What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jim Haslett (1 Viewer)

Weiner Dog

Footballguy
Lions | Team to talk with Haslett

Wed, 4 Jan 2006 18:48:30 -0800

Updating previous stories, the Associated Press reports former New Orleans Saints head coach Jim Haslett has been invited to Detroit to interview for the head coaching job currently held by interim coach **** Jauron. "I'm looking forward to hearing what they have to say," Haslett told the New Orleans Times-Picayune. "I think it's important to weigh all my options."

:lmao:

Somebody needs to remind this guy of his coaching record the past few years. He should be begging every team for a assistant job.

Yeah no kidding.I was listening to the NFL on Sirius 124 today and the hosts were saying that Haslett is one of the top available coaches. The one host was thinking the same thing I was...WHY ?? What has this guy done in the NFL besides play linebacker for the Bills that would make an owner say "Yeah I gotta give this guy a few million to coach my team this year" ??????

I'd actually put the odds at favorable that he becomes the next coach in Buffalo. With Donohue out, Mularky will probably go too. Hazmat played in Buffalo and reportedly still has strong connections to the area. Don't be at all surprised if "weighing his options" means he is waiting for Mularky to fall.

Last edited by a moderator:
i dont think it matters who their coach is as long as millen and the fords are there.

Last edited by a moderator:
If he comes to the J-E-T-S I can, on a weekly basis, collect further evidence for why I think he is the worst HC in the NFL. And I can taunt Jets fans, loudly.Sign him up!

Updating previous stories, the Associated Press reports former New Orleans Saints head coach Jim Haslett has been invited to Detroit to interview for the head coaching job currently held by interim coach **** Jauron. "I'm looking forward to hearing what they have to say," Haslett told the New Orleans Times-Picayune. "I think it's important to weigh all my options."

Somebody needs to remind this guy of his coaching record the past few years. He should be begging every team for a assistant job.
I made this post in the other Haslett thread..."I don't think that there is really high praise directed towards Haslett. He's "decent" seems ot be consensus of opinion, which is what a near .500 record will get you. In comparing the other teams in the NFC South, arguably the toughest division in the NFC, you are overlooking the changes at the GM and ownership level that happened prior to the turnarounds. The GM's play a huge part in the success of a franchise, as crucial as the coach in most cases.

Also, I think your perception of the Saints is slightly askew.

2005 3-13

2004 8-8 with a 4 game winning streak to end the season. 2nd place in NFC South.

2003 8-8 2nd place in NFC South.

2002 9-7 3rd place in NFC South.

2001 7-9 4th place in NFC West.

2000 10-6 1st place in NFC West. 1-1 playoff record.

2005 season aside, that's not an awful record or performance by a head coach. Certainly there is a sense that the team underachieved but they were very competitive during Haslett's tenure. This is why he is considered a viable coaching candidate, quite frankly."

Somebody needs to remind this guy of his coaching record the past few years.  He should be begging every team for a assistant job.
I made this post in the other Haslett thread..."I don't think that there is really high praise directed towards Haslett. He's "decent" seems ot be consensus of opinion, which is what a near .500 record will get you. In comparing the other teams in the NFC South, arguably the toughest division in the NFC, you are overlooking the changes at the GM and ownership level that happened prior to the turnarounds. The GM's play a huge part in the success of a franchise, as crucial as the coach in most cases.

Also, I think your perception of the Saints is slightly askew.

2005 3-13

2004 8-8 with a 4 game winning streak to end the season. 2nd place in NFC South.

2003 8-8 2nd place in NFC South.

2002 9-7 3rd place in NFC South.

2001 7-9 4th place in NFC West.

2000 10-6 1st place in NFC West. 1-1 playoff record.

2005 season aside, that's not an awful record or performance by a head coach. Certainly there is a sense that the team underachieved but they were very competitive during Haslett's tenure. This is why he is considered a viable coaching candidate, quite frankly."
I think they were competitive in spite of him and not because of him! They had more talent than to be under .500 over the last 6 years IMHO.

i dont think it matters who their coach is as long as millen and the fords are there.
'Tis true... :cry: I'm not impressed with Haslett. I don't want him in Detroit. Then again, the other former head coaches that were axed recently, don't impress me either...

Bring in fresh blood please!

If I'm going to pay a coach millions of dollars over 2+ years to run my football team, I'm not looking to be competitive. I'm looking to win.Why does the NFL have to re-cycle all the coaches. Give me a college coach that is hungry to prove his worth. A coordinator that has a proven record, not one that happen to be on one of the superbowl teams this year.If I had a choice:KCs Al SaundersIndys Tom MoorePitt Russ GrimmTake to take the package the Chiefs give the Jets and send it to Tennesee to pry Jeff Fisher away.

You are talking about a guy who picked Aaron Brooks over Jake Delhomme and Marc Bulger. A guy that traded Willie Roaf for a third round pick. A guy who's team was one of the leaders in the NFL in penalties and turnovers for the past few years. I would consider any GM who would even interview him to be suspect. Oh Matt Millen may wants him. Go figure.

I think Haslett will make an excellent defensive coordinator for somebody. I'm not as down on him as most but I wouldn't really want to hire him as a head coach at this point either.The Saints might be one of the only teams in the league that is tougher to win with than Detroit.. if that's possible.Questionable (ok, being nice) ownership..General Manager.. questionable.Hey, Wade Phillips is getting interviewed for the Packers job, so why not talk to Haslett? It doesn't hurt anything and if he doesn't land a HC job, then I do think he'd be on my short list of DC candidates.

You are talking about a guy who picked Aaron Brooks over Jake Delhomme and Marc Bulger. A guy that traded Willie Roaf for a third round pick. A guy who's team was one of the leaders in the NFL in penalties and turnovers for the past few years. I would consider any GM who would even interview him to be suspect. Oh Matt Millen may wants him. Go figure.
Haslett did none of that. Mickey Loomis and Rick Mueller made those calls. I would argue that Haslett was hamstrung by his front office more than he influenced these decisions. I could be wrong though..

Your career as an NFL insider is assured! With the foresight you display in recognizing the superior abilities of both Delhomme and Bulger, when they had done little to nothing as back-ups for the Saints up to that time, surely you have a front office job.Delhomme's career with the Saints? Less than 100 pass attempts, 650 yards total and 3:5 TD to INT's. Bulger? He never played a regular season game. As this season showcased quite clearly, you could stick a chimp at the QB position for that team and you'll still look decent. The Saints traded JT O'Sullivan to the Packers last year. By your logic he's the heir apparent to Favre then. Pencil him in as a potential HOFer then!

Yes, Haslett underachieved but there are legions of ex-coaches who have done the very same. Ho-hum. It's easy to pick on Haslett because it's the "same old Saints" bashing that grows so damned tiresome. His performance, as an underachiever, has earned him a second chance elsewhere. If he can't do better in that opportunity, then he can put in the same pantheon of "bad" coaches as Spurrier, Turner, Wannstadt and others.

Your career as an NFL insider is assured! With the foresight you display in recognizing the superior abilities of both Delhomme and Bulger, when they had done little to nothing as back-ups for the Saints up to that time, surely you have a front office job.Delhomme's career with the Saints? Less than 100 pass attempts, 650 yards total and 3:5 TD to INT's. Bulger? He never played a regular season game. As this season showcased quite clearly, you could stick a chimp at the QB position for that team and you'll still look decent. The Saints traded JT O'Sullivan to the Packers last year. By your logic he's the heir apparent to Favre then. Pencil him in as a potential HOFer then!

Yes, Haslett underachieved but there are legions of ex-coaches who have done the very same. Ho-hum. It's easy to pick on Haslett because it's the "same old Saints" bashing that grows so damned tiresome. His performance, as an underachiever, has earned him a second chance elsewhere. If he can't do better in that opportunity, then he can put in the same pantheon of "bad" coaches as Spurrier, Turner, Wannstadt and others.
Several teams had their eyes on Delhomme, so why are you being condescending to Monarch? Delhomme, in the little playing time he had with the Saints in 2001 and 2002, finished the season as the NFC leader in overall passer rating. The Panthers obviously had the foresight to see his abilities, signed him, and in his first year as a Panther led them to the Super Bowl. Not bad, huh? As for Haslett, he had 6 years to do something with the Saints, and the Saints constantly underachieved. He will get another chance just like other head coaches have. Maybe this time around he will have better results.

Several teams had their eyes on Delhomme, so why are you being condescending to Monarch? Delhomme, in the little playing time he had with the Saints in 2001 and 2002, finished the season as the NFC leader in overall passer rating. The Panthers obviously had the foresight to see his abilities, signed him, and in his first year as a Panther led them to the Super Bowl. Not bad, huh? As for Haslett, he had 6 years to do something with the Saints, and the Saints constantly underachieved. He will get another chance just like other head coaches have. Maybe this time around he will have better results.
They had the foresight? They originally signed him to a 2 year deal. Hardly a vote of confidence, IMO. Peete went into training camp as the starter, in fact. Delhomme was a career back-up up to that point, who had strong buzz from both Saints fans (local product who beat the Cowboys in a game he started) and coaches. Delhomme wanted to start, which was not going to happen with Brooks entrenched as the starter. At that time, Brooks was still seen as having a promising future. The 27 TD's he tossed the same year that Delhomme became Carolina's starting QB certainly confirmed that in many people's minds.Again, I think it's very easy for some to heckle Haslett. He has been unimpressive as a HC in many ways but labelling him as a "bad coach" seems premature at this point in time.

I'd take Haslett over Tice any day! I think A. Brooks cost that team alot of games because of his boneheadedness. I seriously expect Tice to be asking me if I want to biggy size on my next drive-thru visit. That guy is a goober!

Ahhh...the truth is out.

:X

Jets | Haslett interest mostly agent driven

Thu, 5 Jan 2006 17:42:29 -0800

ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli reports a New York Jets official told ESPN.com that, while there is some interest in fired New Orleans Saints head coach Jim Haslett, most of the dialogue has been initiated by his agent. And the official conceded that hiring a coach who had an even worse record in 2005 than Edwards did would be a difficult sell to Jets fans.

Users who are viewing this thread