What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

John R. Lewis Voting Rights Act (1 Viewer)

Thank goodness the people who run elections have a process to handle pre-registration.

How Preregistration Works

Preregistration is an election procedure that allows individuals younger than 18 years of age to register to vote, so they are eligible to cast a ballot when they reach 18, the voting age for all state and federal elections. Typically, a pre-registrant will fill out an application and be added to the voter registration list with a “pending” or “preregistration” status. Upon turning 18, the individual is added to the voter registration list and able to cast a ballot.

Last edited by a moderator:
And this is the issue.  A young person will go and line up to get his driver's license, but he is less likely to line up to get on the voter registry.  By doing this at the same time, you are making it easier and more convenient for him.

And guess which party would prefer young people not to vote.
Not everyone wants to vote.  It’s a really easy process and always has been.

Why do you want to force people on the voting rolls?

14 states currently allow voting registration for 16 & 17 year olds. Includes several red states.
This is good information that should not be glossed over. This provision in the John Lewis bill is causing some concern yet it's been tried with success at the state level for years with no downside and no allusions to misuse or fraud. It is a mechanism to allow for a more convenient process which allows greater participation in our democratic institution of voting. Which, truth be told, voting is where our voices are heard most no matter the gnashing of teeth regarding every day sausage making we carry on here in this forum and other social media outlets.

Republicans have acknowledged on a few occasions that increased voter turnout is bad for them. So they've invented a boogeyman to get their supporters behind laws aimed to prevent it.

“They had things, levels of voting that if you’d ever agreed to it, you’d never have a Republican elected in this country again.” 

"I don't want everybody to vote. Elections are not won by a majority of the people. They never have been from the beginning of our country and they are not now. As a matter of fact, our leverage in the elections quite candidly goes up as the voting populace goes down."
It does seem they will oppose anything at all that increases the number of people voting.

This is good information that should not be glossed over. This provision in the John Lewis bill is causing some concern yet it's been tried with success at the state level for years with no downside and no allusions to misuse or fraud. It is a mechanism to allow for a more convenient process which allows greater participation in our democratic institution of voting. Which, truth be told, voting is where our voices are heard most no matter the gnashing of teeth regarding every day sausage making we carry on here in this forum and other social media outlets.
People act like this is some new radical idea by the left. Its not. Red, blue, and swing states have been using it for years.

Don't feel like reading the proposed bill.  As long as there is a voter identification requirement, I could not care less if it gets passed.  To me, that is the most paramount issue.  The person voting is the who they say they are, voting where they're supposed to, making one vote and they are eligible to make that one vote in the manner prescribed by their State legislature.       

We have this law where I live.  It’s good because people are able to register to vote when they get a drivers license.  I’m not aware of any illegal votes resulting from the policy.
In the deep blue states of NC and SC this is also how it works (unless something's changed in recent years which is possible).  I registered to vote in the 1992 election months before I turned 18.  I didn't realize this was such a problem.

Thank goodness the people who run elections have a process to handle pre-registration.

How Preregistration Works

Preregistration is an election procedure that allows individuals younger than 18 years of age to register to vote, so they are eligible to cast a ballot when they reach 18, the voting age for all state and federal elections. Typically, a pre-registrant will fill out an application and be added to the voter registration list with a “pending” or “preregistration” status. Upon turning 18, the individual is added to the voter registration list and able to cast a ballot.
What if that person has moved and hasnt let anyone know?

I have no idea, but I'd imagine its similar to the process for any registered voter who moves. They'd be responsible for (pre)registering in their new state.

Look up how Utah, Louisiana, or Florida handle it. I'd bet it's the same process in each of the 14 states who currently allow it.

From the link at the top of this page:

Logistics. Since preregistered youth may move between preregistration and their first chance to vote, these registrations may no longer be accurate and valid. States may need to send notifications to preregistered voters once they turn 18 to confirm the registration and address information. There may also need to be updates or additions to the statewide voter registration database in order to enter preregistrations and track this information.

From the link at the top of this page:

Logistics. Since preregistered youth may move between preregistration and their first chance to vote, these registrations may no longer be accurate and valid. States may need to send notifications to preregistered voters once they turn 18 to confirm the registration and address information. There may also need to be updates or additions to the statewide voter registration database in order to enter preregistrations and track this information.
So they're relying on the pre registered voter to tell them? That's my point. If the pre registered voter doesn't want to or there's some ulterior motive involved couldn't you just register in two spots and vote in two spots?

I think that's the part at gets me suspicious.  How do I know as a state that a registered voter hasn't been pre-registered in a different state and added to the rolls and in that state as well?

What is the trigger to a state or county or city that says, hey we should double-check this guy?

So they're relying on the pre registered voter to tell them? That's my point. If the pre registered voter doesn't want to or there's some ulterior motive involved couldn't you just register in two spots and vote in two spots?

I think that's the part at gets me suspicious.  How do I know as a state that a registered voter hasn't been pre-registered in a different state and added to the rolls and in that state as well?

What is the trigger to a state or county or city that says, hey we should double-check this guy?
What's to stop anyone from doing this that is on the voter rolls?  Is your suggestion not to have voter rolls and just register at the time of vote?

Why are you suspicious now when its been in use in red states for years? Have there been any issues? No, no one has found any voter issues worth worrying about. I'll leave it to the people who are responsible for such concerns.

As I said, this is not some new radical left idea. 

There's a lady in a Texas jail who can attest to the severity of running afoul of voting laws. And she made a simple mistake. This belief that voters will register in multiple jurisdictions and risk severe penalties and even incarceration defies reality.

Democrats see voting rights differently than Republicans do

maybe this is a better overall view of what that Act is ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Lewis_Voting_Rights_Act

• Election seats and jurisdiction boundary changes
  • Redistricting
  • Voter I.D. requirements
  • Multi-lingual voting materials
  • Voting locations and voting opportunities
  • Voter roll maintenance

but the guts of it appears to be this ... https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2021/08/what-would-the-john-lewis-voting-rights-act-actually-do.html

Would the John Lewis Act stop the current explosion of state laws restricting voting rights?

Many of the provisions in the state Republican-enacted voter-suppression  (voting) laws that popped up after the 2020 election would be flatly (and retroactively) prohibited by H.R. 1/S. 1. The John Lewis Act would also stop future laws and procedural changes from taking effect without a Justice Department preclearance. It’s hard to know exactly which laws and procedural changes would and would not pass muster, and it’s worth considering that a future Republican administration might very well reverse pro-voting-rights guidance set down by the Biden administration.

But without question, the John Lewis Act would slow down, and might well inhibit, voter-suppression (voting laws) activity.

don't misunderstand the wording - its NOT voter-suppression .... to have laws, rules and regulations that make sure everyone who votes legally can. I mean who could possibly be against that ? 

the answer is - Democrats/liberals. The more relaxed voting law are, the more votes they can get. I truly believe that's why Biden is allowing millions to come across the border. Those illegals, couple with lax voting laws, is a huge addition for a voting base ..... and its all about winning elections isn't it ?
If the process of establishing voting rules is more prohibitive for one group it’s suppression disguised as accuracy.  There’s no proof that significant fraud has occurred.  This is just the talking point they give you to defend suppression.

the second bold is just conspiracy level nonsense

There's a lady in a Texas jail who can attest to the severity of running afoul of voting laws. And she made a simple mistake. This belief that voters will register in multiple jurisdictions and risk severe penalties and even incarceration defies reality.
And then consider you would need hundreds, if not thousands, of people all taking the same risk in the same state in order to be anywhere near significant.

And then consider you would need hundreds, if not thousands, of people all taking the same risk in the same state in order to be anywhere near significant.

This is untrue.  You may be looking at larger elections but there are much smaller elections that can be swayed by just one or a few votes.  Those elections matter too.

This is untrue.  You may be looking at larger elections but there are much smaller elections that can be swayed by just one or a few votes.  Those elections matter too.
Point taken, but yes I'm referring to Presidential elections as that's where the focus has been on voter fraud. Although I'll maintain that pre-registration carries the same issues as registration by people who are of legal age to vote.

If this thing wasn’t already DOA, Sen. Sinema has made it clear again today she isn’t doing away with the filibuster. I saw she was being roasted by the blue check brigade. Just speculating Sen. Kelly appreciates the cover for not having to take that vote facing re-election this year in Arizona. 

Why are you suspicious now when its been in use in red states for years? Have there been any issues? No, no one has found any voter issues worth worrying about. I'll leave it to the people who are responsible for such concerns.

As I said, this is not some new radical left idea. 
I asked you a question because I really don't know if it's handled or not.  Can you stop with the snark and just answer the question?  Or if you can't, then just say I don't know.

It does not defy reality because people find workarounds to pretty much everything. The reason they're called criminals is because they don't obey the laws.

Stop pretending that voter fraud is some Fringe idea. What defies reality is you think that it doesn't happen.

In a well functioning Republic we’d be able to find a reasonable compromise that facilitates voting while also mitigating fraud.  It’s a very solvable issue.
Well I asked some questions and I actually got some kind of good answers.  The one question they couldn't answer then suddenly I'm just supposed to shut up and accept it as if the question I'm asking it's so absurd that it's out of the realm of possibility.

Let's put to the side that when we are talking of "preregistration" we're talking about teenagers for the most part.  The bold seems to be the meat of your "concern".  This "how do I know" exists as people move from one state to the other.  The answer is, it's not your job as state X to know what's going on in state Y.  So you're not going to know and you aren't going to be expected to know.  States are completely independent of each other.  They are responsible for themselves and themselves alone.  

In a well functioning Republic we’d be able to find a reasonable compromise that facilitates voting while also mitigating fraud.  It’s a very solvable issue.
What fraud are you looking to mitigate? Your posts seems to imply there's a problem that needs to be solved. 

You're in Colorado? How much voter fraud do you think happening on the state level with our system. I feel I'm a much more informed voter on local issues with vote by mail.

It's to whip up the passion of the base, and that part is working.
And Manchin just praised Sinema's speech so he isn't going anywhere either.

Senator Joe Manchin praised fellow conservative Democrat Senator Kyrsten Sinema’s speech in which she indicated she would not vote to eliminate the filibuster to advance voting rights legislation.

Mr Manchin spoke with The Independent on the way to a meeting between President Joe Biden and Democratic senators as the White House seeks to enact legislation ahead of the 2022 midterms and the next presidential election.

“Very good,” Mr Manchin said of his colleague’s remarks. “Excellent speech.”

No kidding. Amazing how much energy the blue team spends creating new crises vs. solving existing ones (Covid, inflation, immigration, climate, etc, etc).
Team Blue has ideas to solve the crises you are describing but Team Red keeps preventing them from attempting those solutions.  So the first problem that needs to be solved, at least in the opinion of most of us, is to rebalance our democracy so that Team Blue can have more power to do that stuff.

Team Blue has ideas to solve the crises you are describing but Team Red keeps preventing them from attempting those solutions.  So the first problem that needs to be solved, at least in the opinion of most of us, is to rebalance our democracy so that Team Blue can have more power to do that stuff.
I assume by us you are referring to the left.  Take voter ID laws and the polling on that nationally, it's pretty clear the majority is for requiring voter ID.  I certainly don't think the majority of the public is for rebalancing our democracy so the Democrats have more power.  I do want to say with zero snark intended, I do appreciate your honesty on that though.  Not many will openly say and admit that the end goal is that.

If the process of establishing voting rules is more prohibitive for one group it’s suppression disguised as accuracy.  There’s no proof that significant fraud has occurred.  This is just the talking point they give you to defend suppression.

the second bold is just conspiracy level nonsense

no proof of that exists either - does it ?

voting laws/rules are applicable across the board to everyone equally - show me one that doesn't. I'll wait

Users who are viewing this thread