What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Kashmir. The greatest song ever? (1 Viewer)

dkp993

Footballguy
So I’ve been on a Zep kick lately (more then usual) and I find myself listening to Kashmir over and over again.  For me there’s no question it’s my favorite all-time Zepplin song but I’ve become convinced it might be the perfect song. The hook of the drumming, overall composition, restrained greatness on the guitar and powerful story-telling all weaved together so perfectly.  It’s music in its highest art form that sounds (and I believe will continue too) as fresh today as it did in 1975.  

What say you?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sfR_HWMzgyc

Probably not in my top 15 LZ songs and certainly not in top few hundred songs ever. Still good and unusual rock and roll tune. Plus, whenever it comes to making out...

I also think the Puff Daddy sample song from the Godzilla movie ruined a lot of it for me. 
Yeah not sure how I missed the puff version first time around, Just hearing it now for the first time but not feelin it.  

In my time of dying. Babe I'm gonna leave you. When the levee breaks. Heartbreaker/Livin Lovin Maid. Dancing Days. Black dog. Going to California. Gallows Pole. 

No brainers above this. It's in a pool behind them that depends on my mood. 

For a "greatest" designation you got the band correct but missed on the song  ;)

Kashmir is great but I don't think it makes top 15, possibly top 20 Zep.

For a "greatest" designation you got the band correct but missed on the song  ;)

Kashmir is great but I don't think it makes top 15, possibly top 20 Zep.
Really surprised by this (few others have said the same).  Totally get that music taste is subjective but not even top 15.  Wow. 

It's in my top 5 of sweaters 
Cashmere wool, usually simply known as cashmere, is a fiber obtained from cashmere goats and other types of goat. The word cashmere is an old spelling of  Kashmir, the geographical region in India.

Common usage defines the fiber as wool but it is finer and softer than sheep's wool. Cashmere is finer, stronger, lighter, softer, and approximately three times more insulating than sheep wool.[1]

Good choice of sweaters. Cashmere is the cat's meow. Or, goat's neigh, as it were.  

Last edited by a moderator:
So I’ve been on a Zep kick lately (more then usual) and I find myself listening to Kashmir over and over again.  For me there’s no question it’s my favorite all-time Zepplin song but I’ve become convinced it might be the perfect song. The hook of the drumming, overall composition, restrained greatness on the guitar and powerful story-telling all weaved together so perfectly.  It’s music in its highest art form that sounds (and I believe will continue too) as fresh today as it did in 1975.  

What say you?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sfR_HWMzgyc
No.

Not even they're best one. Great song though

I’m sick of Kashmir. I LOVE Led Zeppelin but I think Kashmir is so overrated. The same riff over and over for over 8 minutes. I honestly don’t get the hype especially when Zeppelin has SO many great songs with more creativity. 

I would actually start the debate that Runaway by Del Shannon is the greatest rock song ever, but I'd get booed from the room, I think. 

I don't know, there's something ethereal about Runaway. From the calliope and organ sounding noise, to his plaintive wail, to the lyrical content, it could be a punk forebearer in the fifties. Just a great examination of the stranger in town, as it were. 

I'ma walking in the rain/tears are falling and I feel the pain/wishing you were here by me/to end this misery and I wonder/I why-why-why-wonder/Why? Why why she ran away/and now I wonder, what I'll say/My little runaway, run-run-run-runaway

I got auto-corrected on this by the way. Heard the song a million times and know the lyrics by heart.  It's what "she will say," and there are five whys after the questioning why, but that's just for accuracies' sake and my own ego, really.  

Last edited by a moderator:
I can make a case that Kashmir is the song i'd take to a desert island . First off, it's in my top ten - hard, grand, complex, textured. Second, i don't think i would want a love song as my DI choice because it would just make me feel lonelier. This song is existential, a great song for getting oneself juiced for a task, kick out some angst, yell at God:

Oh, pilot of the storm who leaves no trace
Like thoughts inside a dream
Heed the path that led me to that place

PLUS, it's two songs. Like it or not Kashmir is so strong a song that it was actually subsidized by the withering attention of the entirely inadequate Puff Daddy. Uh-huh. YEEah. The rap is at once soooo bad but so true to the building drama of the song that a white boy would have no problem yelling some Kash-mad come-with-me rhymes at toucans, turtles, horizonal mirages, Davy Jones, surf, God, civilization, whatever. Ima be yellin some #### to dat. nufced.

I would actually start the debate that Runaway by Del Shannon is the greatest rock song ever, but I'd get booed from the room, I think. 

I don't know, there's something ethereal about Runaway. From the calliope and organ sounding noise, to his plaintive wail, to the lyrical content, it could be a punk forebearer in the fifties. Just a great examination of the stranger in town, as it were. 

I'ma walking in the rain/tears are falling and I feel the pain/wishing you were here by me/to end this misery and I wonder/I why-why-why-wonder/Why? Why why she ran away/and now I wonder, what I'll say/My little runaway, run-run-run-runaway
No argument here. 

Users who are viewing this thread