What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Kirk Cousins Starting Sunday - RGIII Benched (1 Viewer)

What do you guys think this means for Garcon? Trying to decide between Garcon, White, or Woodhead for my PPR flex.

ESPN - Redskins to start QB Kirk Cousins instead of Robert Griffin III on Sunday vs. Falcons, source told ESPN

I still think, in a ppr, Garçon is still a good play.

Last edited by a moderator:
For some crazy reason, I think this is good for Morris. I feel with Cousins they are more likely to run a traditional offense. I was considering benching Morris in a Non-PPR league for Vareen but may put Morris back in now with this news.

I have no choice I have to start Garçon
I mean when Cousins started last season, he threw for 400yds. Atlanta's D isn't very good, but the Skins OL can't protect anyone at this point.
I believe that was the CLE game...he threw for 329 and Garcon went 6 for 65 in the contest. Morris had 27 totes for 87 yards and 2 TDs, so I am not sure whether that is indicative of which direction they will go (run or pass).

Good news for all Washington skill position players, especially WRs

Cousins vs Atl: 28/45 310 yards, 2 TDs, 1 Int

RG3 should of been sat down a long time ago.

Man it felt great to cut him today, really did. I hope he is humbled by the fact he is getting benched because he can't compete at a high level right now.

He is past the injury, no more excuses, he is just not an NFL caliber QB this year.

1. I think Morris will be fine. Atlanta has a horrific run defense. I expect him to be a strong RB2.

2. Garçon is a little more of a risk . I would feel ok starting him because perhaps Cousins will take more shots down the field.

Also I can't help but to think that Shanahan will now open up this offense and give Cousins the chance to shine. I am not sure if he will have success doing so but I think now the coaching staff wants to prove they can win without RGIII. Sounds childish but look who the coach is.

At this point it can't get much worse.
Sure it can. Say Cousins impresses these last three games. Then us 'Skins fans get to hear about the QB controversy all offseason. Not to mention what that does to Subway Bob's psyche.
Nah. I think this move does two things, first it keeps RGIII healthy for a full offseason of work next year (a terrible decision in my opinion, if he's healthy he needs the starting reps). But second, it showcases Cousins so he can be traded this offseason. The Skins need draft picks and if Cousins shows well then they can get something good for him. That will also eliminate any QB controversy.

Sure it can. Say Cousins impresses these last three games. Then us 'Skins fans get to hear about the QB controversy all offseason. Not to mention what that does to Subway Bob's psyche.
There's speculation that they are showcasing him for a trade.

I don't think that's the case and wouldn't think trading him would be a good move, but that's a rumor.

Just thinking it out for a minute, IF the Redskins brought in a veteran QB (Schaub or Henne maybe?) and were able to get a 1st (Browns trade the Colts' 1st?) then maybe it makes some sense.

Nah. I think this move does two things, first it keeps RGIII healthy for a full offseason of work next year (a terrible decision in my opinion, if he's healthy he needs the starting reps). But second, it showcases Cousins so he can be traded this offseason. The Skins need draft picks and if Cousins shows well then they can get something good for him. That will also eliminate any QB controversy.
You say that like Shanahan cares about what's best for the redskins future. He doesn't. I really don't think Shanny gives a #### what Cousins trade value ends up being. He's just sticking his finger in Snyder's eye. :pokey:

Falcon defense just became a top 5 play. The coaching staff has shown that they have no confidence RG3 who is the leader of the team(coaching staff has given up). Shanny is playing a game of chicken with the ownership, which will not end well. The skins players are thinking if they don't want RG3 to get hurt, why should I get hurt. Pack in time for the skins. I would stay away from all Redskin players this week.

You say that like Shanahan cares about what's best for the redskins future. He doesn't. I really don't think Shanny gives a #### what Cousins trade value ends up being. He's just sticking his finger in Snyder's eye. :pokey:
That seems to be the simplest explanation - "See, I could have won all year if I wasn't forced to start RG3"

Tanking to get STL the #1 pick.
I think they have a better chance to win without RG3 in there right now

:SHRUGS:
It would be different if you could just point to RG3 for the failures of the team. But when the defense is giving up over 31ppg, the Special Teams is one of the worst Special Teams units of all time according to PFF (4th worst all-time), the OL has more holes than swiss cheese and we have no receiving threat right now outside of Garcon (since Reed is still out). Even as bad as RG3 has looked at times this year, we still have a top 10 offense.

Falcon defense just became a top 5 play. The coaching staff has shown that they have no confidence RG3 who is the leader of the team(coaching staff has given up). Shanny is playing a game of chicken with the ownership, which will not end well. The skins players are thinking if they don't want RG3 to get hurt, why should I get hurt. Pack in time for the skins. I would stay away from all Redskin players this week.
lol? Not even close. Falcons are really bad defensively (obv)

This is at worst a lateral move for the Washington offense. Others have said it, but they really couldn't get any worse. RG3 was a sack waiting to happen every play

lol? Not even close. Falcons are really bad defensively (obv)
They are but they're coming off a game where they got a Pick 6 against another backup QB. And it's not like Washington's offensive line is suddenly going to get any better.

Shanahanigans are back. He's moved on from russian roulette RBs and now its QBs.

I have the sneaky conspiracy theory that this works wells for garcon and the passing game. I figure Shanahan will try to showcase a very aggressive, exciting passing game that will basically be a back-handed way of saying "look what I can do with a guy that I'm not pigeon-holed into emphasizing this other stuff".

And to keep the conspiracy theory rlling, he might be rolling with Cousins just to get an idea if he might have a way of taking him with him to wherever he ends up.

Shanahanigans are back. He's moved on from russian roulette RBs and now its QBs.

I have the sneaky conspiracy theory that this works wells for garcon and the passing game. I figure Shanahan will try to showcase a very aggressive, exciting passing game that will basically be a back-handed way of saying "look what I can do with a guy that I'm not pigeon-holed into emphasizing this other stuff".

And to keep the conspiracy theory rlling, he might be rolling with Cousins just to get an idea if he might have a way of taking him with him to wherever he ends up.
Shanny & Cousins to houston?

cstu said:
I don't understand this theory that Shanahan is doing this to get back at Snyder. Is it because people say he was forced to draft RG3?
What else could it be?

Everyone loves piling on Griffin but here are his stats for the year on a 3-10 football team:

26 Robert Griffin III, QB WSH 274 456 60.1 3,203 7.02 62 16 12 38 82.2 246

ETA: Also has 489 yards rushing.

Not great but not the reason they're losing games. Mind you the defense give ups 31 points a game and they're special teams are embarrassing. No changes there.

How can you justify benching your franchise QB AND making him inactive the last 3 games of the season?

cstu said:
I don't understand this theory that Shanahan is doing this to get back at Snyder. Is it because people say he was forced to draft RG3?
What else could it be?

Everyone loves piling on Griffin but here are his stats for the year on a 3-10 football team:

Not great but not the reason they're losing games. Mind you the defense give ups 31 points a game and they're special teams are embarrassing. No changes there.

How can you justify benching your franchise QB AND making him inactive the last 3 games of the season?
Most of Rob's statistical success has come once the team is getting beat up already and they are playing from behind. I get the defense is to blame but he has not played well enough against non-prevent defense to keep his team in the game as well.

cstu said:
What else could it be?

Two possible reasons that make the most sense to me:

* Drive up Cousin's trade value to attempt to trade him this offseason to try to make up for missing 1st rounder by getting another draft pick (maybe not 1st, but possibly high)

* To ensure full recovery of health for your franchise QB in a season that is lost. Can you imagine if he were to blow his knee out again at this point?

That's what I thought as I wrote that. Makes sense but I think I read somewhere that the Texans wouldn't be looking at a guy like Shanny in Houston.

Does anyone actually think Griffin SHOULD stay in there right now? He's been awful in every phase. His accuracy is way off. We know when healthy he can be a very accurate passer. Sure the line has a lot to do with it, but his mechanics are all messed up. In his mind he can still make plays with his legs but his body can't support it. Slower lineman are running him down. Bottom line, I think it's the right move to let him sit. He's not at risk for his job - he will be a franchise QB when healthy. But he needs to get healthy, get his mechanics back and restore confidence before he starts questioning himself more.

I think this is good for Morris. I don't know if this changes the offense much but I like Morris when the QB is under center. We'll see. ATL and DAL could not be 2 better matchups. Obviously the blocking has to be there and Cousins has to convert a few 3rd downs to keep drives alive. But as a Morris owner, I was actually hoping RG3 would get benched. It obviously wasn't working for Alf with him in there.

Does anyone actually think Griffin SHOULD stay in there right now?
I think he needs game reps badly. If he's healthy I think he should be starting if he's your franchise quarterback. The Panthers didn't bench Newton last year when he was going through a lot of problems and that decision has turned out rather well for them this year.

Erin Rodgers owner here in a 2QB league - picked him up.
Going with Campbell as my top bid to replace RG3 in my Start-2 QB league. Debating whether to put Cousins or Flynn next on the list. Leaning toward Flynn right now.
I got #### blocked for Campbell by my opponent. So my two options are the same - Flynn or Cousins. If RG3 were not inactive, I would go Flynn for sure. Both have nice matchups on paper. Not really a decision I was wanting to make week 15.

cstu said:
What else could it be?

Come on, Bud. I see your avatar and realize you idolize the guy, but he's been horrible. This should have been done long ago. If he doesn't get back to being a big run threat, he may never get the job back from Cousins. Running is what made him so great. Take that constant threat away, and he is average. Below average, in fact.

Griffin has not played well but I don't know how anyone can look at Washington's defense, offensive line, special teams, limited weapons in the passing game (besides Garcon and Reed when he's played) and think he's anywhere near the biggest problem on that team.

cstu said:
What else could it be?

Come on, Bud. I see your avatar and realize you idolize the guy, but he's been horrible. This should have been done long ago. If he doesn't get back to being a big run threat, he may never get the job back from Cousins. Running is what made him so great. Take that constant threat away, and he is average. Below average, in fact.
Just looking at the stats of the 4 QBs (RG3, Luck, Wilson, Kaep):

RG3: 60.1/3,203/16/12

Luck: 58.6/3,119/19/8

Wilson: 64.5/2,871/23/7

Kaep: 57.2/2,487/16/8

So what exactly is the big difference here besides the Skins are 3-10? RG3 ranks 2nd in completion %, 1st in yards, tied for 3rd in TDs, last in INTs. Yet no one is saying Kaep or Luck need to be benched.

maybe the organization did decide to shut RG3 down, call this season a mulligan and start over next year, sans Shanny.

RG3 tear his knee up again and it does no one any good

That's what I thought as I wrote that. Makes sense but I think I read somewhere that the Texans wouldn't be looking at a guy like Shanny in Houston.
We dont want either....move along

cstu said:
What else could it be?

Just looking at the stats of the 4 QBs (RG3, Luck, Wilson, Kaep):

RG3: 60.1/3,203/16/12

Luck: 58.6/3,119/19/8

Wilson: 64.5/2,871/23/7

Kaep: 57.2/2,487/16/8

So what exactly is the big difference here besides the Skins are 3-10? RG3 ranks 2nd in completion %, 1st in yards, tied for 3rd in TDs, last in INTs. Yet no one is saying Kaep or Luck need to be benched.
Which one isn't in the playoffs?

Which has the lowest QB rating?

Which has the highest INT%?

I like RG3 enough and think he will be good in the future, but he's not doing it now.

Users who are viewing this thread