What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Joique Bell (1 Viewer)

If Bush doesn't play, I wonder if the Lions would have LeShoure active. Bell wouldn't be quite a cinch for any GL opportunities in that case.

Think he's a decent play this week if Bush is a go, and a top 5 back if Bush sits.
That is my only concern. If Bush is out, I would not be surprised at all if LeShoure is active and the GL back. That should still leave plenty for Bell to be a RB1 in ppr, but it's a little less certain in non-ppr.
Honestly, I don't see this as a concern at all. LeShoure has been a healthy scratch this season in favor of Bell. I'm not sure how he'd be a goal-line threat to Bell all of a sudden if Bush went down. If anything he'd be put out there simply to give Bell a breather. But steal opportunities from him? No way. I imagine we'd see what Charles saw in KC. Where even when he was on the bench he saw 100% of the actual carries in the game.
LeShoure has been inactive because he does not play special teams. The Lions have had pretty defined roles for their RB's over the last 2 seasons. I'd be willing to bet that if Bush is inactive, Bell will start and see the work Bush has been getting, with Leshoure spelling him for rest, and short yardage. LeShoure is a fine short yardage back, he was unseated because he lacks burst at the second level. He's also been a good soldier through all of this, so it's not like he's in the doghouse. It's just a gut call from a homer, but I feel pretty good in making it.

I am a Bell owner as well, so it's not something I'm rooting for either, it's just the way this staff has used backs. The running backs are used in the passing game so much here, there is no way it will be all Bell, all the time. They will find a way to get him breathers, and short yardage and GL is the one area where the drop off to LeShoure isn't that significant.

If Bush doesn't play, I wonder if the Lions would have LeShoure active. Bell wouldn't be quite a cinch for any GL opportunities in that case.

Think he's a decent play this week if Bush is a go, and a top 5 back if Bush sits.
That is my only concern. If Bush is out, I would not be surprised at all if LeShoure is active and the GL back. That should still leave plenty for Bell to be a RB1 in ppr, but it's a little less certain in non-ppr.
Honestly, I don't see this as a concern at all. LeShoure has been a healthy scratch this season in favor of Bell. I'm not sure how he'd be a goal-line threat to Bell all of a sudden if Bush went down. If anything he'd be put out there simply to give Bell a breather. But steal opportunities from him? No way. I imagine we'd see what Charles saw in KC. Where even when he was on the bench he saw 100% of the actual carries in the game.
LeShoure has been inactive because he does not play special teams. The Lions have had pretty defined roles for their RB's over the last 2 seasons. I'd be willing to bet that if Bush is inactive, Bell will start and see the work Bush has been getting, with Leshoure spelling him for rest, and short yardage. LeShoure is a fine short yardage back, he was unseated because he lacks burst at the second level. He's also been a good soldier through all of this, so it's not like he's in the doghouse. It's just a gut call from a homer, but I feel pretty good in making it.

I am a Bell owner as well, so it's not something I'm rooting for either, it's just the way this staff has used backs. The running backs are used in the passing game so much here, there is no way it will be all Bell, all the time. They will find a way to get him breathers, and short yardage and GL is the one area where the drop off to LeShoure isn't that significant.
Possible, honestly the only "real" reason I could see LeShoure getting anything remotely close to significant playing time is because the Lions are currently trying to shop LeShoure. Giving him some playing time and letting him maybe have a good game or two could help fetch a little more for the plodder.

The only thing that could hamper Bell's performance (assuming Bush is out) is Schwartz, he's a bone head and you can count on at least 2 Lions losses because of him!

I think people should temper their expectations for RBs going against the Washington D. It's only week 2, Washington has the talent on D to turn things around.

I think people should temper their expectations for RBs going against the Washington D. It's only week 2, Washington has the talent on D to turn things around.
I'd agree if they weren't going up against another potent offense. DET's passing game demands respect and WAS once again will have to pick their poison. I mean, I've watched the games and they truly have looked porous but haven't had the best of match-ups. This however, is not a plus match-up for them and not a week I envision them turning it around.

AtomicDogg97 said:
Any news of whether Bush is going to play? If he does are you guys still going to start Bell?
worried about the same thing...have to worry about Bush reinjuring or a lighter load if he does go. starting both is an option, at least the defense has been bad enough that them both doing well is feasible.

Reggie Bush plans to practice Friday Thu Sep 19, 03:30 PM

Detroit Lions RB Reggie Bush (knee) is optimistic about playing in Week 3 against the Washington Redskins and plans to return to practice Friday, Sept. 20. Head coach Jim Schwartz said whether Bush practices will have no effect on if he'll play Sunday, Sept. 22. 'I think it's a lot further than I expected and it feels a lot better than I thought it was going to feel. So I'm just happy where it is right now. Today was a very positive day and we'll see what happens tomorrow,' Bush said

Bush is back to practice on Friday. I think Bell is still a good play, albeit not a 25-touch monster like he could have been.

Bush is back to practice on Friday. I think Bell is still a good play, albeit not a 25-touch monster like he could have been.
So for those of us fortunate enough to own both, who do you start? I'm rolling with Bell due to too many unknowns with bush.

Detroit Lions RB Reggie Bush (knee) is optimistic about playing in Week 3 against the Washington Redskins and plans to return to practice Friday, Sept. 20. Head coach Jim Schwartz said whether Bush practices will have no effect on if he'll play Sunday, Sept. 22. 'I think it's a lot further than I expected and it feels a lot better than I thought it was going to feel. So I'm just happy where it is right now. Today was a very positive day and we'll see what happens tomorrow,' Bush said
Woah.. Wait!!!! Practicing plays no role on whether he will play Sunday? That is either a complete BS statement. Or, Bush is hurt enough where coach is definitely planning to sit him so he can fully recover without reinjury. You may let a guy practice, under limited circumstances, and have no intention of playing them.

I think this means "sit Bush" and start Bell this week.

Woah.. Wait!!!! Practicing plays no role on whether he will play Sunday? That is either a complete BS statement. Or, Bush is hurt enough where coach is definitely planning to sit him so he can fully recover without reinjury. You may let a guy practice, under limited circumstances, and have no intention of playing them.

I bet Bush's practice was riding a stationary bike for 5 minutes so they could say he "participated" in practice today... so the defense has to prep for him. No way he plays this week. I'm riding Joique in three leagues, over several other decent options.

I bet Bush's practice was riding a stationary bike for 5 minutes so they could say he "participated" in practice today... so the defense has to prep for him. No way he plays this week. I'm riding Joique in three leagues, over several other decent options.
not according to local news radio reports.

Although Reggie Bush (knee) returned to Lions practice Friday, he shared first-team reps with Joique Bell.
Bush is tentatively expected to start against the Redskins, but could be on a bit of a "pitch count" with similarly effective Bell rotating in. Since Washington ranks dead last in the league in run defense, both Bush and Bell could emerge from Sunday's game as viable fantasy starts. Consider Bell more of a flex option with some upside in the event Bush reinjures his banged-up knee.

Although Reggie Bush (knee) returned to Lions practice Friday, he shared first-team reps with Joique Bell.
Bush is tentatively expected to start against the Redskins, but could be on a bit of a "pitch count" with similarly effective Bell rotating in. Since Washington ranks dead last in the league in run defense, both Bush and Bell could emerge from Sunday's game as viable fantasy starts. Consider Bell more of a flex option with some upside in the event Bush reinjures his banged-up knee.
I don't care what they say to the media... Bush was banged-up pretty good and they will beat WAS easily. They're not going to stress Bush unnecessarily.... I'm riding Joique over Ridley and TRich.

I don't care what they say to the media... Bush was banged-up pretty good and they will beat WAS easily. They're not going to stress Bush unnecessarily.... I'm riding Joique over Ridley and TRich.
you are right, about everything except beatin washington easliy. this is the lions here

Might want to tell Vegas that.

The Lions have lost, I believe, 18 games in a row at Washington, and historically struggle in road games outside, but they are gonna beat Washington easily? Hahahaha, okay.

you are right, about everything except beatin washington easliy. this is the lions here
Agreed. The Redskins have more than enough talent to turn this season around and Detroit seems to have holes in their secondary and their offensive line.

I don't care if the Lions win or lose. That Redskin defensive front can be run on. Bell is a must start this weekend, no matter if Bush suits up or not.

look, the Lions are 1-1 and far from a dominant team. They are going on the road. I don't care who they are playing, they are not going to take any team lightly.

Bush > Bell. If they deem him healthy enough to play at a high level, and not at significant risk for re-injury, then he will play. They are a better team with him in there. Look at what happened when he went out of the game last week. Sure, Bell compiled some stats, but he doesn't strike fear the way Bush does. After a huge first half, Calvin Johnson was limited in the second half as the defense sat back and only had to devote attention to one play maker. The offense as a whole sputtered greatly.They have have no real TE presence and no WR2. As great as he is, it can't be only Calvin.

This is not to take anything away from Bell, but I'll say it again Bush > Bell and it's not as close as I feel some people make it out to be.

As a Joique Bell owner, I actually want Bush to suit up and play. I think he adds another dimension to that offense and really helps open things up to go downfield. And that maximizes the red zone opportunities and scoring chances. Bell is the beneficiary of that dynamic that Bush brings between the twenties and can get some goal line looks because of it. I'm starting Bell with more confidence if Bush is playing (in a limited role).

I'm considering starting both bush and bell in ppr after a solid day from McCoy. Could see 10 receptions, 200 yards from scrimmage and a couple TDs between the two. Picking one seems risky this week

Agreed. The Redskins have more than enough talent to turn this season around and Detroit seems to have holes in their secondary and their offensive line.
Okay.

The Redskins have scored a grand total of 3 points when defenses weren't in Prevent, so far this season. Not only is the offense stagnant, but the defense has been a total sieve. The Packers could have put 60 on them if they were trying to run up the score.

Maybe it'll be closer than we think... Vegas is always on the ball. I'm not seeing how you don't start Bell, though.... Bush is clearly not 100% and Joique has been getting numbers even when playing limited snaps... this week he has the potential to get 50%+ of the carries against the current worst defense in the league. How do you not start him?

I don't care if the Lions win or lose. That Redskin defensive front can be run on. Bell is a must start this weekend, no matter if Bush suits up or not.
I never said to sit Bell. I just think people are reading too much into two games. The Eagles are running the ball like crazy this season and I get the feeling that Green Bay will make plenty of defenses look silly this season.

I would start Bell with confidence, but I don't think this is the historically bad Redskins defense that many people are hoping it will be.

Okay.

The Redskins have scored a grand total of 3 points when defenses weren't in Prevent, so far this season. Not only is the offense stagnant, but the defense has been a total sieve. The Packers could have put 60 on them if they were trying to run up the score.

Maybe it'll be closer than we think... Vegas is always on the ball. I'm not seeing how you don't start Bell, though.... Bush is clearly not 100% and Joique has been getting numbers even when playing limited snaps... this week he has the potential to get 50%+ of the carries against the current worst defense in the league. How do you not start him?
My link

Via Rotoworld

A league source tells Profootballtalk.com the Lions may hold Reggie Bush (knee) out of Week 3 as a precaution.
Per PFT's Mike Florio, "the scales could tilt toward shutting him down" against the Redskins because the Lions want Bush "available for the long haul," and are "inclined to give him a week off to heal." Florio reports the final decision may not be made until pre-game warmups, so it's going to come down to a game-time decision. If Bush is held out against the Redskins, Joique Bell could post legit RB1 numbers against Washington's swiss-cheese defense.
:banned:

If Bush is inactive on Sunday, would you start Joique over any other legit RB1? I'm considering Bell over Spiller. I'm down to the McCoy owner.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bell over Spiller seems like a case of over thinking your decisions.
I don't think Bell over Spiller is all that crazy if Bush sits. The Jets have been stubborn against the run and Spiller is a timeshare with Jackson. If Starks can shred the Skins I wouldn't bet against Bell lighting them up either.

Bell over Spiller seems like a case of over thinking your decisions.
I don't think Bell over Spiller is all that crazy if Bush sits. The Jets have been stubborn against the run and Spiller is a timeshare with Jackson.
Agreed. Valuations shift rapidly in FF, especially when you're talking about a one week start/sit decision where the matchups are factored in heavily.

So you're telling me that if Bell were named the starter for the rest of the season and you had a fantasy draft today Bell would be a first round pick?

So you're telling me that if Bell were named the starter for the rest of the season and you had a fantasy draft today Bell would be a first round pick?
There really is a lot to like about Bell. It's rare that you'll find a solid downhill runner with good hands. In PPR, he'd be a late first rounder IMO.

I mean, he definitely has a three-down back skill set.

There really is a lot to like about Bell. It's rare that you'll find a solid downhill runner with good hands. In PPR, he'd be a late first rounder IMO.

I mean, he definitely has a three-down back skill set.
The biggest thing to like about him is his situation- there's nothing "rare" about his talent.

Users who are viewing this thread