What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Just had my eyes dilated... (1 Viewer)

Keerock

Footballguy
Any optometrists in the house?

As part of my annual eye exam they dilated my pupils. So uncomfortable/frustrating. Why can't someone invent a drop to constrict pupils?

As part of my annual eye exam they dilated my pupils. So uncomfortable/frustrating. Why can't someone invent a drop to constrict pupils?
My optometrist uses some air puff thing. I haven't had my eyes dilated in years.
My new one does the same thing... I switched to him because those drops drive me bonkers.

My optometrist uses some air puff thing. I haven't had my eyes dilated in years.
I thought this was standard practice now. I mean I'm given the option of either procedure, but that question is met with a pretty good laugh by all of us in the room. No one goes for the dilation anymore, unless you're a masochist.

One of my coworkers mentioned Optomap as an alternative that his optometrist uses. When I brought it up to mine, they said it doesn't do as thorough a job. Who was I to question?

Mine does the air puff thing for one exam by a technician but then they dilate my eyes for the exam from the optometrist. Could be because they thought I had a glaucoma risk (I just have large optic nerves) but I could be wrong and they dilate everyone. No idea.

I dont think I've ever had mine dialated. Coincidently, I had an eye exam yesterday. They did the numbing eyedrops/airpuff thing, and they did this new x-ray scan thing that was cool to see,

This is where dilation is preferred

These include patients with extremely small pupils, droopy eyelids, dementia, certain physical disabilities, and emergency eye conditions.

One of my coworkers mentioned Optomap as an alternative that his optometrist uses. When I brought it up to mine, they said it doesn't do as thorough a job. Who was I to question?
That just means he's too cheap to buy the machine.
Correct. Our opthamalogist said that for normal exams, the digital scan is better. It works to a high resolution and allows for easy comparisons over time.

I had my pupil dilated today also, but I had a vitrectomy yesterday. My retinologist had to be able to clearly view my retina, so dilation was necessary.

Had the the eyes dilated as well today. Was given the option of having the scan (they referred to it as having optic photos done), and that it wasn't covered on my insurance. Always gone with the dilation, it's usually over in an hour or so for me and my optometrist has had good luck in keeping a baseline on a retina issue I have. So I never really questioned it. :shrug:

Wife and I did this about 20 years ago. We felt like blind rats trapped in the mall. Never again.
It's about $40 for the Optiscan thingie. Go for it. The doc gets the info, and you don't have to be blind. We both loathe dilation. The scan is painless and non-annoying.

Sorry, I meant no more getting our eyes dialed the old fashioned way.

We did the Optiscan Thingie™️ too

Wife and I did this about 20 years ago. We felt like blind rats trapped in the mall. Never again.
It's about $40 for the Optiscan thingie. Go for it. The doc gets the info, and you don't have to be blind. We both loathe dilation. The scan is painless and non-annoying.

Sorry, I meant no more getting our eyes dialed the old fashioned way.

We did the Optiscan Thingie™️ too
It's the pro move.

Prescriptions only good for 1 year has to be one of the bigger rackets in the medical industry.

Luckily I have a guy who dgaf and will order my contacts without a prescription, just need the numbers on the box.
I have thought this also. But my eyes have progressively gotten worse, stabilized and now improving a little every year. Probably good to have annual checkup but prescription may or may not change.

Users who are viewing this thread