What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jon Gruden Used Racial Trope to Describe NFLPA Chief DeMaurice Smith in 2011 Email (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Faust

MVP
The Wall Street Journal reports Raiders coach Jon Gruden sent an email that used a racist trope to describe NFLPA executive director DeMaurice Smith during the 2011 lockout.

The Wall Street Journal reports Gruden wrote "Dumboriss Smith has lips the size of michellin tires" in his sent email during the height of the 2011 NFL lockout. Gruden, who recently apologized, said he was upset with how Smith was handling the CBA talks at the time, reaffirming to the WSJ that he "used a horrible way of explaining it." The NFL has since released an empty statement on the matter, stating the league "condemns the statement and regret any harm that its publication may inflict on Mr. Smith or anyone else.” The league is also reportedly sharing emails pertaining to Gruden with the Raiders while a person familiar with the matter, per WSJ Sports, said the NFL is currently discussing Gruden's status with the club. This story is far from over.

SOURCE: Andrew Beaton on Twitter

Oct 8, 2021, 5:00 PM ET

I feel like this will end up in the political forum.

I'm not a Gruden fan. Think he's an arrogant jerk but we have to stop selectively going through people's history of things they said to try to end their careers. Especially when it's only applied when there's a vendetta against someone. 

Oh for f's sake, this non-story didn't need its own thread.  He said something weird and vaguely racial years ago in a work email, he's going to have to say he's sorry to everyone, and in a week nobody will remember this even happened.

I swear they're going to tar and feather him just because I've decided this is a nothing.

Ridiculous. Not racist at all but he'll be canceled by this and lose his job because 2020. Whatever 
I think it's definitely racist.  Saying a black person is not only too dumb for the job position but that their black lips are the size of car tires sounds racist to me.  Not saying he should be "cancelled", but like to call it "consequences" instead.  He needed a better apology and I can see the consequences of a fine or other discipline.  Up to the team owner if he needs to be fired or not.

I think it's definitely racist.  Saying a black person is not only too dumb for the job position but that their black lips are the size of car tires sounds racist to me.  Not saying he should be "cancelled", but like to call it "consequences" instead.  He needed a better apology and I can see the consequences of a fine or other discipline.  Up to the team owner if he needs to be fired or not.
Hes not saying "a black person" is dumb and has big lips. He's saying DeMaurice Smith was dumb and had big lips.

I mean it wasn't nice to personally insult the guy but now it's gotten to the point where of someone insults a black person that automatically makes them a racist.

Hes not saying "a black person" is dumb and has big lips. He's saying DeMaurice Smith was dumb and had big lips.

I mean it wasn't nice to personally insult the guy but now it's gotten to the point where of someone insults a black person that automatically makes them a racist.
What color is DeMaurice Smith?  When he's saying DeMaurice Smith is too dumb for the job and saying his lips are the size of car tires he's using these racist stereotypes to insult a black person.  Insulting a black person isn't inherently racist.  Using racist stereotypes to do so is.

I feel like this will end up in the political forum.

I'm not a Gruden fan. Think he's an arrogant jerk but we have to stop selectively going through people's history of things they said to try to end their careers. Especially when it's only applied when there's a vendetta against someone. 

I agree the thing on these things is there's always an agenda with them. There's never a good reason for doing so other then being spiteful. The worst is when people dig up stuff from 10-15 yrs ago. People can change ya know in that time frame. I know some of my views and the way I act is different then when I was 23 or even 20 then 33 now. It's so out of hand now they are eating their own as well. 

Like seriously do people have that much time of their hands during the day? Go get a job or hobby if you have that much time. 

Can't even constructively criticism black athletes without being called racist by some anymore either. Go to card when they lose an argument. I think what Grudden said is "mildly racist" but if we are gonna look for racism in everything we aren't gonna solve the real racial issues and becomes the Sheppard crying wolf too many times. 

I thought Meyer had it in the bag to be the first head coach fired this year but perhaps others want to try and close the gap before we even make the turn for home. 

I agree with a lot of the posts already so i'll just let those stand on their own and not push this further. 

There will be at some point news on this that relates to the NFL. Until then, I"m tired of deleting posts. Take it to another forum if you can't keep it on NFL. 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread