What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

KP's top 50 movies of the decade (so far) (1 Viewer)

Dang, I spent the break watching 80s movies with the kids. This would have been a good place to start.
What did you watch?
14 yo girl, 8 yo boy, plus 11 yo boy for a few of them.

Indiana Jones 1 - kids loved it

IJ 2 - didn't care for it

IJ 3 - liked it

Goonies - really liked it

Ferris Bueller's Day Off - loved it.

Jumanji - okay

Labyrinth - younger liked it, older didn't

Honey, I Shrunk the Kids - liked it

Ghostbusters - loved it

Mummy 1 - loved it

Mummy 2 - meh

Mummy 3 - surprised and liked it okay

Beetlejuice - disliked except for dinner dance

Stand By Me - didn't like it

Christmas Story - okay

Sandlot - liked it

I couldn't find a good version of Mighty Ducks. I still might show them Breakfast Club, Dark Crystal, War Games, and Flight of the Navigator (I've never seen it), but we might just continue watching a Flash marathon instead (13 eps in).
No Back to the Future, Karate Kid, Big, or Pee Wee's Big Adventure?

I know it's not a popular opinion, but Beetlejuice really doesn't hold up. (not sure I liked it much to begin with)

Do you really like docs, KP? If so, you'll probably like Tim's Vermeer and Finding Vivian Maier. (We love docs.)

We saw the roadshow version of The Hateful Eight a couple of days ago. That was different. We love Morricone's music.

I've watched 13/15 on the list. Probably 3 I wouldn't have put in any top 50 - kick ###, the Grey, and tucker and dale - but all of the ones I have seen I still enjoyed, and so I am really digging this list so far.

The ones I'd personally put higher are Interstellar (sure, the climax is silly but still a great movie that makes you think), Life of Pi (visually stunning), and About Time (I am a total sap, and this one hit all the right notes for me. Plus LOVE the score/soundtrack). Hard to really say what should be higher or lower without having done this exercise myself.

I feel sorta the same wat about Boyhood as you do. The movie overall fell a bit flat to me, but I was still impressed by the scope of what Linklater was trying to accomplish and how well that was executed. I think perhaps a stronger lead would have made the movie much better, but a lot of luck was involved in that choice.

Need to watch Inside Out and It Follows now, the latter I had never heard of before.

Eta: took too long to type this lol

Last edited by a moderator:
33. Side Effects

Can't think of another movie that took me quite off guard like this one did. I liked Contagion from Soderbergh, but it was very clinical and deliberately paced. This one started off like that as well, but went in a different direction. I have recommended this one to a lot of people in the last few years, and always tell them to stick with the movie at the beginning. Not going to say much more than that or even describe what it reminds me of. If you have seen it, you know what I mean, if you haven't, check it out.
Completely agree. GF disliked this film for the very same reasons I enjoyed it.

Dang, I spent the break watching 80s movies with the kids. This would have been a good place to start.
What did you watch?

IJ 3 - liked it

Jumanji - okay

Ghostbusters - loved it

Mummy 1 - loved it

Mummy 2 - meh

Christmas Story - okay

Sandlot - liked it

I couldn't find a good version of Mighty Ducks. I still might show them Breakfast Club, Dark Crystal, War Games, and Flight of the Navigator (I've never seen it), but we might just continue watching a Flash marathon instead (13 eps in).

I know it's not a popular opinion, but Beetlejuice really doesn't hold up. (not sure I liked it much to begin with)
They saw Back to the Future and Pee Wee a few months ago. I'll add Karate Kid and Big to the list, but will want to watch both again before showing them to the kids. We're kind of wimps in what we present to them.

What did you watch?
14 yo girl, 8 yo boy, plus 11 yo boy for a few of them.Indiana Jones 1 - kids loved it

IJ 3 - liked it

Jumanji - okay

Ghostbusters - loved it

Mummy 1 - loved it

Mummy 2 - meh

Christmas Story - okay

Sandlot - liked it

They saw Back to the Future and Pee Wee a few months ago. I'll add Karate Kid and Big to the list, but will want to watch both again before showing them to the kids. We're kind of wimps in what we present to them.
lol, you showed them stand by me. If they can watch that, karate kid and Big will be fine

I was about to turn off Side Effects right at the point where it turned very interesting and worth watching. Glad I didn't.

What did you watch?
14 yo girl, 8 yo boy, plus 11 yo boy for a few of them.Indiana Jones 1 - kids loved it

IJ 3 - liked it

Jumanji - okay

Ghostbusters - loved it

Mummy 1 - loved it

Mummy 2 - meh

Christmas Story - okay

Sandlot - liked it

Try the never ending story

What did you watch?

IJ 3 - liked it

Jumanji - okay

Ghostbusters - loved it

Mummy 1 - loved it

Mummy 2 - meh

Christmas Story - okay

Sandlot - liked it

How did they like BTF and Pee Wee?

What did you watch?

IJ 3 - liked it

Jumanji - okay

Ghostbusters - loved it

Mummy 1 - loved it

Mummy 2 - meh

Christmas Story - okay

Sandlot - liked it

Willow a good one.

What did you watch?

IJ 3 - liked it

Jumanji - okay

Ghostbusters - loved it

Mummy 1 - loved it

Mummy 2 - meh

Christmas Story - okay

Sandlot - liked it

lol, you showed them stand by me. If they can watch that, karate kid and Big will be fine
Yeah, there was a little boob talk in there, plus some pretty foul language. This was a step up in allowing them to watch movies with language. I still haven't heard a bad word from any of them yet, and none of them have been in trouble for it at school, so they seem to have judgement.

It's amazing how many movies are 99% okay for kids, with one or two F-bombs thrown in there.

They saw Willow awhile back - liked it.

Back to the Future - they loved the first one, laughed a lot a the second one, were disappointed by the third.

Pee Wee - 14yo and 11yo laughed a lot, but seemed to feel guilty about laughing at such silly jokes. 8yo loved it.

Neverending Story - 8yo and 11yo liked it, 14yo didn't.

I'm considering Conan... my first boobs! They haven't seen any in movies/TV yet.

What did you watch?

IJ 3 - liked it

Jumanji - okay

Ghostbusters - loved it

Mummy 1 - loved it

Mummy 2 - meh

Christmas Story - okay

Sandlot - liked it

Yeah, there was a little boob talk in there, plus some pretty foul language. This was a step up in allowing them to watch movies with language. I still haven't heard a bad word from any of them yet, and none of them have been in trouble for it at school, so they seem to have judgement.It's amazing how many movies are 99% okay for kids, with one or two F-bombs thrown in there.

They saw Willow awhile back - liked it.

Back to the Future - they loved the first one, laughed a lot a the second one, were disappointed by the third.

Pee Wee - 14yo and 11yo laughed a lot, but seemed to feel guilty about laughing at such silly jokes. 8yo loved it.

Neverending Story - 8yo and 11yo liked it, 14yo didn't.

I'm considering Conan... my first boobs! They haven't seen any in movies/TV yet.
The original Conan is pretty brutal

Do you really like docs, KP? If so, you'll probably like Tim's Vermeer and Finding Vivian Maier. (We love docs.)
Probably my favorite genre now, and I don't know why I have let myself fall behind on them. I will add those two to my queue - thanks for the recs, both look interesting. I don't know if I can think of a documentary that I haven't liked offhand. If so, I am sure it would be some over the top one sided "doc", and I seem to be able to avoid those.

So many good ones, and I still remember the first one that I grabbed on dvd about 10 years ago - Stevie. I have been hooked ever since.

I've watched 13/15 on the list. Probably 3 I wouldn't have put in any top 50 - kick ###, the Grey, and tucker and dale - but all of the ones I have seen I still enjoyed, and so I am really digging this list so far.

The ones I'd personally put higher are Interstellar (sure, the climax is silly but still a great movie that makes you think), Life of Pi (visually stunning), and About Time (I am a total sap, and this one hit all the right notes for me. Plus LOVE the score/soundtrack). Hard to really say what should be higher or lower without having done this exercise myself.

I feel sorta the same wat about Boyhood as you do. The movie overall fell a bit flat to me, but I was still impressed by the scope of what Linklater was trying to accomplish and how well that was executed. I think perhaps a stronger lead would have made the movie much better, but a lot of luck was involved in that choice.

Need to watch Inside Out and It Follows now, the latter I had never heard of before.

Eta: took too long to type this lol
Maybe I am over estimating how much time it was, but if it was just the very end I probably would have forgiven it, but to me it felt like the last 1/4 of the movie or so. There were other things I had issue with as well, but as I said, I am curious to see what my reaction will be in another 10 years or so.

As I was making my list, I assumed that Kick-### would be one that stuck out that people wouldn't like. I think there will be more discussion at the end as there are some big movies from big names that I didn't like as much and didn't make my list. I also expect one of the next 5 to cause a little debate as well.

I've seen all of the ones mentioned so far and I have liked all of them a lot. Not sure my order would be nearly the same but I can't argue the choices. :thumbup:
Would love to see other lists at the end of this too. Top 50 is a bit much, but top 10-20 movies. I just love doing and seeing other lists.

30. Margin Call

Follows key people at a bank during the initial stages of the financial crisis. Fantastic dialogue and cast on this one. Another one that climbed the ranks a little on a repeat viewing. Definitely a director to keep an eye on, JC Chandor has made 3 damn good movies in the last 5 years. Interesting that he followed up a movie that is basically all dialogue with one that I can barely remember any dialogue from.

29. Safety Not Guaranteed

"WANTED Someone to go back in time with me. This is not a joke. You'll get paid when we get back. Must bring your own weapons. Safety not guaranteed. I have only done this once before." A magazine sees this ad in the personals and sends a couple reporters to investigate this. I am a time travel geek, how could I not get sucked into this? Mark Duplass and Aubrey Plaza were great.

28. Blue Valentine

Same director as The Place Beyond the Pines. Here we get a great drama that cuts back and forth over the course of the relationship of a married couple played by Ryan Gosling and Michelle Williams. Probably not the best movie for date night, but a great movie.

27. Rango

Here is the other one that I thought might be polarizing. I love this quirky, weird ### movie. To me it sticks out in the field of kids/animated movie. Just doesn't look or feel like anything else out there, and I love the humor in it. What it also does well is it has a supporting cast of characters that all feel different and have their own quirks and ticks. So many kids movies feel like they have the core characters and everything else is just background filler - even a movie i have higher than this one. Probably the only Johnny Depp movie I have liked in 15+ years.

26. Another Earth

The backdrop of a duplicate Earth showing up is just a tool for this movie about mistakes and second chances. Brit Marling is great in this as a student thinking about entering the competition to be the first to travel to the other Earth. It is a lot better than is sounds. Brit is another young actor to keep your eye on. She has been in several movies since 2011 and all that I have seen have been worth the watch.

Isn't this one of the guys that thought Anchorman sucked?

Surprised at the comments about not seeing a lot of these so far.

36. Shutter Island

Probably not the Scorsese movie that people would have on the list, but I think this is one of the most effective thrillers in awhile. Great, creepy performances all around. Who knew Marty could do a movie without voiceover all the way through? ;)
If the movie you think we're expecting to be on here is The Departed, I won't be able to give you enough likes if it stays off the list.

Its the ABC After School Special of mob flicks. I tried to watch it again last night and am continually amazed at how it gets worse with each attempted viewing.

Whiplash is sitting on the DVR right now. I think you people are forcing me into watching it.

Surprised I haven't gotten there yet. Movie I'm interested in + Simmons in it is usually instant viewing,

36. Shutter Island

Probably not the Scorsese movie that people would have on the list, but I think this is one of the most effective thrillers in awhile. Great, creepy performances all around. Who knew Marty could do a movie without voiceover all the way through? ;)
If the movie you think we're expecting to be on here is The Departed, I won't be able to give you enough likes if it stays off the list.

Its the ABC After School Special of mob flicks. I tried to watch it again last night and am continually amazed at how it gets worse with each attempted viewing.
Shutter Island is muddled mess of a movie that had me wanting to punch everyone involved. It makes The Departed look like The Godfather.

And The Departed should easily make the top 50.

36. Shutter Island

It's 2006, so I will be able to stay out of the debate that way. I notoriously am not a huge fan of Scorsese movies in general though.

Whiplash is sitting on the DVR right now. I think you people are forcing me into watching it.

Surprised I haven't gotten there yet. Movie I'm interested in + Simmons in it is usually instant viewing,
Whiplash is a great movie to help unwind at the end of a long day. Very mellow

4/25 seen.

:kicksrock: just don't get time to watch movies anymore.

Margin call seemed pretty cursory on my first viewing. Acting was fine but it felt fairly insubstantial.

Safety not guaranteed had some interesting things, but a little trite.

Blue valentine has amazing performances but I can't imagine watching it again

I'm in the group that hasn't heard of many of these movies.

I've seen a few, such as Shutter Island, and ummmm.....not that great, imo.

I am still struggling to put these in an order that I am confident in. The next 10 would probably have a different order in a couple weeks, hell maybe even in a couple hours.

25. Zero Dark Thirty

The Hurt Locker got Kathryn Bigelow all the acclaim, but I will take this movie any day of the week over that I disliked quite a bit. Much is made of the ending raid on the compound, but I was just as into Jessica Chastain's work to get us to that point.

24. Winter's Bone

I think was that movie that really introduced us to Jennifer Lawrence (by far still my favorite performance of hers) as a teen who needs to track down her drug dealing father to save her house and family. Beautifully shot and acted. I think the only small beef I had with the movie is that it seemed a tad muted, so I had to keep turning up the volume (might have even had to use subtitles).

23. 50/50

Movies that touch on a lot of things and manages to pull them all off always score well with me. Here we have Joseph Gordon-Levitt plays a man who gets diagnosed with cancer and his life and relationships after. It was able to get me to run the spectrum of emotions - I laughed, cried, and got pissed. Seth Rogan plays his foul-mouthed roommate, and Anna Kendrick plays his therapist. Watched this one quite a few times in the last 5 years.

22. The Social Network

Fincher is still one of my favorites working today, and he was able to make something that sounded as boring as "that movie about Facebook" into something great. The very end I thought was blah, but he had me all the way through that point. Sorkin's script was great, and I think this was the first time Fincher teamed up with Trent Reznor to great effect.

21. Martha Marcy May Marlene

Terrible title, great and unnerving movie. This one introduced me to Elizabeth Olsen (younger sister to the crazy Olsen twins). The movie is about her getting out of a cult and struggling to readjust to life with her family afterwards. It is interlaced with flashbacks about what life there was like and why she might have been sucked into that situation to begin with. The cult leader is played by John Hawkes (pretty sure he shows up 3 times on my list).

Zero Dark Thirty would probably top my list if I were making one. It's amazing film making from start to finish.

Winters bone was interesting more for Jennifer Lawrence than anything else.

I love 50/50. Probably more than I should.

Social network is rightfully on this list and maybe even little low.

Lawrence was great in Winter's Bone but I thought the ending was as bad as it gets.

In this decade, Sicario and Drive might be my two favorites but maybe I have forgotten a few.

I haven't seen Zero Dark Thirty. I really like the other 4. It's been a long time since I've seen Martha Marcy May Marlene but I remember enjoying it quite a bit.

18/30

Users who are viewing this thread