What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

L. Blount (1 Viewer)

Some nice runs but Blount's celebration after scoring (yes, I realized it was his first NFL TD) shows how either immature he is or he still "doesn't get". IMO, he is either going to slack off or doing something dumb off the field to wear out his welcome in TB sooner than later. The Bucs were down 38-6 before his TD...

Maybe he gets you a few nice games as a bye-week filer but would rather stash a Chris Ivory, James Stark or Ryan Torrian since they have a lot less baggage and attitude.

I was at the game...he clearly looked bigger and faster than any other RB. He won't be on the bench for long.

Buccaneers | Cadillac Williams could see less playing time Mon Sep 27, 12:55 PM

Tampa Bay Buccaneers RB Cadillac Williams could see less playing time after the team's Week 4 bye, reports Rick Stroud, of the St. Petersburg Times.

Cadillac Williams player page

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buccaneers | Two expected to see more time Mon Sep 27, 12:48 PM

Tampa Bay Buccaneers RB LeGarrette Blount and WR Arrelious Benn are expected to see more playing time after the team's Week 4 bye, reports Rick Stroud, of the St. Petersburg Times.

Buccaneers | Cadillac Williams could see less playing time Mon Sep 27, 12:55 PM Tampa Bay Buccaneers RB Cadillac Williams could see less playing time after the team's Week 4 bye, reports Rick Stroud, of the St. Petersburg Times.Cadillac Williams player page-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Buccaneers | Two expected to see more time Mon Sep 27, 12:48 PM Tampa Bay Buccaneers RB LeGarrette Blount and WR Arrelious Benn are expected to see more playing time after the team's Week 4 bye, reports Rick Stroud, of the St. Petersburg Times.
Tampa is a wasteland for RBs this year but for dynasty pay attention to Blount and Huggins, only buy very cheap. I predict that no Tampa back will break 600 rushing.

Some nice runs but Blount's celebration after scoring (yes, I realized it was his first NFL TD) shows how either immature he is or he still "doesn't get". IMO, he is either going to slack off or doing something dumb off the field to wear out his welcome in TB sooner than later. The Bucs were down 38-6 before his TD...

Maybe he gets you a few nice games as a bye-week filer but would rather stash a Chris Ivory, James Stark or Ryan Torrian since they have a lot less baggage and attitude.
You could see a few of the Steeler vets on D giving him some looks as he was celebrating. Too many players don't get the team concept at all. It's nice that you scored, but your team has gotten hammered.

You could see a few of the Steeler vets on D giving him some looks as he was celebrating. Too many players don't get the team concept at all. It's nice that you scored, but your team has gotten hammered.
I think you're looking way too deep into this. You're making a radical assumption about his character based off a celebration? Weird.

I think you're looking way too deep into this. You're making a radical assumption about his character based off a celebration? Weird.
Thinking someone is still immature is a radical character assumption?

Meh.Some players buy totally into the team above all else concept, and will party like a rockstar even when they individually suck, so long as the team succeeds.

Some players buy into the concept that the best thing they can possibly do for the team is to excel as much as possible individually, and part of that is staying hyped up and positive, no matter what the scoreboard says.

Some players are total me-first jack asses who don't give a damn about the the team's results...yet that might not matter if they're doing the best they can towards the correct goal, even if you don't like the way they go about it.

I don't really think it's worth hating on a guy for celebrating, ever. He was a young guy, doing well against an amazing defense. Why begrudge the guy?

I just watched the clip. It wasn't like his celebration was that excessive, it was his first TD of his NFL career, against the Steelers defense, and it was a very hard fought TD where he had a great second effort to get over the goal line. No need to read into it that much. Anyways, are people now thinking Blount is the new #2 RB in case Caddy goes down are 6 carries?

Starting running back Cadillac Williams ran six times for 13 yards against the Steelers and is averaging 2.5 yards per carry for the season.

Morris: "We'd like to start increasing (Blount's role), and I think his role would've been increased (Sunday) if the game had been played out the way I would've liked to have seen it played out.''
Link

texansfan80 said:
CrossEyed said:
CA_7 said:

I'm either not getting your sarcasm or you don't know Blount's history. My point is, Blount has a history of bad decision making and being immature (after teams continuously give him another chance) and this was just another example of it. If people want to stash him away as a dynasty pick don't complain after his next mis=step gets him booted from TB or suspended.

PS...

RB LeGarrette Blount says he needs to learn the Bucs' protection schemes more thoroughly before he expects his role to increase.
http://twitter.com/TBBuccaneers/status/25699454600

tdhartis said:
I just watched the clip. It wasn't like his celebration was that excessive, it was his first TD of his NFL career, against the Steelers defense, and it was a very hard fought TD where he had a great second effort to get over the goal line. No need to read into it that much. Anyways, are people now thinking Blount is the new #2 RB in case Caddy goes down are 6 carries?
I think it's more a case that people are trying to be prepared in case he's the new #2... But it's easy to look at those 6 carries and see that the kid has potential..

RB LeGarrette Blount says he needs to learn the Bucs' protection schemes more thoroughly before he expects his role to increase.
Sounds to me he's got his head on straight in that regard. He knows what he needs to do. If he couldn't admit he had deficiencies in that area, you couldn't expect him to improve right..? That statement doesn't sound like a detractor to me. I give the kid some credit there. And while matching the starting RB on carries, the coaching staff seems to think he should have gotten more carries, I like the sound of it....

I don't have Blount on my team but he is intriguing due to his measurables. He does seem to have some onfield anger issues. I couldn't find any info on any off the field altercations or run ins with the law. Anyone have any information on anything like that? If not, could we possibly just mark those outburst as a young kid competing hard? I would worry more about him if he was hitting his girlfriend or doing drugs. It seems the biggest issue was the Boise State game. The punch thrown in camp with the Titan seems like a little thing and would not even be commented on if done by other players without his history. He seems to have a bit of a fire in him that could help him or hurt him. Depends if he has matured.

Last edited by a moderator:
the negative posts in here really suck......tim was just bringing up a guy that he thought passed the eyeball test for him.....and that is what this place is about.....being ahead of the curve.....it is perfectly fine to disagree with him or anybody else that thinks Blount will not succeed, but these are the type of threads that need to happen now, while he is still under the radar and heading into a bye week.....if things look promising he can probably be picked up pretty easy......that will change dramatically after he rips off a 120 2 TD game......TB has a nice looking schedule after the bye and if Blount starts moving way up the depth chart, he could be a nice addition as a WW pick up or a "throw in" on a trade with someone right now.....and if it doesn't work out you really haven't lost much.....

and IMO....I could see him taking over in a few weeks.....it just has that feel.....and TB is going to be fairly decent this year and even though they got blown out, they will "be in" a ton of games, because Freeman is a baller......

I don't have Blount on my team but he is intriguing due to his measurables. He does seem to have some onfield anger issues. I couldn't find any info on any off the field altercations or run ins with the law. Anyone have any information on anything like that? If not, could we possibly just mark those outburst as a young kid competing hard? I would worry more about him if he was hitting his girlfriend or doing drugs. It seems the biggest issue was the Boise State game. The punch thrown in camp with the Titan seems like a little thing and would not even be commented on if done by other players without his history. He seems to have a bit of a fire in him that could help him or hurt him. Depends if he has matured.
I dont think he has off field issues with the law. He's just been an idiot on the field on occasion.It would not surprise me if this eventually surfaced elsewhere in his life. one thing is for sure.... I watched him in exhibition, and he is a very good talent. If he can keep his other issues in check (at least to a point where he does not get suspended for doing stupid things) He could have a very good career in the NFL.

Starting running back Cadillac Williams ran six times for 13 yards against the Steelers and is averaging 2.5 yards per carry for the season.

Morris: "We'd like to start increasing (Blount's role), and I think his role would've been increased (Sunday) if the game had been played out the way I would've liked to have seen it played out.''
Link
Now this is the kind of information I like to see. Now I will put him on my watch list.

Thanks

Blount, Lumpkin, and Huggins could all get some carries. Sounds like they are looking for anybody to provide a spark for the running game.

Blount could be a good gamble if you have room at the end of your bench.

Link

A day after the Buccaneers lost to the Pittsburgh Steelers 38-13, Bucs head coach Raheem Morris talked about the team’s struggles to run the football. Against the Steelers, Tampa Bay ran for 75 yards rushing with starter Carnell ‘Cadillac’ Williams running for only 13 yards on six carries (2.2 avg.). While Williams has gotten a lot of carries through the first three games, Tampa Bay has struggled to get the running game going. The Bucs went to backup LeGarrette Blount during the game with quality results, and Morris was asked if the team will re-evaluate the running back position and the amount of carries going to Williams.

“I think we are. I think that’s the thought of getting LeGarrette in to get some carries. I think [Kregg] Lumpkin will start to get some carries,” said Morris. “We got to clean up those holds that are being called. … We aren’t going to sit here and complain about those calls being called. What we are going to do is coach this thing up better. … I think that Cadillac has played three well games. By no means I’m saying he played excellent, but I’m saying he played games that he put together and played well in. He can play better. We got to get him some blow. We can’t get him 28 straight carries in a row and all those things. Somebody has to come in and give a spark. Somebody has to come in and make somebody miss and break off a long run.”

Outside of Blount and Lumpkin, another backup that Morris said Tampa Bay would like to get involved is Kareem Huggins. The second-year pro Huggins led the Bucs in rushing in the preseason with 134 yards on 25 carries for an average of 5.4 yards per carry. The 5-foot-9, 198-pound Huggins missed the second game of the year with a groin injury, and Morris said that was the reason for him being inactive on Sunday.

“No question, hopefully we can get him back this bye week and getting him out there running around in practice and he can be ready to go health-wise,” said Morris. “That’s been a health issue only right now, and hopefully we can get him back with the bye. We’re fortunate to have one this early, and fortunate to be able have him provide some of those spark type runs that we need to change that average.”

Apparently Morris and his player weren’t on the same page as Huggins said that he was fine, and that it was a coaching decision as to him being inactive against the Steelers. Huggins, 24, practiced all of the week leading up to the contest with Pittsburgh.

“No I’m fine. I prepared like I’m supposed to prepare,” said Huggins. “I’m just ready to play. It is up to the coaches.”

During the bye week and afterwards, Morris said that Huggins and Blount would be competing with each other for carries and being active on game days.

“You got to say yes,” said Morris. “You have to evaluate that this week. That’s a good problem.”

Morris highlighted the fact that it is a team effort to get the running game going. Tampa Bay was down by 22 points at halftime, and the deficit hurt the Bucs ability to stay with the ground game, as they were able to do in the first two weeks of the season when the score was close or Tampa Bay had the lead. Morris was hoping to get Blount more carries yesterday but the game didn’t lend itself to running the ball.

“LeGarrette Blount we certainly can increase his role,” said Morris. “I think his role would have been increased yesterday if the game had played out the way I would have liked to have seen it played out. With a three-point lead and pounding them, not giving up the two big plays and not allow them to pound us and make us one-dimensional. His role could have been increased yesterday as well, all those things going into it and having that type of role and having that type of feel. We are 2-1. That is the message to the team, to you guys, and our fans. We got time this week to go back and get better and bring those young guys along.”

Blount finished with six carries for 27 yards (4.5 avg.) and a touchdown to lead Tampa Bay. The Buccaneers claimed Blount off waivers from the Tennessee Titans at the end of the preseason. Blount went undrafted last April because of a post-game fight during his senior collegiate season even though many teams felt that Blount was one of the better running backs in the draft. With the Buccaneers heading into the bye week Tampa Bay plans on getting Blount more up to speed on the offense’s playbook.

“I think the young guys will have more of a chance to catch up,” said Morris. “We’ll get more of [Arrelious] Benn. We’ll get a chance to get more of LeGarrette Blount because we’ll be able to sit down and slow things down for those guys a little bit more. LeGarrette has been on the team for two weeks. I’m proud of him that he is even able to get in the game in the third week of the season. Now having a bye week you can give him some bases, and some more fundamental core beliefs, and things that you were talking about all offseason that he wasn’t able to get.”

Blount said that he knows it is a long season and he is not rushing to become the Bucs starting running back or receive a significant amount of carries. Blount and Morris believe that over the bye week Tampa Bay can get Blount up to speed on blitz pickup.

“Oh yeah I’m definitely willing to be patient,” said Blount. “I’m not going to rush anything. Especially when I’m not 100 percent comfortable with the offense. If was 100 percent comfortable with the offense then it’d be a different story because I’m pretty sure they’d get me out there, but since I’m not 100 percent comfortable with the offense they’re not going to take that chance. They got a multi-million dollar quarterback that doesn’t need to be getting hit.”

Williams is averaging 2.5 yards per carry and has a total of 139 yards on 55 carries and no touchdowns in 2010. Williams, 28, has not had run longer than 38 yards since rookie season in 2005, and that was the only year in his career where he was able to average four yards per carry or eclipse the 1,000 yard mark.

The 5-foot-11, 217-pound Williams was second in the NFL’s voting for Comeback Player of the Year in 2009. He ran for 823 yards and four touchdowns while catching 28 passes for 217 yards and three touchdowns last season. Williams renaissance came after he suffered massive knee injuries in 2007 and 2008. He is in the final year of his contract with Tampa Bay.

texansfan80 said:
CrossEyed said:
CA_7 said:

Could also be possible that his "assumption" is also based on his fight with a teammate during camp..... or his high profile sucker punch after the Oregon game on national television?

Blount, Lumpkin, and Huggins could all get some carries. Sounds like they are looking for anybody to provide a spark for the running game.

Link

A day after the Buccaneers lost to the Pittsburgh Steelers 38-13, Bucs head coach Raheem Morris talked about the team’s struggles to run the football. Against the Steelers, Tampa Bay ran for 75 yards rushing with starter Carnell ‘Cadillac’ Williams running for only 13 yards on six carries (2.2 avg.). While Williams has gotten a lot of carries through the first three games, Tampa Bay has struggled to get the running game going. The Bucs went to backup LeGarrette Blount during the game with quality results, and Morris was asked if the team will re-evaluate the running back position and the amount of carries going to Williams.

“I think we are. I think that’s the thought of getting LeGarrette in to get some carries. I think [Kregg] Lumpkin will start to get some carries,” said Morris. “We got to clean up those holds that are being called. … We aren’t going to sit here and complain about those calls being called. What we are going to do is coach this thing up better. … I think that Cadillac has played three well games. By no means I’m saying he played excellent, but I’m saying he played games that he put together and played well in. He can play better. We got to get him some blow. We can’t get him 28 straight carries in a row and all those things. Somebody has to come in and give a spark. Somebody has to come in and make somebody miss and break off a long run.”

Outside of Blount and Lumpkin, another backup that Morris said Tampa Bay would like to get involved is Kareem Huggins. The second-year pro Huggins led the Bucs in rushing in the preseason with 134 yards on 25 carries for an average of 5.4 yards per carry. The 5-foot-9, 198-pound Huggins missed the second game of the year with a groin injury, and Morris said that was the reason for him being inactive on Sunday.

“No question, hopefully we can get him back this bye week and getting him out there running around in practice and he can be ready to go health-wise,” said Morris. “That’s been a health issue only right now, and hopefully we can get him back with the bye. We’re fortunate to have one this early, and fortunate to be able have him provide some of those spark type runs that we need to change that average.”

Apparently Morris and his player weren’t on the same page as Huggins said that he was fine, and that it was a coaching decision as to him being inactive against the Steelers. Huggins, 24, practiced all of the week leading up to the contest with Pittsburgh.

“No I’m fine. I prepared like I’m supposed to prepare,” said Huggins. “I’m just ready to play. It is up to the coaches.”

During the bye week and afterwards, Morris said that Huggins and Blount would be competing with each other for carries and being active on game days.

“You got to say yes,” said Morris. “You have to evaluate that this week. That’s a good problem.”

Morris highlighted the fact that it is a team effort to get the running game going. Tampa Bay was down by 22 points at halftime, and the deficit hurt the Bucs ability to stay with the ground game, as they were able to do in the first two weeks of the season when the score was close or Tampa Bay had the lead. Morris was hoping to get Blount more carries yesterday but the game didn’t lend itself to running the ball.

“LeGarrette Blount we certainly can increase his role,” said Morris. “I think his role would have been increased yesterday if the game had played out the way I would have liked to have seen it played out. With a three-point lead and pounding them, not giving up the two big plays and not allow them to pound us and make us one-dimensional. His role could have been increased yesterday as well, all those things going into it and having that type of role and having that type of feel. We are 2-1. That is the message to the team, to you guys, and our fans. We got time this week to go back and get better and bring those young guys along.”

Blount finished with six carries for 27 yards (4.5 avg.) and a touchdown to lead Tampa Bay. The Buccaneers claimed Blount off waivers from the Tennessee Titans at the end of the preseason. Blount went undrafted last April because of a post-game fight during his senior collegiate season even though many teams felt that Blount was one of the better running backs in the draft. With the Buccaneers heading into the bye week Tampa Bay plans on getting Blount more up to speed on the offense’s playbook.

“I think the young guys will have more of a chance to catch up,” said Morris. “We’ll get more of [Arrelious] Benn. We’ll get a chance to get more of LeGarrette Blount because we’ll be able to sit down and slow things down for those guys a little bit more. LeGarrette has been on the team for two weeks. I’m proud of him that he is even able to get in the game in the third week of the season. Now having a bye week you can give him some bases, and some more fundamental core beliefs, and things that you were talking about all offseason that he wasn’t able to get.”

Blount said that he knows it is a long season and he is not rushing to become the Bucs starting running back or receive a significant amount of carries. Blount and Morris believe that over the bye week Tampa Bay can get Blount up to speed on blitz pickup.

“Oh yeah I’m definitely willing to be patient,” said Blount. “I’m not going to rush anything. Especially when I’m not 100 percent comfortable with the offense. If was 100 percent comfortable with the offense then it’d be a different story because I’m pretty sure they’d get me out there, but since I’m not 100 percent comfortable with the offense they’re not going to take that chance. They got a multi-million dollar quarterback that doesn’t need to be getting hit.”

Williams is averaging 2.5 yards per carry and has a total of 139 yards on 55 carries and no touchdowns in 2010. Williams, 28, has not had run longer than 38 yards since rookie season in 2005, and that was the only year in his career where he was able to average four yards per carry or eclipse the 1,000 yard mark.

The 5-foot-11, 217-pound Williams was second in the NFL’s voting for Comeback Player of the Year in 2009. He ran for 823 yards and four touchdowns while catching 28 passes for 217 yards and three touchdowns last season. Williams renaissance came after he suffered massive knee injuries in 2007 and 2008. He is in the final year of his contract with Tampa Bay.
With Caddy, Graham, Blount, and Huggins vying for time, it sounds like there are way too many mouths to feed in the TB offense to grab Blount or Huggins in anything but a very deep redraft league. For dynasty speculation Blount might be a good player to stash, but I don't see a lot of immediate value this season.

Link

With Caddy, Graham, Blount, and Huggins vying for time, it sounds like there are way too many mouths to feed in the TB offense to grab Blount or Huggins in anything but a very deep redraft league. For dynasty speculation Blount might be a good player to stash, but I don't see a lot of immediate value this season.
Blount = shark move

tdhartis said:
That's the way I saw it when I was watching the game. He ran hard everytime he got the ball.

I'm either not getting your sarcasm or you don't know Blount's history.

My point is, Blount has a history of bad decision making and being immature (after teams continuously give him another chance) and this was just another example of it. If people want to stash him away as a dynasty pick don't complain after his next mis=step gets him booted from TB or suspended.

PS...

The only "history" I'm aware of is a swing he took at an opposing player in college. Appears to be a hot-head, but has been labeled awfully strongly for not a lot of actual "history"(No...I'm not counting one quick swing quickly apoloigized for in TC...any other player it woulda never been even noticed.)

CrossEyed said:
texansfan80 said:
CrossEyed said:
CA_7 said:

Thinking someone is still immature is a radical character assumption?
He clashed several times during the season with veteran head coach Mike Bellotti, earning a suspension for the first quarter of a November loss to the Cal Golden Bears for "not following team rules."After the end of the season, he missed a number of workouts. Bellotti suspended him indefinitely on February 10 for "failure to fulfill team obligations."

Blount responded fairly well to the suspension, improving his attendance in both academic and athletic pursuits. He was reinstated by newly-appointed head coach Chip Kelly in March

Boise State incident

Wikinews has related news: Oregon running back LeGarrette Blount's college football career ends with a punch

The Ducks opened their 2009 season with a 19–8 loss to the Boise State Broncos.Shortly after the end of the game, Boise State defensive end Byron Hout taunted Blount and slapped his shoulder pad. Blount then punched Hout in the jaw, knocking him to the ground. Blount then hit teammate Garrett Embry, who was attempting to restrain him, in the helmet.

Blount called Hout and Petersen to apologize on September 5. Kelly participated in the calls.[Hout was not suspended for his taunting, though Petersen stated that he did receive disciplinary action. Petersen accepted the apology as sincere, and expressed the wish that Blount would be able to go on playing football, and that many parties would learn from the experience

CrossEyed said:
CA_7 said:

What would you do if you scored your first NFL TD?

I thought Blount had NFL talent when I watched him play at Oregon...mmos def has the size/bulk, and imo the quickness needed to touch the ball 20 times per game. Time will tell...RB's come out of nowhere(and he 'aint exactly coming out of nowhere, as some NFL draft blogs/sites had him as a 1st/2nd round talent before he went crazy)...all the time...

CrossEyed said:
CA_7 said:

What would you do if you scored your first NFL TD?
Retire immediately and thank God that I had somehow managed to last that long without being killed right on the field.

NOW that the game is over, we can talk about this. TB was awful on offense today, though most of that is because the Steelers are playing lights out. But when Blount was in, he looked really good. Much better than Caddy. Forget about Kareem Huggins, this is the guy. I'm hoping nobody else in my league noticed and I'm grabbing him as soon as I can. I predict that within 2-3 weeks he will be the starter, and I also think this Tampa team is not nearly as bad as they played today. Blount could be the steal that wins you your league this year. Get him!
I saw the game... Blount looked MUCH better than Williams. I always hoped that Williams could make it all the way back after his injuries, but he is never going to be the player he was before he got hurt. How long can TB go with a broken down Caddy?My bet is that Blount splits carries at first and within a few weeks is "the man" in TB. I would grab him now if you haven't already. A play like this wins championships.

NOW that the game is over, we can talk about this. TB was awful on offense today, though most of that is because the Steelers are playing lights out. But when Blount was in, he looked really good. Much better than Caddy. Forget about Kareem Huggins, this is the guy. I'm hoping nobody else in my league noticed and I'm grabbing him as soon as I can. I predict that within 2-3 weeks he will be the starter, and I also think this Tampa team is not nearly as bad as they played today. Blount could be the steal that wins you your league this year. Get him!
I saw the game... Blount looked MUCH better than Williams. I always hoped that Williams could make it all the way back after his injuries, but he is never going to be the player he was before he got hurt. How long can TB go with a broken down Caddy?My bet is that Blount splits carries at first and within a few weeks is "the man" in TB. I would grab him now if you haven't already. A play like this wins championships.
If things dont go this way Blount could always just break Caddy`s jaw and take his job that way :blackdot:

I know this kid has had maturity problems but don't underestimate Raheem's attraction to this guy. He scouted him pretty well before the draft and liked him. Wanted to being him in as a FA but missed out on whatever team it was that signed him first (don't remember off hand). Dominick and Morris seem to have a knack in finding these lost causes (Williams) or diamonds in the rough (Hayes, Stroughter, Biggers, Huggins) late in drafts and they turn out well.

Seems like a reasonable flyer if you have the room. :shrug:

I doubt any running back in Tampa Bay is going to be the reason anyone wins a championship this year. Contribute? Sure, why not? Be a difference maker? Possibly. Win you a championship with ala DeAngelo in 2008? Not going to happen.

Ask yourself how does Blount compare to last weeks waiver wire wonders, Law Firm and Keiland Williams?

Or how does he compare to Torain?

Right now he's just another guy.

If you had the room, who is a better prospect of contributing this year? Torain behind a broken down CP, or Blount behind a broken down Caddy?

:confused:

I don't put to much stock in what Morris tells the media, seems like he's been blowing smoke since this whole fiasco started.. The fact that Huggins practiced all week and said he was fine and ready to play, But Morris say's Huggins was inactive due to injury just cemented it for me.. He's full of it...Maybe we'll get a better idea next game, but for now I'm considering Blount the better waiver pick up...

blount looked very good against an excellent steelers defense. his punk-like tendencies, however, will probably keep him off my roster. but if you can tolerate his antics, he's a nice stash. looks legit to me.

Users who are viewing this thread