What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Julian Edelman Suspended 4 Games (1 Viewer)

I know a former nfl player who swears he didn’t see any PEDs when he played. This dude was and is still JACKED. He says knowing what he knows now he would have done them just in order to secure one massive contract. 
# 1 rule of fight club is don’t talk about fight club

Hmm wonder if losing those weapons and another year older for the ageless one could add up. I wouldn’t worry about TB12 normally but cooks, amendola, Edelman, solder, at what point do you fade the expectations of that offense? 
IMO, the offense will be fine if Brady is healthy and he doesn't lose too many guys to injury in-season. The Pats have replaced lineman, skill position players, and style of play calling multiple times over the years. 

For example, NE went from Troy Brown to Wes Welker to Julian Edelman and didn't miss a beat. They have also had various outside receivers including Branch, Moss, Lloyd, LaFell, and Cooks. How many RB's have they gone through (Smith, Faulk, Dillon, Maroney, Woodhead, BJGE, Ridley, Vereen, White, Blount, Lewis)?

Amendola didn't do much most years until the post season (and was frequently hurt). Lewis was only a factor the latter part of last season (and himself was often hurt). Solder was an above average LT but never was a Pro Bowler and does not warrant being the highest paid OLman in history.

The flip side to the question you raised is what could the offense be if players all stay healthy (which is unlikely but at least something to wonder about)?

Indeed, my projections don't bear out much of a Patterson dent. Even when giving Patterson a generous (for him) volume boost over those four games, he doesn't make a blip. No real boost for the others, either.

Indeed, my projections don't bear out much of a Patterson dent. Even when giving Patterson a generous (for him) volume boost over those four games, he doesn't make a blip. No real boost for the others, either.
How? Not trying to attack but minus Cooks, Amendola and Lewis is 235 tgts for the season with that being 13.8 targets per game. Someone has to get a boost even if it’s an RB.

How? Not trying to attack but minus Cooks, Amendola and Lewis is 235 tgts for the season with that being 13.8 targets per game. Someone has to get a boost even if it’s an RB.
So while the guys you mentioned are gone, here are the variables . . .

- Edelman has averaged almost 10 targets per game since becoming a starter, but is returning from ACL surgery and likely suspended to start the season.
- Matthews added.
- Britt re-signed.
- Michel drafted.
- Dorsett re-signed.
- Burkhead re-signed.
- Patterson acquired.
- Hogan healthier (for now).
- Mitchell coming back from IR.
- Braxton Berrios drafted.
- Cody McCarron and Cody Hollister returning after being on practice squad.

Once Edelman gets back, he could eat up 10 of your 13.8 targets per game all by himself. But there are a lot of other guys in the mix (several of which could have no role at all or not make the team).

So while the guys you mentioned are gone, here are the variables . . .

- Edelman has averaged almost 10 targets per game since becoming a starter, but is returning from ACL surgery and likely suspended to start the season.
- Matthews added.
- Britt re-signed.
- Michel drafted.
- Dorsett re-signed.
- Burkhead re-signed.
- Patterson acquired.
- Hogan healthier (for now).
- Mitchell coming back from IR.
- Braxton Berrios drafted.
- Cody McCarron and Cody Hollister returning after being on practice squad.

Once Edelman gets back, he could eat up 10 of your 13.8 targets per game all by himself. But there are a lot of other guys in the mix (several of which could have no role at all or not make the team).

Strictly speaking of the first 4 games though it opens up quite the door. I think it’s too easy to be dismissive and suggest it’s just a wash. I’m not sure how that it could be that Edelman is pinned down at 10 targets but that another WR that enters that role can’t get close to that. Amendola saw 5.7 targets per game when healthy last year. I could see Matthews getting that and being between the 6-8 range those first few weeks if not better. It doesnt scream back half stud but it is a value where he is going right now.

Jordan Matthews never saw less than 6.4 targets/game in his first three years before being traded to Buffalo and being hurt all last year.

Jordan Matthews never saw less than 6.4 targets/game in his first three years before being traded to Buffalo and being hurt all last year.
Kenny Britt averaged almost the same targets in his time with the Rams. Yet no one is talking about him. What players did on other teams doesn't always serve as a predictor to how they will be used or what they will do in NE.

Mitchell averaged around 6 targets a game down the stretch and in the playoffs in his rookie season. If healthy, he could also be a candidate to see more work with Edelman out. As BB always says, last year is last year and this year is this year.You are right that someone could see 6-8 targets with JE out the first four games, but there is no guarantee that one guy will see those targets all four games.

I'm not saying people should avoid Matthews, but I think he may end up being overpriced as his draft stock will likely go up. I would be more inclined to have an interest in Edelman, as his stock will take a dive. I would not be shocked if Matthews and Edelman end up drafted pretty close to each other if reports come out that Matthews is lighting it up in camp.

Kenny Britt averaged almost the same targets in his time with the Rams. Yet no one is talking about him. What players did on other teams doesn't always serve as a predictor to how they will be used or what they will do in NE.

Mitchell averaged around 6 targets a game down the stretch and in the playoffs in his rookie season. If healthy, he could also be a candidate to see more work with Edelman out. As BB always says, last year is last year and this year is this year.You are right that someone could see 6-8 targets with JE out the first four games, but there is no guarantee that one guy will see those targets all four games.

I'm not saying people should avoid Matthews, but I think he may end up being overpriced as his draft stock will likely go up. I would be more inclined to have an interest in Edelman, as his stock will take a dive. I would not be shocked if Matthews and Edelman end up drafted pretty close to each other if reports come out that Matthews is lighting it up in camp.
for me this the key.....and it will probably be the same even after preseason game #4....so this changes very little in my mind other that in redraft you may be able to get Edelman a little later and stash....

according to the ADP section on the front page of FBG....Mathews going off as PPR WR70 right now.....and even with this news I I would not jump him over anyone 1-69....

To clarify: no apparent, immediate bump. Right now I'm accounting for a lot of potential contributors in NE, however unlikely each may be. So my model is still sharing peripheral target rates among Hogan, Matthews, Mitchell, and Britt. As the season approaches, some of those names will fall out of my consideration and others will have sharper focus. FWIW I expect either Mitchell or Matthews to seize a role, not both, and my NE projections will streamline.

I guess Gronk and Hogan did get small amounts of juice in my numbers as the top two options from W1-4, but nothing to move the needle too much right now. Neither really climb in my ideal ADP.

Edit: Not to mention, all of these numbers are fed by what I project to a slight but noticeable downtick in play volume and uptick in run rate. All told, I have the entire offense losing 7 snaps and 19 dropbacks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Making the team for Berrios would be a success, but with how difficult the playbook is like Matthews has talked about I don't see a rookie sliding in there. 
Berrios talent at NFL-level is big question mark, but he graduated from UM with a double major in finance and entrepreneurship with 3.961 GPA. Learning the playbook won’t be an issue.

am I the only one that thinks this does very little to almost nothing in terms of "bumping" any of the WR's..?...I saw somebody above say it bumps another NE WR by two rounds.. :shock: ..to me this means very little.....especially long term.....I'm not really bumping anybody on NE for a 4 game stint....this isn't like most situations......by the time it gets figured out, he is back....
Only Gronk gets a bump.

IMO, this is very misleading. The stats don’t tell the full picture. Some games Gronk was just returning from injury and wasnon a snap count or used sparingly. Other players like Lewis or Hogan or Amendola were also dinged up. 

Another factor is how much notice and prep time was involved. Brady ended up just fine last year. The situation would change with an in game injury or an injury out the following week. NE will still have months to scheme for Edelman being out. 

IMO, this is very misleading. The stats don’t tell the full picture. Some games Gronk was just returning from injury and wasnon a snap count or used sparingly. Other players like Lewis or Hogan or Amendola were also dinged up. 

Another factor is how much notice and prep time was involved. Brady ended up just fine last year. The situation would change with an in game injury or an injury out the following week. NE will still have months to scheme for Edelman being out. 
I kind of agree but I also think the point is that Edelman/Welker role has been very important to Brady’s success and may, in fact, open things up for Gronk more. I don’t think there is much value add to Gronk with Edelman being out. It is very noteworthy that Hogan and White had that massive of a jump with that role being reduced.

Looks to me like all receivers get a little bump just by the fact Edelman won't be there. But frankly with the way the running game was addressed Im expecting even more RB involvement, more than what we normally expect. Heavy rotation, all involved.

Guess I’m not really on the Gronk bump thing....dude is TE1 off the board in almost every league....and not sure an Edelman 4 game suspension has him leapfrogging any other position player ahead of him in drafts....he is still gonna go where he was going to go as the first TE off the board....

Guess I’m not really on the Gronk bump thing....dude is TE1 off the board in almost every league....and not sure an Edelman 4 game suspension has him leapfrogging any other position player ahead of him in drafts....he is still gonna go where he was going to go as the first TE off the board....
Yes, but now he goes to eleven.

This story has taken a turn for the bizarre. Edelman apparently was flagged for an elevated reading somewhere in his test. However, the league has had a couple of months to determine what he was flagged for and can not identify the substance. They are continuing to try to determine what the substance is and will continue lab testing to identify it. 

So my question is, if they don’t know what it is, how can it be on the banned substances list? Wouldn’t the league need to have reached a conclusion on the substance before suspending a player?

i am not saying Edelman didn’t take something, nor am I saying he shouldn’t get suspended. In this case, the process seems to be out of phase and/or not in accordance to the CBA (at least the way things have been described).  

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/06/11/report-julian-edelman-tested-positive-for-unrecognizable-substance/

This story has taken a turn for the bizarre. Edelman apparently was flagged for an elevated reading somewhere in his test. However, the league has had a couple of months to determine what he was flagged for and can not identify the substance.
Per who? I know Breer is reporting it but it's not like the league office is giving him this information which means it's likely he is just parroting info that Edelman's camp is giving him.

Sure, all of them. Nobody cheats like the Patriots. Nobody.
Well Jeff Blake used to play for the Arizona Cardinals and with regards to deflating footballs he said.....

I'm just going to let the cat of the bag, every team does it, every game, it has been since I played," the ex-Cardinal QB said Wednesday in a radio interview on the "Midday 180" show on Nashville's 104.5 The Zone. "Cause when you take the balls out of the bag, they are rock hard. And you can't feel the ball as well. It's too hard.

"Everybody puts the pin in and takes just enough air out of the ball that you can feel it a little better. But it's not the point to where it's flat. So I don't know what the big deal is. It's not something that's not been done for 20 years."

Blake says that he'd order ball boys to let air out of his footballs just before the start of games during his entire NFL career, which included time with the Arizona Cardinals in 2003.

(SHRUG) To me that sounds a LITTLE like someone cheating like the Patriots. Maybe just a LITTLE?

BoltBacker said:
Well Jeff Blake used to play for the Arizona Cardinals and with regards to deflating footballs he said.....

I'm just going to let the cat of the bag, every team does it, every game, it has been since I played," the ex-Cardinal QB said Wednesday in a radio interview on the "Midday 180" show on Nashville's 104.5 The Zone. "Cause when you take the balls out of the bag, they are rock hard. And you can't feel the ball as well. It's too hard.

"Everybody puts the pin in and takes just enough air out of the ball that you can feel it a little better. But it's not the point to where it's flat. So I don't know what the big deal is. It's not something that's not been done for 20 years."

Blake says that he'd order ball boys to let air out of his footballs just before the start of games during his entire NFL career, which included time with the Arizona Cardinals in 2003.

(SHRUG) To me that sounds a LITTLE like someone cheating like the Patriots. Maybe just a LITTLE?
Yep.  Good point.

We need to put an asterisk by all of Jeff Blake’s Super Bowl victories too.

BoltBacker said:

nobody ever wants to talk about the cheating Colts and cheater Luck and their deflated balls at the same halftime ...

if all teams do it - if all QB's do it ..... no asterisk is needed for Brady, Wilson, Rodgers, Foles or any other QB

but in that one particular game, 75% of the Colts balls tested were also under inflated wasn't they ? where is the outrage !!!

Users who are viewing this thread