What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Lache Seastrunk - RB - Baylor (1 Viewer)

http://www.hogshaven.com/2014/5/10/5705154/jay-gruden-discusses-rounds-4-7.

Gruden presser, post draft today.

Section on Seastrunk...

"Jay Gruden asked to single out a player he's enamored with that the #Redskins drafted today: "Lache Seastrunk." Said his speed's enticing."

"Gruden feels that Seastrunk can be a pass-catching threat out of the backfield. Says Baylor just doesn't throw to RBs."

"Jay Gruden says #Redskins envision Lache Seastrunk initially as "a guy that can spell Alfred and maybe hit the home run.""
If he is enticing because he is fast and can catch then wtf is Roy Helu?

Section on Seastrunk...

"Jay Gruden asked to single out a player he's enamored with that the #Redskins drafted today: "Lache Seastrunk." Said his speed's enticing."

"Gruden feels that Seastrunk can be a pass-catching threat out of the backfield. Says Baylor just doesn't throw to RBs."

"Jay Gruden says #Redskins envision Lache Seastrunk initially as "a guy that can spell Alfred and maybe hit the home run.""
That would be a great question for the team that just drafted his replacement.

Section on Seastrunk...

Helu dreams of the kinds of cuts Seastrunk can make. He's very overrated based on a couple big games a couple years ago, but he's actually pretty limited.

Section on Seastrunk...

That would be a great question for the team that just drafted his replacement.
Hmm. Wish I was at the presser now

Section on Seastrunk...

Helu dreams of the kinds of cuts Seastrunk can make. He's very overrated based on a couple big games a couple years ago, but he's actually pretty limited.
That's another story. All I took from the blurb was he's fast, he can be a threat out the backfield and he can maybe hit a home run.

Section on Seastrunk...

That's another story. All I took from the blurb was he's fast, he can be a threat out the backfield and he can maybe hit a home run.
There was more to it, not sure it will give you what you're looking for:

“Obviously, Lache Seastrunk is an interesting guy because of his speed. He was sitting there later on in the draft, I think he was in the sixth round, and we had him ranked a little bit higher than that and obviously [quarterback] Robert [Griffin III] knows him very well, and so we know a little bit about him. So he’s an interesting guy, I want to see him compete. The only weird thing about him is he didn’t catch any balls at Baylor, but they just don’t throw to their backs. We feel like he can catch the ball good enough.”

On RB Lache Seastrunk’s ability to catch the ball:

“We saw him at the pro days, obviously, and at the combine. He caught the ball fine and obviously Robert knows him and we did our work on him. It works out what he brings."

On the similarities between Seastrunk and Cincinnati RB Giovanni Bernard:

“Well, Gio had a lot more experience out of the backfield catching the ball, you know what I mean? So this guy’s kind of a… If there’s a reach about him, it’s projecting him to be a third down guy who’s catching the ball. What we’re envisioning for him early on is not so much a third down guy but a guy that can spell [running back] Alfred [Morris] and hit the home run. He’s got the breakaway speed and hopefully in time he will be able develop into a pass blocker/receiver.”

Rotoworld:

Coach Jay Gruden does not see Lache Seastrunk as an option on third downs.
Seastrunk had more drops (10) than catches (9) during his two years at Baylor. Gruden says he sees the sixth-round rookie as a candidate to spell two-down workhorse Alfred Morris. Roy Helu's role is safe.

Related: Roy Helu

Source: Washington Post

Rotoworld:

Seastrunk had more drops (10) than catches (9) during his two years at Baylor. Gruden says he sees the sixth-round rookie as a candidate to spell two-down workhorse Alfred Morris. Roy Helu's role is safe.

Typical Rotoworld. Gruden actually said he feels Seastrunk can develop into a receiver and a third down option... but why would they mention that when they've been saying he can't catch the past few months.

“Obviously, Lache Seastrunk is an interesting guy because of his speed. He was sitting there later on in the draft, I think he was in the sixth round, and we had him ranked a little bit higher than that and obviously [quarterback] Robert [Griffin III] knows him very well, and so we know a little bit about him. So he’s an interesting guy, I want to see him compete. The only weird thing about him is he didn’t catch any balls at Baylor, but they just don’t throw to their backs. We feel like he can catch the ball good enough.

“We saw him at the pro days, obviously, and at the combine. He caught the ball fine and obviously Robert knows him and we did our work on him. It works out what he brings. … If there’s a reach about him, it’s projecting him to be a third down guy who’s catching the ball. What we’re envisioning for him early on is not so much a third down guy but a guy that can spell [running back] Alfred [Morris] and hit the home run. He’s got the breakaway speed and hopefully in time he will be able develop into a pass blocker/receiver. "

Rotoworld:

Redskins signed sixth-round RB Lache Seastrunk to a four-year contract.
The stone-handed Seastrunk will have to make his mark on special teams as a rookie. He functions well in space but can't pick up the blitz. The former Baylor Bear will compete with Evan Royster and Chris Thompson this summer.

Rotoworld:

The stone-handed Seastrunk will have to make his mark on special teams as a rookie. He functions well in space but can't pick up the blitz. The former Baylor Bear will compete with Evan Royster and Chris Thompson this summer.
I can't wait for the pre-season to begin and Seastrunk to show he can actually catch the ball (as he did at the combine his proday) and Rotoworld start to backtrack on him. Seems like every write up they have to throw in stone hands or mention his lack of receptions... even though Gruden said they feel he can be a receiving back for them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rotoworld:

I can't wait for the pre-season to begin and Seastrunk to show he can actually catch the ball (as he did at the combine his proday) and Rotoworld start to backtrack on him. Seems like every write up they have to throw in stone hands or mention his lack of receptions... even though Gruden said they feel he can be a receiving back for them.
I like Rotoworld for their speed of reporting factual information only, but their editorial remarks / analysis on players is at the bottom of the reporting spectrum IMO.

Rotoworld:

Typical Rotoworld. Gruden actually said he feels Seastrunk can develop into a receiver and a third down option... but why would they mention that when they've been saying he can't catch the past few months.

“Obviously, Lache Seastrunk is an interesting guy because of his speed. He was sitting there later on in the draft, I think he was in the sixth round, and we had him ranked a little bit higher than that and obviously [quarterback] Robert [Griffin III] knows him very well, and so we know a little bit about him. So he’s an interesting guy, I want to see him compete. The only weird thing about him is he didn’t catch any balls at Baylor, but they just don’t throw to their backs. We feel like he can catch the ball good enough.

“We saw him at the pro days, obviously, and at the combine. He caught the ball fine and obviously Robert knows him and we did our work on him. It works out what he brings. … If there’s a reach about him, it’s projecting him to be a third down guy who’s catching the ball. What we’re envisioning for him early on is not so much a third down guy but a guy that can spell [running back] Alfred [Morris] and hit the home run. He’s got the breakaway speed and hopefully in time he will be able develop into a pass blocker/receiver. "
And those 10 drops being reported have still yet to be really validated. Where did that information ever come from?

Redskins rookie minicamp observationsBy John Keim | ESPN.com

Excerpt:

Need to see more of running back Lache Seastrunk catching the ball. In one drill where players weave through cones and then catch a pass, saw a drop. But to measure his hands, need to see a lot more and in game situations. He’s convinced his hands aren’t an issue.

In a one-on-one drill designed to help special teams, Seastrunk did one of his classic plant and cut moves. He made a hard jab to the left, let the defender bite and then cut back the other way.

For what it’s worth, Seastrunk told the Redskins he would like a shot at returning kicks. Not sure if that will happen or not.

Seastrunk: 'I don't have any weaknesses'

By John Keim | ESPN.com

Lache Seastrunk dodges defenders, planting his leg one way and cutting the other as the would-be tackler reaches another way to grab air. It’s what got him noticed in college. And it’s a style the Redskins hope translates into big plays.

When it comes to talking about his game, the former Baylor running back doesn’t try to be elusive. Rather, he’s direct and it shows in his confidence. He doesn’t dodge critics; he just ignores them and keeps moving forward.

“I feel I don’t have any weaknesses,” he said.

Seastrunk lasted until the sixth round of the draft, which means others saw some weaknesses. But you need confidence to survive in the NFL and there’s no doubt he has it. However, he didn’t come to Washington making grand predictions about what he’d do this fall. Rather, it was about how he felt about his ability. Or, maybe, it was more that he wasn’t worried how others perceived his game (which isn’t bad as well).

That’s why he said his hands aren’t a concern. He caught just nine passes at Baylor -- the Bears rarely threw to their backs.

“Everybody’s gonna have an opinion on what I can do and what my weaknesses are,” he said. “They really don’t know. I feel I can catch the ball well. I feel I can do anything they ask me to….Everyone drops balls. Calvin Johnson drops balls so I’m not worried about that.”

And this: “I felt it was always there. They just never threw me the ball and I continued to work on it when I didn’t get the ball because I felt the opportunity would present itself… Nothing against [baylor quarterback Bryce Petty] he wanted the home run ball. Who doesn’t?”

Another knock on Seastrunk from critics: he bounced his runs to the outside too early. There were times it worked -- quite well, too -- and other times it did not. But Seastrunk said, “It was just a part of the offense. People have their opinions on what I run. They can’t question what I see. They haven’t played the sport before.”

The Redskins hope Seastrunk gives them a player capable of scoring at any time after rushing for 2,189 yards and 18 touchdowns in two seasons at Baylor. But there are questions about his durability. All of this was said about Chris Thompson the previous summer. But Thompson had consecutive seasons of bad injuries (back and knee) and is smaller (by two inches and 18 pounds). The Redskins, for now, do not view Seastrunk as a full-time player -- not with Alfred Morris on the roster. They’re not even counting on Seastrunk as a third-down back with so much to learn in that area.

“The major reach for him would be picking up blitzes and running routes out of the backfield,” Redskins coach Jay Gruden said. “No knock on him, but it might take him time. He has a long way to go, but he’ll get there.”

Seastrunk said he told the coaches he’d like an opportunity to return kicks as well, though it’s something he only did sparingly at Baylor. But what he wants to do most is more of what he did at Baylor: making defenders miss and scoring on long runs.

He does it with a style that he says is based on natural ability and instincts.

“I’ve been playing this game for so long I know how to read people’s bodies. If they give you one direction, just give them a move and go about your way,” he said. “I’m going to try and take it to the house.”

The Redskins, for now, do not view Seastrunk as a full-time player -- not with Alfred Morris on the roster. They’re not even counting on Seastrunk as a third-down back with so much to learn in that area.

“The major reach for him would be picking up blitzes and running routes out of the backfield,” Redskins coach Jay Gruden said. “No knock on him, but it might take him time. He has a long way to go, but he’ll get there.”
So what you're saying Jay is that when he does get there, :bye: Alfred.

Sizing up the rookies: Lache Seastrunk

By John Keim | ESPN.com

The Washington Redskins knew they couldn't count on a draft pick starting immediately, not without a first-round pick. If it happened? Great. So they filled their perceived immediate needs in free agency and hoped several in the draft class could fill roles, some more prominent.

Coach Jay Gruden said the Redskins' free-agency signings should allow the rookies to develop without needing to start immediately. I'll take a look at how the rookies fit in and when they might be needed to play bigger roles.

Player: RB Lache Seastrunk

Why they don’t need him as a starter: Well, they still have Alfred Morris who has rushed for 2,888 yards in his first two seasons. Yes, he needs to improve in the pass game but Morris is adept at constantly getting extra yards – taking what’s available and then some. They also have Roy Helu as a third-down back and backup so Seastrunk, a sixth-round pick, would not be needed for anything other than pinch-hitting duty this year.

Future role: Change-of-pace back/third downs. There was concern among analysts before the draft that Seastrunk would not be durable enough for a full-time role. Seastrunk missed a couple games in two seasons because of groin and hamstring issues. He's only 5-foot-9 and 201 pounds, but Cincinnati’s Giovani Bernard is the same height and seven pounds heavier. So he’s probably a good model for Seastrunk in the future. Last season, under then-offensive coordinator Jay Gruden, Bernard ran the ball 170 times and caught 56 passes.

When he might need to be ready: 2015. That is, for a bigger role. Helu is a free agent after next season so if Seastrunk develops then the Redskins can move on from Helu if so desired. Morris remains under contract for two more seasons and, barring injury, he remains a good fit in the run game (considering the Redskins won’t be changing a whole lot in this area). The Redskins also have Evan Royster and second-year back Chris Thompson, though it's hard to imagine a new coach cutting one of his draft picks to keep someone else's. Besides, Seastrunk was effective at making defenders miss in college, especially in a spread situation. It would work well under Gruden.

What he must work on: Everything that pertains to third downs. He will have to show in a game that his hands aren't an issue, either -- in the pass game or when it comes to fumbling. But this is not just about can he catch the ball; with work I’m sure he can improve if it is indeed an issue. But he needs to learn how to run routes out of the backfield, not just going to the flat but learning how to set up a linebacker and break free. Morris is still learning this. Seastrunk also has to improve in protection; in college he would do it but not with the fire of, say, Clinton Portis (who was unusual in this regard). But Seastrunk will have to learn how not only to block, but who is coming and from where. It takes time. Seastrunk also has to learn how to run out of an I-formation, among other things. He's a good one-cut runner especially when he doesn't try to hit a homer each time. He'll need to learn when to bounce against NFL defenders, but he showed in college he could be an exciting runner.

I love this landing spot for Seastrunk. A creative OC will have a blast drawing up plays utilizing his speed in conjunction with RG3.

Options galore.

His only obstacle is Alfred Morris who was a 6th Rounder himself.

May 30 - 3:22 PM

ESPN 980 Washington's Chris Russell suggests Redskins sixth-round pick Lache Seastrunk could end up on the practice squad.
Russell notes new coach Jay Gruden was a fan of holdover RB Chris Thompson coming out of Florida State.
Thompson and Seastrunk have similar skills, and the former is better in the passing game. Per Russell, Seastrunk "has a long way to go."
He dropped too many passes at Baylor, and struggles in pass protection.

He's a damn fine runner. Unfortunately you need to be good at blitz pickup in the NFL. I really don't see any reason why the Skins couldn't roster Morris, Helu, Thompson and Seastrunk. Barring injury I'm doing everything in my power to keep him on the one league I drafted him in. If he hits in the NFL he's going to be big, reminds me of young Clinton Portis or Lesean McCoy as far as his running style.

Bojang0301 said:
He's a damn fine runner. Unfortunately you need to be good at blitz pickup in the NFL. I really don't see any reason why the Skins couldn't roster Morris, Helu, Thompson and Seastrunk. Barring injury I'm doing everything in my power to keep him on the one league I drafted him in. If he hits in the NFL he's going to be big, reminds me of young Clinton Portis or Lesean McCoy as far as his running style.
1) If he's a damn fine runner, he would've been picked higher than round 6. Mason isn't great in pass pro and he went in round 3.

2) Portis/McCoy college tape>>>>>Seastrunk

Bojang0301 said:
1) If he's a damn fine runner, he would've been picked higher than round 6. Mason isn't great in pass pro and he went in round 3.

2) Portis/McCoy college tape>>>>>Seastrunk
Why did Crowell go undrafted, or Arian Foster, or Priest Holmes? If your eyes tell you he's not, fine. I think you're wrong though. All it takes if for one team to be enamored with a player. Maybe Lache is stupid, maybe he has a lot of character risks. I don't know. Clearly he's behind the curb of other Running Backs but that doesn't mean he isn't talented. I think Mason is a fine back and you picked that comparison out like I was insulting him by comparing Lache to great backs. Mason has outstanding vision and is great at cutting back. Also has good power for his size. Mason's style is more apt for the NFL as most times you have to take what is given to be a successful back. Lache is high movement and, like most speedsters, had a tendency to bounce some outside. Not as bad as I've seen in other runners so it can be curbed. But that just adds to a long list of things he needs to be coached up on.

Lache Seastrunk - RB - Redskins
ESPN Redskins reporter John Keim expects sixth-round rookie Lache Seastrunk to be utilized as a "spot player" on offense this year.
Keim doesn't see Seastrunk as a candidate for Washington's third-down back job after a drop-filled college career where he struggled mightily in blitz pickup. He could still be a change-of-pace weapon on 3-5 carries per game. The Redskins will open the season with Alfred Morris and Roy Helu as their top two running backs. Seastrunk is the favorite to be No. 3, ahead of Chris Thompson.

Source: ESPN.com
Jul 17 - 10:36 AM

cstu said:
First good mention I've seen about Seastrunk catching the ball:

Son of Washington ‏@SonofWashington 2h

Wheel route to Seastrunk. Gorgeous pass catch and run. Big play. #redskins #httr #skinscamp
There have already been other mentions:

" Seastrunk proved to be as advertised showing extreme burst and playmaking ability. Seastrunk also did a nice job catching the ball out of the backfield, I saw him make two difficult grabs (one low and one behind him). Catching the ball out of the backfield is a huge part of Jay Gruden’s offense and the quicker Seastrunk can pick it up the better it will be for him. Both Seastrunk and Thomas worked on returning punts as well."

"-- Running backs: The guy who stood out to me was rookie Lache Seastrunk. Showed off his hands when he snagged a low pass that was just over the ground. Also showed off speed and agility in the rain. Lots of potential in that guy. Evan Royster got a bunch of reps. He looked OK - nothing really stood out. Alfred Morris looked good as always."

"● Rookie Lache Seastrunk — one of Thompson’s competitors — didn’t have much experience as a pass-catcher while at Baylor, but he appears to be comfortable in this capacity for the Redskins. Seastrunk during one play in one-on-one drills made a juggling catch with linebacker Will Compton draped over him."

"—It looks as though Lache Seastrunk is picking up some of the tricks of the pass catching trade. In some one on one coverage drills Will Compton grabbed on to the rookie running back as he tried to go over the middle. Seastrunk fought his way free and caught the pass."

Silas Redd has been running ahead of Seastrunk and has looked better, especially when it came to life tackling.

http://www.timesdispatch.com/redskins-xtra/live-tackling-highlights-feisty-redskins-practice/article_1f00c036-167a-11e4-acaf-001a4bcf6878.html

Redd, an undrafted free agent out of Southern California, worked with the second team. He picked up 3 yards on a second-and-1 situation, then shed a tackle from linebacker Akeem Jordan to gain about 19 yards. He also had a 6-yard run, and may have been the target of an end zone pass that fell between him and tight end Niles Paul.
“This is my one opportunity,” Redd said. “I hope God will let me do this for a long time. That’s what I’m praying and working for.”
Seastrunk, a sixth-round draft pick, had less success. He received a pair of handoffs that didn’t go anywhere.

Every single Redskins RB is getting training camp buzz except for Royster. The preseason is going to be huge for these guys.

Rotoworld:

Lache Seastrunk - RB - Redskins

Sixth-round rookie Lache Seastrunk rushed 12 times for 63 yards in the Redskins' preseason opener against the Patriots.

Seastrunk didn't get the ball until the fourth quarter, but shined once he did, flashing his eye-popping speed while making precise cuts. Even though it came against third-string defenders, it was an impressive performance, one that could get Seastrunk some earlier run in the Redskins' next preseason game. Seastrunk is fighting for a change-of-pace role behind starter Alfred Morris and third-down back Roy Helu.

Aug 7 - 11:41 PM

I've stuck by what I've said - he's the best pure runner in this class. He needs to work on his hands to be a top RB in fantasy and he's stuck behind Morris for a couple more years, but he could be the starter in 2016.
I couldn't care less if he ever becomes a starter. He can be a CJ Spiller type guy.

ETA: Was a bit harsh on CJ.

I've stuck by what I've said - he's the best pure runner in this class. He needs to work on his hands to be a top RB in fantasy and he's stuck behind Morris for a couple more years, but he could be the starter in 2016.
Agree and said so somewhere in this thread. This is the kind of guy that should have been drafted by Jacksonville and given a shot. He clearly could make a lot of an opportunity.

Agree and said so somewhere in this thread. This is the kind of guy that should have been drafted by Jacksonville and given a shot. He clearly could make a lot of an opportunity.
Yeah, Jacksonville would have been good. I also have a weird feeling that he could have been electric with the Saints.

What does pure runner mean? Like running a 10K or something?
So is this a legit question?
Likely not. Skypager dabbles in comic relief for the SP it seems - he usually pops in, throws out some decent attempts at a joke or two, then moves on...

Thanks MoveToSkypager.

Pedestrian RB class here is 2014...

Huh - you don't say...
4th quarter? I see nothing to get excited about.
Lol, so if Adrian Peterson tore them up in the 4th quarter would you dismiss it as well?

The cuts this guy was making were sick. We know he dominated in college, we know he can dominate an NFL teams scrubs.

Who knows? I think he can be used similar to Ellington. I think Seastrunk is the better talent of the two.

Morris was also a 6th Rounder so it's not like he has to beat out a guy with Pedigree.

Huh - you don't say...
Lol, so if Adrian Peterson tore them up in the 4th quarter would you dismiss it as well?The cuts this guy was making were sick. We know he dominated in college, we know he can dominate an NFL teams scrubs.

Who knows? I think he can be used similar to Ellington. I think Seastrunk is the better talent of the two.

Morris was also a 6th Rounder so it's not like he has to beat out a guy with Pedigree.
He isn't Peterson. It was against the 4th string in the first preseason game. Don't respond to my posts with your nonsense please. Feel free to bump this to eat my crow when he rushes for 2000 yards ala Peterson.

Huh - you don't say...
Lol, so if Adrian Peterson tore them up in the 4th quarter would you dismiss it as well?The cuts this guy was making were sick. We know he dominated in college, we know he can dominate an NFL teams scrubs.

He isn't Peterson. It was against the 4th string in the first preseason game. Don't respond to my posts with your nonsense please. Feel free to bump this to eat my crow when he rushes for 2000 yards ala Peterson.
Nonsense? Here's a better comparison for you. Alfred Morris. Was taken in the 6th Round showed up to play and took the starting job.

These things happen. He proved he was a step above those scrubs. I am sure he has earned more relevant snaps.

Let's see how much he plays next week.

Marathon, I expect to see him on the 2016 Olympic team...

Seriously though, I don't know how anyone can watch more than a few minutes of Seastrunk and not recognize his running ability. My only concern with him are his hands since a back his size needs to be a multidimensional threat.

Marathon, I expect to see him on the 2016 Olympic team...

Seriously though, I don't know how anyone can watch more than a few minutes of Seastrunk and not recognize his running ability. My only concern with him are his hands since a back his size needs to be a multidimensional threat.
I'm not all that concerned with his hands - I think he CAN and WILL catch the football and be a difference maker on this team. When is the concern... if he continues where he left off last night the next couple of weeks, he'll be spelling Morris over Helu IMO. Helu has the 3rd down job locked up for now, but Lache is going to be hard to keep off the field when he's giving a chance at that job if you ask me.

Instead of "I'm so fancy", Lache says "I'm so flashy."

Rotoworld:

Redskins coach Jay Gruden cited pass protection as a concern for sixth-round rookie RB Lache Seastrunk.
Seastrunk flashed playmaking ability with 12 carries for 63 yards in Friday's preseason opener, but didn't play until the fourth quarter and needs to show he can function in the passing game. With Chris Thompson also struggling in pass pro and now hurt, Roy Helu is locked in as Washington's No. 2 back.

Source: Chris Russell on Twitter

Rotoworld:

Redskins coach Jay Gruden cited pass protection as a concern for sixth-round rookie RB Lache Seastrunk.
Seastrunk flashed playmaking ability with 12 carries for 63 yards in Friday's preseason opener, but didn't play until the fourth quarter and needs to show he can function in the passing game. With Chris Thompson also struggling in pass pro and now hurt, Roy Helu is locked in as Washington's No. 2 back.

Source: Chris Russell on Twitter
Will be interesting to see them actually give him some shots at pass protection or targets in the passing game in the upcoming preseason games. With the Skins up 20-0, they had 1 passing play where Seastrunk was sent on a go route up the right side of the field and a rusher sacked McCoy coming from the left side. Other than that, they just pounded the ball the entire 4th quarter.

Just landed him at 2.13 in a start 2 RB 16-teamer... giggity. I think he's gonna shine when the opportunities start coming. Also hope they give him a shot on kick returns... that could be suh-weet.

Who's driving this bandwagon? Has anyone called shotgun?

:hifive:

Users who are viewing this thread