What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jeopardy Baby, Ooooh-ooh-oooooh (2 Viewers)

I might get tomatoes thrown at my head for this, but I don't care. Ken is a better host of Jeopardy! than Alex Trebek was. The way he responds to the player anecdotes, knows when to inject a touch of humor into correct response confirmations, and his history on their side of the lecterns means he has a relatability to the players that Trebek could never have. He knows how to treat the players with respect when they've earned it, empathy if they're struggling, and admiration for a tough answer or a winning streak, and his banter with the players is miles and miles better than Trebek's was. Unlike Alex, he doesn't throw on a haughty accent for every European related category, he doesn't deride the players with snark or sarcasm for a wrong response, and he doesn't give the "Bless your heart" smirk and a verbal "aww good for you" response to the players anecdotes. My biggest complaint of Trebek was always how he kept this air of superiority over the players. I'll give you that Ken doesn't have the most perfect speaking voice, and he's got a slight lisp, but he just embodies everything about Jeopardy! and he should be THE singular host of ALL things Jeopardy! for the foreseeable future IMO.
I think you may be missing the point that Alex started hosting back in 1973. Hosting was way different back then. Also, I have no idea where you are getting the "haughty", "snark", or "sarcasm" from. He just didn't do that.

You may be mistaking "the air of superiority" thing with the distance required between hosts and contestants after the game show scandals. The consequences there were none too pretty.

FJ was new 18th century words and the question was tattoo. Leviticus 19:28 mentioned tattoos as prohibited.

The King James English translation was done in 1611.
Doesn't mention "tattoos".

Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the LORD.

Today’s Final Jeopardy question (5/12/2023) in the category “New Words in the 18th Century” was:

Describing these, Captain Cook wrote, “the manner in which” they’re done “must certainly cause intollerable pain”

More information about Final Jeopardy:​

(The following write-up is original content and is copyright 2023 The Jeopardy! Fan. It may not be copied without linked attribution back to this page.)

While on his voyages in the South Pacific, Captain Cook wrote extensively about the body art of the Maoris; Cook described the art itself as “The figures they mostly use are spirals, drawn and connected together with great nicety and judgement.”

Before any subject-matter experts get their hackles up about this clue: I do not believe there is anything incorrect about clue or category.

While other definitions of “tattoo”—namely, the military definition, referring to the signal calling soldiers to quarters—date from earlier, the specific usage of the word “tattoo” referring to body art does appear to date from Captain Cook’s 18th-century description.

I should also note that the general practice of modern Western tattooing definitely not originate with Cook’s descriptions; tattoo historian Anna Felicity Friedman goes into a lengthy discussion of what is known in tattoo circles as “the Cook myth”.

Friday was one of the most non-competitive games of Jeopardy I have ever seen. Hannah is a great player but her opponents were both absolute duds. By early in the DJ round the only matter of suspense was whether we'd have a rare episode where only one person made it to Final Jeopardy (we didn't, barely).

On Thursday Hannah was saved by weird wagering a second time. Hannah bet enough to tie, but not to beat, the second-place player if the second-place player had wagered everything and they were both correct. But the second-place player bet everything but $5, and lost by $5 when they were both correct. Baffling by both of them.

Friday was one of the most non-competitive games of Jeopardy I have ever seen. Hannah is a great player but her opponents were both absolute duds. By early in the DJ round the only matter of suspense was whether we'd have a rare episode where only one person made it to Final Jeopardy (we didn't, barely).

On Thursday Hannah was saved by weird wagering a second time. Hannah bet enough to tie, but not to beat, the second-place player if the second-place player had wagered everything and they were both correct. But the second-place player bet everything but $5, and lost by $5 when they were both correct. Baffling by both of them.
I didn't even bother to yell this time.

As entertaining as Jeopardy Masters is, it’s really all about who finds the Daily Doubles. When all players are great at the game, the DDs make even more of a difference than they normally do. And it’s exaggerated even more in this format, where the scoring system encourages you to go for the win and thus to bet big on any DD you find.

As entertaining as Jeopardy Masters is, it’s really all about who finds the Daily Doubles. When all players are great at the game, the DDs make even more of a difference than they normally do. And it’s exaggerated even more in this format, where the scoring system encourages you to go for the win and thus to bet big on any DD you find.

very much so, Jeopardy is a solved game - variance in finding DDs is generally the determinant amongst elite players

8x champ Hannah got steamrolled

37th highest amount won in regular season game - $60,000

70th highest Coryat - 31,600

I'm loving the banter and camraderie from all the Masters contestants. But the gameplay has been generally pretty boring. James is laying waste to this competition. I think it's pretty clear at this point that the only true and worthy challenger that James has ever had is Ken.
It’s pretty clear that if James finds the DDs, he wins. And he still might win if he doesn’t find them, as was the case yesterday.

I'm loving the banter and camraderie from all the Masters contestants. But the gameplay has been generally pretty boring. James is laying waste to this competition. I think it's pretty clear at this point that the only true and worthy challenger that James has ever had is Ken.
And he's really arrogant.

Don't forget haughty. Or snarky.

It’s astonishing to remember it’s been years since he had that buzzer in his hand. It’s like he missed no time at all. His timing is incredible.

I like that he's embraced being the heel. Doesn't take himself too seriously. I like all of the players for different reasons (the girl fm Toronto a little less so but it takes all kinds.)

I like that they are all comfortable up there. Yes, James always looks a little uncomfortable though. There isn't that nervousness of "holy crap I'm on Jeopardy", and they've all won before.
I hates seeing Sam finish last, I really like him.

Don't forget haughty. Or snarky.
I really touched a nerve with that huh?

it's not that I didn't like Alex or don't recognize and appreciate all he did for the show. He's a revered figure in that world, as well he should be. And your comment about the separation of host and contestant with respect to gameshow scandals was a good one, and one I hadn't really considered. I just much prefer Ken as host, and I could have explained that better without putting down Alex in the process.

I like that they are all comfortable up there. Yes, James always looks a little uncomfortable though. There isn't that nervousness of "holy crap I'm on Jeopardy", and they've all won before.
I hates seeing Sam finish last, I really like him.

$50K and $75K for finishing bottom 2 ain't bad.

My gosh, they are all terrific at this game, it's just that James is Wayne Gretzky.

How have the ratings been for Jeopardy! Masters? Such great entertainment, hope they've been crushing it.

Ben Chan is now 7 for 7 in runaway games, which I believe the first player to win his first 7 that way? (6 was the most for a new champion since 2003....the year they removed the 5-game champions limit.)

Impressive....and also, 21 games behind Ken Jennings record of 28 straight runaway games (Games 21-48 of his record streak.)

Ben Chan, career statistics:​

205 correct, 15 incorrect
7/9 on rebound attempts (on 25 rebound opportunities)
46.62% in first on buzzer (186/399)
15/18 on Daily Doubles (Net Earned: $38,205)
6/7 in Final Jeopardy
Average Coryat: $24,114

The one thing I have in common with Ben is his love of even numbers, his final wagers indicator one way or the other.

5th taping of the day was a rough one for him - missed 5 Qs, including (I think) all 3 DDs? Still a runaway - 8 out of 8 - but was not quite right, by his own astronomical standards.

Found the answer to my query yesterday as to whether that is a record:

After another commanding victory last night, Ben Chan now has seven runaways in seven games; the only other player to do that was Chuck Forrest, who also had runaways in his first seven trips to the stage. However, we get into a bit of a counting issue regarding Chuck’s eighth match. Chuck’s eighth match was a 2-day match, the Tournament of Champions final of 1986. In that match, Chuck only led Paul Rouffa and Marvin Shinkman $7,600–$4,000–$2,800 going into Final Jeopardy! on the first day of the final. However, Chuck’s Day 2 performance was enough to go into Final Jeopardy! on that second day with a lock tournament. So, the question is: does Chuck Forrest have 8 runaways to start a Jeopardy! career, or does he just have 7?

Ben $19,000 Coryat, 29 correct, 5 incorrect, 54.39% in first on buzzer (31/57), 0/0 on rebound attempts (on 4 rebound opportunities)
Erica $4,800 Coryat, 9 correct, 2 incorrect, 17.54% in first on buzzer (10/57), 0/1 on rebound attempts (on 6 rebound opportunities)
Chris $3,400 Coryat, 9 correct, 3 incorrect, 19.30% in first on buzzer (11/57), 1/1 on rebound attempts (on 4 rebound opportunities)
Combined Coryat Score: $27,200
Lach Trash: $14,000 (on 11 Triple Stumpers)

That's not an especially well played game, but does demonstrate how buzzer domination will protect an elite player weary from the 5 games a day schedule.

Ben is special - 47.59% in first on buzzer (217/456) lifetime so far. For some context, a larger sample size here from the Masters and the Commander:
  • James 53.04% in first on buzzer (1562/2945)
  • Matt 51.47% in first on buzzer (1399/2718)
  • Amy 46.35% in first on buzzer (1475/3182)
  • Mattea 41.37% in first on buzzer (772/1866)
  • Sam 34.94% in first on buzzer (378/1082)
  • Andrew 33.25% in first on buzzer (398/1197)
  • Ken 57.14% in first on buzzer (3009/5265)

9 games, 9 runaways

8/9 on FJ (tho obv zero pressure)

challenger Joe (astronautical engineer) was very good on the buzzer but too many misses

Ben got off to a fast start, 25 correct 2 incorrect, pretty routine game by his amazing standards

Average Coryat: $22,933

comparison:

Holzhauer $25,563
Jennings $24,979
Amodio $24,367
Schneider $22,989

As my mailman once said, one letter can make all the difference. 📬

Ben’s answer:

Who are Beatrice & Benedict Benedict?

I thought he realized his error and meant to rewrite BENEDICK. But nope, he said on r/jeopardy he was worried the first answer was illegible.

8/10 on FJ. Missed his first by one number, the last by one letter.

One short of Superchamp, too 20 on the all-time money list

I've never even heard of that obscure play.
And that ruling was so bad, I almost expected the audience to yell "Blow Job" and "Eat Me!". :rant:

I've never even heard of that obscure play.
And that ruling was so bad, I almost expected the audience to yell "Blow Job" and "Eat Me!". :rant:
I assume you are kidding about the obscure part. Kenneth Branagh directed the movie version in 1993.
Thanks for the clarification. I didn't recall the names from MAAN.
What did you think of the ruling on the answer?

Ben Chan gave this response yesterday:

“’Benedict’ is incorrect. The character’s name is Benedick. As Ken Jennings (presciently) noted on my first episode, there is no partial credit on Jeopardy! (Yes, I was sooo close!) I made some bad flashcards. The ‘Benedict’ misspelling is common, and it worked its way onto a couple of my flashcards.”

Finally got caught up on the Masters on my DVR. Wow. Mattea impressed the hell out of me In that tournament. I had kind of written them off after their short stint in the TOC but this was a much better showing in the Masters. James even mentioned on Twitter afterward that Mattea is the only person that ever had him frazzled and unable to ring in and it happened twice.

I didn't get to see very much at all of Matt's initial run, and his TOC appearance was also pretty short like Mattea's, but he is an extremely likable and funny dude. Really glad he made the finals and will get to be in Masters again next year.

Users who are viewing this thread