What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Joe Help - What do you use for news alerts? (1 Viewer)

Joe Bryant

Guide
Staff member
Hey Guys,

I posted this in the Shark Pool but I know lots of you guys here are savvy on this kind of thing. And it doesn't have to be necessarily about Football news alerts. If you've got apps / websites / systems you use for breaking news alerts on football or other topics, please share here. Thanks.

from Shark Pool:

Hey Guys,

Need your help here.

What do you guys use for breaking news alerts? And the key word there being "alert". 

And to be clear, what I'm talking about is a specific alert that is different than normal internet use. In other words, "Twitter" isn't what I'm looking for as many people don't have the time to stay constantly on top of Twitter. 

What I'm looking for are the guys that are using some sort of push notification or something that specifically let's them know something important has happened. 

And this is different than the Footballguys Breaking News emails. Those hopefully have a bit more detail to them. The push notification type apps usually are just a super quick blurb about what happened. With our Breaking News, we usually take a few more minutes to add what we think it means if we have an idea.

I love the Sleeperbot app and have used it for a while. If you're a Sleeperbot fan already, stay tuned as Footballguys will have our own channel there next week. 

But I'm interested in what others use. Please be as specific as you can as to what you use and how you use it. Thanks.

Twitter and FFA are all a person needs for breaking news. (at least anything that a person needs to know)

Twitter and FFA are all a person needs for breaking news. (at least anything that a person needs to know)
Thanks @KCitons  But for people who can't be online or on their phone a ton, do you know of a solution? I agree everything is on Twitter and the FFA. It's just that lots of people can't be looking at them all the time. What I'm looking for is a curated thing where someone (that I agree with) is determining "yes, this story is worth picking your phone up for" and will send it out. If I hear the alert, I know it's worthwhile to stop what I'm doing and look at it. So much of these just send every bit of news out. Much of it is not worth picking up the phone for. And pretty soon, people stop paying attention. That's what I'm getting at. 

Thanks @KCitons  But for people who can't be online or on their phone a ton, do you know of a solution? I agree everything is on Twitter and the FFA. It's just that lots of people can't be looking at them all the time. What I'm looking for is a curated thing where someone (that I agree with) is determining "yes, this story is worth picking your phone up for" and will send it out. If I hear the alert, I know it's worthwhile to stop what I'm doing and look at it. So much of these just send every bit of news out. Much of it is not worth picking up the phone for. And pretty soon, people stop paying attention. That's what I'm getting at. 
You're talking about an amber alert for football news. It would need to be customized based on team or specific players. I wouldn't want my phone going off to let me know Zeke may be at risk for suspension. I own zero shares of him. So, beyond that I'm not concerned. 

You're talking about an amber alert for football news. It would need to be customized based on team or specific players. I wouldn't want my phone going off to let me know Zeke may be at risk for suspension. I own zero shares of him. So, beyond that I'm not concerned. 
There was a guy who had an app like this a couple years ago in the SP.  Dave something?

News of a booboo is only so valuable..  I mean if it don't say "Broken leg in two places"  Were still talking potentially playing.  Think that's were the Shark Pool becomes invaluable..  IF its on twitter, it may be posted.  Updates..

Seriously though, the most important thing is too have the right player to start..  Heres my go to list http://blackeyedjoe.com/07bej_top200.htm  If ya use it, make sure to check the date for last time it was updated

I turn twitter alerts on for Adam Schefter.  I do this during the free agency, draft, and the regular season.  It's usually a breaking news, and he rarely tweets bs.  

On a side note here is a little PSA for the fantasy football community that is trying to grow their social media base.

I must have unfollowed a few dozen fantasy football feeds in 2016.  I found them all from here, and by searching for fantasy accounts that performed well on fantasypros.  For many of them, I was one of their long time followers.  Unfortunately, many of them can't help but add their 2cents about politics.  I didn't follow fantasy football accounts to get their political views.  I unfollowed, and from reading various comments I wasn't always the only one.

I have fallen out of fantasy football, but for news I've gone into my News App on my iPhone, picked a few sources and enabled push notifications for breaking news. I believe this is customizable for whatever you're looking for. 

Joe Bryant said:
And to be clear, what I'm talking about is a specific alert that is different than normal internet use. In other words, "Twitter" isn't what I'm looking for as many people don't have the time to stay constantly on top of Twitter. 

What I'm looking for are the guys that are using some sort of push notification or something that specifically let's them know something important has happened. 
Everyone obviously has different routines and habits, and I'm sure I'm fairly atypical, but the quoted bit above seems exactly backwards to me.

To me, push notifications are the things I don't have time for. They actually take my time. When I get a push notification, it causes me to stop what I'm doing and check my phone. That's a distraction.

Twitter, on the other hand, never interrupts me (since I haven't opted into push notifications from it). It's there whenever I have time for it, but it doesn't ever take time. It just waits patiently for me to give it time when I feel like it.

With regard to NFL news in particular, there are times when I can actually do something about the news -- like when I'm at my computer revising my projections on Sunday morning. And there are times when I can't do anything about the news, like when I'm hiking or sleeping or on a lunch date. When I'm at my computer revising my projections, I don't want push notifications because I'm already reading all the latest news from various sources, including Twitter. When I'm not at my computer, I don't want push notifications because they're not actionable at that moment.

Even less would I want my phone to push non-NFL news at me. There are a few times a day when I have nothing else to do and I check the news. When I do have other things to do, I want the news to leave me alone.

Everyone obviously has different routines and habits, and I'm sure I'm fairly atypical, but the quoted bit above seems exactly backwards to me.

To me, push notifications are the things I don't have time for. They actually take my time. When I get a push notification, it causes me to stop what I'm doing and check my phone. That's a distraction.

Twitter, on the other hand, never interrupts me (since I haven't opted into push notifications from it). It's there whenever I have time for it, but it doesn't ever take time. It just waits patiently for me to give it time when I feel like it.

With regard to NFL news in particular, there are times when I can actually do something about the news -- like when I'm at my computer revising my projections on Sunday morning. And there are times when I can't do anything about the news, like when I'm hiking or sleeping or on a lunch date. When I'm at my computer revising my projections, I don't want push notifications because I'm already reading all the latest news from various sources, including Twitter. When I'm not at my computer, I don't want push notifications because they're not actionable at that moment.

Even less would I want my phone to push non-NFL news at me. There are a few times a day when I have nothing else to do and I check the news. When I do have other things to do, I want the news to leave me alone.
Note to self....wait until Sunday morning to use MT's projections before setting lineup.  :P

Users who are viewing this thread