What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jeopardy Baby, Ooooh-ooh-oooooh (1 Viewer)

8 incorrect responses from all three players combined is more like it

Jeopardy poetry categories are a mile wide and an inch deep

people still don't understand basic FJ wagering

Final Jeopardy! wagering suggestions:​

(Scores: Ilhana $21,000 Nathan $10,756 Diandra $7,200)

Diandra: Limit your bet to $6,175; this way, you have the best chance of staying ahead of Nathan if he’s incorrect. (Actual bet: $7,199)

Ilhana: Standard cover bet over Nathan is $513. (Actual bet: $600)

Nathan: You have to bet at least $9,733 to have any chance of winning today. (Actual bet: $3,745)

I want to visit those Greek Pyrenees.

Good lord.

I probably forgot something about the category which made Andorra the correct response, my guess was Spain or France (forget the tiny principality is sandwiched in between.)

Last night's trio had no rhythm, no one went on any runs, 17 triple stumpers....game was a slog. But tbf there were some hard clues. FJ typified the kind of game it was for the contestants and the writers: Geena Davis and sports would immediately take you to League of Their Own....2012 was in the clue so I had no clue what they were going for - archery probably would not have been in my first half dozen guesses.

FJ typified the kind of game it was for the contestants and the writers: Geena Davis and sports would immediately take you to League of Their Own....2012 was in the clue so I had no clue what they were going for - archery probably would not have been in my first half dozen guesses.
They said franchise film so I thought maybe I missed a sequel where there was some sort of LOTO reunion.

FJ typified the kind of game it was for the contestants and the writers: Geena Davis and sports would immediately take you to League of Their Own....2012 was in the clue so I had no clue what they were going for - archery probably would not have been in my first half dozen guesses.
They said franchise film so I thought maybe I missed a sequel where there was some sort of LOTO reunion.
You either have to know that LOTO did not come out in 2012 but that Hunger games did, or that Geena Davis was competitive in archery. From Wikipedia:

In July 1999, Davis was one of 300 women who vied for a semifinals berth in the U.S. Olympic archery team to participate in the Sydney 2000 Summer Olympics. She placed 24th and did not qualify for the team, but participated as a wild-card entry in the Sydney International Golden Arrow competition. In August 1999, she stated that she was not an athlete growing up and that she entered archery in 1997, two years before her tryouts.

You either have to know that LOTO did not come out in 2012 but that Hunger games did, or that Geena Davis was competitive in archery. From Wikipedia:

In July 1999, Davis was one of 300 women who vied for a semifinals berth in the U.S. Olympic archery team to participate in the Sydney 2000 Summer Olympics. She placed 24th and did not qualify for the team, but participated as a wild-card entry in the Sydney International Golden Arrow competition. In August 1999, she stated that she was not an athlete growing up and that she entered archery in 1997, two years before her tryouts.
I knew it probably wasn't baseball or softball because the year didn't match up with when LOTO came out. But I've never seen Hunger Games and had no idea that Geena Davis was into archery, so I was totally lost. My son was born in 2011, so we were definitely not watching non-Disney movies in 2012. Movies since 2011 is probably one of my worst categories.

Mayim screwed up again. She accepted "macaroon" for "macaron" when they're not the same thing (and "macaroon" didn't match the description in the clue). Luckily for the show, the contestant she ruled in favor of was way behind all game so her mistake didn't affect the outcome.
So you could hear me yelling at the screen from there?
I watched it on DVR, but I heard a faint echo earlier. :laugh:

I yelled at the screen as well. Especially because our family loves macarons and hates macaroons.

Mayim screwed up again. She accepted "macaroon" for "macaron" when they're not the same thing (and "macaroon" didn't match the description in the clue). Luckily for the show, the contestant she ruled in favor of was way behind all game so her mistake didn't affect the outcome.
My daughter actually overheard that one and yelled "that isn't the same thing".

When do the post Mayim episodes start? Could be a reason to hope the writers strike goes long.

Not soon enough. It's really something how much she annoys me - her awkward pauses, her feigned surprised laugh every time a daily double pops up, her awful segues to commercial breaks... even the way she pronounces words like 'singer'. Ugh.

I was rooting for the guy who said he had three failed cancer treatments, and you could tell the audience was too. Too bad he didn’t know FJ.

I’d think he’d get a Second Chance bid if he’s healthy enough to play.

I was rooting for the guy who said he had three failed cancer treatments, and you could tell the audience was too. Too bad he didn’t know FJ.

I’d think he’d get a Second Chance bid if he’s healthy enough to play.

💯 - great story & played well enough to win

Whereas our current 5x champion has played bad enough to lose four times but keeps pulling it out of the fire in FJ

Tuesday was another weak episode. Lots of triple stumpers that shouldn't have been -- not just the "hallowed" fiasco. The champ keeps benefiting from weak opponents. However, I thought Buzzy benefited from weak opponents during his original run, and he went on to win what may have been the most stacked TOC up to that point.

Tuesday was another weak episode. Lots of triple stumpers that shouldn't have been -- not just the "hallowed" fiasco. The champ keeps benefiting from weak opponents. However, I thought Buzzy benefited from weak opponents during his original run, and he went on to win what may have been the most stacked TOC up to that point.
I guess you are a day behind, so won’t spoil result from tonight. But a lot of triple stumpers tonight too — the novel category in particular seemed pretty easy to me, but, uh, not to the contestants.

I guess you are a day behind, so won’t spoil result from tonight. But a lot of triple stumpers tonight too — the novel category in particular seemed pretty easy to me, but, uh, not to the contestants.
Thanks, I am a day behind. My wife watches with me so it's often up to her as to whether we are caught up or not -- she goes to bed earlier than I do so it depends on how tired she is on any given day. I usually don't come in this thread unless I'm caught up, but I got your post reaction notification and I was too impatient not to check it out.

As I said before, I don't read much fiction, so I'll probably suck at the novels category too. If I read it in high school or college, I probably know it. If I didn't, it's a question of whether I can glean the Jeopardy writers' tells and preferences. (eg, almost any literature question involving Mississippi is about Faulkner; almost any legal novel that is not obviously To Kill a Mockingbird is Grisham.)

Exiting the thread now so y'all can discuss today's episode if you want.

Thanks, I am a day behind. My wife watches with me so it's often up to her as to whether we are caught up or not -- she goes to bed earlier than I do so it depends on how tired she is on any given day. I usually don't come in this thread unless I'm caught up, but I got your post reaction notification and I was too impatient not to check it out.

As I said before, I don't read much fiction, so I'll probably suck at the novels category too. If I read it in high school or college, I probably know it. If I didn't, it's a question of whether I can glean the Jeopardy writers' tells and preferences. (eg, almost any literature question involving Mississippi is about Faulkner; almost any legal novel that is not obviously To Kill a Mockingbird is Grisham.)

Exiting the thread now so y'all can discuss today's episode if you want.
Oddly, the answer was To Kill A Mockingbird.

We watch a lot of the wheel and jeopardy during the school months but are usually still outside in the summer when it comes on weeknights.

So a few nights ago during our “late” dinner I put on an episode of the wheel and jeopardy from 1983/1984. Pretty fun/nostalgic. Miss those days.

I’m was so annoyed last night by the contestants who not only went exclusively top down the entire board but also L to R the first 15 clues. Live a little! Hunt for the DD!! Try to win.
I thought today's finder of both DD DJs was way too conservative on their bets,
but no harm was done

I’m was so annoyed last night by the contestants who not only went exclusively top down the entire board but also L to R the first 15 clues. Live a little! Hunt for the DD!! Try to win.
I thought today's finder of both DD DJs was way too conservative on their bets,
but no harm was done

Solid player, not really exceptional on the buzzer (20/57) but pretty much wire to wire - 22 correct, 2 misses. Ultra conservative is not the way long term but it's her first game, we'll see if she switches up.

But I have a feeling a lady with a 907 day streak for the NYT crossword puzzle is probably a creature of habit.

Wondering how they order the questions in the categories. Clutch was $1000 while W in 10W40 was $200. Should have been the other way around.
There is little rhyme or reason to how they determine that stuff. Often it makes sense but sometimes it doesn’t. Vetting that way is not a major part of the preparation process.

Users who are viewing this thread