What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Joique Bell (1 Viewer)

So you're telling me that if Bell were named the starter for the rest of the season and you had a fantasy draft today Bell would be a first round pick?
There really is a lot to like about Bell. It's rare that you'll find a solid downhill runner with good hands. In PPR, he'd be a late first rounder IMO.

I mean, he definitely has a three-down back skill set.
his hands aint that good, he had several drops last week

So you're telling me that if Bell were named the starter for the rest of the season and you had a fantasy draft today Bell would be a first round pick?
There really is a lot to like about Bell. It's rare that you'll find a solid downhill runner with good hands. In PPR, he'd be a late first rounder IMO.

he had 52 receptions last year.

he can catch the ball.

everyone has drops

I'd imagine a flip of ADP between Spiller and say Matt Forte.
Does that mean you would draft Bell over Spiller?
In a hypothetical of Bush decides football is not his calling, joins a group of monks, and retires to Tibet to never be seen again? Sure. Both those guys would fall to the second round knowing what we know now about Spiller. So one guy is on an average-at-best offense with a rookie quarterback that sees a 50/50 split between him and a capable backup who not only vultures touchdowns, but even takes away recpetions, or a guy who is on a high powered offense who can catch the ball on a pass happy team that plays a minimum of 8 games in a dome.

Yeah, I would take Bell over Spiller. Not by much, but I would pull the trigger on that.

Last edited by a moderator:

The biggest thing to like about him is his situation- there's nothing "rare" about his talent.
Situation is only part of the equation. "Rare" is rather subjective here, as it's even rare to occupy the back-up RB job in the NFL but I wholeheartedly believe he has starter potential. Stats aside, he passes the eyeball test with flying colors. It becomes all the more obvious when you compare him to a true middling talent like Leshoure.

Â

Yes, that's exactly what he said.Â
Answer the question.
How is your question pertinent to the discussion of who to start THIS WEEK? The guy clearly said he was talking week-to-week value. If Bell got to face the Skins D every week then, yes, I'd take him in the 1st round. I wouldn't if we were redrafting for the real schedule though.

Â

Yes, that's exactly what he said.Â
Answer the question.
How is your question pertinent to the discussion of who to start THIS WEEK? The guy clearly said he was talking week-to-week value. If Bell got to face the Skins D every week then, yes, I'd take him in the 1st round. I wouldn't if we were redrafting for the real schedule though.
Thank you. I don't see how starting Bell this week over Spiller equates to drafting Bell first in a hypothetical redraft today. The two questions are very different.

The biggest thing to like about him is his situation- there's nothing "rare" about his talent.
Situation is only part of the equation. "Rare" is rather subjective here, as it's even rare to occupy the back-up RB job in the NFL but I wholeheartedly believe he has starter potential. Stats aside, he passes the eyeball test with flying colors. It becomes all the more obvious when you compare him to a true middling talent like Leshoure.
Rare is actually pretty easily defined, and Bell is not. Having "starter potential" is a far cry from having rare talent, as is comparing him to LeShoure.

Situation is by far the biggest part of the equation here. Bell isn't that good.

Tons of overanalysis going on in here.

You would think the Skins were a historically bad defense and the Lions were a historically potent offense for RBs.

Over the first two weeks of the season Washington faced the best running offense and simply the best offense in the NFL and there is nothing to suggest either of those things are a fluke. I am not sure Washington, who has a whole lot of talent on both sides of the ball, is as bad as all that based upon who they have faced and what we have seen.

I understand the argument to start Bell over a guy like Spiller but Spiller is undeniably a rare talent for guys like him the matchup really doesn't matter. IMO you don't bench a rare talent for an unknown, particularly when the rare talent is going up against an average, at best, defense. Come on, it's the Jets. Their offense if pathetic, Buffalo will be in this game and even if they weren't Spiller is an excellent pass catcher. Spiller is one of those guys who has a significantly higher probability than the vast majority of RBs (including Joique Bell) of breaking off that one play that makes your entire week.

I like Bell, I think he can be a solid producer in Detroit, heck I am starting him this week, but my other options are BenJarvus, Snelling and Eddie Lacy. Of course Bell could out produce Spiller, but to start him over Spiller? That's just crazy talk.

Of course Bell could out produce Spiller, but to start him over Spiller? That's just crazy talk.
I think the trending opinion is that Bell will be "the guy" this week due to Bush's injury, and Spiller is splitting carries with Fred Jackson. And if Buffalo is up in the second half, pounding the ground attack, that's seems more like Fred's job.

Of course Bell could out produce Spiller, but to start him over Spiller? That's just crazy talk.
I think the trending opinion is that Bell will be "the guy" this week due to Bush's injury, and Spiller is splitting carries with Fred Jackson. And if Buffalo is up in the second half, pounding the ground attack, that's seems more like Fred's job.
Why are people so worried about Fred Jackson? Spiller touched the ball 22 times against New England and 20 times vs Carolina. So long as he is getting 21 touches/game who cares how many touches Fred Jackson gets?

You've got an almost guarantee of 21 touches for CJ freaking Spiller (an unquestionably rare talent) vs a complete unknown regarding talent and touches in Bell (and that holds even presuming Bush is out). Not sure how this is even close.

Soulfly3 said:
bicycle_seat_sniffer said:
SameSongNDance said:
Chaka said:

he can catch the ball.

everyone has drops
I'm confused as to how he can't catch either. He had those 52 catches in limited time last year too.

I'm starting bell over Chris Johnson or sproles in PPR. I'm think even spiller but I know I won't be able to get myself to do it

Soulfly3 said:
bicycle_seat_sniffer said:
SameSongNDance said:
Chaka said:

he can catch the ball.

everyone has drops
I'm confused as to how he can't catch either. He had those 52 catches in limited time last year too.
Just to drive the point home, his 52 receptions came on 68 targets.

76%

And ya, I know they're not WR type catches.. but for ####s n giggles,

Foster: 40 rec on 58 targets = 69%

McCOy: 54 on 67 = 81%

So... ya

WilsonTheVolleyball said:
Chaka said:
WilsonTheVolleyball said:
I'd imagine a flip of ADP between Spiller and say Matt Forte.
Does that mean you would draft Bell over Spiller?
In a hypothetical of Bush decides football is not his calling, joins a group of monks, and retires to Tibet to never be seen again? Sure. Both those guys would fall to the second round knowing what we know now about Spiller. So one guy is on an average-at-best offense with a rookie quarterback that sees a 50/50 split between him and a capable backup who not only vultures touchdowns, but even takes away recpetions, or a guy who is on a high powered offense who can catch the ball on a pass happy team that plays a minimum of 8 games in a dome.

Yeah, I would take Bell over Spiller. Not by much, but I would pull the trigger on that.
Good hypothetical story :lol:

I like what I have seen from Bell and this week in particular he looks like a good start. Even if Bush does play, he is likely to be on a snap count.

Chaka, I don't think it's fair to say the Bell is an unknown talent. He's looked pretty good this year and played enough last year to show he's talented enough to make plays. He's not Spiller but he's not unknown either.

Reports on the radio this morning that Bush has experienced swelling in his knee and will not suit up. Bell and Riddick (not Leshoure which is interseting) will be #1 and #2.

Source: 97.1 the ticket (Detroit sports talk radio)

Reports on the radio this morning that Bush has experienced swelling in his knee and will not suit up. Bell and Riddick (not Leshoure which is interseting) will be #1 and #2.

Source: 97.1 the ticket (Detroit sports talk radio)
I like that better as a bell owner because there would be a chance leshoure vultures a td since he lady that role last year.

Who cares about the lions? If they're trailing they're throwing and bell will be a lock to catch 5 balls to go with a halfway decent rushing total

i am really thinking of sitting forte and playing bell in ppr.I know may sound crazy but the bears are horrible on night games especially away.pitts needs a win and may shut down forte.

i am really thinking of sitting forte and playing bell in ppr.I know may sound crazy but the bears are horrible on night games especially away.pitts needs a win and may shut down forte.
I wouldn't do that. Forte has been great so far this year. Who else do you have at RB.. You must be stacked..

Starting Bell as my Flex over Gordon, Shorts, DWill. .5/1.0/1.5 PPR. I was starting him even with Bush playing-I think he has a RB2 with upside day. With Bush out the sky is the limit.

The situation is to good to be true ... expecting a flop from Bell.
I've been feeling the same way. The Skins run D is not nearly as bad as it played the first 2 weeks and they have said the focus all week is on getting back to basics and stopping the run.

Bell should get his in the passing game, and the Lions will move the ball so he should get an opportunity to find the endzone. I will likely play him as my flex over Starks and Mendenhall but I think those expecting RB1 numbers are going to be disappointed.

We shall see.

Reggie Bush (knee) is inactive for Sunday's Week 3 game against the Redskins, and Joique Bell will start at running back.

Per rotoworld of course...

Yeah, Forte is very safe. High floor. I'm a Spiller and Forte owner and Forte is absolutely in. Spiller is the one I'm probably going to bench this week for Joique.

Well, this is what I drafted him for. Should give us a better picture of what he could do as a full time starter.

Chaka, I don't think it's fair to say the Bell is an unknown talent. He's looked pretty good this year and played enough last year to show he's talented enough to make plays. He's not Spiller but he's not unknown either.
I like the way he has looked too and I think he could be very good in this offense, I just think it is a mistake to start him over Spiller. Bell hasn't flashed anything like Spiller's talent.

I like the way he has looked too and I think he could be very good in this offense, I just think it is a mistake to start him over Spiller. Bell hasn't flashed anything like Spiller's talent.
Talent times opportunity. Spillers talent is greater than Bell's. Won't argue that. But Bell's opportunity is far greater this week than Spillers. Plus Spiller usually has trouble with the Jets. Granted, this is a new offensive scheme that Rex hasn't coached against yet, but the Jets usually shut Spiller down.

Users who are viewing this thread