What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jets' SS (1 Viewer)

P Boy

Footballguy
I picked up Rhodes dirt cheap in our 1st offseason FA session, then was ecstatic as I saw McGraw get sent packing.Had a chance to grab Celestin in the 2nd offseason FA session, but left him alone, and he's still a FA.I heard Rhodes was supposed to start this weekend, and then saw Celestin did. I also saw that Celestin had 4 tackles with no other stats, where Rhodes had 2 tackles, 1 INT, & 1 PD.It sounds like an awfully close battle, but I really like Rhodes' ability to make bigger plays better, as well as being a better cover guy. The Jets front 7 is very solid, so they really don't need a big-time run defender at SS.Any thoughts, insights on the battle going on for the starting spot?

You pretty much have it, the story, that is. Now comes some more facts/opinions mixed in with more opinions. Coleman is not the best cover safety. Rhodes is better at coverage than Celestin. Celestin has a year in the system, while Rhodes is a rookie. Those are pretty much facts. I also expected to see Rhodes start. In the end, I think Rhodes will win the job, because his coverage skills are better than both Coleman and Celestin. This is strictly opinion, not the coverage part, but who wins the job. There remains a chance that they use a quasi-SSBC. Stay tuned.....

You pretty much have it, the story, that is. Now comes some more facts/opinions mixed in with more opinions.

Coleman is not the best cover safety. Rhodes is better at coverage than Celestin. Celestin has a year in the system, while Rhodes is a rookie. Those are pretty much facts.

I also expected to see Rhodes start. In the end, I think Rhodes will win the job, because his coverage skills are better than both Coleman and Celestin. This is strictly opinion, not the coverage part, but who wins the job. There remains a chance that they use a quasi-SSBC. Stay tuned.....
Thanks, Rovers. Nice getting some first hand insight. I know the Jets use their Ss interchangeably, so finding the other starter could yield a nice package of tackles with PDs & some INTs.

in watching the NYJ game I was really impressed with Clestin, he hit like a truck a nd really flew around the fieldmy 2 cents :hophead:

Well, at TC today, Rhodes and Celestin were playing with the first team D! :loco: Coleman was with the second team defense. Could be a coaches ploy to light a fire under Coleman's ####, or a sign that there could be a rotation at the safety spots? Law was no where to be found after practicing yesterday. I think he is not nearly as far along as he said he was.

If you dig deeper its a Herm thing.Herm is playing Celestine and Rhodes to throw the rookies/younins into the fire saying... if Coleman got hurt these 2 would need to call the shots and line up the defense. Neither is ready for that so here is their crash coarse.So... lesson. Don't listen to stupid beat writers. I :eek: 'd when I saw it first too. Which is why I looked deeper.Also... Rhodes will be the starter. Nothing concrete but a hunch which has a lot to do with the ability to make big plays and coverage that the poster above mentioned. Herm is a sucker for INTs and solid coverage.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you dig deeper its a Herm thing.

Herm is playing Celestine and Rhodes to throw the rookies/younins into the fire saying... if Coleman got hurt these 2 would need to call the shots and line up the defense. Neither is ready for that so here is their crash coarse.

So... lesson. Don't listen to stupid beat writers. I :eek: 'd when I saw it first too. Which is why I looked deeper.

Also... Rhodes will be the starter. Nothing concrete but a hunch which has a lot to do with the ability to make big plays and coverage that the poster above mentioned. Herm is a sucker for INTs and solid coverage.
I didn't read any articles on this, it was based on my first hand observations at camp. Where, exactly, did you "dig deeper"? Did you talk to Edwards or Henderson? Coleman has NOT had a good camp. Henderson was all over Coleman and Strait yesterday. I'm not sure which one he said this to, but he screamed "We have other people that can replace you!" Edwards and Henderson are leary of starting rookies at the safety positions, despite what happened with Coleman last year. Celestin has a year in the system, Rhodes is a rookie. I happen to think that Rhodes may well win the job, but it's pure speculation at this point. Even finding out who starts against the Giants doesn't mean much. How they play does. I've been to Jets TC about 8 times, and I've watched this whole situation develop. It may be more than just one of the safety jobs that are wide open, it may be both of them at this point.

You said you had to "dig deeper', exactly where did you dig? Unless you can supply solid info that this is a coaching ploy, it's still just an opinion. I am generally careful to seperate what I see as fact vs. opinion. The fact is that Celestin and Rhodes practiced with the first team D. The rest is pure conjecture.

If you dig deeper its a Herm thing.

Herm is playing Celestine and Rhodes to throw the rookies/younins into the fire saying... if Coleman got hurt these 2 would need to call the shots and line up the defense.  Neither is ready for that so here is their crash coarse.

So... lesson.  Don't listen to stupid beat writers.  I  :eek: 'd when I saw it first too.  Which is why I looked deeper.

Also... Rhodes will be the starter.  Nothing concrete but a hunch which has a lot to do with the ability to make big plays and coverage that the poster above mentioned.  Herm is a sucker for INTs and solid coverage.
I didn't read any articles on this, it was based on my first hand observations at camp. Where, exactly, did you "dig deeper"? Did you talk to Edwards or Henderson? Coleman has NOT had a good camp. Henderson was all over Coleman and Strait yesterday. I'm not sure which one he said this to, but he screamed "We have other people that can replace you!" Edwards and Henderson are leary of starting rookies at the safety positions, despite what happened with Coleman last year. Celestin has a year in the system, Rhodes is a rookie. I happen to think that Rhodes may well win the job, but it's pure speculation at this point. Even finding out who starts against the Giants doesn't mean much. How they play does. I've been to Jets TC about 8 times, and I've watched this whole situation develop. It may be more than just one of the safety jobs that are wide open, it may be both of them at this point.

You said you had to "dig deeper', exactly where did you dig? Unless you can supply solid info that this is a coaching ploy, it's still just an opinion. I am generally careful to seperate what I see as fact vs. opinion. The fact is that Celestin and Rhodes practiced with the first team D. The rest is pure conjecture.
Take it easy big boy. You guys said the same thing, it could be a motivational ploy and this time of the year it does not matter much. You are both stating your opinion and if I may be so bold to state mine, I feel it is a motivational ploy to light a fire under Coleman AND at the same time, see how the other two play together.I guess every one is a little geeked for week one, huh? Gotta fly, Romeo Crennel is on the line asking who should start next to Andra Davis on the inside.

Tom

So whats the word now that they've played their last preseason game? I have to make a decision between Celestin and Rhodes. I own both but don't have room for both on my starting roster so, I need to stash one on taxi squad. Presently I have Rhodes active and Celestin on Taxi. I have till Sunday to make a final decision. Who wil be the starter or will both and if both who has the most fantasy value? Is Coleman a backup now?

So whats the word now that they've played their last preseason game? I have to make a decision between Celestin and Rhodes. I own both but don't have room for both on my starting roster so, I need to stash one on taxi squad. Presently I have Rhodes active and Celestin on Taxi. I have till Sunday to make a final decision. Who wil be the starter or will both and if both who has the most fantasy value? Is Coleman a backup now?
Coleman sat out once so they could see the other two run together, he is not a backup so go forward with himAs far as the others, dunno yet

Tom

Coleman sat out once so they could see the other two run together, he is not a backup so go forward with himAs far as the others, dunno yet

Tom
Jets | Celestin Locking Up a Starting RoleFri, 2 Sep 2005 06:15:50 -0700

The New York Daily News reports New York Jets SS Oliver Celestin started again at strong safety in the team's preseason game Thursday evening, Sept. 1. It was his fourth start of the preseason, a strong indication he has locked up the job over S Kerry Rhodes, although Rhodes did pick off another pass.

Looks like Celestin should be on the active and stash Rhodes on taxi at least for this season. Thanks Tom!

What is interesting is in the updated projections - Rhodes is listed and Celestin is not? So as far a FFG projects Rhodes will get the job and not Celestin - would be my take on it.

Tough call. Celestin is the probable starter, but don't be surprised if Rhodes starts against KC to cover Gonzo. Rhodes is taller than Celestin, and is a much better cover DB as well.

What is interesting is in the updated projections - Rhodes is listed and Celestin is not? So as far a FFG projects Rhodes will get the job and not Celestin - would be my take on it.
The FBG's projections are just that, projections. While we would all like to assume that they are perfect, they are not. Some guys are listed to high and some to low and that/this is probably based on the player starting or not. ie Sean Jones at #12Look at the rankings and you might see a more accurate description of where a player may fall but don't get discouraged if you don't see them as the rankings are only 80 players deep or so.

***if it sounds like I am complaining, I am not. I am just pointing out that just cause it is written on the site or in a mag, does not mean it is 100% accurate. With all the moving and shaking going on in the last week, the depth charts, projections and rankings are bound to be a bit off. Use it as a tool, not as the bible.

Tom

The FBG's projections are just that, projections. While we would all like to assume that they are perfect, they are not. Some guys are listed to high and some to low and that/this is probably based on the player starting or not. ie Sean Jones at #12Look at the rankings and you might see a more accurate description of where a player may fall but don't get discouraged if you don't see them as the rankings are only 80 players deep or so.

***if it sounds like I am complaining, I am not. I am just pointing out that just cause it is written on the site or in a mag, does not mean it is 100% accurate. With all the moving and shaking going on in the last week, the depth charts, projections and rankings are bound to be a bit off. Use it as a tool, not as the bible.

Tom
Thanks - I understand. It's just hard when you have to make a decision and you don't have any definative answers anywhere. I can hope perhaps that the Jets will name a starter by this weekend. Otherwise, I have to try and glean from all of you guys (whose information is GOLD!) It's just hard in a contract league, cause once they are signed......your stuck with that for awhile. The forum at Jets landing strip has their own fans going back and forth but mostly saying that Rhodes will get the job. Some say Celestin will get it. The facts are that all four safeties have played Washington, Coleman, Rhodes and Celestin and the coaching staff hasn't made up their mind yet :wall:

Tom
Thanks - I understand. It's just hard when you have to make a decision and you don't have any definative answers anywhere. I can hope perhaps that the Jets will name a starter by this weekend. Otherwise, I have to try and glean from all of you guys (whose information is GOLD!) It's just hard in a contract league, cause once they are signed......your stuck with that for awhile. The forum at Jets landing strip has their own fans going back and forth but mostly saying that Rhodes will get the job. Some say Celestin will get it. The facts are that all four safeties have played Washington, Coleman, Rhodes and Celestin and the coaching staff hasn't made up their mind yet :wall:
Rhodes named starter! http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/index.php?...ctions_id=#2153

Could he post up big numbers covering Gonzalez?

Yes, Rhodes has been named starter, at least for the KC game. Whether or not he holds onto the starting spot is a gamble, however. Celestin has gotten almost 100% of the snaps as a starter, both preseason and in TC. Celestin is also struggling with no news from several relatives in the N.O. area. To say he is somewhat distracted now would be an understatement. I mentioned earlier that people should not be surprised to see Rhodes get the start against KC, due to his size. speed and coverage abilities. I would NOT count Celestin out as the starter in week 2. Rhodes has the size and coverage skills to at least stay with Gonzo in week 1. Celestin would offer KC a mismatch, which they would exploit. Personally, I think next to Coleman, Rhodes SHOULD be the starter, they compliment one another. Celestin is a lot like Coleman, strong run support , but not as good in coverage. I happen to have Rhodes on my dynasty team.... so I'm not blowing smoke here, I'd love to think it was Rhodes' job.... but I can't say it beyond a 50-50 certaintly now. If Rhodes has a big game, he may never look back. Then again.....

Yes, Rhodes has been named starter, at least for the KC game. Whether or not he holds onto the starting spot is a gamble, however. Celestin has gotten almost 100% of the snaps as a starter, both preseason and in TC. Celestin is also struggling with no news from several relatives in the N.O. area. To say he is somewhat distracted now would be an understatement.

I mentioned earlier that people should not be surprised to see Rhodes get the start against KC, due to his size. speed and coverage abilities. I would NOT count Celestin out as the starter in week 2. Rhodes has the size and coverage skills to at least stay with Gonzo in week 1. Celestin would offer KC a mismatch, which they would exploit.

Personally, I think next to Coleman, Rhodes SHOULD be the starter, they compliment one another. Celestin is a lot like Coleman, strong run support , but not as good in coverage. I happen to have Rhodes on my dynasty team.... so I'm not blowing smoke here, I'd love to think it was Rhodes' job.... but I can't say it beyond a 50-50 certaintly now. If Rhodes has a big game, he may never look back. Then again.....
You nailed it! I hope that Celestin does regain the starting spot possibly the next week as he was the safety I signed a 2 year contract to and put Rhodes on my taxi. I think long term Rhodes will be the answer and for week one. We'll see. :rant:

Users who are viewing this thread