What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jay Cutler (1 Viewer)

Mr. Peterson

Footballguy
I was watching CBS this morning and they were talking about how Cutler made a statement that he has a much better arm than Elway. Did anyone else watch this or have a link to it?

I didn't see it, but I don't doubt that he does. That's not a knock on Elway, of course, as he's nowhere near the QB that Elway was.

I didn't see it, but I don't doubt that he does. That's not a knock on Elway, of course, as he's nowhere near the QB that Elway was.
Who would say that anyways about the greatest football player to ever play in your organization? It makes no sense for him to come out and say something like that about a legend.

I was watching CBS this morning and they were talking about how Cutler made a statement that he has a much better arm than Elway. Did anyone else watch this or have a link to it?
Let's find out if it was said mockingly. I bet he's stronger than Elway. Wouldn't doubt if he has better arm strength. However as Jeff George and Ryan Leaf have shown, a cannon doesn't make a qb.

I wouldn't be surprised if CBS took this statement out of context. I highly doubt Cutler would come out and say something like this out of the blue.

I wouldn't be surprised if CBS took this statement out of context. I highly doubt Cutler would come out and say something like this out of the blue.
oh I think it's like that too. Was just saying it's not like he said he was faster, or a better runner than Elway (as that last fumble showed), but that the statement isn't as shocking as it seems at face vale (as it may be true) even if true.

oh I think it's like that too. Was just saying it's not like he said he was faster, or a better runner than Elway (as that last fumble showed), but that the statement isn't as shocking as it seems at face vale (as it may be true) even if true.
I agree.

-- Cutler on his arm vs. John Elway's: "I have a stronger arm than John, hands down. I'll bet on it against anybody's in the league. Brett Favre's got a cannon. But on game days, there's nobody in the league who's going to throw it harder than I am at all."

Link to Cutler quote

The great ones almost always are confident, even over confident. Just makes me like Cutler all the more....

-- Cutler on his arm vs. John Elway's: "I have a stronger arm than John, hands down. I'll bet on it against anybody's in the league. Brett Favre's got a cannon. But on game days, there's nobody in the league who's going to throw it harder than I am at all."

Link to Cutler quote
Dumb comment to make.
Exactly. Why would he say that (even if he was baited) involving the most popular player that has ever played for your organization? It's is just a dumb thing to say.

Link to Cutler quote
Dumb comment to make.
Exactly. Why would he say that (even if he was baited) involving the most popular player that has ever played for your organization? It's is just a dumb thing to say.
He believes it. ... and I think he's probably right.

Cutler did an interview w/ Marshall Faulk and was very humble towards Elway and his legacy... he's not being a punk about this comment on CBS. Just being honest w/ his opinion.

Cutler is a stud, but there's no payoff for this comment. It's all downside.

No big deal, just a young guy full of piss and wind.

He's wrong, by the way.

we want our sports stars to be honest and then when they are we trash emhe does have a stronger arm in my (and it seems his own) opinionbut he has 2 less super bowls :confused:

Mr. Peterson said:
Paper Lions said:
stickboy said:

Link to Cutler quote
Dumb comment to make.
I am as big a Broncos fan as there is, and Elway is my favorite player we have ever had, and I do not mind the comment at all..Superstars need that level of confidence that borders on cockiness..If he believes it is true why should he have to bite his tongue? I am so sick of the politically correct movement.

He is overrated. After two games people already figured him out. Kyle Orton played better the past 4 games than Jay Cutler and thats saying a lot.

He is overrated. After two games people already figured him out. Kyle Orton played better the past 4 games than Jay Cutler and thats saying a lot.
He's done better than Peyton Manning, Carson Palmer, and Donovan McNabb too. Orton has been lighting it up all year, I think you're still thinking of the Orton of the past.

:shrug: Sorry you didn't draft him.
Hehe, the guy who owns Jay Cutler in my league drafted Romo first. I traded Addai, Palmer, and Marvin harrison for Romo. Now Romo threw 3 tds the past games. Best decision I ever made.

:goodposting: Sorry you didn't draft him.
Hehe, the guy who owns Jay Cutler in my league drafted Romo first. I traded Addai, Palmer, and Marvin harrison for Romo. Now Romo threw 3 tds the past games. Best decision I ever made.
Check the news bro...Romo out 4 weeks...

oh man thats bad lol

If this is true I weep for you.And that is not even considering the fact that Romo is out for 4 weeks.

:thumbup: Sorry you didn't draft him.
oh man thats bad lol
:lol: that's pretty funny

:thumbup: Sorry you didn't draft him.
oh man thats bad lol
:lol: that's pretty funny
Totally jinx'd myself lol. Matt Schaub to the rescue!

Hipple said:
He has to learn that its not strong enough to throw THRU jax defenders.
I could have swore he actually did this on one play.The ball was coming right at the Jaguar defender and he stuck his right arm back to catch it, but he couldn't move it quick enough and just popped the ball up and it went right to Darrell Jackson who was behind the defender. In real time it looked like he threw the ball right through the defender.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reading the Sporting News interview [where the quote was pulled from], Cutler wasn't insulting John Elway. I love how a player suggesting he has a better arm is taken as disrespectful. Now, had Cutler said Elway was overrated, or suggested he was clearly a better QB than the Hall of Famer, or something of that ilk, then sure I could see people taking offense. But Cutler said he has the league's strongest arm WITHOUT implying that having a strong arm means much in the context of being a great NFL QB. Sounds like he's actually got a good head on his shoulders.

Plus, if you read the rest of the interview, he's a very reserved kid who not only doesn't want to talk to the media, but actually can't stand doing so. All he cares about is being a great player and a good teammate. I'd much rather have that guy at the helm than some blowhard who charms the pants off the media but is selfish and unfocused in the huddle.

Jayrod said:
Hipple said:
He has to learn that its not strong enough to throw THRU jax defenders.
I could have swore he actually did this on one play.The ball was coming right at the Jaguar defender and he stuck his right arm back to catch it, but he couldn't move it quick enough and just popped the ball up and it went right to Darrell Jackson who was behind the defender. In real time it looked like he threw the ball right through the defender.
It was Marinez. Horrible decision to throw that ball, defender cut the slant. But the ball was so far beheind the defender (who was where he was "supposed to be") that in trying to catch it with his right hand, that he popped it up about 2 ft in the air and martinez made a helluva play on it.

drew726 said:
KoolKat said:
drew726 said:
oh man thats bad lol
that is sig material

It's an idiotic statement. The better arms are attached to hands that wear Super Bowl rings.
Hey Bermuda, you don't honestly think physical arm strength is highly correlated with Super Bowl rings, do you? If that were the case Jeff George would be blingin'.

Mr. Peterson said:
In 2008, there's no question.

Reading the Sporting News interview [where the quote was pulled from], Cutler wasn't insulting John Elway. I love how a player suggesting he has a better arm is taken as disrespectful. Now, had Cutler said Elway was overrated, or suggested he was clearly a better QB than the Hall of Famer, or something of that ilk, then sure I could see people taking offense. But Cutler said he has the league's strongest arm WITHOUT implying that having a strong arm means much in the context of being a great NFL QB. Sounds like he's actually got a good head on his shoulders. Plus, if you read the rest of the interview, he's a very reserved kid who not only doesn't want to talk to the media, but actually can't stand doing so. All he cares about is being a great player and a good teammate. I'd much rather have that guy at the helm than some blowhard who charms the pants off the media but is selfish and unfocused in the huddle.
I don't have a problem with the Elway quote, but having read the article I thought Cutler came across as a bit of a d**k. And I'm not anti-Cutler. I didn't know much about him previously but I wasn't all that impressed with how he presented himself in that story.

Reading the Sporting News interview [where the quote was pulled from], Cutler wasn't insulting John Elway. I love how a player suggesting he has a better arm is taken as disrespectful. Now, had Cutler said Elway was overrated, or suggested he was clearly a better QB than the Hall of Famer, or something of that ilk, then sure I could see people taking offense. But Cutler said he has the league's strongest arm WITHOUT implying that having a strong arm means much in the context of being a great NFL QB. Sounds like he's actually got a good head on his shoulders. Plus, if you read the rest of the interview, he's a very reserved kid who not only doesn't want to talk to the media, but actually can't stand doing so. All he cares about is being a great player and a good teammate. I'd much rather have that guy at the helm than some blowhard who charms the pants off the media but is selfish and unfocused in the huddle.
:lol: I don't get why this is even newsworthy. We know Cutler has a cannon. That's all he's saying here.

It's an idiotic statement. The better arms are attached to hands that wear Super Bowl rings.
Hey Bermuda, you don't honestly think physical arm strength is highly correlated with Super Bowl rings, do you? If that were the case Jeff George would be blingin'.
"Better" is a relative notion carrying all sorts of connotations that supercede physical arm strength. If you asked eleven guys at a sports bar who had the "best" arm in NFL history, six would say Elway and four would say Favre. The 11th would look perplexed and admit he was only there to keep tabs on his fantasy team. Cutler is a smart guy, and he knew what he was saying. He's trying to behead the ghost of Elway before its time.Of course, I'd agree that the only blingin' you'll ever hear out of Jeff George is the sound his head makes when contents shift.

[edited to say] Ha, ha. Perhaps I should read the quote rather than the thread subject header. On second take, it's an honest, if ill-considered statement.

That's why I picked up Brad Johnson just now. He has a ring after all. Championship!!!I only wish Doug Williams, Jeff Hostetler, Mark Rypien and Trent Dilfer were available for me to claim off the ol' waiver wire. Imagine the stable of "better arms" I'd have then. I was never big on Marino for the same reason. Imagine the kind of player he would have been if he had "rings" on those fingers. He may have worked his way up to Trent Dilfer level. Comparisons with Elway are going to be inevitable. The only fair way to judge is either at the end of Cutler's career or against Elway's career at a similar point. If we were just going on arm strength, I've never seen a guy throw it further in the air than Michael Bishop. That guy could take down planes.

To be fair to Bermuda, he edited his initial response to admit to having misconstrued the Cutler quote. Let's not pile on here.

drew726 said:
Jayrod said:
drew726 said:
:shrug: Sorry you didn't draft him.
SEE LINK

He's got a cannon. If he didn't he would throw 30 INT's a year. Someone on that staff needs to teach this guy to scan the field. Nobody stares down the primary target like Cutler and gets away with it. That is because of his arm. If he could scan the field as fast as Favre does, he would be unstoppable. I shouldn't complain I guess as his primary target (Marshall) has 70 targets in 5 games. :boxing: On pace for 210 targets!

Users who are viewing this thread