What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jerry Sandusky accused of child molestation (1 Viewer)

and fat nick, i know you are reading. Sometimes one mistake can ruin a legacy, if the mistake is big enough.

A witch hunt? The facts are they he knew that someone he worked closely with was caught raping a boy in the PSU shower and continued worked with the rapist for years, further enabling him to rape more boys. How on earth anyone - even a PSU alum - can still revere Paterno as a 'man with great, moral history' is beyond me.
We have no facts except someone published a book back in '28 for $1.
Touché

A witch hunt? The facts are they he knew that someone he worked closely with was caught raping a boy in the PSU shower and continued worked with the rapist for years, further enabling him to rape more boys. How on earth anyone - even a PSU alum - can still revere Paterno as a 'man with great, moral history' is beyond me.
We have no facts except someone published a book back in '28 for $1.
Touché
Its spelled Touched.

Here's what I'm tired of: PSU supporters now complaining about this being a witch hunt against Joe Paterno (and the school) and not enough focus on Sandusky. These are the same people that want to point out what a pillar Joe Paterno was/is to the PSU community, how his 60 years of service has done yadda yadda yadda for the school, students, etc. so he desrves to be treated better, blah blah, blah.

So, for someone so integral (and upstanding) to have this happen on "his watch" it is absolutely justifiable for him to be held accountable and the main lightning rod in the public and media's eyes.

You can't have it both ways.
Here's what I'm tired of: People not recognizing that A LOT of this HAS been a witch hunt against Joe Paterno. (i.e. the whole "did he transfer his house to his wife" thing). Search the number of times Paterno's name has been mentioned vs. Sandusky's, and I think you'll see the point. And I was one of those people supporting Paterno, and while I get the firing (which I didn't earlier), I still think he deserved better than a phone call. The line that people have a hard time getting is that someone can be integral and upstanding and influence a university without having hard, defined, written power. It's like the Queen of England vs. the PM. The Queen is much more recognizable, and very well regarded, etc...but the Prime Minister has more real power in day-to-day affairs. Paterno, on paper, was JUST THE HEAD FOOTBALL COACH. Hell, one could even argue that even that was just a title as he hadn't REALLY coached for a while. Nowhere in PSU by-laws is it written that Joe Paterno can do whatever he wants. This isn't a black/white issue. Joe Paterno CAN be revered as a man with a great, moral history, AND a man who made one horrible mistake that undoubtedly tarnished that legacy. I AM a PSU alum, and if you ask me what I think about Paterno, I'd say exactly that...he's a GREAT man who made a HORRIBLE mistake. To try and strip the man of everything plays back into the witch hunt mentality.

I think at this point, the PSU community has been kicked around in this thread enough that you're kind of beating a dead horse at this point. I haven't even commented on this aspect of this thread for several days because I think the point has been made.
Really? Paterno had no power at PSU? Come on.
Jesus man...did you even READ what I said? Where did I say Paterno had no power?
It's like the Queen of England vs. the PM. The Queen is much more recognizable, and very well regarded, etc...but the Prime Minister has more real power in day-to-day affairs.

man this sportsbybrooks guy needs to maybe think about possibly chilling out
It's kinda his MO. Did the same for tOSU when they were going through their issues. Been kind of a banner year for Brooks. Employs the #### on the wall theory of reporting.I still follow him religiously :bag:

It’s time to stop deifying college coachesBy Dan Wetzel, Yahoo! Sports3 hours, 54 minutes agoMike Krzyzewski became the winningest coach in the history of men’s college basketball Tuesday. It was an accomplishment worthy of fanfare and celebration.Only I couldn’t stop thinking back to the syrupy ESPN special he participated in last summer: “Difference Makers: Life Lessons With Paterno and Krzyzewski.”That would be Joe Paterno, the now fired Penn State coach who is dealing with serious questions about both his personal role in the Jerry Sandusky scandal and the overall culture of his Nittany Lions program.None of this is to suggest we should be waiting for a fall from grace for Krzyzewski. In fact, this entire column really isn’t fair to Krzyzewski, who is linked by a coincidence of timing.Still, the Krzyzewski milestone, coming on the immediate heels of the Paterno firing, should’ve served as a cautionary tale on what is often over-the top, impossible-to-live-up-to adulation for these coaches.Tuesday was the 903rd time Krzyzewski managed to get a group of college kids to score more points in a basketball game than another coach’s group of college kids.That’s it.Very little of the coverage however, particularly during the ESPN broadcast and gushing post mortem, was about his in-game strategy, his scouting ability or his preferred principles of basketball. It was mostly about Mike Krzyzewski, great man, honorable human and principled leader.It was stating as fact Krzyzewski’s emotional connections with people. This is not only impossible to quantify, not to mention verify, but in terms of actually winning games, it is of debatable importance.It also, in the long run, doesn’t really help anyone.“Stop Godding up the players,” Stanley Woodward, the sports editor at the old New York Herald Tribune once told his then columnist, Red Smith.In college sports, it’s not the players who get God’d up. It’s the coach. It’s the “program.” It’s the “culture.” It’s the “values” and “life skills” and who knows what else.It is, well, mostly nonsense and it’s at least one of the reasons I believe college athletics have gotten to this spot, besieged by scandal, rocked by rule breaking and seemingly under assault on a daily basis.Somewhere along the way just being a coach that was capable of drawing up plays and figuring out opponent’s weakness wasn’t enough.Now they’re held up as infallible. In fact, they aren’t even coaches, they’re “teachers.”There is a Cult of the Coach in college athletics that isn’t healthy. I’m as guilty as anyone in the sports media of following this narrative.These guys shouldn’t be categorized as beacons of morality and ethics. They aren’t better people than anyone else. They shouldn’t be expected to show players not simply how to run the spread offense, but how to live their lives as perfect beings. In some sections of the country, they even have to be super Christians.For this to be true you’d have to assume that the 200 or 300 best people on the face of the earth all decided to become major college football and basketball coaches.You’d have to pretend this isn’t a cutthroat business that only the most competitive survive in. You’d have to ignore the hours the job consumes and the likelihood they are lousy fathers, husbands and friends.You’d have to believe they aren’t human, full of the usual frailties.I know a lot of coaches on a personal level. “Human” is exactly what they are. They are no better or worse than any other friend I have. Many are completely uncomfortable with where this has gone, that they have to pretend to be more than they are. They struggle with the balance of work and home, of pressure and perception.So many of them can’t even drink a beer in public any more – what would that suggest? So they build bars in their basements to do it in secret.Many got into the business to coach their sport, not to be some mythical leader.Yet they realize that the NCAA makes its billions off peddling college athletics as a more innocent and nurturing alternative than the professional ranks. A lot of it is reflected in their paycheck. This is the deal they have to make.No one knows what the mindset was at Penn State that allowed Jerry Sandusky to exist all these years, but protecting the pristine brand of Joe “Difference Maker” Paterno is certainly a possibility.The cover up is always worse than the crime, but the crime wasn’t so good either. The headlines in 2002 of a former defensive coordinator allegedly raping a 10-year-old in the locker room showers certainly wouldn’t have just been quickly forgiven.This would have left an indelible stain and brought hard questions, especially for a program coming off consecutive five-win seasons. Some people may have lost their jobs. Other schools certainly would’ve used it against the Nittany Lions. It was Penn State, after all, that loved to tout its perfect compliance record and superior morality to high school prospects and their parents.This is the box the coaches are in. They can’t have scandal, even if it isn’t their fault. (Pro coaches don’t get blamed when their players get arrested. Professors aren’t faulted when their students are in trouble.)Coaches can’t lose a game either, especially in football where under the BCS the margin between playing the championship and not (at the top level the difference between a successful or failed season) can be a single result.Many were stunned when in 2010 Ohio State coach Jim Tressel failed to report that his star quarterback, among others, was involved in a likely NCAA violation for trading memorabilia for tattoos. It’s an almost comical “crime,” certainly little reflection on Tressel.Except Tressel had been lifted up to near high-priest status at his school (and he certainly appeared to play along though the years). Could he deal with another NCAA violation? Could he risk a single loss due to having his best players suspended in a much-anticipated season where anything less than 14-0 wouldn’t be good enough?I don’t know a New England Patriots or New York Jets fan who argues that Bill Belichick or Rex Ryan is the greatest man walking the earth, almost incapable of sin.Yet last March, in the 24-hours after Yahoo! Sports first reported Tressel knew, I was besieged by emails and Twitter responses saying we were wrong because Tressel would never lie.Really? Fans believe their coach would never lie? Never? Ever?They do.After Tressel had lost his job, I spoke to another high-profile college coach, the kind who could also one day earn an ESPN fluff piece about teaching life lessons. He readily admitted that confronted with the same situation as Tressel, he would’ve done the exact same thing and told no one.Why? He said he wouldn’t have wanted to deal with the investigation, the headlines and the potential losses. It would all be such a hassle. The shorter answer: he’s human, no matter how the image-makers have sold him.While both Krzyzewski and Paterno provided valuable mentorship to many of their players, let’s offer reasonable perspective.Both coaches were dealing with young men who were highly motivated and highly skilled both athletically and academically. The players were trying to get better at an activity they already loved and had been celebrated their entire life for doing well. The ultimate goal the coaches were preaching would result in fame, cheering crowds and, quite possibly, professional riches.Getting guys to slap the floor on defense isn’t getting kids at the juvenile detention center to learn calculus.They are exceptional game coaches. They are capable of teaching a great deal to young men. They can be powerful mentors.They aren’t Mother Teresa.From the NCAA publicity machine that profits off this supposed wholesomeness, to the media Godding up the “culture of the program,” to the fans who suspend all reality and buy the impossibility everyone is selling, college athletics will be a better place the sooner it stops pretending it is.

By the way, has the Catholic Diocese of Altoona-Johnstown chimed in on their feelings about what has happened at PSU?
What is wrong with you?
PA has a very high population of Catholics. With the moral failings involving of one of the state's largest institutions, I just thought maybe the Catholic Church would have something to say about it. Any idea why they've been silent so far?

By the way, has the Catholic Diocese of Altoona-Johnstown chimed in on their feelings about what has happened at PSU?
What is wrong with you?
PA has a very high population of Catholics. With the moral failings involving of one of the state's largest institutions, I just thought maybe the Catholic Church would have something to say about it. Any idea why they've been silent so far?
I know you dislike the Catholic church but seriously? And you may want to slow your roll because it's pretty easy to find cases in every denomination. Real easy.

What is wrong with you?
I know you dislike the Catholic church but seriously? And you may want to slow your roll because it's pretty easy to find cases in every denomination. Real easy.
Decades of abuse of young boys by clergy that was systematically denied and covered up by higher ranking clergy? In every denomination? Really?

man this sportsbybrooks guy needs to maybe think about possibly chilling out
Yeah. I've been following him on Twitter since I joined a couple of years ago, but had to unfollow him. He's been repeating the same stuff every 5 minutes for the past two weeks (kind of like this thread), and got tired of it.

'proninja said:
Cross - this thread is as much about the Catholic church as it is about the Citadel. You're not wrong, but is that why we're here?
So we can't expand the discussion to include some of the things that have created the culture of denial and coverup of child abuse?

What is wrong with you?
Decades of abuse of young boys by clergy that was systematically denied and covered up by higher ranking clergy? In every denomination? Really?
I remember reading the Protestant Church pays out on 200 cases a year on average. Baptists have plenty of shame that's been reported on as well. Do you really want to play it's only the Catholics? Because that's a losing position my friend.

What is wrong with you?
Wow. Fail. That is all.

I dunnoif it is someone from the academic side who truley was not involved in this it could be fine

let's not assume everyone at the entire institution is tainted
It's about perception. PSU has an image problem right now. Assigning insiders to the open positions will not help that image at all, imo.
Not everyone at PSU is an insider. IT is quite possible the academic side of the house is quite pissed at this, and hiring someone from the institution to put the athletic department in proper context and clean things up may be perfect, depending on the personThey have to hire the RIGHT person, and if that is someone inside fine. If they just pick someone inside for ease they are making a mistake, but without knowing anything about their internal candidates i am not willing to say disqualify them all

What is wrong with you?
I remember reading the Protestant Church pays out on 200 cases a year on average. Baptists have plenty of shame that's been reported on as well. Do you really want to play it's only the Catholics? Because that's a losing position my friend.
You realize that the "Protestant Church" is not an organization or a denomination, right? I certainly realize that abuse is not exclusive to the RCC. But I'm not aware of any other organization that has ever had anything approaching the coverup that existed at the RCC.

'proninja said:
Cross - this thread is as much about the Catholic church as it is about the Citadel. You're not wrong, but is that why we're here?
So we can't expand the discussion to include some of the things that have created the culture of denial and coverup of child abuse?
If you have any evidence that the Catholic church was involved in this scandal please share. Otherwise take it to another thread.

'proninja said:
sounds like a new thread
'proninja said:
'proninja said:
I'd prefer to keep all the focus on the pervert monster in State College and all the cowards who kept quiet for years.
Fair enough. But I do think that it's relevant to the overall discussion.

'proninja said:
sounds like a new thread
'proninja said:
'proninja said:
I'd prefer to keep all the focus on the pervert monster in State College and all the cowards who kept quiet for years.
Fair enough. But I do think that it's relevant to the overall discussion.
perhapsbut there are so many places where religion is debated to death in this forum, that we want to avoid having it done in every single thread

What is wrong with you?
You realize that the "Protestant Church" is not an organization or a denomination, right? I certainly realize that abuse is not exclusive to the RCC. But I'm not aware of any other organization that has ever had anything approaching the coverup that existed at the RCC.
Right that number is gleaned from 3 insurance agencies that represent a large percentage of Protestant churches. Just because they are less centralized doesn't mean we can't lump them for our purposes here. My point was other Christians should be very careful when they point at Catholics. It's just as likely they have some wrestlers in their past or even present.

I dunnoif it is someone from the academic side who truley was not involved in this it could be fine

It's about perception. PSU has an image problem right now. Assigning insiders to the open positions will not help that image at all, imo.
Not everyone at PSU is an insider. IT is quite possible the academic side of the house is quite pissed at this, and hiring someone from the institution to put the athletic department in proper context and clean things up may be perfect, depending on the personThey have to hire the RIGHT person, and if that is someone inside fine. If they just pick someone inside for ease they are making a mistake, but without knowing anything about their internal candidates i am not willing to say disqualify them all
Agreed. Someone upset that the football program* has damaged the school's image would be more motivated to clean things up than an outsider would be.*in before "this has nothing to do with football!!1"

Agreed. Someone upset that the football program* has damaged the school's image would be more motivated to clean things up than an outsider would be.*in before "this has nothing to do with football!!1"
rightit depends on the person

What is easy to forget here is that the VAST majority of PSU students, faculty, alumni, and staff would have done the right thing here, and are appalled at this. Yes i know there were hundreds of kids at joe's house and thousands in the street, there are tens of thousands that attend. Do not let the disgust at this make anyone think most people at PSU are culpable or even sympathetic to the people who did this and covered it up

'Aaron Rudnicki said:
'Thorn said:
FWIW, it's not uncommon in estate planning to shift assets bxt husband and wife.
even if it was already owned by both? what is the possible benefit for transferring it from joint ownership to sole ownership by his wife?
Suppose that substantially all of the assets are in husband's name (not uncommon for that generation). Suppose husband is worth $8 million. The federal estate tax doesn't kick in until the estate is worth at least $5 million, and the rate is steep. If husband dies, $3 million of his estate gets hit with the tax. If they arrange their assets so that they both own about $4 million, no tax. WALA!
Is that French for something?

No Cross is right here. It's not that everyone is tainted, it's that the school needs the appearance of starting over. By refusing to do this, they promote the idea that the "system" which protects itself will still exist. It's a bad move.

'proninja said:
Sure.. Every major organized religion I know of has a hierarchy of male leaders who are rarely questioned - so let's start with that.

But that happened in July.
I can only assume that Paterno and the rest of the guys at PSU saw the writing on the wall before the news broke. Again, pure theory and speculation on my part.
this was the last year of his contract so maybe he planned to retire at the end of the year anyway. although I wonder if he would have stopped before getting the wins record.
Pretending that none of this happens and there is no Grand Jury, I think this time when Spanier and the BOT ask him to leave quietly, he does. This was almost certainly his last season, assuming he breaks Robinson's record.

In case you haven't noticed, the Pope and the church get all the flack and outrage. The guilty priests are hardly ever mentioned. There's precedence. It's not a witch hunt.
I guess this is a decent analogy with Joe being the Pope, Spanier/Shultz/Curley being the church, and Sandusky being the guilty priest. I would also guess that those most venomously spewing their misguided outrage towards the Pope had an anti-religion agenda, just like those most venomously spewing their misguided outrage towards Joe have an anti-PSU football agenda.
Why do Penn St fans keep saying this? :confused: Maybe that makes it easier, but you're also giving yourselves way too much credit. The vast majority don't care about Penn St football one way or the other. Or at least they didn't prior to this.
To be fair, the person posting most in this thread is a Pitt and the person posting the second most in this thread is a Michigan alum. It's very, very hard for me to believe that they don't care about Penn State football. Sorry.

'B-Deep said:

I'd actually argue that someone who is already there with the established friendships, relationships, etc can probably find out more in shorter period of time than a complete outsider. And man, I liked how that BOT chairman from US Steel acted. He seemed solid.

'NCCommish said:
'CrossEyed said:
'NCCommish said:
'CrossEyed said:
'NCCommish said:
What is wrong with you?
Right that number is gleaned from 3 insurance agencies that represent a large percentage of Protestant churches. Just because they are less centralized doesn't mean we can't lump them for our purposes here. My point was other Christians should be very careful when they point at Catholics. It's just as likely they have some wrestlers in their past or even present.
What's that saying about glass houses again....

'proninja said:
In case you haven't noticed, the Pope and the church get all the flack and outrage. The guilty priests are hardly ever mentioned. There's precedence. It's not a witch hunt.
I guess this is a decent analogy with Joe being the Pope, Spanier/Shultz/Curley being the church, and Sandusky being the guilty priest. I would also guess that those most venomously spewing their misguided outrage towards the Pope had an anti-religion agenda, just like those most venomously spewing their misguided outrage towards Joe have an anti-PSU football agenda.
Why do Penn St fans keep saying this? :confused: Maybe that makes it easier, but you're also giving yourselves way too much credit. The vast majority don't care about Penn St football one way or the other. Or at least they didn't prior to this.
To be fair, the person posting most in this thread is a Pitt and the person posting the second most in this thread is a Michigan alum. It's very, very hard for me to believe that they don't care about Penn State football. Sorry.
To be fair, the person posting the most in this thread has had to deal with a lot of this kind of crap in his professional life in helping the victims recover, so it's kind of expected this would be a hot button issue for him. :lmao: at the persecuted penn state fans
Like blaming the Catholic Church for everything?

Users who are viewing this thread