What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

John Clayton on Mike and Mike (1 Viewer)

David Yudkin

Footballguy
Too much to cover today so he'll be on again later in the morning, but here's what he had to say so far . . .

- Saints are offering Brees more guaranteed money than the Dolphins are.

- Plan B for Miami is Culpepper for a 2nd round pick, but the Vikes have not allowed Culpepper to take any physicals so health is a potential issue.

- Culpepper would likely stay in Minnesota if he's not traded to Miami as no other teams are willing to part with a 2nd round pick.

- Saints likely would draft DE Mario Williams at #2 if they sign Brees. Titans would then take Leinart.

- Patrick Ramsey likely traded today or tomorrow to NYJ, DET, MIA for a 4th or 5th rounder.

Last edited by a moderator:
I trully hope the Saints DO NOT take another DE with their first pick. Assuming the team gets Brees, they should set their target on A.J Hawk. Our run defense needs big time help and he should bring a lot to the field.

Culp for a 2nd rounder, IF HEALTHY, would be a steal IMO.

One year transitioning from Moss with a team in general turmoil does not ruin a career. I think in the right system with a good coach he is a top 10 (NFL) QB at least.

It seems that he was a lot more risk when drafted at #11 overall than he would be today, if the knee checks out.

This from John Clayton yesterday . . .

"Contract talks between the Dolphins and Brees' agent, Tom Condon, did not take place because Brees spent the day undergoing a battery of doctors' tests. He underwent so many that he had to visit at least two different facilities to be tested. Not only did doctors perform an MRI on his shoulder, but the Dolphins gave Brees a full physical."

Now I'm sure we're not getting all the information regarding Brees. And everyone keeps saying that the Saints are offering more.

I am very happy that the Dolphins are doing their homework on Brees' shoulder. It sounds like they really put him through a ton of tests all day Monday.

How did the Saints offer him a big contract without doing their own tests? Did I miss that? Did the Saints do their homework at all?

I was a little suprised that Clayton said the Saints would target Mario at #2 if they signed Brees. I think Mario is worthy of the pick and if the Saints draft with the idea of BPA it makes sense, but like it was talked about in the Brees/NO thread, DBrick might be the better choice.

IMO, if Brees goes to NO, that #2 pick will be traded. Someone will offer the Saints enough in order to get Leinart.

I trully hope the Saints DO NOT take another DE with their first pick. Assuming the team gets Brees, they should set their target on A.J Hawk.  Our run defense needs big time help and he should bring a lot to the field.
Agreed.Grant and W Smith are one of the best tandems in the League. Why draft Mario and leave him on the bench?? If they're thinking D, they really need to go with Hawk. Passing on a QB will also allow NO to trade-down a few spots, gain maybe an extra 2nd-rounder and still land Hawk.

And I thought our trend of drafting a DE in the first round every damn year would go out the door with Haslett.

Why on earth would anyone go after CulPep w/o being able to give him a physical?

The Saints are to DE, what Detroit is to WR.

At least they understand that the line wins games.

I trully hope the Saints DO NOT take another DE with their first pick. Assuming the team gets Brees, they should set their target on A.J Hawk. Our run defense needs big time help and he should bring a lot to the field.
Agreed.Grant and W Smith are one of the best tandems in the League. Why draft Mario and leave him on the bench?? If they're thinking D, they really need to go with Hawk. Passing on a QB will also allow NO to trade-down a few spots, gain maybe an extra 2nd-rounder and still land Hawk.
Why wouldn't they just trade up to 1.01 and grab Bush?Or down with the Raiders, and get Hawk/Justice/Ngata/Huff?

Why on earth would anyone go after CulPep w/o being able to give him a physical?
This confuses me a bit. If the Viks are willing to pay him the bonus and all, you would think they know his knee is something that can be rehabbed.If they want to get value in a trade, they have to let another team give him a physical. If they hold back because the Vikes know he is hurt, why are they willing to pay him the bonus?

Not sure what to make of that.

This confuses me a bit. If the Viks are willing to pay him the bonus and all, you would think they know his knee is something that can be rehabbed.
does anyone know when Culpepper would be due the roster bonus? I know it is in March, but what date?

I agree, this is by a LONG SHOT the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. Anyone who does this is insane.

No offense to John Clayton, but I got the distinct impression today he was throwing out pure conjecture on the Mario Williams at #2 front. For a team with so many needs, and having a solid pair or defensive ends [enough so that they let Darren Howard walk]; there are other elite grade players that fit the bill at 2 [or more likely they move down a few slots].

This confuses me a bit.  If the Viks are willing to pay him the bonus and all, you would think they know his knee is something that can be rehabbed.
does anyone know when Culpepper would be due the roster bonus? I know it is in March, but what date?
17th i do believe.

This confuses me a bit. If the Viks are willing to pay him the bonus and all, you would think they know his knee is something that can be rehabbed.
17th i do believe.
last I heard it was moved to the 23rd or 24th due to the late CBA :confused:

No offense to John Clayton, but I got the distinct impression today he was throwing out pure conjecture on the Mario Williams at #2 front. For a team with so many needs, and having a solid pair or defensive ends [enough so that they let Darren Howard walk]; there are other elite grade players that fit the bill at 2 [or more likely they move down a few slots].
The idea that the Saints would draft Mario Williams if they got Brees is ridiculous. Ferguson makes the most sense, as has been said, but they did draft Jamaal Brown last year and he played well enough on the right to move him to left. If they went that route, Hawk is the next obvious choice.

Monday, 03/13/06

Culpepper likes Miami over Titans, others

By JIM WYATT

Staff Writer

As the Titans joined several other teams in flirting with the Vikings about possibly trading for quarterback Daunte Culpepper, one key question was slow to be answered.

How interested was Culpepper in becoming a Titan?

$145,000 MORTGAGE LOAN $484/MO

Compare up to 4 free refinance quotes fast. Refinance and save $1000s!

www.lowermybills.com

His answer: Not very.

Culpepper let the Titans know he has his sights set on becoming a Miami Dolphin, which contributed to Tennessee pulling out of the hunt for the embattled quarterback.

That's the story being painted elsewhere around the NFL, though yesterday Titans General Manager Floyd Reese continued to downplay the seriousness of his team's interest from the beginning.

"I know he is a Florida boy, that is all I know,'' Reese said of Culpepper, who is from Ocala, Fla. "The conversations I had with (the Vikings) were very brief.''

The Titans were among the teams which received a call from the Vikings on Friday to gauge their interest in trading for Culpepper.

While Reese has done his best to squash talk of Tennessee's interest, there are also indications the Titans had — and may still have — interest in Culpepper if he doesn't land with a new team soon.

Miami has also been involved in trade talks for Culpepper, although last night the Dolphins were arranging for a visit from Chargers quarterback Drew Brees.

The Raiders are also interested in Culpepper, who has requested a trade from the Vikings. He is due a $6 million roster bonus on March 25. If the Vikings aren't able to trade him, he could be released.

Culpepper, 29, has been named to the Pro Bowl three times with the Vikings, but his 2005 season was rocky. It ended when he tore three of four ligaments in his right knee Oct. 30 against the Panthers. It's unclear if Culpepper will be ready for the the 2006 season.

This confuses me a bit.  If the Viks are willing to pay him the bonus and all, you would think they know his knee is something that can be rehabbed.
17th i do believe.
last I heard it was moved to the 23rd or 24th due to the late CBA :confused:
You could be right, I haven't been paying much attention lately to Culp.

The idea that the Saints would draft Mario Edwards if they got Brees is ridiculous. Ferguson makes the most sense, as has been said, but they did draft Jamaal Brown last year and he played well enough on the right to move him to left. If they went that route, Hawk is the next obvious choice.
As a Packer fan, all I can say, "Good God man, I hope you're right..." :(

The idea that the Saints would draft Mario Williams if they got Brees is ridiculous. Ferguson makes the most sense, as has been said, but they did draft Jamaal Brown last year and he played well enough on the right to move him to left. If they went that route, Hawk is the next obvious choice.
So the Pack can get Williams (forget that I said Edwards earlier. Where'd I get THAT from?)?I think the Pack is going to get their pick of either Williams or Hawk. Either would be a boon.

If the Saints go through all of this Brees stuff so they won't have to take a QB, then take another DE, I will go outside and slam my head in a car door.

A trade would most likely include Culpepper passing some sort of physical. Teams just don't roll the dice on trades.Edited - If a team gave Culpepper a physical prior to agreeing on a trade, then all the leverage resides with the destination team.

"Well we gave Culpepper a physical and we are less optimistic about this and that...how about a 6th round pick?"

So the Pack can get Williams (forget that I said Edwards earlier. Where'd I get THAT from?)?I think the Pack is going to get their pick of either Williams or Hawk. Either would be a boon.
Yeah, a few weeks ago it seemed to be a lock. But since Williams blew people away at the combine, there's a lot of chatter that he will go before getting to the Packers. I'd love to see Hawk in Green and Gold, but #5 seems a bit high. Of course, this is the Packers we're talking about, which means they'll do something that NO ONE expects them to...it's a draft day ritual at this point.

:goodposting: I was thinking the same thing last night when I heard that on SC. They've already drafted 3 DL in the past 4 years with their 1st pick. They alread have Grant, Howard, and Smith at DE. All 3 guys can play. Why in the world would you draft Williams?! I don't see this happening.

<Smokescreen>

That's right, Mr. Clayton. If we get a Free agent quarterback, we're going after Mario Williams in the draft. He's just awe inspiring. OOPS! did I say that out loud? Oh, well, guess the cat's out of the bag now!

</Smokescreen>

:goodposting: I was thinking the same thing last night when I heard that on SC. They've already drafted 3 DL in the past 4 years with their 1st pick. They alread have Grant, Howard, and Smith at DE. All 3 guys can play. Why in the world would you draft Williams?! I don't see this happening.
Howard signed a 6 year, $30 million contract with the Eagles earlier this week. Regardless, there is depth at the DE position. DT, maybe, could be considered but certainly not DE.

Too much to cover today so he'll be on again later in the morning, but here's what he had to say so far . . .

- Plan B for Miami is Culpepper for a 2nd round pick, but the Vikes have not allowed Culpepper to take any physicals so health is a potential issue.

- Culpepper would likely stay in Minnesota if he's not traded to Miami as no other teams are willing to part with a 2nd round pick.

- Saints likely would draft DE Mario Williams at #2 if they sign Brees. Titans would then take Leinart.

- Patrick Ramsey likely traded today or tomorrow to NYJ, DET, MIA for a 4th or 5th rounder.
Looks pretty accurate right about now.........

- Saints likely would draft DE Mario Williams at #2 if they sign Brees.  Titans would then take Leinart.

Looks pretty accurate right about now.........
Yeah - Culpepper to Miami, Brees to the Saints, Kitna to Detroit so that leaves Ramsey to the Jets.

Users who are viewing this thread