What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Julian Edelman going forward (1 Viewer)

I'm sure a lot of you are in a similar boat as me.... having to decide what % of your FA budget to bid on Edelman.

It was encouraging that he was on the field for a ton of snaps at the same time as Amendola, so they clearly don't look at him as DA's backup. But I am concerned that they may not want to have two "slot-type" of guys on the field together when Gronk returns, since he owns the middle of the field.

Thoughts?
I don't think I am even going to bother bidding, if I did it would be in the 10-12% range which I'm pretty sure would not be any where close to what people will bid on him.

Keep in mind Gronk is back after Thursdays game (my guess).

Leon Washington will be in taking a good chunk of Vereen's touches.

Dobson, Boyce, Blount, "Hooman", etc...Brady will be spreading it around (again my guess).

This just stinks of Ogletree V2.0
Last I checked ogletree had dez Bryant and miles Austin ahead of him. Who does Edelman have? If you say gronk then the cowboys have written. If you say vereen, the cowboys have Murray. I just don't get this statement, as Ogletree was the number 3 wr. Edelman is miles Austin in this equation...

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sure a lot of you are in a similar boat as me.... having to decide what % of your FA budget to bid on Edelman. It was encouraging that he was on the field for a ton of snaps at the same time as Amendola, so they clearly don't look at him as DA's backup. But I am concerned that they may not want to have two "slot-type" of guys on the field together when Gronk returns, since he owns the middle of the field. Thoughts?
Edelman is pretty capable of playing outside, and by the looks of it right now he's the only WR they've got who can. It should be noted that Amendola can play outside as well, so these two can move around a lot when they're both healthy.
So IF he remains healthy, there should be no worry about him getting plenty of playing time going forward?
That's my opinion, for whatever that's worth. If he's healthy, I think he's on the field until one of the young guys proves they should overtake him. Boyce got a tiny bit of action, and I think he was targeted once. Was Dobson even active? I don't think he was, but that's probably a Special Teams numbers game, if he doesn't play them.

Edelman was being utilized on the outside (and in the slot) when Welker was still there at the beginning of last year, before Edelman went down he was a big part of their gameplan.

With Vereen out (and he was motioning out wide a good bit) I think that only increases Edelman's opportunity, whether it's in the slot or on the outside. The Pats love his versatility.
Dobson is hurt
Thank you, I was wondering what was going on there.

With Vereen out (and he was motioning out wide a good bit) I think that only increases Edelman's opportunity, whether it's in the slot or on the outside. The Pats love his versatility.
Totally agree. Even when Gronk comes back, there's a good chance Edelman is still the 3rd most productive receiving option for NE - and that's when Amendola is actually healthy.

I'll believe the rookies have surpassed Edelman when they prove it on a consistent basis.

I'm sure a lot of you are in a similar boat as me.... having to decide what % of your FA budget to bid on Edelman.

It was encouraging that he was on the field for a ton of snaps at the same time as Amendola, so they clearly don't look at him as DA's backup. But I am concerned that they may not want to have two "slot-type" of guys on the field together when Gronk returns, since he owns the middle of the field.

Thoughts?
I don't think I am even going to bother bidding, if I did it would be in the 10-12% range which I'm pretty sure would not be any where close to what people will bid on him.

Keep in mind Gronk is back after Thursdays game (my guess).

Leon Washington will be in taking a good chunk of Vereen's touches.

Dobson, Boyce, Blount, "Hooman", etc...Brady will be spreading it around (again my guess).

This just stinks of Ogletree V2.0
Last I checked ogletree had dez Bryant and miles Austin ahead of him. Who does Edelman have? If you say gronk then the cowboys have written. If you say vereen, the cowboys have Murray. I just don't get this statement, as Ogletree was the number 3 wr. Edelman is miles Austin in this equation...
You understand Ogletree was the 1 and done week 1 waiver wire darling of 2012 right?Ogletree 2012

Code:
Week	Fantasy Points1	23.42	3.13	5.74	2.86	07	2.78	09	15.610	011	113	0.814	2.815	0.916	1.217	8.5
Edelman 2012
Code:
WK	FPT1	0.72	53	8.37	0.78	0.810	011	16.512	12.713	1.3

I love short term edelman value. I think hes gonna go for 7-70 the next several weeks with a TD here and there. I just don't trust him in dynasty format as he really isn't that great of a player, I just traded him away in a dynasty for a second round pick and missed out on him in redraft after a bid of $21, He went for $28. I would have gone higher, but I have Gronk and Veeren already.

Meh i think hell be good while amendola is out but i wouldnt invest a ton of $$ on him. Yeah i know he olayed a ton of snaps but hes just a guy IMO. I think he had his best game of the year in week 1.

As long as Edelman is healthy and in the Patriots lineup going forward, He will produce WR2 stats the rest of the way. Health is the biggy though with him, He's not durable like Welker. Amendola is just not going to be on the field much the rest of the year because of ___________ (fill in injury here) so Edelman won't have to worry about him. Gronk will be back soon but they won't get in each other's way in terms of targets. Brady won't trust the rookies. The running game is inconsistent so really, there's nothing stopping his production going forward.

As long as Edelman is healthy and in the Patriots lineup going forward, He will produce WR2 stats the rest of the way. Health is the biggy though with him, He's not durable like Welker. Amendola is just not going to be on the field much the rest of the year because of ___________ (fill in injury here) so Edelman won't have to worry about him. Gronk will be back soon but they won't get in each other's way in terms of targets. Brady won't trust the rookies. The running game is inconsistent so really, there's nothing stopping his production going forward.
Ridley gets benched for a half and now the running game is inconsistent? Might wanna look at his stats from last year..just saying.

I see his upside for a full season as 65-660-6
That's what you have his upside at?Considering his week 1 game and the injury risk/youth of the other offensive weapons I think it's safe to put his upside significantly higher than that. The numbers you posted seem like a realistic projection, not upside.

ldizzle said:
Dragon1952 said:
I dropped him in my 40 man dynasty league before kickoff, I'm not even going to waste my time picking him up.
Ha ha....yeah right....40 man roster and you drop Edleman? Even before the opener I don't believe that for a moment because even in a 28 man roster he would be a no-brainer. Seriously what other 12 or 13 players would you roster over him?
please dont encourage him and just ignore his biased remarks
Its my opinion, followed by a statement of something I actually did being interpreted by someone who apparently has little idea of how much worth a 6th string utility player has on a 40 man IDP roster.

As far as biased opinions go, the influx of them has been incredibly high as of the week 1 game, Edleman went from special teams player who has struggled every opportunity hes ever been given in the offense to Wes Welker... but its my opinion thats biased.

I was able to acquire him in a league but I'm very skeptical. He's my WR4 but I am probably going to dump him at some point to regain the cap space. I am thinking of doing it already to be honest. Paid way too much for him and I'll need the room down the line somewhere.

shadyridr said:
Meh i think hell be good while amendola is out but i wouldnt invest a ton of $$ on him. Yeah i know he olayed a ton of snaps but hes just a guy IMO. I think he had his best game of the year in week 1.
I agree he's just a guy, though more than that both short term and for the short passing game. And just a guy who brings something that helps in the short passing game with Brady and 70+ plays a game is definitely more than just a guy in fantasy.

Also, especially for teams that are 1-0, getting a really good #3 fantasy receiver with good #2 upside at least short term could mean the difference between 1-3 and 3-1 if you are weak at the position, waiting on gronk, need a flex because vereen or someone else went down.

I spent too much on him in one league and spent probably his value (35-40% of budget) and am happy with both. I've learned that unspent money does you no good. And getting a potetial weekly starter this early in the season can pay big dividends.

Don't see the ogletree comparisons at all other than both had a great first game. Edelman has had injury issues but has always shown an ability to produce with Brady and was expected by many to be Welkers albeit not as good replacement. He is at worst the third option and may during some weeks be the top option or second , reasonably speaking. Not apples to apples at all IMO.

Have Amendola so I threw out a bid of just over 1/3 of my cap to lock him up. Someone threw out the EXACT same bid, and he got Edelman in a tiebreaker. :hot:

I know... great story... I'll keep you updated.

I picked him up in 3 leagues. One is a 14 team league (auction). I am very weak at RB, and was solid at WR, or so I thought, but picked him up to fill in for Roddy a couple weeks. Other league is a 3wr, 2rb no flex league. I have Amendola, so he is a good fill in. The third league, I just figured what the hell (my 2nd and 3rd RBs are Wilson and Miller, so I can use seom flex backup).

My expectations are he'll be a good short term fill in. If he has any great games, I'll try to move him for a RB or other WR. Or I'll keep him, who knows, maybe I'll ride him to a championship.

Benched him for Jordy, D-Jax, and V-Jax in one league, starting him easily over Julius Thomas, Lance Moore, Kenny Britt, Knowshon Moreno and Doug Baldwin in another(PPR).

With news breaking about Amendola being out for 2-6 weeks, he's going to be a PPR stud.

Edit: Now starting over D-Jax. :lol:

Double Edit: Now benched for D-Jax again :D

(I know you all care).

As an Amendola owner, I was totally against the "Edelman replaces Amendola" line of thinking that is dominating the fantasy world. Think I even made some comments in this thread about it.

But I got scared, and made a trade for Edelman (he was owned in our 12 team PPR with 20 roster spots) and now he's starting for me tonight. Next best option was Tavon Austin. It was the 2-6 week report that really scared me off.

So Go Edelman! I hope you are Amendola and more!

A little too much hype going on here. Stop making me nervous.
Just let it happen, everyone else selectively forgot all of history minus last week. You'll either all be right, or you won't.

Starting Thompkins, grabbed Dobson.

Have Amendola so I threw out a bid of just over 1/3 of my cap to lock him up. Someone threw out the EXACT same bid, and he got Edelman in a tiebreaker. :hot:

I know... great story... I'll keep you updated.
7 minute abs :there's something about Mary:Edelman has been the sole wideout that appears to know his routes and catches the ball. Great in PPR, soso in traditional leagues thus far.

Pretty much exactly what i expected. Tons of catches, low ypc, low chance of td. Great WR2 in ppr, wr3 in standard

I don't know how to do those cute little emoticons, but this is very fun, and I'm enjoying Edelman's night in my PPR league very much.

I think 1 thing is clear from tonights game. Edelman will have a role in this offense going forward. None of the rookies will challenge that.

Stud! he will be a solid WR1 with gronkowski to take some coverage. when Amendola returns I believe he will put up solid WR2 numbers. the rookie wrs looked atrocious...

Users who are viewing this thread