What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Kenny Britt (2 Viewers)

I think he fits best in Carolina.
Who is the strong veteran presence, player or coaching staff, to get in Britt's head and turn him around?Cam gonna teach him the Superman?
Turn what around? Lets see what happens when coaches stop jacking with him, put him as the #1, and actually call some plays for him.I am betting his head will be just fine in that scenario.
I thought he was treated fairly in TEN.

No one wants to blame him but at the same time, look at Britt's production, dedication, and work ethic since he played with Moss.

I have little doubt that he wasn't offered a contract because other team's paused and wanted to think on it. It's not normal for a player to openly say nope I don't want to work out extra, I don't want to stay late and watch tape, don't want to show up on days off to hit the weights, don't want to hang with the other WRs and get an extra workout in at a local park either. Most NFL players are gym rats. When he's spoken about it, it makes sense. You make him workout so many hours a day, seems normal to want some "me time" and/or some time to do something else. It does seem a bit much to learn Manning is at a team's facility from 7am til 9pm. Again, the NFL is full of gym rats though so I think it's a safe guess that these three teams wanted to pause and think about it.

The biggest problem with Britt isn't arrests or attendance but drops. The ball came right to him so many times and he dropped it. He's always been a player capable of plucking the ball out of thin air, but drops the gimmes. Supposedly he doesn't drop anything in practice which leads everyone to consider it focus or concentration on gameday. His potential is there, no doubt, but you can't take for granted that he has to actually catch the ball.

Good post but I disagree. Tenn coaches shot themselves in the foot.
IMO it was pretty clear that he probably didn't get a completely fair shake last year as far as playing time goes -- they obviously just decided to move on. Blaming that entirely on the coaching staff vs Britt is where I disagree. Whatever he is or isn't off of the field, on the field he's been a turd for two years running. That's my concern as a Britt owner -- the arrests, character issues, whatever else is no big deal -- he ripped stuff up in 2010 - 2011 despite being a huge punk. The fact that he's looked like a totally different guy in 2012 - 2013 is a GIANT red flag.

Good post but I disagree. Tenn coaches shot themselves in the foot.
IMO it was pretty clear that he probably didn't get a completely fair shake last year as far as playing time goes -- they obviously just decided to move on. Blaming that entirely on the coaching staff vs Britt is where I disagree. Whatever he is or isn't off of the field, on the field he's been a turd for two years running. That's my concern as a Britt owner -- the arrests, character issues, whatever else is no big deal -- he ripped stuff up in 2010 - 2011 despite being a huge punk. The fact that he's looked like a totally different guy in 2012 - 2013 is a GIANT red flag.
Except we all know he had lingering knee issues and a second surgery. From there he was punked by Tenn coaches in a contract year. I also think he gets a larger contract than most think on a one or two year prove it deal.

Rotoworld:

Free agent Kenny Britt's player rep says he receiving interest from the Bills and Panthers, and may soon schedule visits.
Britt has already visited the Patriots, Redskins and Rams. Britt's rep says he'll most likely play on a short-term deal, and that playing time is the "most important" factor. Those may be Britt's public words, but the fact that he's already left three teams without a deal suggests money isn't exactly a minor factor. Britt has the right idea in seeking a short-team deal, however. His value will never be lower, and he could rehab it with a nice 2014.

Related: Bills, Panthers

Source: Alex Marvez on Twitter

Rotoworld:

Free agent Kenny Britt's player rep says he receiving interest from the Bills and Panthers, and may soon schedule visits.

Britt has already visited the Patriots, Redskins and Rams. Britt's rep says he'll most likely play on a short-term deal, and that playing time is the "most important" factor. Those may be Britt's public words, but the fact that he's already left three teams without a deal suggests money isn't exactly a minor factor. Britt has the right idea in seeking a short-team deal, however. His value will never be lower, and he could rehab it with a nice 2014.

Considering what I expected of Britt not so long ago that is sad to hear.

I want to see him in Carolina, & then I am hoping they draft Kelvin Benjamin. From the games I watched of Benjamin, the dude has GREAT hands, always making GREAT catches... its like he has glue on his gloves.

But with Benjamin being Cam's GO-TO WR for the next 5-10 years, I could NOT complain.
Going to be a BEAST move if they land both of them. Not even fair. Cam needs a 6'5" 245 LB WR like Calvin to throw to..!

Rotoworld:

Considering what I expected of Britt not so long ago that is sad to hear.
What do you mean?

Rotoworld:

Free agent Kenny Britt will visit the Bills "shortly," perhaps on Friday.
The Bills and Panthers are the latest teams to show interest in the 25-year-old after he visited with the Rams, Patriots, and Redskins the past week. In Buffalo, Britt would compete for a job alongside Stevie Johnson and Robert Woods. Playing with an erratic E.J. Manuel might not be best for rehabbing Britt's value.

Related: Bills

Source: NFL.com

I think any team that signs him does so very cautiously, on a low risk contract, considers him a complementary player, and anything above that is a bonus. No one (including Carolina) signs him with the idea he'll be a 80 catch #1 guy. His track record has been too long and too lousy on a variety of fronts. Times where he's come to camp fat and out of shape, lack of work ethic rehabbing injuries, all the arrests -- these character issues don't just suddenly disappear and a guy grows up all at once. He'll have to demonstrate he's done some growing up in 2014 for whatever team takes a chance on him or he'll be out of chances very soon. Good luck to fantasy owners who are holding out hope for a turnaround. I hope it happens and that he gets his life and career together. I'm pretty skeptical though, because for a lot of guys they are who they are, and it doesn't change no matter what the incentive or consequences.

I think he fits best in Carolina.
Who is the strong veteran presence, player or coaching staff, to get in Britt's head and turn him around?Cam gonna teach him the Superman?
Turn what around? Lets see what happens when coaches stop jacking with him, put him as the #1, and actually call some plays for him.I am betting his head will be just fine in that scenario.
Yeah. It would be cool if the coaches stop arresting him and stabbing his friends. I really can't believe they'd want to do that to one of their players. It's just dumb.
Some other dude was arrested for the stabbing. It is not illegal to decline talking to the police.What do arrests have to do with targets? If he did something wrong he would be suspended. If he is healthy and not suspended, throw him the football. It was a political coaching decision to bench him.
What does this have to do with anything? He's a screw up, and he isn't that good on top of that. There are no politics involved here.

Britt being a screw up off the field means zero. Britt playing like he has a 60 year old's knees the last two years means everything. I'm holding out the slightest glimmer of hope that he's just taking longer to recover than most d/t lazy rehab -- but I'm not holding my breath.

Can someone knock him out and drag him to Charlotte ASAP? Why has he visited every freaking team except the team that needs a WR the most? 130 targets from Cam to his new 6'3'', 220 WR1 would do both sides very well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LX9C9LyCGxU

These highlights are pretty dope but so old he's got Kerry Collins and Vince Young throwing to him. How the Titans could not make it work with guys as athletic as VY/CJ/Britt/Cook, I'll never know. I guess they were never healthy, not arrested, and not suicidal for long enough.

Last edited by a moderator:
Britt being a screw up off the field means zero. Britt playing like he has a 60 year old's knees the last two years means everything. I'm holding out the slightest glimmer of hope that he's just taking longer to recover than most d/t lazy rehab -- but I'm not holding my breath.
In Kenny Britt's case, it means quite a bit.

Care to unpack that a bit? Despite being double digits deep on arrests / incidents he's been suspended a grand total of one game in his career. Being a moron didn't stop him from beasting in 2010 & 2011. If he can still run, jump, & catch a football better than 99.99% of the human beings on the planet, then he'll have a job moving forward and produce. If he can't do those things anymore due to the multiple knee surgeries, then he won't. His FF value hinges entirely on where he is physically. The league likes to pay lip service to things like character, integrity, and protecting the shield, but the number and length of actual suspensions handed out tells an entirely different story. Helping a team win, sell jerseys, and put butts in the seats trumps bad PR, and does so in a landslide.

Care to unpack that a bit? Despite being double digits deep on arrests / incidents he's been suspended a grand total of one game in his career. Being a moron didn't stop him from beasting in 2010 & 2011. If he can still run, jump, & catch a football better than 99.99% of the human beings on the planet, then he'll have a job moving forward and produce. If he can't do those things anymore due to the multiple knee surgeries, then he won't. His FF value hinges entirely on where he is physically. The league likes to pay lip service to things like character, integrity, and protecting the shield, but the number and length of actual suspensions handed out tells an entirely different story. Helping a team win, sell jerseys, and put butts in the seats trumps bad PR, and does so in a landslide.
The aspects of his personality that affect him getting in trouble on the regular also affect his professional performance. If you disagree with that, there's nothing else to say.

To you Britt owners, what would you say if pick 4.03 was thrown at you for Britt in a full IDP dynasty league with PPR and 47-man rosters?

Can someone knock him out and drag him to Charlotte ASAP? Why has he visited every freaking team except the team that needs a WR the most? 130 targets from Cam to his new 6'3'', 220 WR1 would do both sides very well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LX9C9LyCGxU

These highlights are pretty dope but so old he's got Kerry Collins and Vince Young throwing to him. How the Titans could not make it work with guys as athletic as VY/CJ/Britt/Cook, I'll never know. I guess they were never healthy, not arrested, and not suicidal for long enough.
I think the book is out on Cook. He's not what we thought he was, that's all. He's not that good.

My thing with Britt is, what is he doing RIGHT NOW, right this moment (besides his FA tour)? Is he out lifting, running sprints like a dog, doing ballet, hitting the steps or a huge hill, doing gasers, running JUGS machine in his backyard till his Neumanns are worn out or stretching with a pro trainer every day to stay ahead of the TC grind. I bet you he's not and hasn't been hitting it that hard. Don't get me wrong I'm not either, but I'm at my desk typing this on a FF message board right now. I just think when it comes down to it, he'll never have that drive that's needed and it will always be something or another. I hope not, but these patterns are a bad sign for any real success in my opinion.

I think any team that signs him does so very cautiously, on a low risk contract, considers him a complementary player, and anything above that is a bonus. No one (including Carolina) signs him with the idea he'll be a 80 catch #1 guy. His track record has been too long and too lousy on a variety of fronts. Times where he's come to camp fat and out of shape, lack of work ethic rehabbing injuries, all the arrests -- these character issues don't just suddenly disappear and a guy grows up all at once. He'll have to demonstrate he's done some growing up in 2014 for whatever team takes a chance on him or he'll be out of chances very soon. Good luck to fantasy owners who are holding out hope for a turnaround. I hope it happens and that he gets his life and career together. I'm pretty skeptical though, because for a lot of guys they are who they are, and it doesn't change no matter what the incentive or consequences.
I think you are wrong. If that were the case, why are so many teams expressing interest in him? They obviously see him as a player who, though risky, offers the possibility of being a featured WR. Despite his questions, he is the best WR still on the market.

The main negotiations right now with Britt concerns his playing time. He wants a team to commit to him and I think he will reciprocate. Lets hope he is both mentally and physically committed.I traded for Britt in my only dynasty league after his week 1-2 performance in 2010. Three days later he shredded his knee. I believe that Kenny Britt would have ended that year as a top five receiver.

If you hold this guy in dynasty then you believe in his abilities on the field. The guy has gronk paws, flashed when he was getting looks from decent qb's, and says he is healthy right now.

I don't like him much, but this year I think he controls his destiny. He is a buy in dynasty and I think he ends up in a good situation like the Panthers.

Rotoworld:

Free agent Kenny Britt said he expects to make a decision on where to sign "in a couple days."
Britt is visiting with the Bills on Friday, and has previously met with the Rams, Patriots, and Redskins. Given his history of injuries and off-field issues, he shouldn't command more than a short-term deal with little guaranteed money. The Panthers have also shown interest in Britt, but have yet to schedule a visit.

Related: Bills, Panthers, Patriots, Rams

Source: ESPN Boston

There are no politics involved here.
You have no idea if this is true.
You don't know if it's untrue. But you injected it into your theory with confidence.
Playing time is determined by coaches. His lack of playing time had nothing to do with sucking.
he dropped MANY passes right to him. If ever it was obvious that someone didn't watch a player play-it's you and Britt in 2013.

Britt has only had one good game since tearing his knee the 3rd game of 2011.

Last year in a contract year he dropped 7 out his 33 targets, catching only 33%.

He doesn't take football seriously and will never be a consistent fantasy WR.

I think you are wrong. If that were the case, why are so many teams expressing interest in him? They obviously see him as a player who, though risky, offers the possibility of being a featured WR. Despite his questions, he is the best WR still on the market.
His post seems too general to be wrong, really can't follow your reasoning there. He seems dead on to me.

Britt has always had a wealth of talent-no doubt every team wants to see that, especially after his knee injuries.

He hasn't left all these places with giant contract offers where every team is begging him to come there. There's not many reports of these teams offering him a contract even. If you go back and re-read the articles, few of them have offered him a contract.

I would guess that how Britt answers the job interview Qs is whether teams want him or not. I doubt it has much to do with talent or ability.

Commitment and dedication and great work ethic have never been used to describe Britt. I would hazard a guess that this is the first March in the last so many years that he is still in great shape.

The followup to the interview has to be that the GM, owner, personnel guy, turns to the coach and asks if they think they can coach and motivate Britt based on those responses.

Imagine being an NFL GM and you have an interview to gauge whether to sign a guy with a checkered past. Don't you agree his responses would be vital to this process?

You need to stop drinking the koolaid. Britt is a complete moron, who also isn't a very good football player. He will go to whichever team offers him the most money and nothing else will come in to play.

I would reframe that to Britt is a complete moron who is also talented on the football field but then got hurt and is still a complete moron making it less important that he was/is a talented football player. He is now back to show me status in my book or late round flier.

His post seems too general to be wrong, really can't follow your reasoning there. He seems dead on to me.

Britt has always had a wealth of talent-no doubt every team wants to see that, especially after his knee injuries.

He hasn't left all these places with giant contract offers where every team is begging him to come there. There's not many reports of these teams offering him a contract even. If you go back and re-read the articles, few of them have offered him a contract.

I would guess that how Britt answers the job interview Qs is whether teams want him or not. I doubt it has much to do with talent or ability.

Commitment and dedication and great work ethic have never been used to describe Britt. I would hazard a guess that this is the first March in the last so many years that he is still in great shape.

The followup to the interview has to be that the GM, owner, personnel guy, turns to the coach and asks if they think they can coach and motivate Britt based on those responses.

Imagine being an NFL GM and you have an interview to gauge whether to sign a guy with a checkered past. Don't you agree his responses would be vital to this process?
This seems like almost total speculation. You are speculating that he hasn't been offered contracts--I don't think we know if he has or not. You are speculating that the Coaches' don't think they can coach him. I guess we'll know eventually based on whether he does sign with a team and whether it is a vet minimum, one year deal like you and others think is the best he can garner, or whether it is something more.

This seems like almost total speculation. You are speculating that he hasn't been offered contracts--I don't think we know if he has or not. You are speculating that the Coaches' don't think they can coach him. I guess we'll know eventually based on whether he does sign with a team and whether it is a vet minimum, one year deal like you and others think is the best he can garner, or whether it is something more.
Well it is total speculation, but I'd like to think it's reasonable.

There is a job interview of sorts for these players when they visit teams. Too often people(not saying you) act as if NFL GMs and coaches review film and sign a guy never talking to him. That almost never happens. There are some stories of HOF type players that this happened with but all-in-all it "never" happens.

True too about contracts. It is oh so often reported when a player is offered a contract. It IS possible that a player is offered one and they don't inform the press.

Like I asked though-imagine you're an NFL GM and you have to interview a guy with a checkered past

Its such a deep draft for wrs. Last thing I' d want as a gm is to waste money on a knucklehead like Britt, and watch his negative influence on my wrs. Guys are that are normally 3rd round talent at the wr position can be snagged in the 5th round this year. Its that deep. Screw Britt. He wasted his opportunity

Mike Reiss @MikeReiss

Patriots owner Robert Kraft tells @RonBorges that the team won't be signing WR Kenny Britt, who visited the club last week.

Mike Reiss @MikeReiss

Patriots owner Robert Kraft tells @RonBorges that the team won't be signing WR Kenny Britt, who visited the club last week.
Rotoworld take:

Owner Bob Kraft confirmed the Patriots won't be signing free agent Kenny Britt.
"We won't be signing him," Kraft said. "That won't happen." Britt visited the Patriots last week. Coach/GM Bill Belichick wasn't even present for the meeting. Britt is expected to make a decision where to sign within the next couple days. Other teams previously linked to Britt are the Rams, Redskins, Bills, and Panthers.

Related: Patriots

Source: Boston Herald

Mike Reiss @MikeReiss

Rotoworld take:

"We won't be signing him," Kraft said. "That won't happen." Britt visited the Patriots last week. Coach/GM Bill Belichick wasn't even present for the meeting. Britt is expected to make a decision where to sign within the next couple days. Other teams previously linked to Britt are the Rams, Redskins, Bills, and Panthers.

Phew!

Sounds like he made a good impression to whoever was there for his meeting! Seems like something tipped them off right away to not invest anymore time at all and walk away quick. They've taken on some projects, but this might be saying something.

Mike Reiss @MikeReiss

Rotoworld take:

Phew!
Phew?

You have NE has no WR to speak of...

Bradford was pretty good last year. If they'd all played a 16 game season here's what each guy's #s suggest they were worth in terms of additional wins for their teams (all else being equal):

Code:
Peyton Manning	  5.5 Nick Foles	  4.3 Drew Brees	  3.2 Philip Rivers	  2.5 Josh McCown	  2.4 Aaron Rodgers	  2.2 Russell Wilson	  1.9 Tony Romo	  1.8 Andy Dalton	  1.3 Sam Bradford	  1.2 Jay Cutler	  0.9 Matt Ryan	  0.8 Ben Roethlisberg  0.7 Colin Kaepernick  0.7 Tom Brady	  0.5 Cam Newton	  0.5 Andrew Luck	  0.5 Alex D. Smith	  0.3 Matt Cassel	  0.2 Matthew Stafford (0.2)Kellen Clemens	 (0.3)Jason Campbell	 (0.3)Carson Palmer	 (0.4)Ryan Tannehill	 (0.7)Ryan Fitzpatrick (0.8)Robert Griffin	 (1.5)Matt Schaub	 (1.8)Chad Henne	 (1.9)Joe Flacco	 (2.1)Brandon Weeden	 (2.5)Christian Ponder (3.0)Eli Manning	 (3.1)

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread