What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Joseph Randle cut and suspended for four games (4 Viewers)

He looks stoned https://www.tmz.com/2014/10/14/dallas-cowboys-rb-stole-gucci-guilty-black-cologne-cops-say/

Dallas Cowboys running back Joseph Randle stole a tester bottle of Gucci Guilty Black cologne from a Dillard's department store Monday night ... TMZ Sports has learned.

Randle -- who's making nearly $500k this year -- was arrested for shoplifting ... and our sources say he's accused of boosting the cologne AND a 2-pack of black Polo underwear.

We're told store security footage captured the whole thing.

Randle was released from custody early Tuesday morning.

Just one night before the arrest, Randle rushed for 52 yards in a dramatic victory over the Seattle Seahawks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Makes Ryan Williams a sneaky add in deep leagues. Randle is a fringe talent.
This arrest is stupid and doesn't help him, but Randle definitely passed the eye test in limited work against Sea.
OL
It was more than that. Very limited sample size, but he looked like the better back on his few carries. The dirty work is vital, so I'm not suggesting Randle is on Murray's level, by any means. Especially as Murray was going on 5 weeks as a workhorse, while Randle was holding his helmet. But he looked good despite the OL, and even covered for the OL on at least one play, getting caught in the backfield but turning it into a +.

I think you're right to suggest that Randle is a fringe talent. But look at the number of fringe talents who have been fantasy relevant at the RB spot over the last few years. Randle wouldn't get the carries that Murray is, should Murray go down, but he'd be weekly RB2 during the stretch, at least.

I think you're right to suggest that Randle is a fringe talent. But look at the number of fringe talents who have been fantasy relevant from the RB spot over the last couple years. Randle wouldn't get the carries that Murray is, should Murray go down, but he'd be weekly RB2 during the stretch, at least.
I agree with you about Randle's short term upside, and I'm all about backloading rosters with Randle types, but that which makes Randle relevant (cheap but high short term upside) also makes him disposable (chance Cowboys will not play him this year because it is a mark on the brand). Ryan Williams looked good in the preseason and could also be a "weekly RB2 during the stretch, at least," if his number is called. I am all about searching out these sort of stretch run high upside RB plays, which is, you know, why I'm pointing out Ryan Williams here, as he's unowned in a lot of my deeper leagues (7 of 10) and he offers similar upside if the team decides Randle should take a CJ Anderson style timeout. I am not suggesting drop Randle for Williams but saying if you have space in a deep league add Williams now and decide later.

I agree with you about Randle's short term upside, and I'm all about backloading rosters with Randle types, but that which makes Randle relevant (cheap but high short term upside) also makes him disposable (chance Cowboys will not play him this year because it is a mark on the brand). Ryan Williams looked good in the preseason and could also be a "weekly RB2 during the stretch, at least," if his number is called. I am all about searching out these sort of stretch run high upside RB plays, which is, you know, why I'm pointing out Ryan Williams here, as he's unowned in a lot of my deeper leagues (7 of 10) and he offers similar upside if the team decides Randle should take a CJ Anderson style timeout. I am not suggesting drop Randle for Williams but saying if you have space in a deep league add Williams now and decide later.
I agree with that.

Isn't the question how will the Cowboys and the league handle this? Could he be suspended? Cut? Hard to fathom getting cut but any infraction in todays NFL climate... let's just say the timing for this is poor to say the least.

seems like Dillard's overreacted a bit, most likely he because he is a black man. Calling the cops because he swiped a sample of perfume and a couple of pairs of drawers?

Free publicity for Gucci Guilty, and a whole lot of irony as well.

seems like Dillard's overreacted a bit, most likely he because he is a black man. Calling the cops because he swiped a sample of perfume and a couple of pairs of drawers?
What were they supposed to do?
Have him pay for the stuff and not call the police. It happens all the time.
Unless I'm missing something, I thought he had already left. The story says he was caught by the security camera. They couldn't make him pay unless they knew how to contact him directly...

Never happened in the retail stores I worked at. Why would they do that? What is the penalty/disincentive to a thief if all they are required to do is pay for stuff if they get caught?

It does? So this should be a store's policy? If people shoplift items and get caught, just make them pay for the items? Conversely, if they do not get caught, they get to keep the items? How does that serve as a deterrent for shoplifting? I have no idea why Joseph Randle took items without paying, if in fact he did. Perhaps he likes the thrill; perhaps he didn't wish to be bothered with waiting to check out. Unless it was merely an innocent mistake, however, I disagree that simply having him pay for the items after the fact is a good policy.

It does? So this should be a store's policy? If people shoplift items and get caught, just make them pay for the items? Conversely, if they do not get caught, they get to keep the items? How does that serve as a deterrent for shoplifting? I have no idea why Joseph Randle took items without paying, if in fact he did. Perhaps he likes the thrill; perhaps he didn't wish to be bothered with waiting to check out. Unless it was merely an innocent mistake, however, I disagree that simply having him pay for the items after the fact is a good policy.
I'm not saying I agree with it I just know that it happens all the time, at least in my area, specifically when the shoplifted items in question total so little.

Completely agree. Also, there's no way this is an innocent mistake. He stole a cologne sample bottle...there's no way of justifying that. If it was just boxers or other items that were for sale he might be able to play the "oops forgot I had those in my hand" card in court.

This arrest is stupid and doesn't help him, but Randle definitely passed the eye test in limited work against Sea.
OL
It was more than that. Very limited sample size, but he looked like the better back on his few carries. The dirty work is vital, so I'm not suggesting Randle is on Murray's level, by any means. Especially as Murray was going on 5 weeks as a workhorse, while Randle was holding his helmet. But he looked good despite the OL, and even covered for the OL on at least one play, getting caught in the backfield but turning it into a +.

I think you're right to suggest that Randle is a fringe talent. But look at the number of fringe talents who have been fantasy relevant at the RB spot over the last few years. Randle wouldn't get the carries that Murray is, should Murray go down, but he'd be weekly RB2 during the stretch, at least.
I don't know if anyone knows how good he could be.

But wouldn't you/others consider him the No. 1 lottery ticket going and the no. 1 needed handcuff at this point? I don't know if people consciously consider him a Gerhart to Peterson handcuff at this point but given the situation he's there and Murray has more carries with a greater injury history (per season) than AP.

OL

I don't know if anyone knows how good he could be.

But wouldn't you/others consider him the No. 1 lottery ticket going and the no. 1 needed handcuff at this point? I don't know if people consciously consider him a Gerhart to Peterson handcuff at this point but given the situation he's there and Murray has more carries with a greater injury history (per season) than AP.
It was clear to me that he was an elite handcuff before the incident given DAL's OL, Murray's injury history and how effective he's been on his limited touches. I don't think it was really arguable. Now, I'm not sure. Will he be punished?

Completely agree. Also, there's no way this is an innocent mistake. He stole a cologne sample bottle...there's no way of justifying that. If it was just boxers or other items that were for sale he might be able to play the "oops forgot I had those in my hand" card in court.
Sounds like you're right:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/police-cowboys-rb-randle-arrested-theft-charge-154635785--nfl.html

DALLAS (AP) -- Cowboys running back Joseph Randle has been arrested on a shoplifting charge, accused of taking $123 worth of cologne and underwear from a suburban Dallas department store and telling a police officer he thought to himself, ''all right, y'all got me,'' after a security guard stopped him.

Randle, who is charged with a Class B misdemeanor theft between $50 and $500, was detained Monday evening by store security and later taken to the Frisco city jail before posting bond early Tuesday, police Sgt. Brad Merritt said.

The arrest came a day after one of Randle's best games since joining Dallas as a fifth-round draft pick out of Oklahoma State last season. He had a 38-yard run and a key tackle on a kickoff in a 30-23 victory at Super Bowl champion Seattle.

According to an arrest report, Randle was caught on video placing items later identified as a ''tester'' bottle of Gucci Guilty Black cologne and a two-pack of Polo underwear into a Dillard's bag after making a purchase at the store at Stonebriar Centre, about 30 miles north of Dallas. The 22-year-old Randle was stopped by a security guard in the parking lot and later told a police officer that when he saw the ''old guy,'' referring to the security guard, he thought to himself, ''All right, y'all got me.''

After getting stopped by security, Randle returned to the store and the items were recovered. The cost of the items was $123.50 before sales tax. Randle is in the second year of a four-year, $2.3 million rookie contract with a base salary of $495,000 this season.

He finished with 52 yards rushing on five carries against the Seahawks and has 113 yards on 16 carries for the season as the backup to NFL rushing leader DeMarco Murray. Randle had 164 yards rushing and two touchdowns as a rookie last year.

The Cowboys did not respond to a request for comment.
I have Murray and placed a claim on Randle in my waivers for tonight. Going to move his priority down some now...

The Dallas Morning News reports the Cowboys aren't planning to suspend RB Joseph Randle for his shoplifting arrest.
Per reporter Brandon George, Randle will be fined between $10,000-$30,000. The underwear and cologne Randle was trying to lift from his local Dillard's just got a lot more expensive.

Randle -- who's making nearly $500k this year -- was arrested for shoplifting ... and our sources say he's accused of boosting the cologne AND a 2-pack of black Polo underwear.
Something about the description of events smells. Seems like it was a brief incident.

ConnSKINS26 said:
This guy isn't even any good, just cut him and activate Ryan Williams from the practice squad.
Ryan Williams is horrible. Just stop people, the guy has done nothing since 2009 at VT.

He gets arrested for stealing underwear and cologne, bashes some of his current teammates, gets out of jail and gets an endorsement deal, then goes to practice and starts a fight with the player he trashed on the arrest video who happen to be worth a lot more than him.

Just wanted to make sure I had my facts straight. If this happened to anyone of us, we would be lucky to ever find work again or get out alive. It is Texas after all. But he keeps his job and gets an endorsement deal.

He gets arrested for stealing underwear and cologne, bashes some of his current teammates, gets out of jail and gets an endorsement deal, then goes to practice and starts a fight with the player he trashed on the arrest video who happen to be worth a lot more than him.

Just wanted to make sure I had my facts straight. If this happened to anyone of us, we would be lucky to ever find work again or get out alive. It is Texas after all. But he keeps his job and gets an endorsement deal.
You forgot the part where he offered the female officer $100 for a massage.

As a Murray owner, I snagged Randle weeks ago and now wonder if they may simply cut him or play Dunbar should Demarco go down. I, like others, have Randle on my roster and think he'd do extremely well in Murray's absence, but this complicates things. Dunbar is clearly not a lead back and I just can't buy Williams being a viable option

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/story/_/id/11802147/dallas-cowboys-jason-garrett-talks-dez-bryant-joseph-randle-disagreement?ex_cid=Twitter_espn_11802147

Concerned about team chemistry after a loud verbal disagreement between Dez Bryant and Joseph Randle carried over onto the practice field Friday, Dallas Cowboys coach Jason Garrett met individually with those two players and an equally incensed Josh Brent later that day and then discussed the subject with the entire team on Saturday, according to league sources.

The meeting was described as tense, and Garrett seriously considered whether Randle's continued presence on the team might be an impediment to harmony in the locker room.

When asked if Randle would play on Sunday against the Cardinals and remain part of the team, one source answered, "Randle is staying for now."

Randle is the backup to NFL rushing leader DeMarco Murray and his role has increased in recent weeks as the Cowboys attempt to avoid overworking Murray.

Bryant and Brent were furious about Randle mentioning their legal problems to Frisco police as he was being booked into jail for shoplifting charges. The tape has since become public, revealing to the players what Randle said about them while he expressed to the police concerns the Cowboys might suspend him.

While he may avoid further punishment from the team, Randle apparently has been ostracized by some teammates. The Cowboys fined Randle the equivalent of a game check for the shoplifting arrest.

The Cowboys have Lance Dunbar and veteran Ryan Williams (practice squad) on the roster at running back.

I have held this guy for weeks and have to say that it looks like it may have been a waste. You cant teach stupid

As a Murray owner, I have to say I'm enjoying this. Randle has been stealing some carries. They don't have anyone who can step in and take those carries from Murray if Randle is cut.

Run Demarco run.

Users who are viewing this thread