What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Just found out hip replacement 2007 is poisoning me (1 Viewer)

I wonder what percentage of those suits were related to metallosis from older, metal-on-plastic joints?

No idea but if I were to guess I'd say not much, if any. Plenty of evidence that the industry didn't do enough due diligence on MOM before introducing it to the market. While metal-on-poly still has some risks, it has success going back to the 60's. Trying to win any kind of lawsuit on something with so much history typically requires showing that the surgeon didn't something negligent.
Well, if the case series reflect the general prevalence, it’s a rare complication of non-MOM joints.

And I was thinking a potential lawsuit against the prosthesis manufacturer, not the surgeon.

Either way, I’m surprised recommending he seek legal action was one of the first responses in the thread.

Really? You're surprised somebody suggested legal action? Society is becoming increasingly litigious.
Involved in a car accident = sue, dispute with your neighbor = take him/her to court.
Experiencing a medical/health problem = who can I sue?
Yes, really.

Of course I’m aware of highly publicized lawsuits, e.g. scalding coffee at McDonalds. But I assumed, perhaps wrongly, a lot of those types of suits are sensationalized, and we hear about so many of them because news is much more accessible than when we grew up.

IRL, I don’t know many people who have pursued, or been defendants in lawsuits. I know one coworker who is suing the prior owner of her home for not disclosing mold damage, and a group of radiation oncologists who sued the hospital for monopolizing their patient services. That’s it.

I don’t know anyone who’s been involved in a malpractice case. Sure, that’s not exactly something people are proud of, but I have many close friends in medicine, and I‘ve been in the field over two decades, so you’d think I’d hear about some. Same goes for people suing/being sued by their neighbors, or after an accident.

Heck, I didn’t even involve a lawyer in my divorce.

I believe the rest of the US has become more litigious. But fortunately, the islands haven’t followed suit, yet.

And to be clear, the OP may certainly be justified in pursuing legal action. But should that be the initial reaction to his post?

I wonder what percentage of those suits were related to metallosis from older, metal-on-plastic joints?

No idea but if I were to guess I'd say not much, if any. Plenty of evidence that the industry didn't do enough due diligence on MOM before introducing it to the market. While metal-on-poly still has some risks, it has success going back to the 60's. Trying to win any kind of lawsuit on something with so much history typically requires showing that the surgeon didn't something negligent.
Well, if the case series reflect the general prevalence, it’s a rare complication of non-MOM joints.

And I was thinking a potential lawsuit against the prosthesis manufacturer, not the surgeon.

Either way, I’m surprised recommending he seek legal action was one of the first responses in the thread.

Really? You're surprised somebody suggested legal action? Society is becoming increasingly litigious.
Involved in a car accident = sue, dispute with your neighbor = take him/her to court.
Yes, really.

Of course I’m aware of highly publicized lawsuits, e.g. scalding coffee at McDonalds. But I assumed, perhaps wrongly, a lot of those types of suits are sensationalized, and we hear about so many of them because news is much more accessible than when we grew up.

IRL, I don’t know many people who have pursued, or been defendants in lawsuits. I know one coworker who is suing the prior owner of her home for not disclosing mold damage, and a group of radiation oncologists who sued the hospital for monopolizing their patient services. That’s it.

I don’t know anyone who’s been involved in a malpractice case. Sure, that’s not exactly something people are proud of, but I have many close friends in medicine, and I‘ve been in the field over two decades, so you’d think I’d hear about some. Same goes for people suing/being sued by their neighbors, or after an accident.

I believe the rest of the US has become more litigious. But fortunately, the islands haven’t followed suit, yet.

And to be clear, the OP may certainly be justified in pursuing legal action. But should that be the initial reaction to his post?
Guys, I'm not looking to sue anyone. How many people have had implants with metal on them? I think elevated metal levels in the blood may be more common than I realize. I'm hoping removing the old device and replacing with another will essentially take care of the problem. The metal levels are high, but not toxic as I write this.

Yes, really.

Guys, I'm not looking to sue anyone. How many people have had implants with metal on them? I think elevated metal levels in the blood may be more common than I realize. I'm hoping removing the old device and replacing with another will essentially take care of the problem. The metal levels are high, but not toxic as I write this.
I agree with you JU, just focus on getting well and being able to live a fruitful life is what you want the most.
I don't think people suggesting are wrong bu I definitely think you need to focus on "Getting Right" and then look at your options after that if you even want to
I believe you just want your health back.

Great Grandma turned 90 this past Sunday, did both hips in the last 10 years as I recall, she's still kicking and looks focused on making it to 100.

Pour your energy to improve your health and just focus on you JU

Yes, really.

No, the initial reaction to his post should be telling him to take care of himself and make whatever changes are required to rid his body of this issue.
I'm not saying that the people involved actually follow through with lawsuits. But, it seems when advice is requested from random people, suing/legal action is suggested rather quickly as an option.

Yes, really.

I think your’re right, and metallosis is likely under-diagnosed. I also suspect many people have abnormal blood tests of unclear clinical significance. Regardless, it’s good you’ve got a diagnosis, and a plan to treat it.

And I never got the impression you were posting to explore your legal options. It’s just surprising other people are so quick to go down that path.

There have been a ton of hip replacement class action lawsuits over the past few decades. I met a lawyer last year who made nearly his entire career from them. You just have to google it, specifically to find firms that handle the cobalt poisoning claims if you want to pursue that route.

Good luck man I hope it works out well for you. I’m getting a new titanium hip installed later this month and am terrified about it but can’t wait any longer.
Yeah, my brother has the blood poisoning and already knows the class action suit was won - he gets some compensation when he gets the hip replaced.

The part I haven't been able to figure out or get him to explain is why all of this has been true for 5 years and he still hasn't replaced the old hip.

Yes, really.

It's probably the initial reaction for a couple of reasons:
  1. It's already happened on this exact topic. Chances are, there has already been a suit won against his hip manufacturer.
  2. Healthcare in the US is ruinous - the class action settlement might be all that makes the replacement affordable.
I get not wanting to be litigious - we don't want to end up in court because our neighbor's tree is over the fenceline. But juries have already found reason that these hip replacement companies owe people.

Yes, really.

1. It's already happened on this exact topic. Chances are, there has already been a suit won against his hip manufacturer.
  2. Healthcare in the US is ruinous - the class action settlement might be all that makes the replacement affordable.
I get not wanting to be litigious - we don't want to end up in court because our neighbor's tree is over the fenceline. But juries have already found reason that these hip replacement companies owe people.

That link is helpful, thanks.

I’d heard about metal poisoning from chromium implants, primarily from a Netflix documentary. I didn’t realize the magnitude of settled/active suits, though not all the litigation concerns metallosis. Really not sure how it will apply to the OP.

And fully agree American healthcare is sub-par, and prohibitively expensive.

Yes, really.

Thank you. Hope you get the help you need and get healthy.

I wish you the best of luck and I understand you just want to get better, but there is absolutely no reason to go at this alone. You need to talk to a lawyer and find a doctor you can trust.
Can we please stop suing everyone?

Where in my post did I say to sue them? It would be stupid of him to not do his due diligence and find out if anyone is responsible or if it is an unforseen side effects. Lighten up.

Is chelation treatment an option. This respected doctor in Miami, Gervais Lamas, Harvard trained FWIW, did a trial of chelation therapy versus placebo for cardiovascular disease funded by an NIH division exploring alternate therapies. Unexpectedly he found a benefit for those with prior MI and diabetes. He got funded for a 2nd trial to replicate the findings. Chelation removes metals such as cadmium from blood. His publications:

Had hip revision surgery Thursday. In a lot of pain. Took a shower today and it was an adventure and so was navigating the steps with a cain. Using a walker otherwise. Dr said revision would be more painful than the original surgery 16 years ago. I find that hard to believe since less invasive. Probably be a few weeks before I start feeling better.

Hope you feel better soon. It's only been 2 days, hopefully the pain will be a distant memory by the time Usher performs in LV.

Had hip revision surgery Thursday. In a lot of pain. Took a shower today and it was an adventure and so was navigating the steps with a cain. Using a walker otherwise. Dr said revision would be more painful than the original surgery 16 years ago. I find that hard to believe since less invasive. Probably be a few weeks before I start feeling better.
Hope you get to feeling better soon.

Did you get an attorney? You really should speak with a personal injury attorney if you didn't.

Yes, really.

I know JU said he didn't want to sue, but the average settlement for hip replacement lawsuits is $125k. That is substantial enough to at least inquire.

Really, who are you going after, some multi-million dollar (maybe billion dollar) medical device corporation. F them.

Oof, I just looked up DePuy. They made $2.1B in one quarter in 2022. Go see if you have a case.

Last edited:

Yes, really.

I know JU said he didn't want to sue, but the average settlement for hip replacement lawsuits is $125k. That is substantial enough to at least inquire.

Really, who are you going after, some multi-million dollar (maybe billion dollar) medical device corporation. F them.

Oof, I just looked up DePuy. They made $2.1B in one quarter in 2022. Go see if you have a case.
I certainly understand the sentiment towards large cooperations, but what are these lawsuits actually about? Are they claiming the device manufacturers knowingly put toxic stuff in their implants, or dragged their feet to recall, once the risk was identified?

I don’t know much about how device manufacturers may have shirked their responsibilities, but I know our health care costs a sh!t-ton relative to the rest of the world, and lawsuits add to that number. Presumably, there’s something amiss if settlements are common.

Hope you get to feeling better soon.
As do I. Treat yourself to something nice at the end of each week. You deserve it.

Yes, really.

I certainly understand the sentiment towards large cooperations, but what are these lawsuits actually about? Are they claiming the device manufacturers knowingly put toxic stuff in their implants, or dragged their feet to recall, once the risk was identified?

I don’t know much about how device manufacturers may have shirked their responsibilities, but I know our health care costs a sh!t-ton relative to the rest of the world, and lawsuits add to that number. Presumably, there’s something amiss if settlements are common.

The lawsuits claim that the metal on metal ASRP hips cause the metals to rub together and leave metal shavings in the surrounding tissue that causes the tissue to die. The lawsuits allege that DePuy knew of these issues for years and did nothing. Allegedly, internal documents from DePuy back up these claims, wherein, DePuy predicted that 2 in 5 patients would need revision surgery within 5 years. It is also possible (I haven't read the documents) that executives from their parent, Johnson & Johnson knew of the issues and kept the product on the market anyway.

Did you get an attorney? You really should speak with a personal injury attorney if you didn't.
No, the toxicity is low as it turns out and is common from what I’ve read. im not going to be one of those people. I don’t need the money should there be any.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread