What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jets Fans! (1 Viewer)

Mark Wimer

Hey Jets Fans (and my uber-Jets fan colleague Chase Stuart),

Looking at the early rounds, I have to say that the Jets have done an outstanding job this year. A rebuilt OL and a fine prospect at QB. Ferguson/Mangold/Clemens - that is SWEET.

J-E-T-S jets jets jets

MW

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree and the day's not over.

Perhaps Pope or G. Watson will be there at #71 or perhaps the best available RB, LB or CB.

I agree: I think the Jets may have the best draft to this point. As a NE fan, this does not make me very happy.

The 2 best OL and a rising-stock QB in the first 2 rounds? Nice.

I agree: I think the Jets may have the best draft to this point. As a NE fan, this does not make me very happy.

:goodposting:

They've certainly captured the most air time so far. Three teams picked in the 2nd round after the Jets picked and they were STILL talking about the Jets. This is the reason people hate ESPN's coverage.

Overall, I'd say the Jets have had the top 2 or 3 drafts so far today... great job...
Definitely the Jets have been brilliant this year. Clemens is not a "sure thing", but he has the talent and potential to be successful at the NFL level. We'll see how he develops - I think he could be a huge steal. Nice job NYJ!

Jets having a decent draft to be sure, but Kellen Clemens in the 2nd is hardly something that should be congratulated until further notice. He was NOWHERE on the radar screen until very late in the pre draft process. Big arm, we know. But does he have the rest of the goods? Paying a 2nd round pick to find out when you've got 2 QBs on the roster already was a circumspect move IMHO.

Jets having a decent draft to be sure, but Kellen Clemens in the 2nd is hardly something that should be congratulated until further notice. He was NOWHERE on the radar screen until very late in the pre draft process. Big arm, we know. But does he have the rest of the goods? Paying a 2nd round pick to find out when you've got 2 QBs on the roster already was a circumspect move IMHO.
Jason,I would agree. I even questioned the move down for the extra pick. They could have gotten bit in the rear pretty bad there. Getting "cute" IMHO could have been costly.

And why not grab Justice at OT with that #35?

THAT would have been a Draft.

But I am thrilled w/ D'Brick AND Mangold. You win on the offense and Defensive lines.

Anyone else notice what a Need Based Draft this has been?

clemens- eh... we'll see. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt

Schlegal- could be a decent 3-4 run stopper, but he's stiff as a board. Solid intangibles. Decent pick

Eric Smith- are you kidding me? 1) the jets didnt need a safety. 2) if you must have one, take a guy like Darnell Bing or Ko Simpson.

At best, this guy is an average special teams player. You can find guys like that at 5PM on sunday

jets could have hit a HR in round 3 and they decided to sac bunt. All this talk about "mangini guys" is ridiculus. Although i like his chances, he hasnt proven a thing yet. This front office hasnt earned the right to reach for system guys yet.

edit: loved our first 2 picks. Both should be studs.

I disagree entirely. This is a guy who compares favorably to any of the QBs in the draft statistically. Physically, he offers good mobility and plenty of arm strength. I think he was clearly the next best prospect after the top 3 (I actually have him above Cutler). If he hadn't been injured, he very well could've been a first round pick. Very good value considering how high QBs go.The Jets killed today. I'd heard that Mangini was a terrible speaker and boring guy, but I can see why they hired him (assuming he had a hand in this draft).

I am happy since no first day RB means go Cedrick Houston GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yes i know cmart is still there, but at least there is hope...

I'm a Giants fan, but the rivalary has never reached the point where I won't pull for the Jets and definately have them as a solid 2 in terms of allegiance. They're not my team, but I like to see them succeed.That said, I'm terrified of the pats draft. I think your first two picks were great and could be making an impact by week 8 this year and years to come.

Eric Smith- are you kidding me? 1) the jets didnt need a safety. 2) if you must have one, take a guy like Darnell Bing or Ko Simpson.

At best, this guy is an average special teams player. You can find guys like that at 5PM on sunday

jets could have hit a HR in round 3 and they decided to sac bunt. All this talk about "mangini guys" is ridiculus. Although i like his chances, he hasnt proven a thing yet. This front office hasnt earned the right to reach for system guys yet.

I agree... why not Jean-Gilles with that compensatory 3rd rounder....McNeil or Lendale with the 2nd round pick instead of moving down?

Thrilled with the first two picks.

I agree... why not Jean-Gilles with that compensatory 3rd rounder....McNeil or Lendale with the 2nd round pick instead of moving down?

Thrilled with the first two picks.
jean giles would have been a decent pick, but he is horribly overweight and isnt a great fit for the kind of offense the jets would probably run.still. anything is better than smith.

Jets started off with a bang...but they went out with a whimper. Schlegel was projected as a late day 2 pick by almost every scouting service, and Eric Smith was a 5th rounder at best.

Jets have too many needs to make reaches like this...Jets had a good, but not great first day IMHO.

Jets started off with a bang...but they went out with a whimper. Schlegel was projected as a late day 2 pick by almost every scouting service, and Eric Smith was a 5th rounder at best.

Jets have too many needs to make reaches like this...Jets had a good, but not great first day IMHO.
people at the jets boards are very polarized on the subjects.some are going nuts because all the scouting services had these two rated very low

others are blindly following the new regime

im in the middle. if you want to take system guys, thats fine. its a huge part of building a sucessful team. however, dont use the pick we got for losing kareem mckenzie and lamont jordan to reach two rounds for a possible ST player with a history of knee problems. awful pick. There is no way to justify it with our needs and the athletes that are still on the board

people at the jets boards are very polarized on the subjects.some are going nuts because all the scouting services had these two rated very low

others are blindly following the new regime

im in the middle. if you want to take system guys, thats fine. its a huge part of building a sucessful team. however, dont use the pick we got for losing kareem mckenzie and lamont jordan to reach two rounds for a possible ST player with a history of knee problems. awful pick. There is no way to justify it with our needs and the athletes that are still on the board
:goodposting: Thought the Jets hit a home run with the first three picks and the trade.

I really don't know much about the 3rd rders but on its face it seems there was better value out there. My Penn St buddy swears that "Smeagol" is an excellent LB who will start for the Jets by the end of next year. Smith looks like another McGraw and a reach at that.

Hope they just go best player available tomorrow

Overall I give the draft a B+/A- so far - rebuilt the OL and a possible QB of the future is not too shabby. Also love stealing the Skins 2nd rder for next year - nice to be pitching instead of catchign for once on them!

i think a B+ is a fair grade. getting those two o-lineman was huge, and clemens was a decent pick. schlegal will be able to fill a roll and be a good leader, so its hard to fault them for taking him (albeit too high)

smith was awful considering what was on the board. That drops it from A- to B in my book. Considering what that comp pick was for (losing mackenzie and jordan) it was an awful choice.

getting a 2nd rounder for next year was nice in the trade down, but the skins should be decent, so it wont be very high

B- from me....

I wanted Mario or trade down... Everyone figured you could get decent OL later and turns out they could have had Justice / Mangold - Instead of Ferguson / Mangold and still added a stud like Ngata, Davis or Hawk with the 4th pickif they couldn't trade down.

The 3rd round is a mess.

Even my MSU homerism can't paint Eric Smith as a good 3rd round pick.

He was a joy to watch at MSU. I love his intensity, his big hits and his football smarts. Really hope he succeeds at the next level. However, he's just not a particularly great athlete. He'll struggle in coverage, and while he'll be good against the run, he's not a dominant presence or anything.

Good backup, good special teams guy, good guy to have in the locker room. Not a 3rd rounder.

Even my MSU homerism can't paint Eric Smith as a good 3rd round pick.

He was a joy to watch at MSU. I love his intensity, his big hits and his football smarts. Really hope he succeeds at the next level. However, he's just not a particularly great athlete. He'll struggle in coverage, and while he'll be good against the run, he's not a dominant presence or anything.

Good backup, good special teams guy, good guy to have in the locker room. Not a 3rd rounder.
but he's a Mangini Guy!!! :rolleyes:

after a great start, I can't say I get the warm fuzzies about the Jets 3rd round picks (source:espn)

Overall: Schlegel began his collegiate career at Air Force. He started six of the 10 games that he played as a true freshman in 2001. He then finished with 116 tackles as a captain and fulltime starter during his sophomore season in 2002, earning first-team All-MWC honors. He transferred to Ohio State in 2003 and sat out that season due to NCAA transfer rules. He started eight of the 12 games he played in for the Buckeyes in 2004 and finished with 84 tackles, 10.5 TFL and 3.5 sacks. Schlegel started all 12 games as a senior in 2005 and finished second on the team with 82 tackles, including seven TFL and two sacks. Schlegel is a big, powerful, tough and aggressive middle linebacker prospect. He is an intelligent, disciplined and productive tackle-to-tackle run-plugger with outstanding tackling skills. However, Schlegel's lack of speed and athleticism really puts a low ceiling ...
good news: looks to be a smart football guy who knows how to tackle.bad news: see bold.

Overall: Smith received a medical red-shirt and he missed the entire season after tearing the meniscus in his left knee in 2001. He started five games but he also missed two games with a sprained knee in 2002. Smith started nine games but he missed four games with a sprained knee in 2003. He didn't participate in 2003 spring practice because he was recovering from knee surgery. Smith played in all twelve games of the 2004 season. He started all eleven games of the 2005 season recording 101 total tackles, 72 solo tackles and two interceptions. There are obviously concerns about Smith's ability to avoid injuries and he needs more experience to sharpen his zone-coverage skills. However, he is big hitter with adequate range when he is healthy so he should come off the board in the final few rounds of the 2006 draft.
good news: :( , big hitter?bad news: got injuries? Final few rounds of the draft!?!

I guess it's an obvious thing if you live in the area but I was amazed by a bunch of New York columnists I read over at the Redzone this morning. They pretty much blasted the Jets for passing on Leinart and their rationale was mostly that he was a brash and flashy pick who could become the "face" of the franchise. Putting together a winning team seemed to be very much of a secondary issue to these guys.

I don't know if teams in other cities face this kind of ridiculous, and uninformed, pressure. Though it is worth noting that Brian Billick's biggest critic in the Baltimore media, Mike Preston, questioned the Ngata pick solely because Phil Savage passed on it.

I guess it's an obvious thing if you live in the area but I was amazed by a bunch of New York columnists I read over at the Redzone this morning. They pretty much blasted the Jets for passing on Leinart and their rationale was mostly that he was a brash and flashy pick who could become the "face" of the franchise. Putting together a winning team seemed to be very much of a secondary issue to these guys.
Agreed - it's a pretty ridiculous analysis. The columnists were probably disappointed since Leinart would have given them more material to write about. Brick, while supremely talented, doesn't really offer that unless he runs afoul of the law.Maybe not a sexy pick, but Brick makes them a much better team than Leinart would IMO.

Let's not get carried away by the Jets draft.

Does it look good? It looks decent ... but keep in mind the Jets were a terrible team to begin with.

They lost their best defensive player and there best Olineman recently Abraham and Mawae ...They lost there 2nd best Olineman Mckenzie the previous year and never replaced him.

So their defense at this point is worse than last year and with a year or 2 experience for Dbrick and Mangold the oline will be back to were it was a year or two ago.

Clemens looks like a good pick...

The good news for the Jets is they will be no better next year and have an opportunity to draft skill positions early in the draft.

I don't know if teams in other cities face this kind of ridiculous, and uninformed, pressure. Though it is worth noting that Brian Billick's biggest critic in the Baltimore media, Mike Preston, questioned the Ngata pick solely because Phil Savage passed on it.
This is nothing new for the NY media..... they would have criticized ANY pick. I, like many Jet fans don't think Leinart was going to be a good fit in NY. What bothers me about the Jets draft is that even with the additions of Ferguson and Mangold, the run blocking on the offensive line hasn't been improved at all. Adrian Jones is a servicable LT who hasn't been given a chance to develop at that position, and he is a poor fit at RT, where he now returns. He, like Ferguson, simply doesn't possess the leg drive that a RT has to have. The Jets will once again have to rely on QB sneaks on 3rd and short, and will have to pass inside the five to score.

They did at least draft a QB that has enough upside to be a future franchise QB.... maybe not a pro bowler, but could be a solid starter at some point. I loved them getting a 2007 2nd round pick in the trade down. It will take at least two years to get this team rebuilt. Those third round picks? Blatant reaches, period. They could have gotten both of those guys in the fourth round, without question.

Grade: B-

Agreed - it's a pretty ridiculous analysis. The columnists were probably disappointed since Leinart would have given them more material to write about. Brick, while supremely talented, doesn't really offer that unless he runs afoul of the law.Maybe not a sexy pick, but Brick makes them a much better team than Leinart would IMO.
Yeah, I heard Rich Cimini saying that he always rooted for the pick that would make for the best story.

Users who are viewing this thread