What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Johnny Knox = Martz’s new Mike Furrey? (1 Viewer)

Love this kid. Should be streaky though. I'm guessing very high peaks and very low valleys throughout the season. Perfect player as a flex or the survivor contest.

I would pay attention to the guy they mention that "he gets it" in the press during the offseason/preseason. I don't care if it is a UDFA, if he gets those accolades, he is on my "must draft" list...hopefully it is a guy like Knox who can be had cheaper than Hester or Arosh...u.

He'll be the #1 or Torry Holt. I'm not saying he's as good as Torry Holt or that he'll put up Holt numbers but he'll lead this team in receiving and 90+ catches isn't out of the question.

This is interesting I found the reception break down for the Martz offenses. > http://www.windycitygridiron.com/2010/2/18...eak-down-of-the

I am having a hard time predicting which Chicago player will be the key cogs in the Martz machine.
Nice article, but it goes back to my point "does he get it". Furrey was displaced for Mcdonald, because he knew ths system...now Furrey's 98 ctach season before would show that he did get it, so maybe the real question is whether he brings in an old favorite...only one I could think of would be Curtis, and if the Bears end up with him all bets are off, but what all those stats show me is that he rides the hot hand even more than the old Smith/Delhomme combo. When you take Bruce/Holt out of the equation from the Rams days (both were excellent in their own right), you are left with a guy who will get 30% more reception than the next...
Yes it is a nice article.one thing I'd point out:

Most of Martz Offenses went like this:

#1 WR, #2 WR and RB are all fairly equal in catches. (I dont have stats on looks)

in the couple of seasons where that didnt happen, there would be 1 top WR with 75+ catches along with a number of WR's, TE, and RB who got 30+ catches and about 400-700 yards each. (not fantasy relevant other than maybe for the QB)

So from what I can tell, one bet I will make is that Forte will catch a lot of balls. My guess is he will catch at least 40 but possibly 60 or 70 with a reasonable prediction being around 55 Catches.

the other bet I'd make is that one WR (my money is on knox) will get 70+ catches.

The only question is whether he uncovers a second WR who can do it or whether it goes to a committe like in those other years where he didnt have a solid #2.

My hope is that I'll be able to figure that out by the end of the exhibition season.

Isn't Hester being held out of practice right now?
Hamstring issues
That's what I thought.So 1) Hester being out is why Knox is getting more looks from Cutler (along with what they are saying about holes in Cover-2)2) Hester being out puts Hester at a disadvantage in this timing offense and allows Cutler to gain more confidence in Knox for the season.
The sooner you forget about Hester.....the sooner you will win FF games.

Isn't Hester being held out of practice right now?
Hamstring issues
That's what I thought.So 1) Hester being out is why Knox is getting more looks from Cutler (along with what they are saying about holes in Cover-2)2) Hester being out puts Hester at a disadvantage in this timing offense and allows Cutler to gain more confidence in Knox for the season.
The sooner you forget about Hester.....the sooner you will win FF games.
no kidding. People have been predicting his breakout year for quite some time. At some point we have to accept that he is just a journeyman.However, with that being said, if anyone can make a receiver out of him, I'd put my money on Martz. If he fails, I'd bet money he will never step up to the plate.

hmm ...

let's see- Cutler was 2 for 2 for 47 yds the short time he started the game and those yards all went to Knox

I'm starting to believe....

the big question to me is when will he get drafted ? I know he's shooting up the ADP board. Just don't want to reach.

What's the highest you would draft Knox ?

hmm ...let's see- Cutler was 2 for 2 for 47 yds the short time he started the game and those yards all went to KnoxI'm starting to believe....the big question to me is when will he get drafted ? I know he's shooting up the ADP board. Just don't want to reach.What's the highest you would draft Knox ?
I had a redraft today and I took him at the 85th pick which virtually everyone at the draft I was at thought was a reach. FBG rankings has him around that area but I am not sure the general public buys into that at this time (and I am a homer, so I tend to question my own subjectivity when it comes to Bear players). That said, I considered him the round before that very strongly and would not have hesitated if not for other team needs. So I am probably on the lower extreme but I would certainly consider him in the pick 70+ range very strongly and anywhere after pick 80 to me would be good value.

Martz coming to Chicago was the best thing that could happen to owners of Johnny Knox (Cutler, too). This kid is mega-talented & just needs a format to show his stuff.

Knox now has that format. He's got an excellent chance to be a FF monster in time.

I like the kid, but the love he's getting is killing his value--for me, he went from being a guy I target in every league, to avoiding because I'm not willing to reach for him (no doubt you will have to)... The 2 for 47 doesn't mean that much to me and we could easily see one of the other WR's doing something similar the next pre-season game...I think he's a good number 3 that will be hot or miss all season

I just had my auction yesterday, and let me just say that the cat is out of the bag on this guy. Everyone waited till the last second to nominate him and then an all out bidding war of about 5 different guys took place over him. It turns out that everyone was saving money for the end of the draft in hopes of getting him for cheap. Bottom line is, if you want him you'll need to reach to get him.

what's the highest you would be willing to take him before you think it's considered 'reaching ?'
It's hard to say because depending on where people get their info and how knowledgable they are, his ranking is all over the place. A big part of the appeal and why I loved him early on and why I started the thread is that I thought he had a chance of being a decent WR2 if things broke right while he was ranked in 60's among wr's. Now he's in the high 20's (at least on this site) and while I think he could still have some upside here, the value is diminishing by the day.

MDSkinner said:
RalphMouth said:
hmm ...let's see- Cutler was 2 for 2 for 47 yds the short time he started the game and those yards all went to KnoxI'm starting to believe....the big question to me is when will he get drafted ? I know he's shooting up the ADP board. Just don't want to reach.What's the highest you would draft Knox ?
I had a redraft today and I took him at the 85th pick which virtually everyone at the draft I was at thought was a reach. FBG rankings has him around that area but I am not sure the general public buys into that at this time (and I am a homer, so I tend to question my own subjectivity when it comes to Bear players). That said, I considered him the round before that very strongly and would not have hesitated if not for other team needs. So I am probably on the lower extreme but I would certainly consider him in the pick 70+ range very strongly and anywhere after pick 80 to me would be good value.
Oh, they're buying it. I had to pay more than I thought in an auction league last weekend for him and I didn't get him this past weekend in a draft. He went 13.02 in that 10 team PPR draft. M.Wallace, MSW, V.Jackson, D.Bowe and TO were the 5 WR's taken before him and M.Floyd, D.Thomas, E.Royal, D.Mason, D.Driver and J.Gaffney were taken as the next 6 WR's off the board.

MDSkinner said:
RalphMouth said:
Oh, they're buying it. I had to pay more than I thought in an auction league last weekend for him and I didn't get him this past weekend in a draft. He went 13.02 in that 10 team PPR draft. M.Wallace, MSW, V.Jackson, D.Bowe and TO were the 5 WR's taken before him and M.Floyd, D.Thomas, E.Royal, D.Mason, D.Driver and J.Gaffney were taken as the next 6 WR's off the board.
I'm thinking in a standard 12 team league that Knox will go somewhere in the 7th round- I'm sure that could change to an even higher pick espicially if he puts together good stats or scores a TD in the next two pre-season games.

I just had my auction yesterday, and let me just say that the cat is out of the bag on this guy. Everyone waited till the last second to nominate him and then an all out bidding war of about 5 different guys took place over him. It turns out that everyone was saving money for the end of the draft in hopes of getting him for cheap. Bottom line is, if you want him you'll need to reach to get him.
Well, what percent of the cap did he end up at?

I had to pay $15 to keep Knox in a dynasty RFA auction.

Other WR's of note where priced at:

Miles Austin - $62 (this was a crazy bidding war on the last relevant player to go...original owner didn't even have the funds to match it)

Randy Moss - $33

Steve Smith (NYG) - $20

Chad Ochocinco - $19

Pierre Garcon - $19

Mike Wallace - $15

Sidney Rice - $12

Hines Ward - $6

We also get big points for return yards and the league is receiving heavy, so the potential for Knox to get some KR duty inflated him a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread