What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ken Stabler has passed away (1 Viewer)

My favorite non Bronco player. R.I.P. Probably in my top 5 favorite players of all time.

Last edited by a moderator:
@tomhanks: Goodbye Kenny Stabler, QB for the Oakland Raiders, who showed how cool it was to be cool under pressure. Go deep, baby. Hanx.

Working from home today and on NFL Network they have NFL Classic Games on. It was supposed to be CHI vs. MIN game but they are showing OAK (with Stabler) vs. MIA instead. Stabler was before my time so I am enjoying watching him play right now.
:thumbup:

I cut out the filler. This is the best 8 minutes.

:chills:
If that doesn't give you goose bumps you're not human.
I still remember this game vividly back from the days when I lived and died with the Raiders each week. Stabler was one of my top sports heroes of all time.

Good story from John McClain on the radio. Went something like this:

It was one time in November, Stabler didn't show up for a practice with the Oilers. Nobody knew where he was, couldn't find him. Then the next day, he shows up to practice like normal. Doesn't say anything about it. I guess he finally gets asked "where were you yesterday?" Then he let's out something like "Well, yesterday was Veterans Day, and....I'm a veteran. So i gave myself the day off."

NREC34 said:
Godsbrother said:
Great player. Loved rooting against him!

Belongs in HOF in my opinion
Nah, only enough room in the Hall for one Alabama guy with more ints than tds.
Stabler had a .719 winning percentage with Oakland during the 70s. The game was different then and stats don't tell the whole story. Not sure if you watched the NFL back then but those that did know what I mean.

I met Stabler in Galveston circa ~1981.

I was eight years old on a family vacation to see an army buddy of my father's in Texas. My father's buddy and his family and my family go out to eat at a fancy restaurant. The waitress says that Kenny Stabler is in the lounge. I ask my dad, 'can I meet him?'. He says sure, but get an autograph and take his buddy's daughter with me (she was a year younger than me).

So off I go and meet the Snake at a lounge in a Galveston restaurant. Upon entry, he's at the bar with a couple of blond women, getting his drink on. I walk up and ask for an autograph. He says 'you bet' and asks if the girl with me is my girlfriend. I wrinkle my nose and answer no. He says, 'don't worry, plenty of time for that'.

Somewhere in my parents house is that autograph. RIP Snake.

NREC34 said:
Godsbrother said:

Stabler deserves to be in the HOF more than Joe Namath, who is vastly overrated. Namath was made on Jan 12, 1969, Stabler was made from over a decade of excellence.

Nonetheless, I'd like to see Stabler in there. His story was a huge part of the 70's, and his play was more than good enough that it shouldn't drag that factor down.

NREC34 said:
Godsbrother said:

Stabler deserves to be in the HOF more than Joe Namath, who is vastly overrated. Namath was made on Jan 12, 1969, Stabler was made from over a decade of excellence.
Those grapes, sour are they?
No, just the truth. I think most know this. I wouldn't call Namath's numbers hall of fame worthy and that one game and his off the field glitter made the man.

NREC34 said:
Godsbrother said:

It's thinking like this that's made America what it is today. Great job. :mellow:

I can't talk about this rationally because the guy was my favorite player of all-time. I think he deserves to be in but I can understand those who don't believe it.

Peter King gives a pretty good case for why he shouldn't. And he thinks Namath should be. I for one think Stabler was far, far superior.

Former Raider coach Tom Flores compares Stabler with Bob Griese (who's also in). People say "Of course Griese is in. Those Dolphin teams were great."

Yes, they were but that greatness didn't have much to do with Bob Griese. Earl Morrall, anyone?

Here are Flores' thoughts:

http://www.ibabuzz.com/oaklandraiders/2015/07/10/making-a-case-for-ken-stabler-in-the-hall-of-fame/

JohnnyU said:
Freelove said:
NREC34 said:
Godsbrother said:

No, just the truth. I think most know this. I wouldn't call Namath's numbers hall of fame worthy and that one game and his off the field glitter made the man.
Namath's numbers are as Hall worthy as Stabler. In fact, the most rotten numbers posted by either were the post-1978 interception stats by Stabler. His TD:INT ratio should have been good after the rules changes of 1978 but somehow it got worse. Stabler's years from 1973-77 are top notch but he was not good after that. You can call him mediocre at best after that impressive 5-year run. You could also call him bad.

Namath was good from 1965-69 and 1972. He was mediocre in 1974. Every other year was a partial year. So if you follow there is really only one full season by Namath where, if you are being fair, you could call him mediocre or maybe even bad if you are a hard marker. Stabler, on the other hand, has multiple sketchy seasons.

I really do not want to get into a debate here but I had to respond because you were making Namath out to be a bum. The difference between the two is more like the difference between Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers than it is Tom Brady to Jon Kitna.

Does anybody have a clue on why Doctor Z had violent fits whenever the name of Stabler and Canton were brought up? Was this something personal? Years after he retired I found he looked like an old 50 to 60 something maybe the partying and womanizing lifestyle caught up to him. Anyway RIP!

JohnnyU said:
Freelove said:
NREC34 said:
Godsbrother said:

Namath's numbers are as Hall worthy as Stabler. In fact, the most rotten numbers posted by either were the post-1978 interception stats by Stabler. His TD:INT ratio should have been good after the rules changes of 1978 but somehow it got worse.Stabler's years from 1973-77 are top notch but he was not good after that. You can call him mediocre at best after that impressive 5-year run. You could also call him bad.

Namath was good from 1965-69 and 1972. He was mediocre in 1974. Every other year was a partial year. So if you follow there is really only one full season by Namath where, if you are being fair, you could call him mediocre or maybe even bad if you are a hard marker. Stabler, on the other hand, has multiple sketchy seasons.

I really do not want to get into a debate here but I had to respond because you were making Namath out to be a bum. The difference between the two is more like the difference between Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers than it is Tom Brady to Jon Kitna.
Namath wasn't a bum, but I think he's in the HOF because of that one game. I feel Stabler had a better overall career and if Namath is in the HOF Stabler sure as hell should be.

JohnnyU said:
Freelove said:
NREC34 said:
Godsbrother said:

Namath's numbers are as Hall worthy as Stabler. In fact, the most rotten numbers posted by either were the post-1978 interception stats by Stabler. His TD:INT ratio should have been good after the rules changes of 1978 but somehow it got worse.Stabler's years from 1973-77 are top notch but he was not good after that. You can call him mediocre at best after that impressive 5-year run. You could also call him bad.

Namath wasn't a bum, but I think he's in the HOF because of that one game. I feel Stabler had a better overall career and if Namath is in the HOF Stabler sure as hell should be.
Stabler at his peak is better than most Hall of Famers. If he had to retire in 1978 or 1979, he would be in the Hall of Fame now because he'd be like a QB version of Gale Sayers.

If we really look at Stabler's career in totality we can see it is the Oilers and Saints years that have caused him to not be inducted (yet).

Does anybody have a clue on why Doctor Z had violent fits whenever the name of Stabler and Canton were brought up? Was this something personal? Years after he retired I found he looked like an old 50 to 60 something maybe the partying and womanizing lifestyle caught up to him. Anyway RIP!
There's a poorly-sourced rumor (doesn't mean it's not true, but I've only seen it in PFT comments and Yahoo answers) about Snake's friends planting drugs in the car of Z's friend.

Z's book includes quotes from former teammates being critical of Snake's effort and commitment.

http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/02/29/a-deeper-look-at-the-stabler-hall-of-fame-debate/?_r=0

How could Stabler’s skills have eroded so quickly? Injuries, yes, but it was more than that. “I always admired the absolute disdain he showed for the other team, for the guys rushing him, even when they got to him,” said Pat Toomay, one of Stabler’s training camp roommates in Oakland. “It’s like they weren’t even worth thinking about. But then after being around him for a while I had different feelings. The way he lived… the lack of effort he put into his job… well, I just couldn’t respect it.” (Paul Zimmerman, “The New Thinking Man’s Guide to Pro Football”, Simon and Schuster, 1984)

Or this, from the Hall of Fame tight end Dave Casper, Stabler’s teammate for eight seasons, in Oakland and Houston:

He set coaching back 50 years. He knows everything there is to know on a football field, but when they give him his game plan on Wednesday he probably takes it and throws it in the waste basket. No one ever suspected how little he knew about the game plan on a particular week. He’s fooled ’em all his life and he continues to fool ’em… I don’t think he ever cared about losing. Winning is fine. Losing? So what? He’d rather win the gamble and force a pass in there. A bluffer, a gambler… he’d rather do it the hard way. (Zimmerman)
My guess is that maybe it turned a bit personal over the years, but that Z's big problem is Snake's lack of dedication to his craft. A lot of guys whored and boozed and still found plenty of time to work at football. Sounds like Snake went above and beyond at blowing stuff off, not that there's necessarily anything wrong with that. But supremely-talented guys that don't work that hard are pretty big targets for criticism.

"And yet Stabler’s list of accomplishments suggests that his Hall of Fame case is strong. He was voted the Associated Press NFL Most Valuable Player in 1974, and he easily could have won the award in 1976, when he led the league in passer rating, touchdown passes, yards per pass and completion percentage while also leading a league-high four fourth-quarter comebacks and five game-winning drives (Bert Jones won the MVP). He finished in the Top 10 in the NFL in passing yards, completion percentage and touchdown passes every year from 1973 to 1979.

"Stabler’s passing numbers look pedestrian today, but they need to be considered within the historical context. In 1976, Stabler completed 66.7 percent of his passes, which at the time was stunning: Stabler was the only quarterback in the pre-1980s NFL to complete 65 percent of his passes in a season in which he attempted at least 250 passes. In 1976, when Stabler led the league with a passer rating of 103.4, the league average passer rating was 63.6. By way of comparison, last year, Tony Romo’s league average passer rating was 113.2, less than 10 points higher than Stabler’s in 1976. But the league-average passer rating last year was 88.9, more than 25 points higher than in 1976."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/07/10/ken-stabler-deserves-another-look-from-the-hall-of-fame/

Users who are viewing this thread