What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Kevin Smith - RB (1 Viewer)

Just something for people to keep in mind...Kevin Smith - 4 years in the league3.9 YPC, 8.9 YPR, 1 TD every 34 touchesMatt Forte - 4 years in the league4.2 YPC, 8.9 YPR, 1 TD every 43 touches
Boone22, I tweaked your numbers a bit and added 2 others for comparison.....Kevin Smith - 4 years in the league3.94 YPC, 8.9 YPR, 1 TD every 33.7 touches, 1 fumble every 169 touchesMatt Forte - 4 years in the league4.17 YPC, 8.9 YPR, 1 TD every 42.7 touches, 1 fumble every 155 touchesRashard Mendenhall - 4 years in the league4.14 YPC, 8.8 YPR, 1 TD every 29 .4 touches, 1 fumble every 147 touchesMarshawn Lynch - 5 years in the league3.99 YPC, 7.1 YPR, 1 TD every 34.6 touches, 1 fumble every 142 touchesAll I'm trying to point out is that Kevin Smith has ability, he's shown it both pre and post injury. He's also not that far away from having the opportunity (two not so big "what ifs"). I'm not saying take this guy in the 4th round of a redraft, or in the first 15 or so pick in a rookie draft if he's available in your league....but for the right price he's a very intriguing prospect.

Just something for people to keep in mind...Kevin Smith - 4 years in the league3.9 YPC, 8.9 YPR, 1 TD every 34 touchesMatt Forte - 4 years in the league4.2 YPC, 8.9 YPR, 1 TD every 43 touches
Boone22, I tweaked your numbers a bit and added 2 others for comparison.....Kevin Smith - 4 years in the league3.94 YPC, 8.9 YPR, 1 TD every 33.7 touches, 1 fumble every 169 touchesMatt Forte - 4 years in the league4.17 YPC, 8.9 YPR, 1 TD every 42.7 touches, 1 fumble every 155 touchesRashard Mendenhall - 4 years in the league4.14 YPC, 8.8 YPR, 1 TD every 29 .4 touches, 1 fumble every 147 touchesMarshawn Lynch - 5 years in the league3.99 YPC, 7.1 YPR, 1 TD every 34.6 touches, 1 fumble every 142 touchesAll I'm trying to point out is that Kevin Smith has ability, he's shown it both pre and post injury. He's also not that far away from having the opportunity (two not so big "what ifs"). I'm not saying take this guy in the 4th round of a redraft, or in the first 15 or so pick in a rookie draft if he's available in your league....but for the right price he's a very intriguing prospect.
I'll throw another one out there since this is mainly a discussion about the Detroit situation...Jahvid Best - 2 years in the league3.7 YPC, 9.1 YPR, 1 TD every 37.8 touches, 1 fumble every 340 touches

Smith reminds me a lot of DeShaun Foster. He always shows you just enough before he gets hurt to make you take a chance on him next year. If they could limit his touches to the 10-12 per game range, he'd be a nice bench warmer.

Last edited by a moderator:
'duaneok66 said:
'Pictus Cat said:
The value of a Detroit RB is toilet paper.You can't hold on to all of it, but you hope the piece you get is good when you need it.
agree - Kevin Smith is not worh arguing about. He's RB6 on my dynasty team, so naturally i opened this thread. However, I am not banking on him to be productive, BUT if he is, I (obviously) would be pleased.
I think all the Detroit backs will be startable at some point in the season with RB 1 #s. They just take turns between eachothers injuries.

I think all the Detroit backs will be startable at some point in the season with RB 1 #s. They just take turns between eachothers injuries.
Exactly my point. And since apparently Best and Leshoure will get first crack, that means Smith will be getting his big games down the stretch and during the fantasy playoffs when you need it most (just like last year).

Exactly my point. And since apparently Best and Leshoure will get first crack, that means Smith will be getting his big games down the stretch and during the fantasy playoffs when you need it most (just like last year).
Real tough to bank on that. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Smith and Best are the backs practicing in camp and LeShoure isn't ready. That was a real nasty injury last year, I'd be surprised if he's back out there full go in camp.

Real tough to bank on that. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Smith and Best are the backs practicing in camp and LeShoure isn't ready. That was a real nasty injury last year, I'd be surprised if he's back out there full go in camp.
Oh, I don't mean to imply that I'm "banking on it" or anything, but near the end of a redraft draft he's a perfect pickup rather than a #2/#3 TE or a backup DEF or something like that. I also think that he's a decent dynasty stash as I don't feel that BOTH Best and Leshoure will return healthy for the next year or so.

'Pictus Cat said:
The value of a Detroit RB is toilet paper.You can't hold on to all of it, but you hope the piece you get is good when you need it.
I'm actually holding all 3 squares of this Detroit TP roll. Just sort of worked out that way and I'm kind of embracing it. I drafted LeShoure last year at 1.06 behind Daniel Thomas and Ryan Williams. He got hurt shortly after so IR'd him all year. Then this offseason I moved Bradshaw for Best and Lloyd (before Best was fully cleared and before Lloyd was a Pat). Then 2 weeks later a team just dropped Kevin Smith on the FA pile like a heap of trash for Buffalo's Def. Figured, it only made sense to CYA and own all 3 Detroit RBs. If they theory is true that these guys will all alternate getting hurt and in turn blowing up at certain points throughout the season, I should be ok to an extent. It's a bit of a guessing game, but both Smith and Best put up 40 point games last season at some point. The points are there as those two catch, run and score. If the offense clicks as usual, someone is going to have some good weeks for ff owners. It would seem LeShoure would be the odd man out at first no matter what he looks like in OTA/Camp/Preseason. They should ease him in and baby him where we won't see his full potential until the 2nd half of the year or in 2013. That's my guess anyways.

I plan on wiping my ### with Best and Smith all of next season.
Cause you're holding LeShoure? Anyone care to rethink their above statements on Smith with the latest news on LeShoure and his 2nd arrest in 3 weeks on marijuana use/possession?

Jahvid Best (concussions) is expected to participate in the beginning of the Lions' offseason program Monday, but has yet to be cleared for contact.

Best has been working out for several months, but has yet to receive final clearance to resume playing from Lions doctors. It's a bit concerning, as GM Martin Mayhew hinted in late February Best was close to being cleared. However, the expectation remains that he will be ready for training camp. He's as big an injury risk as they come in dynasty leagues.

Demarco Murray, Cam Newton, Kendall Hunter and Torrey Smith were other 2nd round picks last year.
Really? I am in two dynasty leagues. Here is where these players went in those leagues:League 1 (10 teams): 1.5 Murray; 1.6 Newton; 2.6 Smith; Hunter undraftedLeague 2 (14 teams): 1.10 Hunter; 1.11 Murray; 1.12 Newton; 2.11 SmithI'm surprised that any league would have both Newton and Murray in the second round last year.

Demarco Murray, Cam Newton, Kendall Hunter and Torrey Smith were other 2nd round picks last year.
Really? I am in two dynasty leagues. Here is where these players went in those leagues:League 1 (10 teams): 1.5 Murray; 1.6 Newton; 2.6 Smith; Hunter undraftedLeague 2 (14 teams): 1.10 Hunter; 1.11 Murray; 1.12 Newton; 2.11 SmithI'm surprised that any league would have both Newton and Murray in the second round last year.
Hmm, from what I've seen, those leagues sound like the exception. I am in four leagues and Murray was a second round pick in all four leagues, while Newton went in the first in only one of them.Oddly, the Murray/Newton combo went at 2.04/2.05 in three different leagues.

Im a Smith owner in several leagues. Cost me zilch and has all the upside in the world - for the coming season. After that not so much, especially if Detroit run into strong value in round 3 or 4 of the draft.

I think the short term value is Smith with the long term value not yet on the roster.

Interesting thought about Smith's current value -

Speculation out there has LaMichael James going to San Diego to be the backup to Ryan Mathews. Should that occur, which would you rather have on your dynasty or even redraft rosters - L James or Kevin Smith.

I ask because James is thought to be an early 2nd round rookie pick, possibly even late first.

Users who are viewing this thread