What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Josh McDaniels (1 Viewer)

bronco fan

Footballguy
Josh McDaniels proves over and over again that he just doesn't know what he is doing, and is woefully in-experienced for the job he as been tasked with. Let's take a look at the decisions he has made since Bowlen made him one of the youngest head coaches in league history:

1) He lied to Cutler about his interest in Cassel and never came clean with an apology to him or the city of Denver. As a result we lost our franchise quarterback.

2) He drafted Moreno over Orakpo, even though his team's most pressing need was for defensive front seven players and he had previous to the 2009 draft signed every free agent running back with a pulse.

3) To make up for not taking Orakpo, he drafts Robert Ayers instead of any of the linebacker's that were available to him.

4) He trades a 2010 number one draft choice for a 2009 second round choice that he uses on Alphonso Smith. So far, Smith can't even get on the field as a nickel cornerback. (BTW that trade cost us our chance at Pouncey in the draft last night.)

5) He trades two 2009 third round picks for the last pick in the second round and selects Richard Quinn, a tight end who caught 12 passes in his entire college career. McDaniels already had one of the premier blocking tight ends on his roster in Daniel Graham.

6) He suspends Brandon Marshall for the last game of the 2009 season, killing his trade value.

7) Moving on to last night, he trades down twice, accumulating picks, teasing us that he might finally be making some smart decisions...but no.

8) He trades up, losing a 4th round pick, and drafts D. Thomas when Bryant is still on the board. Time will tell on this, but no doubt, Thomas is a project.

9) He trades up again, giving up 2nd, 3rd and 4th round picks to draft Tebow when Clausen is still on the board. Tebow is another project, and to say he is questionable to ever become a franchise quarterback is the understatement of the decade.

10) With these two trades, he gives up almost all of the additional picks he gained by moving back twice earlier in the first round.

After nearly committing suicide watching McDaniels bumble his way through the first round last night, I finally get what he is doing.

He's drafting people, not players. He's more concerned with the character of a person than he is about the talent of a player. This explains many of the moves outlined above: Moreno over Orakpo, trading a future 1st for Smith, Thomas over Bryant, Tebow over Clausen. Moreno, Smith, Thomas and Tebow are all first class individuals without doubt, the kind of guys you would want your daughter to marry. But are they first class players?

I get it that you want good people on your team. Having said that, if those "good" people don't turn out to be "good" players, what was the point?

I've made this point several times about Belichick's proteges and I'll make it again - they have learned the wrong lesson from their master. They appear to think that the secret to Belichick's success was to be a cussed, highly unpredictable, my way or the highway contrarian.

The truth is that the secret to Belichick's success was really that he was a brilliant and highly imaginative coach and the cussed, highly unpredictable, my way or the highway contrarian side was more a drawback than anything else - certainly not the reason for his success.

Tebow while not the polished passer Claussen is ( and I am a ND fan ) is a leader and a role model. If he learns to get better on his accuracy I think he could have a great career. There's more to being a great QB than having great tools -- being a great leader is a lot of it -- and there is no QB coming out that is in Tebows area code in that department.

Maybe he's taking a "win now" approach to building the NFL's Ultimate Bible Study Group.

Hell man. After sitting through draft after draft with the Chiefs making unexplained pick after unexplained pick, i feel your pain.

here's a question: spending a late 1st round pick on Tebow says that McGenius thinks he's easily a starter, but maybe not a franchise QB. So, let's say the Donks have just a horrible year and win 4 games and pick in the top 3. Is there any way that McGenius would burn a pick on a guy like Mallet, Luck, or Locker?

It seems that every interview I have seen with him, the dude doesn't blink...just has that glassy-eyed look.

I've made this point several times about Belichick's proteges and I'll make it again - they have learned the wrong lesson from their master. They appear to think that the secret to Belichick's success was to be a cussed, highly unpredictable, my way or the highway contrarian.

The truth is that the secret to Belichick's success was really that he was a brilliant and highly imaginative coach and the cussed, highly unpredictable, my way or the highway contrarian side was more a drawback than anything else - certainly not the reason for his success.
And the pure luck of landing an amazing QB in the 6th round.
Brady was certainly a fortuitous pick but it takes more than a great QB to win a SB. That can account for one, see Peyton Manning, but to win three takes great coaching and team chemistry.

I appreciate the replies, but let's not hijack the thread. This tread is about McDaniels and not specifically about Tebow.

Thanks.

This. BB is a great coach, but you cant possibly make this point strongly enough. The Patriots had NO IDEA that Brady would be great, or even good, or even average. If they did, they would have drafted him earlier than they did. Obviously they helped develop him, but getting him was pure 100% luck. Add in the fact that he was willing to accept a below market contract for several years longer than he should have and you have the centerpiece for a dynasty.McDaniels has the BB swagger and arrogance without the track record. He thinks he's bigger than the Broncos because BB was bigger than the Pats (minus Brady). But he isnt, and his attitude that his crap doesnt stink has caused him to make some unbelievably stupid moves.

He thinks he's the smartest football man alive. That much is obvious at this point.

It looks like Tebow will get paid well for his charity work in Denver. At least the children will get something out of it.

I've made this point several times about Belichick's proteges and I'll make it again - they have learned the wrong lesson from their master. They appear to think that the secret to Belichick's success was to be a cussed, highly unpredictable, my way or the highway contrarian. The truth is that the secret to Belichick's success was really that he was a brilliant and highly imaginative coach and the cussed, highly unpredictable, my way or the highway contrarian side was more a drawback than anything else - certainly not the reason for his success.
Plus the fact that Tom Brady fell into his lap with the 199th pick did not hurt.

Brady was certainly a fortuitous pick but it takes more than a great QB to win a SB. That can account for one, see Peyton Manning, but to win three takes great coaching and team chemistry.
And good camera men.

Looking in from the outside, I have to admit it looks like a train wreck. That being said, if by 2011 Tebow is on the field at QB and they make the playoffs... McDaniels will, without a doubt, be considered the mad genius.

Lets be honest about Tebow. His skills are being way underhyped. Not being NFL ready, and flat out sucking are two totally different things. He big, fast, determined, and can throw better than some other QB's who have been to the playoffs. You are also talking about a grreat QB coach and one of the most coachable kids to come out of college. Tebow will play QB sooner than later. The only question is what his limits are. We certainly didn't see them at the college level.

I'm really not sure that Tebow's leadership qualities will fly in the NFL, anyhow. He has put himself so out in front for the media and everyone to see that his new teammates, especially the veterans, may just find his act annoying. I certainly do.

Wait. I thought Brady was just a product of the system and was along for the ride during the first couple of SuperBowls. Which is it again?

It doesn't hurt when your franchise QB is making 6th round money for a good share of your 'dynasty'. That frees up a whole lot of cap space to ensure a great defense.

maybe I'm naive but I didn't think daniels had full control like shannahan did, I thought that was why they hired that xanders guy.

He's drafting people, not players. He's more concerned with the character of a person than he is about the talent of a player. This explains many of the moves outlined above: Moreno over Orakpo, trading a future 1st for Smith, Thomas over Bryant, Tebow over Clausen. Moreno, Smith, Thomas and Tebow are all first class individuals without doubt, the kind of guys you would want your daughter to marry. But are they first class players?I get it that you want good people on your team. Having said that, if those "good" people don't turn out to be "good" players, what was the point?
Look at it this way, when they lose, there won't be any #####ing, pissing and moaning in the locker room. They will all be happy and ready to get started with the game plan for the next week. Teblow will cheer them on and rally them. :lmao:

And the real luck that Bledsoe got knocked out.

Does McDaniels make the picks and run the draft or does Xanders? I seriously don't know and was wondering. Definitely a case can be made of the handling of the players on the roster, but is McDaniels making the draft day decisions as well?

Not a doubt in my mind that I'd rather have Mangini over Mcdaniels...

Mangini had some great drafts other than Gholston... In year 1 he gets his Center and LT - THAT is how you do it. Year 2 he nails Revis and David Harris BAM!!! lets ROCK. He built a pretty good team that he handed off to Rex Ryan....

Mcdaniels is a complete disaster in every sense....

I feel sorry for Denver fans - as a Jets fan I've been there plenty but, you just have to count the days till Mcdaniel is gone and hope he hits on a few good pieces to be the core in a few years and doesn't mess up the cap too bad, if / when we get one back.

I've made this point several times about Belichick's proteges and I'll make it again - they have learned the wrong lesson from their master. They appear to think that the secret to Belichick's success was to be a cussed, highly unpredictable, my way or the highway contrarian. The truth is that the secret to Belichick's success was really that he was a brilliant and highly imaginative coach and the cussed, highly unpredictable, my way or the highway contrarian side was more a drawback than anything else - certainly not the reason for his success.
BB biggest reason for his succes was perhaps the greatest rush LB ever - LT. and getting extremely lucky and snagging Tom Brady in round6 and him turning into pure gold.McDaniles is clueless

In every line of work, there are about 10% people who are really, truly gifted at what they do.

There are about 80% people who have no special talent whatsoever, but who study and practice their craft enough that the average armchair shmuck who thinks he'd be better than them is completely off his rocker.

Then there are about 10% people who are so abysmally clueless, that the same armchair shmuck could legitimately replace them tomorrow, and would immediately do the job markedly better, no matter their amount of training.

We've known for years and years that when it comes to building an NFL team, Al Davis was one such person. I think after two offseasons, we can now safely add Josh McD to that list. This man would genuinely be the clueless guy in a room full of general football fans.

Josh McDaniels proves over and over again that he just doesn't know what he is doing, and is woefully in-experienced for the job he as been tasked with. Let's take a look at the decisions he has made since Bowlen made him one of the youngest head coaches in league history:1) He lied to Cutler about his interest in Cassel and never came clean with an apology to him or the city of Denver. As a result we lost our franchise quarterback.2) He drafted Moreno over Orakpo, even though his team's most pressing need was for defensive front seven players and he had previous to the 2009 draft signed every free agent running back with a pulse.3) To make up for not taking Orakpo, he drafts Robert Ayers instead of any of the linebacker's that were available to him.4) He trades a 2010 number one draft choice for a 2009 second round choice that he uses on Alphonso Smith. So far, Smith can't even get on the field as a nickel cornerback. (BTW that trade cost us our chance at Pouncey in the draft last night.)5) He trades two 2009 third round picks for the last pick in the second round and selects Richard Quinn, a tight end who caught 12 passes in his entire college career. McDaniels already had one of the premier blocking tight ends on his roster in Daniel Graham.6) He suspends Brandon Marshall for the last game of the 2009 season, killing his trade value. 7) Moving on to last night, he trades down twice, accumulating picks, teasing us that he might finally be making some smart decisions...but no.8) He trades up, losing a 4th round pick, and drafts D. Thomas when Bryant is still on the board. Time will tell on this, but no doubt, Thomas is a project.9) He trades up again, giving up 2nd, 3rd and 4th round picks to draft Tebow when Clausen is still on the board. Tebow is another project, and to say he is questionable to ever become a franchise quarterback is the understatement of the decade.10) With these two trades, he gives up almost all of the additional picks he gained by moving back twice earlier in the first round.After nearly committing suicide watching McDaniels bumble his way through the first round last night, I finally get what he is doing.He's drafting people, not players. He's more concerned with the character of a person than he is about the talent of a player. This explains many of the moves outlined above: Moreno over Orakpo, trading a future 1st for Smith, Thomas over Bryant, Tebow over Clausen. Moreno, Smith, Thomas and Tebow are all first class individuals without doubt, the kind of guys you would want your daughter to marry. But are they first class players?I get it that you want good people on your team. Having said that, if those "good" people don't turn out to be "good" players, what was the point?
The issue is not specifically the Tebow pick itself. Personally I think he has the potential to develop into a great QB but the odds of this have diminished by going to Denver.Why? Because what the OP does very well is point out the sheer RANDOMNESS in McDaniels' approach. Trading away Cutler and Marshall over two years and then using your two #1 picks for the same positions and for guys that arguably are not as NFL-ready is a bizarre plan. Throw in the trade for Brady Quinn, etc. and it makes no sense what he is trying to build.Part of the reason there is optimism in Detroit is that Mayhew and Schwartz have at least laid out a PLAN and have stuck to that plan in the vast majority of their moves to date. The plan may or may not work but at least it makes sense.The big risk is that McDaniels may be long gone before either of the Broncos' two 1st round picks have a chance to fully develop. Then when the new regime comes along they will inherit players that don't match their system and never reached their potential and therefore will need to be unloaded at a discount. This could set the franchise back several years.

Belichick was incredibly lucky that he was the sperm that made it. Without that, he wouldn't even have ONE Super Bowl ring, let alone many.

I have probably been one of the more vocal McDaniel haters here but I really want to wait until this whole draft unfolds before I judge this year's effort.

That being said, all that was accomplished yesterday was to fill holes that McDaniels created and not address what the team needs. I sound like a broken record, but there are pressing needs for this team and Day 2 and 3 better address these or it is going to be a really long year. With the lockout maybe coming, we could see 3-4 years before this team is even mentioned in a playoff discussion.

What I will guess is going to happen is the countdown to Orton asking to be moved. He has to know that, despite the lies, McDaniels is spreading about him being the #1 QB in Denver, the minute he stumbles even a little, McDaniels is going to want to get Tebow some playing time in an attempt to justify the pick. The person you need to feel bad for is Quinn--he is really the odd man out here.

As much as I don't like McDaniels, I really hope that he knows something that we all don't and this 1st round had yielded a Montana to Rice type connection for many years for this team.

I really look forward to Days 2 and 3 before we can assign a grade to this effort.

I'm really not sure that Tebow's leadership qualities will fly in the NFL, anyhow. He has put himself so out in front for the media and everyone to see that his new teammates, especially the veterans, may just find his act annoying. I certainly do.
Of course you do, because you're a hater.

In every line of work, there are about 10% people who are really, truly gifted at what they do.There are about 80% people who have no special talent whatsoever, but who study and practice their craft enough that the average armchair shmuck who thinks he'd be better than them is completely off his rocker.Then there are about 10% people who are so abysmally clueless, that the same armchair shmuck could legitimately replace them tomorrow, and would immediately do the job markedly better, no matter their amount of training.We've known for years and years that when it comes to building an NFL team, Al Davis was one such person. I think after two offseasons, we can now safely add Josh McD to that list. This man would genuinely be the clueless guy in a room full of general football fans.
That's a really interesting take there. I think I'm with you up till that last 10%.J

In every line of work, there are about 10% people who are really, truly gifted at what they do.There are about 80% people who have no special talent whatsoever, but who study and practice their craft enough that the average armchair shmuck who thinks he'd be better than them is completely off his rocker.Then there are about 10% people who are so abysmally clueless, that the same armchair shmuck could legitimately replace them tomorrow, and would immediately do the job markedly better, no matter their amount of training.We've known for years and years that when it comes to building an NFL team, Al Davis was one such person. I think after two offseasons, we can now safely add Josh McD to that list. This man would genuinely be the clueless guy in a room full of general football fans.
That's a really interesting take there. I think I'm with you up till that last 10%.J
It's always been true in my observation. The bottom 10% of engineers are out there building structures that fail and end up washing cars and bagging groceries. The bottom 10% of salesmen are hanging in the back office surfing youtube. The bottom 10% of US Presidents has done more damage to the country than all the enemies of the state, over the course of history, combined.Do you believe that any competent armchair draftink...do you believe that YOU...had they (or you) been in position to make OAK's draft picks for the last 20 years, would have fared worse than Al Davis has? Punters, kickers, Heyward Bey? You or I would still be one of the worst in the league, sure...and deservedly so, since we haven't put in the hours and miles of professional prep it takes to be fully competent at such a position. But the point is, that this is not substantively different from the positions Al and Josh find themselves in. At least in their roles as team builders. Replace them in that capacity with any of your choice of 100 guys from this message forum, and the results are at LEAST as good.None of it means our likes deserve to be in those positions. Just that the guys who have them REALLY shouldn't be there.

In many ways hes a victim of the media. They have blown his leadership/intangibles/work ethic way out of proportion and he'll never be able to live it down. Anyway, that was one of the worst picks Ive seen in recent memory. He essentially traded Cutler and Marshall for Tebow and Thomas. Its absurd and I feel sorry for Brincos fans who love their team and deserve better.

Brady was certainly a fortuitous pick but it takes more than a great QB to win a SB. That can account for one, see Peyton Manning, but to win three takes great CHEATING.
Fixed.

Not a doubt in my mind that I'd rather have Mangini over Mcdaniels...Mangini had some great drafts other than Gholston... In year 1 he gets his Center and LT - THAT is how you do it. Year 2 he nails Revis and David Harris BAM!!! lets ROCK. He built a pretty good team that he handed off to Rex Ryan....Mcdaniels is a complete disaster in every sense.... I feel sorry for Denver fans - as a Jets fan I've been there plenty but, you just have to count the days till Mcdaniel is gone and hope he hits on a few good pieces to be the core in a few years and doesn't mess up the cap too bad, if / when we get one back.
I agree here. He was an exceptional drafter sans Gholston...and to take it a step further, if he had input on FAs/trades and such, getting Jenkins and Faneca was also very good. Now, with a role model like Holmgren, he is going to learn there is another way to "do it" in regards to the actual coaching and he good be a quality coach for years to come. McDaniels on the other hand, doesn't seem to have the same eye for talent, nor do I think he has someone in Denver to learn from...not a good combo. I liked what they did in the beginning by trading down, just thought it was wasteful to blow such an early pick on Tebow. In regards to Thomas versus Bryant, he couldn't bring in a guy with attitude issues after he just shipped one off, so I think the Thomas pick was fine.

Not a doubt in my mind that I'd rather have Mangini over Mcdaniels...Mangini had some great drafts other than Gholston... In year 1 he gets his Center and LT - THAT is how you do it. Year 2 he nails Revis and David Harris BAM!!! lets ROCK. He built a pretty good team that he handed off to Rex Ryan....Mcdaniels is a complete disaster in every sense.... I feel sorry for Denver fans - as a Jets fan I've been there plenty but, you just have to count the days till Mcdaniel is gone and hope he hits on a few good pieces to be the core in a few years and doesn't mess up the cap too bad, if / when we get one back.
I agree here. He was an exceptional drafter sans Gholston...and to take it a step further, if he had input on FAs/trades and such, getting Jenkins and Faneca was also very good. Now, with a role model like Holmgren, he is going to learn there is another way to "do it" in regards to the actual coaching and he good be a quality coach for years to come. McDaniels on the other hand, doesn't seem to have the same eye for talent, nor do I think he has someone in Denver to learn from...not a good combo. I liked what they did in the beginning by trading down, just thought it was wasteful to blow such an early pick on Tebow. In regards to Thomas versus Bryant, he couldn't bring in a guy with attitude issues after he just shipped one off, so I think the Thomas pick was fine.

6) He suspends Brandon Marshall for the last game of the 2009 season, killing his trade value.
From a distance I agree McDaniel is terrible, but I think he handled Marshall wonderfully. You can be disappointed because Marshall has more talent than 2 Rd 2 picks, but benching Marshall for a game did not affect what they got for him. In fact, McDaniel being able to play Marshall all year and get him to produce at the same high level while he was a cancer in the lockerroom preserved his value. He kept him on the team long enough. He could have easily cut him last summer. A more ego-driven, dictatorial coach would have cut Marshall or paid him to do pushups at home for half a year like TO in Philly. Compare the deal to the Anquan Boldin deal. Consider how much money Miami had to pay to sign Marshall. You hope you get that 1st round RFA compensation, but exactly how many RFAs signed with other teams this year.

Tebow while not the polished passer Claussen is ( and I am a ND fan ) is a leader and a role model.
It's tough to be a leader on the bench.
Obviously. He'll have to play to lead. I would assume they believe he'll play in the next year or so.J
Given that McDaniels has traded away young, franchise quality QB and WR, don't Tebow and Thomas need to start and produce by next year at least? How many years does McDaniels have to play HC? Does anyone think the team is better now than when he inherited it? This year he will be able to say "the team is young but they are high quality guys who are working hard and learning the system," but next year....? If they are still working hard and learning the system next year I can't see how a team would stay with McDaniels another year. He has to at least make the playoffs by next year with this cast of characters.

The way most of you prognosticate, I’m going out and betting the farm that Denver win the Superbowl. Should get pretty good odds about a playoff appearance too.

I have probably been one of the more vocal McDaniel haters here but I really want to wait until this whole draft unfolds before I judge this year's effort.That being said, all that was accomplished yesterday was to fill holes that McDaniels created and not address what the team needs. I sound like a broken record, but there are pressing needs for this team and Day 2 and 3 better address these or it is going to be a really long year. With the lockout maybe coming, we could see 3-4 years before this team is even mentioned in a playoff discussion.What I will guess is going to happen is the countdown to Orton asking to be moved. He has to know that, despite the lies, McDaniels is spreading about him being the #1 QB in Denver, the minute he stumbles even a little, McDaniels is going to want to get Tebow some playing time in an attempt to justify the pick. The person you need to feel bad for is Quinn--he is really the odd man out here. As much as I don't like McDaniels, I really hope that he knows something that we all don't and this 1st round had yielded a Montana to Rice type connection for many years for this team.I really look forward to Days 2 and 3 before we can assign a grade to this effort.
Totally agree about Orton. It will be interesting to see if the team leaks negative information about him to make him into a bad guy at some point, the way it has other players that McD wanted to get rid of. I bet you anything that when they struggle this year Orton, now, will be the scapegoat, and then we will be told that the savior is coming---only give him time....

Last edited by a moderator:
First the draft should be the combination of many people's work. Including Xanders and the scouting staff. That said you would hope that they are on the same page as the head coach as it appears McDaniels is having plenty of influence on the choices.

What I find most puzzling about the Broncos draft are:

1) the trade up to get Thomas doesn't make sense to me. With Dez on the board and the Broncos moving up just 2 spots was there really any reason to trade up. The Broncos rate Thomas higher than Bryant, fine. How much higher? What was the likelyhood that another team was going to trade up an not take Bryant? Would the Broncos have been happy with Bryant + the 4th round pick they gave up. (Please don't bash me as an armchair GM - just posting my thoughts)

2) Why trade for Quinn if you plan to use a 1st or 2nd round pick on a QB. I understand that the draft is dynamic and situations change quickly but it was obviously part of the plan to target Tebow. If that plan fell through wouldn't a viable back up QB still be availbe? Maybe Campbell WAS? Also apparently the Brandstater hype has evaporated after 1 season.

The only positive spin you can put on the draft so far is that the Broncos seem to be doing exactly what they want. The price they've paid to obtain two players they clearly targeted was not that high and they still have a 2nd & 2 3rds.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Cutler and Marshall love around here seems to be more about their fantasy football numbers than their real life as experienced by the head coach and other team members. Both appear to be poison in the locker room.

Does anyone remember this episode from last year?

Marshall The Malcontent at practice

And Cutler hasn't lead a team to a winning season since High School.

I think McDaniel should he allowed to coach for several more years to see if his unconventional wisdom pays off - a winning season is all it would take.

Users who are viewing this thread