What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ju Ju Shuster suspended for cheap shot. (1 Viewer)

I honestly think the only ones talking/thinking about "revenge" and being all  :tinfoilhat: about these types of plays are people in online message boards. I think the player's couldn't care less. 

Revenge? Please. This is a job. Most of these guys don't even like playing football
People talking revenge as if this is a television show or something along those lines. I know sometimes the media builds these rivalries to be something of the equivalent of a man's soap opera, but realistically I think most players are just trying to put on a show and/or get their game check and move on. 
The players defiitely have varying mindsets. Some are just there because they are talented and can make good money. Some are of the Burfict mindset and love the violence of the game. There are likely players all over that spectrum. However, they are human, and seeing someone they care about get hurt from a cheapshot certainly could incite someone to take revenge. Burfict most definitely was coming out to hurt Big Ben after Gio was hurt in that playoff game. They showed him on the sideline after the Gio hit and he was enraged. 

I think that statement it totally incorrect.  I played college hockey and even at that level revenge was talked about and was sweet however long it took.  Players never forget. You see it all the time in MLB as well.  Stuff carried over from the previous seasons.

Antonio Brown said "Karma" about the hit which is basically revenge and he had it coming. Bell probably took Shuster out to dinner. 
Was going to say the same. There is an audio clip making the rounds where Schuster was being interviewed in the locker room afterwards and AB is obviously trying to be heard on the interview very loudly chanting "Karma" over and over again in the background.

Another example was when Andre Johnson beat the #### out of Cortland Finnegan. It wasn't a one time blowup like AJG this year, those two played against each other twice a season and constantly were at each other's throats every matchup.

watching this hit, and comparable hits mentioned here in the thread, i would like to see JuJu get a one game ban, but the Steelers org. be penalized in some regard. The hit seems like a predetermined move and it certainly looked like they were targeting Burfict. if that was another Bengals player, do we think that the same hit is done? I watched the Golden Tate one mentioned, ans some others, and they seemed to be in the flow of the game. this one not as much. 

I know there is a ton of fandom in here, and if the Eagles were in this i would likely side with the Eagles' player every time, but this one seems pretty obvious. these things won't change until they hit the organizations or coaching staff too. League loves to call out every hit Burfict lays out, should be the same to know that teams would target him. If the league wants the teams to police all of this themselves, then we might as well bring enforcers in and just ignore the health implications. 
I don't agree with this at all.  This play is a typical play that always has the WR coming back down to block the LB.  That is his assignment on the play.  The hit was 100% in the flow of the game and a specific assignment for that player on that play.  Football is a collision sport and that is set up for the collision.  Whether it was Burfict or not that block would have occurred.  Now did JuJu take more pleasure in having that be Burfict?  I am sure it was talked about all week in the game plan as a chance to deliver a blow to Burfict.   But the play and block were definitely in the flow of the game.

I think that statement it totally incorrect.  I played college hockey and even at that level revenge was talked about and was sweet however long it took.  Players never forget. You see it all the time in MLB as well.  Stuff carried over from the previous seasons.

Antonio Brown said "Karma" about the hit which is basically revenge and he had it coming. Bell probably took Shuster out to dinner. 
You seem to be conflating revenge with the idea that one reaps what one sows.  Brown shouting karma isn't an indication of revenge, it's an indication that Brown believes Burfict deserves this because of his previous actions.  As would your assumption that Bell took Shuster out to dinner.  Neither of those things are an indication that Shuster hit Burfict as an act of revenge, but that Brown/Bell were OK/happy about the block, because they felt Burfict "deserved" what he got.

I don't agree with this at all.  This play is a typical play that always has the WR coming back down to block the LB.  That is his assignment on the play.  The hit was 100% in the flow of the game and a specific assignment for that player on that play.  Football is a collision sport and that is set up for the collision.  Whether it was Burfict or not that block would have occurred.  Now did JuJu take more pleasure in having that be Burfict?  I am sure it was talked about all week in the game plan as a chance to deliver a blow to Burfict.   But the play and block were definitely in the flow of the game.

Jerry Jones was right. The NFL needs to get out trying to be the police. We now have a player who was suspended for motive, intent and if not totally for that then "oh my god, he stood over him".  Really? All I can say for those of who you think JuJu deserves this be careful what you wish for, precedent has been set and this is not going away. Be prepared for suspensions on the rise, be worried everytime a player on your favorite team or fantasy team lays out a player and looks happy about delivering a big hit. This is where we are, hope you like it.

For the record I am a Steeler fan but before anyone thinks I'm biased Iloka deserves to be suspended about as much as JuJu does, which is not at all.

Guessing you haven't read any articles about the situation. The NFL investigator found the victim to be untrustworthy and found correspondence between her and a friend with her saying she'd get back at him for dumping her and blackmail him. Prior to that she had no injuries, and after that she did. This lead the investigator to recommend no suspension because she didn't believe her version of events.

Could Zeke have beaten her? Yes, it's possible. But it wasn't proven and he wasn't charged.
Yeah, I followed the story. As well as his other stories.  I hope he learns something from this. Not buying for one second that he didn't beat that girl.

You seem to be conflating revenge with the idea that one reaps what one sows.  Brown shouting karma isn't an indication of revenge, it's an indication that Brown believes Burfict deserves this because of his previous actions.  As would your assumption that Bell took Shuster out to dinner.  Neither of those things are an indication that Shuster hit Burfict as an act of revenge, but that Brown/Bell were OK/happy about the block, because they felt Burfict "deserved" what he got.
Pretty much the same thing. There were no Steelers on their knees praying with arms joined when Burfict was laying there.

Last edited by a moderator:
People are trying to look at this in a vacuum. If JuJu did the same thing in a game against the Bears he might not even have gotten fined. But taken in the context of the war waging between the Bengals and Steelers, who received the hit, and the taunting escalates the situation. As I posted earlier, the league and the refs need to reign in the cheap shots, dirty plays, and violent hits between these teams before someone suffers a career ending injury. That's why he got suspended . . . and why actions by other players where there is no long standing feud got only one game (or fined) even if what they did might be viewed as a greater infraction.
The only issue I recall from the first meeting of the Bengals & Steelers was Burfict kicking a Steelers offensive lineman in the head after a play (no penalty was called).   Aside from that the game was clean.  Perhaps these guys just get really amped for prime-time games.  Yet the NFL continues to schedule and promote Steelers-Bengals matchups on prime-time.  Maybe the league really doesn't care all that much despite all their fines & suspensions.

I don't buy that JuJu had a big feud against Burfict.  He is a rookie WR that laid down a huge block.  He was pumped but he shouldn't have stood over him and deserved to be penalized but I don't think he was targeting Burfict.  It was just by happy circumstance that it came against the biggest richard in the league.

College is completely different. Those players still enjoy playing and are competitive. Once you start getting paid at the professional level, IMO, it becomes a job and less enjoyable. At least from what I've heard from a couple of guys who I grew up with who played professional basketball. And according to the link I provided. 

Yes, you don't forget cheap shots, but I think the whole idea of "we're playing ____ this week, and last year they took out ______ on our team so I'm going to gun for him" is far fetched. Maybe I'm wrong. I don't know. I'm sure these athletes are aware that Burfict is a complete loser who enjoys the violence a little too much, so there's a significant lack of sympathy. But I highly doubt they are going into the game seeking revenge. Again, maybe I'm wrong. 

Yes. Big difference between seeking revenge and being apathetic towards a violent player getting hurt

Not a fan of either team (and don't need juju next week as I have a bye) but this sucks. I totally get the player safety aspect but it bums me out that a scumbag like burfict gets protecting. It should be open season on that guy. He deserves it.
This is how I feel about it. But also, upon further thinking, I honestly wonder if part of the reason for suspending Juju is to signal to Burfict that the kid got his punishment for the act and that any further "punishment" doled out by him in the next PIT v CIN matchup will be met with the same consequences. 

Think about it: Had they not suspended Juju, do you think Burfict would have been headhunting in their next game thinking, "If that little ####er can get away with that hit then watch what I can do..."

This is how I feel about it. But also, upon further thinking, I honestly wonder if part of the reason for suspending Juju is to signal to Burfict that the kid got his punishment for the act and that any further "punishment" doled out by him in the next PIT v CIN matchup will be met with the same consequences. 

Think about it: Had they not suspended Juju, do you think Burfict would have been headhunting in their next game thinking, "If that little ####er can get away with that hit then watch what I can do..."
I think something still will happen. Shuster will need his head on a swivel next Bengal game.

For this to be true, we have to assume Goodell's suspensions have reasons, and he's not just spinning a wheel for these kinds of decisions. 

And that Goodell cares about player safety

:no:

JuJu was suspended because it was a hit to the helmet, technically, a player got hurt, and it was on national television.

If he didn't get hurt, I don't think any suspension happens at all, and if it wasn't on a national stage I think he just gets a fine regardless. 

Pretty much the same thing. There were no Steelers on their knees praying with arms joined when Burfict was laying there.
They are NOT even close to the same thing.  Revenge indicates that this was planned out, while thinking he got what he deserved does not.

Absolutely ridiculous. Both Gronkowski and Iloka's plays were much more egregious. JuJu blocked Burfict square in the chest. His helmet slid up under Vontaze's helmet. You want to throw the crackback block flag, OK. I'm not even sure if it was a blindside block since he was squared to Vontaze, but OK. The taunting was unnecessary. Throw a flag there too. Fine. A suspension for that is absurd. He did not target the player's head and/or neck. The major impact was shoulder to chest, the rest was incidental. I'm not sorry that Burfict was the one de-cleated, but the defender blocked isn't the issue, the hit is. I agree with those that feel that this is a message to the teams to "knock it off." A suspension was not warranted based solely on the play. 

Iloka launched himself and intentionally blasted Brown in the head with the crown of his helmet. Iloka is also a known head-hunter and Bengals fans know it. That was much worse. If there was any single play in the game that deserved a suspension in a vacuum, this is the one. 

Gronkowski gave a guy a forearm shiver to the back of the head after the play was whistled dead and concussed him. That was the worst offense of the three. It wasn't even in the run of play and effectively was tantamount to assault. 

The fact that all 3 players received the same penalty just once again shows how capriciously the NFL metes out "justice."
I’m on record as calling Gronks hit a cheap late hit that was deserving of a fine and 1 game suspension before it was handed down. Im not here to defend him, it was a stupid dirty thing to do and i believe the punishment was fair.

What gronk did was bad enough (hitting a man in the back while he was already down) but some feel the need to embellish it with incorrect opinion posted as fact and I can’t help but notice the contrast with how some demonize gronk and then try to make excuses and spin the vicious dirty hit when its "their guy”.

1.       Gronk did not give a forearm shiver to the head as you falsely claim, if you watch the video you can see gronks forearm was actually down by his side.

2.       You claim Gronk intentionally targeted whites head while simultaneously (incredibly) trying to claim Juju “blocked player square in the chest” (no he didn’t) and “His (jujus) helmet slid up under Vontaze's helmet”. Both claims are silly and factually incorrect.

3.       Gronk hit the player in the head no question, but to claim as fact he “targeted” the players head is false or at least very much open to debate imho. You never really lose site of Whites helmet and that’s because gronk imho is targeting whites back not his head (still horrendous). To demonize Gronks intent while simultaneously declaring and insisting it wasn’t Jujus intent is stunningly homerific.  

4.       Jujus block was not square, video and still shots show this.

5.       Jujus helmet did not slip up (lol) under burficts helmet. Watch the video and the stills and it is clear the crown of jujus helmet is nose high just before contact with burfict.

6.       It is in fact Jujus helmet to burficts head where 1st contact is made.

If you and others want to make an argument that gronk was targeting whites head go ahead but to claim it as fact while simultaneously claiming as fact that your guy Juju wasn’t targeting the head neck area is absurd.

Gronks hit may have been more “wrong” since it occurred after the whistle and to a player who was already down. However there is no question that Jujus hit was potentially much more of a “career ender" than gronks and its not close.

I think both players were punished fairly.

If you slow down these videos to 0.5 I think you will see that pretty much everything I said regarding Gronk forearm, Jujus angle, helmet height and helmet making 1st contact are true.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRFVsQTvpjw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHyo_ccts7k

I’m on record as calling Gronks hit a cheap late hit that was deserving of a fine and 1 game suspension before it was handed down. Im not here to defend him, it was a stupid dirty thing to do and i believe the punishment was fair.

What gronk did was bad enough (hitting a man in the back while he was already down) but some feel the need to embellish it with incorrect opinion posted as fact and I can’t help but notice the contrast with how some demonize gronk and then try to make excuses and spin the vicious dirty hit when its "their guy”.

1.       Gronk did not give a forearm shiver to the head as you falsely claim, if you watch the video you can see gronks forearm was actually down by his side.

2.       To claim Gronk intentionally targeted players head while simultaneously (laughably) claiming Juju “blocked player square in the chest” (no he didn’t) and “His helmet slid up under Vontaze's helmet” is absurd and are both factually incorrect.

3.       Gronk hit the player in the head no question, but to claim as fact he “targeted” the players head is false or at least very much open to debate imho. You never really lose site of Whites helmet and that’s because gronk imho is targeting whites back not his head (still horrendous). To demonize Gronks intent while simultaneously declaring and insisting it wasn’t Jujus intent is stunningly homerific.  

4.       Jujus block was not square, video and still shots show this.

5.       Jujus helmet did not slip up (lol) under burficts helmet. Watch the video and the stills and it is clear the crown of jujus helmet is nose high just before contact with burfict.

6.       It is in fact Jujus helmet to burficts head where 1st contact is made.

If you and others want to make an argument that gronk was targeting whites head go ahead but to claim it as fact while simultaneously claiming as fact that your guy Juju wasn’t targeting the head neck area is absurd.

Gronks hit may have been more “wrong” since it occurred after the whistle and to a player who was already down. However there is no question that Jujus hit was potentially much more of a “career ender" “ than gronks and its not close.

I think both player were punished fairly.

If you slow down these videos to 0.5 I think you will see that pretty much everything I said regarding Gronk forearm, Jujus angle, helemet height and helmet making 1st contact are true.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRFVsQTvpjw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHyo_ccts7k
:lol:  

I think something still will happen. Shuster will need his head on a swivel next Bengal game.
Probably so. But the penalty will be even stiffer if Burfict does retaliate. The kid got his punishment, there's no excuse to add literal insult to injury. Burfict should be ejected and suspended for his next game if there's any attempt at retaliation –– basically an MLB response. 

Probably so. But the penalty will be even stiffer if Burfict does retaliate. The kid got his punishment, there's no excuse to add literal insult to injury. Burfict should be ejected and suspended for his next game if there's any attempt at retaliation –– basically an MLB response. 
I agree but knowing  Burficts history he would probably gladly take a suspension for a good kill shot on Shuster.

You have to be ####ting me about Iloka... Goodell is tanking this league hard.
Direct shot to the head is not worthy of a suspension according to Goodell.  Does anyone else want to make the argument the league office is concerned about league safety or the violence in the Steelers-Bengals rivalry? 

Direct shot to the head is not worthy of a suspension according to Goodell.  Does anyone else want to make the argument the league office is concerned about league safety or the violence in the Steelers-Bengals rivalry? 
:goodposting:

I'm convinced if JuJu did not taunt him after he hit, his suspension would be over-turned as well. This is a PR move. Plain and simple. What a joke

:goodposting:

I'm convinced if JuJu did not taunt him after he hit, his suspension would be over-turned as well. This is a PR move. Plain and simple. What a joke
I don't disagree with you, and the taunting made the circumstances 10 times worse, but has anyone else been suspended for taunting? 

The Iloka suspension being overturned basically proves that the NFL didn't suspend Juju because of the head shot at all (the thing they supposedly care the most about), they suspended him for the taunting. If they cared about player safety, no way the Iloka hit (the 2nd in the same game) gets lessened to a fine.

If I didn't love the Steelers I'd probably stop watching the NFL, this bull**it is getting too annoying.

The Iloka suspension being overturned basically proves that the NFL didn't suspend Juju because of the head shot at all (the thing they supposedly care the most about), they suspended him for the taunting. If they cared about player safety, no way the Iloka hit (the 2nd in the same game) gets lessened to a fine.

If I didn't love the Steelers I'd probably stop watching the NFL, this bull**it is getting too annoying.
Yep. Protect the image of the shield at all costs. While pretending to care about player safety

JuJu's suspension upheld, Iloka's was overturned.  He will be available this week.  :lmao:
Makes sense.  I think if Schuster didn't stand over him, his would have been overturned as well.  The taunting did him in because Schuster was flagged for both the hit and taunting where the hit on Brown was just flagged for the hit.

I don't disagree with you, and the taunting made the circumstances 10 times worse, but has anyone else been suspended for taunting? 
The league will never say that he was suspended for taunting.  He was suspended for the hit. The taunting simply removed any doubt that it had bad intent. He made the league's job easy. That's why I said earlier that he has to study film of Hines Ward. That dude laid out guys multiple times a year. But always played it off like he was just hustling and trying to help his team win. 

Soon-to-be Hall of Fame linebacker Derrick Brooks, already a busy man in his retirement, added another job to his work week. The NFL and NFLPA announced Friday that Brooks will serve as one of the league's two appeals officers.

Brooks, who will be inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame on Aug. 2 in Canton, Ohio, will serve as an arbitrator for on-field discipline against players, hearing player appeals of fines levied for actions during games. He replaces former Vikings star Matt Birk, and will join former NFL coach Ted Cottrell in that role.

"Derrick views this game with a very unique understanding as both a player and a team president," said Troy Vincent, the NFL's executive vice president of football operations. "His review of appeals will be informed by experience as a player and as an executive."

Brooks has an active calendar of honors ahead, highlighted by his Hall enshrinement, then on Sept. 14 at Raymond James Stadium, where he'll have his No. 55 jersey retired as he's inducted into the Bucs' Ring of Honor during a game against the Rams.

"Derrick was jointly selected by the players and the NFL and we expect he will bring expertise and professionalism to his role as an arbitration officer," NFLPA senior director of player affairs and development Jason Belser said. "We look forward to working with him."

The league will never say that he was suspended for taunting.  He was suspended for the hit. The taunting simply removed any doubt that it had bad intent. He made the league's job easy. That's why I said earlier that he has to study film of Hines Ward. That dude laid out guys multiple times a year. But always played it off like he was just hustling and trying to help his team win. 
Plus one guy got up after the play and the other needed assistance.

On the NFL Network they thought Iloka was more of incidental contact going for the ball and were much more harsh about Shusters hit. Plus the fact that Brown was dancing on the ground and got up jumping around and Burfict was wheeled out on a gurney probably played into the decision.

Not my opinion.
I know but it is a preposterous position to take based on what actually happened.  If they want to say JuJu got suspended because of the taunting or because Burfict was carted off the field okay but arguing IIoka was going after the ball is just crazy.  You would just as accurate saying that IIoka was riding an elephant.

Plus one guy got up after the play and the other needed assistance.
Of course, the guy who "needed assistance" needed it only after he rolled over and tried to grab JuJu's feet as he was walking away, and, according to the ESPN field reporter was jumping up and down in the hallway outside the locker room shouting "I've been telling you I'm OK!"

I don't like the Steelers.  At all.

That play is exactly the stuff they need to get out of the game.  I didn't feel the same way watching JuJu's hit.  They reversed the wrong suspension.  What a joke considering how dangerous that play was above.
Both plays were dangerous.  Shuster did look like he had more to eye up his victim though.

The more I see Smith-Schuster's hit, the bigger BS his suspension looks like.  While not a legal hit anymore, he clearly lowered his shoulder and aimed square in the chest, not the head. Should have been a flag and maybe a small fine, but not a suspendable hit, although like I said before, the taunt makes it look like he targeted Burfict, so that is likely why he got the 1 game. 

I like Juju. But he had no beef with the Bengals.  He is the third, maybe fourth receiver for a contending team and took a cheap shot against one of their top defenders and taunted him afterwards.  That's totally out of character for this kid. Only explanation is that it came from Tomlin. Maybe the dirtiest coach in league history.  Guy needs to go. 

I like Juju. But he had no beef with the Bengals.  He is the third, maybe fourth receiver for a contending team and took a cheap shot against one of their top defenders and taunted him afterwards.  That's totally out of character for this kid. Only explanation is that it came from Tomlin. Maybe the dirtiest coach in league history.  Guy needs to go. 
Why are the Patriots so scared of the Steelers? They played a soft zone last year and let Brady pick them apart. They're liable to do the same thing this year. You should have no worries, man.  

The more I see Smith-Schuster's hit, the bigger BS his suspension looks like.  While not a legal hit anymore, he clearly lowered his shoulder and aimed square in the chest, not the head. Should have been a flag and maybe a small fine, but not a suspendable hit, although like I said before, the taunt makes it look like he targeted Burfict, so that is likely why he got the 1 game. 
In todays NFL it does not matter where you aim..it is where you make contact.  90% of the bang bang plays that are helmet to helmet are not intentional as players do not want to lose a game day check.  I don`t think Shuster intended to drill Burfict in the head and I don`t think Iloka did it on purpose. 

Watching the NFL Network they seemed to agree that Shuster lined up and targeted Burfict and had more time than Iloka. The NFL agreed.

Full transcript

"Just hand us all some flags," started Mitchell. "Hand us all some flags and let us go out there and try to grab the flags off, because we're not playing football. This is not damned football. When I was six years old watching Charles Woodson, Rod Woodson, Sean Taylor, the hitters, Jack Tatum, that's football. This ain't football. You gotta know what the risk is when you sign up. No one wants to be paralyzed. No one wants to have head injuries. 
"These are all things that are negative, but let's not try to turn football into a dangerous, barbaric game. This is how I've changed my family legacy. Before I got drafted I had $368 to my bank account. That is far from the case today. I've changed my family legacy by this beautiful game of football for forever, so let's not try to turn it into some evil, dirty game. It's football. It's no different than UFC fighting. This is a combat, contact sport. There are going to be injuries. That's just what it is. If you don't want to get injured then don't come out here. This is for real men. This is a man's game. Ray Lewis said that a couple years ago. I stand by that. It's a man's game. If you want to be a little kid, you don't want to get your ### hit, then don't come out here, because this is for grown men. Straight like that."

Mitchell was asked if the Steelers have more respect for their primary competitive rival, the Baltimore Ravens, than they do for the Bengals.
"Man there's respect out there," Mitchell said. "If you cross those lines, I have respect for you. I respect that you're a competitor. I respect that you have some type of toughness about you. I respect that you're a talented, world-class athlete. I'm sitting here talking to George after the game because he is one of my good friends. That's why I felt like I had to tweet and try to defend him because I think it's just crazy. I know George. I know his fiance. He's not that way, but we are physical safeties. And think about what you ask us to do. We're always the last line of defense. We're always making bang-bang plays. You never see us getting to line somebody up in a hole like a linebacker. We're playing full speed. He's 4.4. We're 4.4, 4.3 speed, like, aim THAT. You go do that. You can't. It's just the risk of playing football. If a ball is in the air and a man jumps, or a man ducks his head, how do you want me to re-adjust my body? You cannot do it. At the end of the game this is foot ball. If you want to see flag football, let's take our pads off. That would make it easier for me, because now I don't have to wear heavy s***. But give us flags to pull off because that way I know what we're playing. 
"I signed up to play full-speed, contact football and we're not doing that. I feel like I've got to ask a guy, 'Hey, are you ready for me to hit you right now before I hit you?' And that's crazy. I'm gonna mess around and get hurt trying to protect an offensive player because he's running an over route. Dammit, your quarterback shouldn't have thrown that ball messed up. That happened two years ago. I'm not joking at all. Andy Dalton threw a ball to Tyler Eifert two years ago. Tyler Eifert had to dive for it. I'm aiming for his gut. If he don't dive, he don't get hit in the head. That's 50 grand out of my pocket though because Andy throws a bad ball. Make that make sense. 
"At first you're taking our money, but now I've got (expletives) like Matt Hasselbeck calling me a dirty player and trying my character, and we've never met before. I donate more money to Cincinnati underprivileged kids than probably people on the Bengals. So don't give me that name. My nephew goes to school there. Man, I take all that personally. If you don't know me. If you've never had a conversation with me, don't judge us by what you see in football, because football's my competitive side.
"There's just so much going on in the game right now. Yes, obviously I'm a little flustered, but we've got to do better. We've got to do better. I said it yesterday. We've got to get better as players when we sign the next CBA. We've got to get better at leadership as who's running the league, because obviously everybody from fans, owners, players are all disappointed in Roger Goodell. We just gotta do better. We can't have a guy where you just hand out discipline on how you see fit. There needs to be a set guideline on how we do what we do. I see two people get post-play penalties, one that don't have to do with football and you get the same suspension as a guy who is making a football play in a football game. It's absolutely absurd. But like I said, it's Steelers versus the world."

But don't leave centers out of the mix. Maurkice Pouncey had plenty of heat to deliver on the topic as well.
"Aw, man, that was a football play," Pouncey said of Smith-Schuster's block. "I don't know what else they want to do, whether they want to cut the guy or what. Did he kind of hit him in the head? Yeah. Just fine him. But to suspend him for a whole game? You gave him the same suspension as Gronk who 10 seconds after the play gives a guy a concussion? I mean, c'mon."
Pouncey didn't like the fact Smith-Schuster's suspension was upheld in appeal while Iloka's was overturned.
"What's the difference?" Pouncey asked. "How was that hit any different? Because AB got up after he scored? What if AB would've laid there the entire time? C'mon. It's just stupid, man. My thing is that dude (Burfict) kicked Rosie (Nix) in the face and nothing happened. And then JuJu gets suspended for that? It's stupid. It just blows my mind that the league would even have us answering that stupid-### question. It kinda pisses me off because that kid there plays hard. He's such a great kid. He's not a dirty player. If that's the case then make Gronk sit two games, three games. How can you justify that compared to what JuJu did? That's just stupid.
"Honestly, five years ago no one says anything about JuJu's hit; even a couple years ago. The Gronk thing? That's never been allowed. And they're going to make it the same suspension? That's just like a smack in the face to us. Stupid. Even A.J. Green, he got into a fight and didn't get suspended. There were blows thrown. And you're going to suspend a kid for playing hard? Stuff that's inside the game? That's stupid. Whoever's making that rule is a #######."

Users who are viewing this thread