What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

John McCain (1 Viewer)

Is there any data to support this?  Last I checked, Trump's approval ratings amongst Republicans was between 85-90%.

Besides a couple of high profile folks like George Will and Joe Scarborough leaving the party, I think most Republicans came home, voted Trump, and remain with the Party today.
Maybe it's gone up....last I saw they were down about 5-6 points with most of them being white women.  I guess it could have gone up from the end of last year....not sure :shrug:  

There was also a 3-4 point increase of those who identified as independent at that time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there any data to support this?  Last I checked, Trump's approval ratings amongst Republicans was between 85-90%.

Besides a couple of high profile folks like George Will and Joe Scarborough leaving the party, I think most Republicans came home, voted Trump, and remain with the Party today.
Gowdy. Ryan.  I'd say they're pretty big names. 

Maybe it's gone up....last I saw they were down about 5-6 points with most of them being white women.  I guess it could have gone up from the end of last year....not sure :shrug:  

There was also a 3-4 point increase of those who identified as independent at that time.
A lot of that is simply a farce. We saw the same thing when conservatives got embarassed about calling themselves Republicans during the twilight of the Bush years and in the early Obama years.  They'll call themselves independents, or tea partiers, or libertarians.  And they'll continue to vote for Republicans.  

Right - they're bowing out before they get voted out.  But they're not leaving the Republican party because of Trump.  They've embraced him.  
As soon as Gowdy announced he wasn't running, he came out and said that if Trump is innocent, he should start acting like it.  Very very few Republicans embrace Trump. They are caught in an impossible situation where they can't reveal their true feelings or they will get destroyed by the party. McCain is the perfect example. People can't wait for him to die because he actually spoke about what he thought was right and didn't pretend to think Trump was smart or a quality person.  Currently, Lindsay Graham is the only Republican I know who doesn't kiss Trump's ### and is running for reelection. It's very rare.  Bottom line is, the pretend to like Trump to save their jobs.

I don't know where this narrative of McCain as casting party-line votes comes from. Is McCain-Feingold down?  

As soon as Gowdy announced he wasn't running, he came out and said that if Trump is innocent, he should start acting like it.  Very very few Republicans embrace Trump. They are caught in an impossible situation where they can't reveal their true feelings or they will get destroyed by the party. McCain is the perfect example. People can't wait for him to die because he actually spoke about what he thought was right and didn't pretend to think Trump was smart or a quality person.  Currently, Lindsay Graham is the only Republican I know who doesn't kiss Trump's ### and is running for reelection. It's very rare.  Bottom line is, the pretend to like Trump to save their jobs.
I think that's bending over backwards to give those guys the benefit of the doubt.  IMO, a more accurate way to determine a politician's views on Trump is to examine their words and their votes.  And on that basis, they are all in with Trump.  

I think that's bending over backwards to give those guys the benefit of the doubt.  IMO, a more accurate way to determine a politician's views on Trump is to examine their words and their votes.  And on that basis, they are all in with Trump.  
So the part about needing to do that if they want to get reelected went over your head. I see.   

Simply pointing out that a Republican president running on a generally Republican platform earns Republican support is like saying "water is wet." 

Of course he's supporting a lot of Trump policies and nominations. They're both Rs right now.  

He so far, according to 538, has opposed his Trump's foreign policy, trade policies (I think), and has in the past broke from his party on campaign financing and immigration. 

What do you expect him to do, support Bernie Sanders?  

eta* Just because he voted to repeal the ACA doesn't make him unwilling to work across the aisle on things. It might, to a Democrat, seem evil, but it's a perfectly respectable Republican position.  

Simply pointing out that a Republican president running on a generally Republican platform earns Republican support is like saying "water is wet." 

Of course he's supporting a lot of Trump policies and nominations. They're both Rs right now.  

He so far, according to 538, has opposed his Trump's foreign policy, trade policies (I think), and has in the past broke from his party on campaign financing and immigration. 

What do you expect him to do, support Bernie Sanders?  
No, I expect McCain to continue supporting Trump's policies and positions on the issues.  That's his MO.  :shrug:

No, I expect McCain to continue supporting Trump's policies and positions on the issues.  That's his MO.  :shrug:
In a way, Trump ran on a Republican platform with several tweaks to it, so it's not like there's a particular brand of anything that Trump represents. He ran on immigration restrictions and trade and industry, and took an extreme Republican position on immigration and a blue collar one on trade and industry. But Trump is also a prototypical Republican, or has governed like one. Too much is made of Trumpism; not enough made of how traditionally Republican he is in everything but temperament.

And it's obvious that McCain doesn't like the guy.  

rockaction said:
In a way, Trump ran on a Republican platform with several tweaks to it, so it's not like there's a particular brand of anything that Trump represents. He ran on immigration restrictions and trade and industry, and took an extreme Republican position on immigration and a blue collar one on trade and industry. But Trump is also a prototypical Republican, or has governed like one. Too much is made of Trumpism; not enough made of how traditionally Republican he is in everything but temperament.

And it's obvious that McCain doesn't like the guy.  
I agree - Trump isn't the cause, he's a symptom.  I just don't think you get to say McCain is standing up to Trump when he's virtually in lockstep with him on the issues.  

I agree - Trump isn't the cause, he's a symptom.  I just don't think you get to say McCain is standing up to Trump when he's virtually in lockstep with him on the issues.  
I don't think I said that. The main point I was trying to get across is that he has a history, unlike almost ninety percent of Congress, of reaching across the aisle to pass major legislation.  

I don't think I said that. The main point I was trying to get across is that he has a history, unlike almost ninety percent of Congress, of reaching across the aisle to pass major legislation.  
You're right again.  In his 35+ years in Congress, McCain has reached across the aisle a couple of times.   

Totally agree. Too many republicans try to play it both ways. Speak out against his most outlandish statements but then vote right along his agenda and do nothing to check his constant pushing the boundaries of democracy.

you don’t get to vote with him on everything and then on the way out the door make a few statements to clear your conscience/

You're right again.  In his 35+ years in Congress, McCain has reached across the aisle a couple of times.   
When it comes to campaign finance reform and immigration, those are significant issues that most people aren't willing to reach across the aisle on because they're so integral to each party's platform. 

So I think you guys are giving him short shrift here.  

tommyGunZ said:
The Commish said:

A lot of that is simply a farce. We saw the same thing when conservatives got embarassed about calling themselves Republicans during the twilight of the Bush years and in the early Obama years.  They'll call themselves independents, or tea partiers, or libertarians.  And they'll continue to vote for Republicans.  
It's always possible they could be lying.  You asked for the data, so I gave you the best we have.  If you don't believe it, or put little stock in it, ok :shrug:

We'll know for sure in a few months and in 2020 based on voting results, right?

tommyGunZ said:
This sort of undermines the point you're trying to make.  Sure, McCain voted in favor of Trump's position a large percentage of the time.  But a ton of those votes were boring issues where McCain was voting the way that any Republican would have voted.  I mean, so what if McCain voted to confirm Trump's pick for Secretary of Agriculture?

Edit: Of all the things I hate about Trump, most of them don't involve policy, or at least not the kind of policy that a legislator would be voting on.  I didn't like the tax bill, and I despise Trump's stance on immigration.  I also don't support repealing Obamacare, but realistically any Republican was going to come down on that side on that one.  But mostly when I think of why I hate Trump, the first few things that come to mind involve his racism and misogyny, his overall lowering of our discourse, and his recklessly incompetent approach to foreign policy.  None of those are items where McCain or any other senator can do much in terms of their votes.    

McCain differed on Trump on DACA in favor of a bipartisan bill that didn't include money for the wall saved the GOP from embarrassment by voting against a silly bill to overturn Obamacare. I am sure there are other issues of lessor note he opposed Trump on as well. Most importantly he dislikes Trump because of his lack of integrity and character.

JuniorNB said:
It's way shorter to write that they are just cowards who are shirking the biggest responsibility of their offices.  How these guys are getting painted as heros leaving the party is beyond me. 

It's way shorter to write that they are just cowards who are shirking the biggest responsibility of their offices.  How these guys are getting painted as heros leaving the party is beyond me. 
I've said this for a year now. If one single Republican office holder would have a moment of morality and actually take to a podium somewhere and say 'enough is enough' and make an epic, emotional, heartfelt speech about how he will no longer stand by quietly as this horrible criminal attempts to discredit the DOJ, FBI, and CIA in an attempt to get away with his years of lawbreaking, and plead to fellow Republicans to take a stand against this tyrant, he would go down in history as an American hero. The tide would turn and one by one the others would see public reaction and follow suit. It would save the Republican party and, more importantly, the country.   But none of them have the spine.  Not yet. 

I've said this for a year now. If one single Republican office holder would have a moment of morality and actually take to a podium somewhere and say 'enough is enough' and make an epic, emotional, heartfelt speech about how he will no longer stand by quietly as this horrible criminal attempts to discredit the DOJ, FBI, and CIA in an attempt to get away with his years of lawbreaking, and plead to fellow Republicans to take a stand against this tyrant, he would go down in history as an American hero. The tide would turn and one by one the others would see public reaction and follow suit. It would save the Republican party and, more importantly, the country.   But none of them have the spine.  Not yet. 
Good, then stop praising those that are leaving office.  Their greatest responsibility in office is to check the power of the Executive Branch.  Not take their ball and go home because they don't want to deal with the scrutiny of office.

And that person would get primaried ASAP and never be heard from again. Therein lies the rub. 

Good, then stop praising those that are leaving office.  Their greatest responsibility in office is to check the power of the Executive Branch.  Not take their ball and go home because they don't want to deal with the scrutiny of office.
Not praising them. Simply pointing out that when the pressure of getting reelected is removed, these guys actually find the balls to speak their minds. 

And that person would get primaried ASAP and never be heard from again. Therein lies the rub. 
That's what stopping every single one of them. I know that.  But you're wrong about the second part. It would start a movement. And suddenly other Republicans would grow a set.  Those who are considered heroes in this country didn't necessarily take the easy path. 

Yeah that's called being a ####### coward.
Definitely not the only people in the country who are afraid to speak their minds for fear of losing their jobs, but I do agree with you in principle. They were voted in to serve the country. 

Definitely not the only people in the country who are afraid to speak their minds for fear of losing their jobs, but I do agree with you in principle. They were voted in to serve the country. 
And the second they are asked to they run and hide.  These people should be called out, not applauded, not treated like they are fulfilling some sort of service to us.

I disagree. How's that? I think sometimes things are so untenable, you just leave. It becomes not worth it.  

It seems like you're trying to argue with someone who agrees with you. 
I was just conversating, not arguing.  Just because you are a godless Eagles fan I don't have to argue with you about everything  :P

ETA:  Expressing my frustration out loud is probably a better phrase than conversating.

I was just conversating, not arguing.  Just because you are a godless Eagles fan I don't have to argue with you about everything  :P

ETA:  Expressing my frustration out loud is probably a better phrase than conversating.
Well it sounded aggressive and it hurt me.   :(

Well it sounded aggressive and it hurt me.   :(
I'm sorry, I will purchase two Philadelphia Style Cheeseteaks today and say one injury recovery prayer for Carson Wentz as penance.

Although if you could let me know which God I should pray to that would be helpful, I'm assuming the collective population of Philadelphia had to sell it's soul to some deity for that Super Bowl.

I'm sorry, I will purchase two Philadelphia Style Cheeseteaks today and say one injury recovery prayer for Carson Wentz as penance.

Although if you could let me know which God I should pray to that would be helpful, I'm assuming the collective population of Philadelphia had to sell it's soul to some deity for that Super Bowl.
Make it one cheesesteak and two prayers for Wentz and all will be forgiven.  ;)

Rams Vikings Saints and Packers with a healthy Rodgers. NFC is going to be brutal this year. 
No doubt.  It's a toss up especially with the first 4 you mention.   A good case can be made for any of those teams. 

My house will be brutal this year, the wife's a die hard Vikes fan.  Sundays will be fun this year!

Users who are viewing this thread