What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Keep an eye on Cory Boyd (1 Viewer)

Cecil Lammey

Footballguy
anyone that listens to the show knows that I've been down on Boyd with the Broncos. I always talk about how he would be better as a pass catching FB, etc. Well so far he has impressed the staff and may get in alot against Carolina, speculation he may start???

It's going to be some sort of committee, maybe Young comes back - maybe he doesn't, but I know the Broncos LOVED the way they could run with Hillis, now it may be time for another 7th round RB.

with coach Shanahan you just never know...

Last edited by a moderator:
I would think they would give him some looks. Tatum is not an every down back and is not a good short yardage back. Hopefully Boyd does something with his opportunity.

I would think they would give him some looks. Tatum is not an every down back and is not a good short yardage back. Hopefully Boyd does something with his opportunity.
he's been making people look silly on the 1st team D while running on the scout team. we saw him at the Shrine Game in Houston earlier this year, and once in a while he would show some pop. they did play him a little at FB as well as HB, and he has very good hands.The Broncos are going to continue to try and pound it the way they did with Hillis. Boyd is the only one that fits that mold.

he's been making people look silly on the 1st team D while running on the scout team. we saw him at the Shrine Game in Houston earlier this year, and once in a while he would show some pop. they did play him a little at FB as well as HB, and he has very good hands.The Broncos are going to continue to try and pound it the way they did with Hillis. Boyd is the only one that fits that mold.
Remember, this is the Broncos run defense you're talking about.

I hope so. I like how they are able to spread the defense and run right at the nickel formation with a power back. I thought the running game was just starting to hit its stride with Hillis in there. Plus I still am not sold on Tatum Bell. I still remember him fumbling his way out of town his first time around.

Cecil this is why we love you. A tidbit like this for a Brandon Jacobs owner could be the difference maker.

To any of you skeptics, remember never would have thought Hillis was good either before it was too late.

Cecil this is why we love you. A tidbit like this for a Brandon Jacobs owner could be the difference maker.To any of you skeptics, remember never would have thought Hillis was good either before it was too late.
I liked Hillis before his start. :P

I took the plunge! Due to limited roster space, I waived Plaxico for Boyd!!

If it works out, great... but with no value for Plex this year, it was a no brainer!!

I drafted Cory Boyd in a couple of dynasty rookie drafts.

Dropped him early, but I'm happy to see him back on the radar.

I think this kid has the tools, and now he may have the opportunity.

Was hoping to use Tatum this week in a league where I'm behind the 8-ball due to injuries. This news definitely tempers my expectations for him and will be looking for another option now. Just wish Boyd could be that option, but it sounds like a huge gamble.

We all know Shanny won't tip his hat before game time, so my guess is Tatum still gets the start and Young and Boyd are mixed in sparingly. Boyd will probably have a shot at being the goalline back and if they like what they see from him they might stick with him... Depending on how the other two are doing.

Going to grab with from the WW on the off chance that I actually win this playoff game AND Boyd actually does well this week and looks like he might get the start next week.

Was hoping to use Tatum this week in a league where I'm behind the 8-ball due to injuries. This news definitely tempers my expectations for him and will be looking for another option now. Just wish Boyd could be that option, but it sounds like a huge gamble. We all know Shanny won't tip his hat before game time, so my guess is Tatum still gets the start and Young and Boyd are mixed in sparingly. Boyd will probably have a shot at being the goalline back and if they like what they see from him they might stick with him... Depending on how the other two are doing.Going to grab with from the WW on the off chance that I actually win this playoff game AND Boyd actually does well this week and looks like he might get the start next week.
Banking on Boyd to do anything of substance this week is obviously a HUGE gamble.I picked him up in multiple leagues more as a dynasty stash.His performance in the next 2 games will determine his off season value.He may present some decent off season trade bait if he rocks the house these next 2 weeks.

Last edited by a moderator:
interesting, but I don't see any speculation he'll start. Like I said in the other Boyd thread, it says he'll get his chance at his 1st carries.

I have to go with Tatum Bell this week, so I am bias...wish I would have saw this earlier today

the article that they link to from the Post, only says
Rookie running back Cory Boyd goes from being on the practice squad to getting the chance for his first NFL carry in Sunday's game against the Carolina Panthers
not sure how anyone can say Boyd is the starter based off the information presented?
The caption for the picture of this article:http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_11190532

used to say: "Rookie running back Cory Boyd goes from being on the practice squad starting in Sunday's game against the Carolina Panthers. "

which has set the message boards aflame. The post has since changed this to:

"Rookie running back Cory Boyd goes from being on the practice squad to getting the chance for his first NFL carry in Sunday's game against the Carolina Panthers. "

and the post also put this up:

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_11197493

so I'm assuming they got tons of emails on the topic.

the article that they link to from the Post, only says
Rookie running back Cory Boyd goes from being on the practice squad to getting the chance for his first NFL carry in Sunday's game against the Carolina Panthers
not sure how anyone can say Boyd is the starter based off the information presented?
The caption for the picture of this article:http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_11190532

used to say: "Rookie running back Cory Boyd goes from being on the practice squad starting in Sunday's game against the Carolina Panthers. "

which has set the message boards aflame. The post has since changed this to:

"Rookie running back Cory Boyd goes from being on the practice squad to getting the chance for his first NFL carry in Sunday's game against the Carolina Panthers. "

and the post also put this up:

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_11197493

so I'm assuming they got tons of emails on the topic.
Probably that reporter who got fooled by Samual L. Jackson in Resurrecting the Champ.

Countdown 'till Tater steals Boyd's playbook...3...2...1...

As a Cutler / Marshall / Scheffler owner playing all 3 this week, this RB mess makes me :goodposting:

anyone that listens to the show knows that I've been down on Boyd with the Broncos. I always talk about how he would be better as a pass catching FB, etc. Well so far he has impressed the staff and may get in alot against Carolina, speculation he may start???

It's going to be some sort of committee, maybe Young comes back - maybe he doesn't, but I know the Broncos LOVED the way they could run with Hillis, now it may be time for another 7th round RB.

with coach Shanahan you just never know...
Good call, bro.Good thing I wrote him up this week in Dynasty Watch!!!!!

By the way, the only way to handle Denver RBs...

1. Pick up latest name that gets dropped (or the 2nd back)

2. Wait for Shanahan to spin the wheel and get his name inserted into the lineup

3. Trade the new "starter"

4. Repeat.

Yo Cec,What do you make of the Steve Baylark signing?He looked decent in his brief stay in Arizona's TC....
Baylark is another Shrine Game RB on the Broncos roster (he was there the same year as Selvin, Boyd was there in '08)Never say never with Denver backs, but I can't see Baylark sticking around. he could surprise - you just never know. based on what I saw at the Shrine Game 2 years ago, and based off his Cardinals experience I just don't see enough explosiveness/decisiveness for him to be a factor. we all know that in Denver you MUST be decisive above all else, stick your foot in the ground and GO!

Cecil,

Any thoughts on another rb in SF getting called up to the big leagues off the practice squad, K States Thomas Clayton?

ROCKET said:
Cecil,Any thoughts on another rb in SF getting called up to the big leagues off the practice squad, K States Thomas Clayton?
Love Thomas Clayton, and according to recent articles so does Mike Martz. we got to see Clayton at the Senior Bowl 2 years ago when he was an injury replacement. He started at FSU, had trouble, then transferred to Kansas State - and had more trouble. On the field he runs with a good pad level, has a good quick initial burst, and has good instincts for running the football. I like he a whole lot more than DeShaun Foster, hopefully we see him in action.

Jeff Pasquino said:
By the way, the only way to handle Denver RBs...1. Pick up latest name that gets dropped (or the 2nd back)2. Wait for Shanahan to spin the wheel and get his name inserted into the lineup3. Trade the new "starter"4. Repeat.
Selvin and Hillis lost their starting job due to injuries.

Jeff Pasquino said:
By the way, the only way to handle Denver RBs...

1. Pick up latest name that gets dropped (or the 2nd back)

2. Wait for Shanahan to spin the wheel and get his name inserted into the lineup

3. Trade the new "starter" before he gets hurt

4. Repeat.
Selvin and Hillis lost their starting job due to injuries.
Step 3 fixed. :thumbdown:

Here's some more info on the Denver situation:

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_11200806

Cory Boyd, recently promoted from the practice squad, got the longest look during practice Wednesday with Tatum Bell and Selvin Young mixing in and P.J. Pope mostly watching from the sideline.

On Thursday, Boyd mostly stood by while Pope shared plays with Bell and Young. The Broncos play at 10-3 Carolina on Sunday.
Looks like Bell and Young are in, and either Pope or Boyd will be #3. Caveat Emptor.

Cory Boyd, recently promoted from the practice squad, got the longest look during practice Wednesday with Tatum Bell and Selvin Young mixing in and P.J. Pope mostly watching from the sideline.

On Thursday, Boyd mostly stood by while Pope shared plays with Bell and Young. The Broncos play at 10-3 Carolina on Sunday.
Looks like Bell and Young are in, and either Pope or Boyd will be #3. Caveat Emptor.
If Boyd started it wouldn't surprise me, if Boyd was inactive it wouldn't surprise me. You just never know with coach Shanahan.

If Boyd started it wouldn't surprise me, if Boyd was inactive it wouldn't surprise me. You just never know with coach Shanahan.
So if Boyd actually does start do you think it's safe to consider him a decent RB2 option?At this point, if Tatum starts it'll probably end up RBBC anyway and I'd think his value would be limited. But if they give Boyd the nod then I'm inclined to read that as a sign of faith in the rookie and that he'll be getting the lion's share of the carries. Reading too much into things?

So if Boyd actually does start do you think it's safe to consider him a decent RB2 option?At this point, if Tatum starts it'll probably end up RBBC anyway and I'd think his value would be limited. But if they give Boyd the nod then I'm inclined to read that as a sign of faith in the rookie and that he'll be getting the lion's share of the carries. Reading too much into things?
Boyd against Carolina is almost like Home Coming for him!! Being a South Carolina Gamecock, he will certainly have family/friends at the game..talk about motivation for him to shine!! It would be a major reach to expect RB2 value from him until we know more (like how many touches he is expected to get). IMO, I see him more of a RB3/Flex option. I have to decide between him and Caddy or S Holmes as my final starter.....Boyd is my least favorite option right now.

Cecil Lammey said:

Indeed. The DP has gone back and forth so many times it's hilarious.http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_11227363

For the reasons you outlined in your original post, I picked up Boyd (Bell was already picked up, but Young was still available). The speed types don't seem to be getting it done in Denver this season, whereas the more downhill types like Hillis and Pittman have had success.

Broncos waived RB Cory Boyd.

Boyd lasted six days on the roster and was in street clothes for Sunday's loss. He has practice squad eligibility, but the Broncos don't believe Boyd is as capable of helping them as P.J. Pope, Tatum Bell, or Selvin Young. | 12/15/2008 5:10:00 PM

Source: Rocky Mountain News

I kept a eye on him a little when he was with the Bucs. I don't recall hearing too many great things about him, and Clifton Smith made the team over him. I think an injury could have set him back a little, not too sure.

I kept a eye on him a little when he was with the Bucs. I don't recall hearing too many great things about him, and Clifton Smith made the team over him. I think an injury could have set him back a little, not too sure.
Wasn't Boyd the guy who got in a fistfight (with Talib IIRC) during the rookie orientation at the Hall of Fame before the season started?My memory does often fail me, but something like this happened.

Broncos waived RB Cory Boyd. Boyd lasted six days on the roster and was in street clothes for Sunday's loss. He has practice squad eligibility, but the Broncos don't believe Boyd is as capable of helping them as P.J. Pope, Tatum Bell, or Selvin Young. | 12/15/2008 5:10:00 PM Source: Rocky Mountain News
lolShanny is sooo going to overpay for a RB so he doesn't go thru this again. Oh it might not be a great one(with Torrain and Hillis around) but, the Broncos will be overpaying.

Wasn't Boyd the guy who got in a fistfight (with Talib IIRC) during the rookie orientation at the Hall of Fame before the season started?My memory does often fail me, but something like this happened.
you are correct.....and he did have a knee injury that must have been more serious than expected. watched him play college ball and never expected him to be a major RB but thought he could contribute in some way and make a team.

Users who are viewing this thread