal to the wrong personality (Cutler) and not at all loyal to the two best talents on the offense in a long time (Landry and Ajayi).  This is a terrible decision.

Bronco Billy said:
Seeing the deal reported all over the twitter universe.

For a 4th?  Nice deal for PHI.  Man, RBs have lost capital in the NFL in a big way.
A 4th seems like a solid return.  He only has 1 more year on his rookie deal and his longer term seems to have more risk with his knee than others might.  There are very functional RB's available in the draft

Adam Caplan ✔@caplannfl

Blount's inconsistency was part of why #Eagles made this deal. Ajayi's addition alleviates that issue. He'll be the main RB going fwd.

9:00 AM - Oct 31, 2017

Goes to a better team. Could see a massive reduction in carries with Blount still there. Doubt his role as a receiver changes. Uptick a bit in terms of TD potential.

If you're an Ajayi owner you're happy he's now on a much better team but the Eagles didn't give up much to get him so it's not like they're making a huge statement here that he is now The Guy. Definitely can't start him this week against Denver. Should learn more coming out of their Week 10 bye.  
I think this is a kind of "now or never" opportunity for Ajayi. He's had some really fantastic games but too many stretches where he's irrelevant. This is his best chance he'll get to show his worth to the league.

Is it out the realm of possibility that Blount is released after this trade? The team does need to cut someone, and Blount is on a cheap one-year deal.

Ajayi is the only back on the Eagles roster who can stay on the field in every situation. They'll feature him. Maybe not this week, but this year. Also, he's a young, talented back on a rookie contract that expires next year. Why wouldn't they give him a ton of touches to see what they've got? At best, a stud that they can resign for longer. At worst, a RB that is better than their other RBs that they can run into the ground for a cheap price over these two seasons. To trade a 4th rounder for him at this point in the season, only to give him a handful of touches doesn't really make sense.

I think this is a kind of "now or never" opportunity for Ajayi. He's had some really fantastic games but too many stretches where he's irrelevant. This is his best chance he'll get to show his worth to the league.
Agreed. Interesting story here about how much of a locker room problem Ajayi had become in Miami. Not the first time he's had issues like this. Going to a better team should help but if he wasn't happy getting 20+ carries in Miami how happy will he be sharing carries with Blount?

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article181846146.html

Adam Caplan ✔@caplannfl

Blount's inconsistency was part of why #Eagles made this deal. Ajayi's addition alleviates that issue. He'll be the main RB going fwd.

Maybe I'm crazy here. But I think there is a chance Blount gets dumped. I mean the Eagles aren't gonna carry 5 RB's, and Smallwood and Clement are on rookie deals, and Barner is their KR. If they liked Blount, they don't make this trade. 

Is it out the realm of possibility that Blount is released after this trade? The team does need to cut someone, and Blount is on a cheap one-year deal.
Clement seems the more likely option which sucks as a Badgers fan. Barner has become a key special teams player; Smallwood is really versatile and Blount has generally been solid lately.

Agreed. Interesting story here about how much of a locker room problem Ajayi had become in Miami. Not the first time he's had issues like this. Going to a better team should help but if he wasn't happy getting 20+ carries in Miami how happy will he be sharing carries with Blount?

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article181846146.html
i think winning cures all. the solution for a team that is inconsistent and struggling, especially on offense, is back to basics and there is nothing more fundamental than running the ball. they did that last year and it saved their season. 

FF Ninja said:
I own zero Blount stock, but the guy is averaging 4.7 ypc as an early down bruiser. He's also had literally zero garbage time (only 7 carries while behind and those were in one score game situations). I'm not sure what more they could want from him.
pass protection.  We just lost our starting LT and Ajayi is significantly better at pass pro than Blount.

Adam Caplan ✔@caplannfl

Matthew Berry‏Verified account @MatthewBerryTMR 21m21 minutes ago

Matthew Berry Retweeted Adam Caplan

For those worried about a RBBC.....@caplannfl is as plugged into the Eagles as anyone in the league.

Gase has made Miami into a team that punches above their weight in his tenure.  But he is way too loyal to the wrong personality (Cutler) and not at all loyal to the two best talents on the offense in a long time (Landry and Ajayi).  This is a terrible decision.
Landry is a garbage talent. I think he has he worst yards per target in the history of the league.

i think winning cures all. the solution for a team that is inconsistent and struggling, especially on offense, is back to basics and there is nothing more fundamental than running the ball. they did that last year and it saved their season. 
For what it's worth Seguro's story says Ajayi was pissed about his usage after wins too. I agree his chances of being happy should vastly improve now but this is a guy who has now clearly displayed attitude issues in each of the past two seasons. It does bear watching. 

Matthew Berry‏Verified account @MatthewBerryTMR 21m21 minutes ago

Matthew Berry Retweeted Adam Caplan

For those worried about a RBBC.....@caplannfl is as plugged into the Eagles as anyone in the league.
Yeah Caplan's info on the Eagles should always be taken with high value. Still think it's awfully risky starting Ajayi this week vs. Denver even if all the reports come out this week that he'll be the clear lead back. 

For what it's worth Seguro's story says Ajayi was pissed about his usage after wins too. I agree his chances of being happy should vastly improve now but this is a guy who has now clearly displayed attitude issues in each of the past two seasons. It does bear watching. 
Iggles fans won't put up with that kind of thing. He'll figure that out in short order. 

Landry is a garbage talent. I think he has he worst yards per target in the history of the league.
Landry was 21st in the league in YPT last year.  Ahead of Antonio Brown, Dez Bryant, Odell Beckham, Jordy Nelson, Demaryius Thomas, Larry Fitzgerald, DeAndre Hopkins, and Allen Robinson, among many others.

Ilov80s said:
How did he look?
Drake came in at the end of the game when the Ravens were up 40 to zilch. So playing soft.

They gave Drake some carries which I think we okay but you have to consider the circumstances at the time. He had 6 rushing attempts for 22 yards 1 target 0 receptions

Damien Williams missed multiple pass protection assignments prior to that as their passing down RB and got benched. Ajayi was in there and caught some passes after Williams made too many mistakes. He has no rushing attempts 2 targets 1 reception for -1 yards.

Drake didn't see the field until the very end.

I am going to guess Drake is the guy they try to go with, they did draft him in 3rd round last year (which I thought was a bad pick and too high).

If Williams hadn't played so badly I would maybe lean towards him, but he was terrible in the most recent game.

Likely some sort of a time share but if I were to pick one it would be Drake for the upside. It is unclear to me if Williams has lost favor with the coaching staff or not based on how bad he was in the most recent game.

Yeah Caplan's info on the Eagles should always be taken with high value. Still think it's awfully risky starting Ajayi this week vs. Denver even if all the reports come out this week that he'll be the clear lead back. 
i wouldn't start him this week even if there wasn't Blount, Smallwood, et al in the picture to muddy it. Denver's playing tough.

How well does Ajayi pass block?
He is ok in pass protection. Part of why he earned the workload he did last year.

Drake was not good at pass pro and still may not be, although I would think he has at least improved somewhat since last year.

Damien Williams has been their 3rd down RB and I think he has been ok in that area prior to the most recent game where he missed several protection assignments and was benched.

Landry was 21st in the league in YPT last year.  Ahead of Antonio Brown, Dez Bryant, Odell Beckham, Jordy Nelson, Demaryius Thomas, Larry Fitzgerald, DeAndre Hopkins, and Allen Robinson, among many others.
Fair enough... he’s still crap: http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/wr

Edit to add: He’s sporting a corvette level 5.0 YPT this year and an amazing 3.1 air yards per target. So essentially he’s a glorified 3rd down back.

Last edited by a moderator:
i wouldn't start him this week even if there wasn't Blount, Smallwood, et al in the picture to muddy it. Denver's playing tough.
Heavy volume hasn't been enough to help Ajayi in the easiest of matchups. Hard to see him doing well if he gets it against the Denver D. I agree that it'd be a major risk starting him this week. I am curious to see if they plan to throw him right in as the clear lead back as Caplan is saying. 

Now that the (ahem) clearly stone-handed Ajayi has been marched out of town at gunpoint, Miami will almost certainly become less predictable and start mixing screens to the rb on 1st and 2nd.  (No.  No sarcasm in there. ;)  )
He actually isn't stone handed at all. Very capable receiving RB that Miami just never used in that capacity much.

He doesn't have good yards per reception numbers as a pro, but he can catch the ball.

I'm surprised at the lack of  :pickle: in this thread. I can't help but think part of it is Blount owners  :kicksrock:

Ajayi is a featured back going to a good team in need of a featured back. They aren't getting it from their RBBC experiment. 

I do think the possibility of Blount being released is high

Drake came in at the end of the game when the Ravens were up 40 to zilch. So playing soft.

They gave Drake some carries which I think we okay but you have to consider the circumstances at the time. He had 6 rushing attempts for 22 yards 1 target 0 receptions

Damien Williams missed multiple pass protection assignments prior to that as their passing down RB and got benched. Ajayi was in there and caught some passes after Williams made too many mistakes. He has no rushing attempts 2 targets 1 reception for -1 yards.

Drake didn't see the field until the very end.

I am going to guess Drake is the guy they try to go with, they did draft him in 3rd round last year (which I thought was a bad pick and too high).

If Williams hadn't played so badly I would maybe lean towards him, but he was terrible in the most recent game.

Likely some sort of a time share but if I were to pick one it would be Drake for the upside. It is unclear to me if Williams has lost favor with the coaching staff or not based on how bad he was in the most recent game.
i thought Drake looked surprisingly good in those few plays. he had nice burst. that said, it was a blow out and the end of the game. it's not the best proving ground for any player.

zamboni said:
The new coach will get his own guy next year.
If you mean the new guy as in whoever replaces Gase, then yeah. This guy is not for long in Miami. He got "his guy" in Cutler and while not terrible , it shows he hasn't got the full grasp of how to run this thing. You can't start out downplaying Ajayi, then acting like you want to run him 50 plays a game, then acting like he is the problem. That much didn't change. He's looking in the wrong place. 

People asking who is the guy to get for the dolphins?   Anyone watching this teams knows the answer is nobody.  Gase did Ajayi a favor. 

I'm surprised at the lack of  :pickle: in this thread. I can't help but think part of it is Blount owners  :kicksrock:

Ajayi is a featured back going to a good team in need of a featured back. They aren't getting it from their RBBC experiment. 

I do think the possibility of Blount being released is high
It’s another lost two weeks for Ajayi owners who have already struggled this year in redraft. I’m sure most will start him against Denver but it’s not a great matchup and then he gets a second bye.

Users who are viewing this thread