What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Lacy (1 Viewer)

Cyclones

Footballguy
Some website projections are very high on Lacy this weekend, as the Lions run D stinks - others are ranking Franklin higher citing a possible split in carries. Any homers have insight on what the split is going to look like? Lacy obviously gets the goal line carries, are we looking at 50/50 other than that?

Lions run D doesn't "stink". They are always tough against GB as well. Last year GB leading rushers vs Detroit had 74yds, and 69yds in the 2 games they played with no rushing TD by the leading rusher. I don't see Lacy doing better than that especially since he'll be splitting time with Franklin.

On top of that, Lions run D is better this year, and GB's O line is worse than last year.

Lions run D doesn't "stink". They are always tough against GB as well. Last year GB leading rushers vs Detroit had 74yds, and 69yds in the 2 games they played with no rushing TD by the leading rusher. I don't see Lacy doing better than that especially since he'll be splitting time with Franklin.

On top of that, Lions run D is better this year, and GB's O line is worse than last year.
Few things...last year means what now?

Last year GB did not have Lacy or Franklin (which is what this thread is about).

Alex Green in one game (he went 13-69...5.4 yards per carry) Harris added 7-31 and a TD in that game. The other game it was Starks who was just ok...what we expected from Starks.

Run blocking wise...last year's GB line was not worse than this year's either. And it shows in how they run the ball (averaged 106 per game last year...averaging 128 on the ground this year)

The Lions D is allowing 110 yards per game...pretty similar to the 118 they allowed last season.

So your points don't seem to hold much water.

As for the original question.

Nobody knows for sure how it would go.

The gut feeling by many (in other topics just like this) is that it will be Lacy being the bell cow getting at least 60% of the carries...but probably more int he 75% range.

This of course is hard to predict as many (me included) feel McCarthy will do the whole "ride the hot hand" thing. So if one game Lacy is struggling and Franklin breaks a few...that percentage will shift. But it won't necessarily carry over into the next game.

Good luck guessing who leads in rushing this week, or gets a rushing TD. It's just as likely to be Rodgers. GB will use both backs like they usually do when they have more than 1 capable RB. Sure the Lions "average" over 100yds rushing allowed but there has not been any single RB with over 100yds vs them. Averages and yds/carry stats are highly misleading.

I may be stuck with starting Lacy myself but this is not the slam dunk matchup everyone seems to think it is.

LAcy was clearly the more talented RB in camp and in the first couple of weeks. His injury was a concussion, meaning he will come back 100% (unlike what sometimes happens coming off a knee, ankle, or groin injury). While Franklin has certainly earned a few game-day touches, there's no reason to expect Lacy to garner less than 65% or so of the touches.

puckalicious said:
Good luck guessing who leads in rushing this week, or gets a rushing TD. It's just as likely to be Rodgers. GB will use both backs like they usually do when they have more than 1 capable RB. Sure the Lions "average" over 100yds rushing allowed but there has not been any single RB with over 100yds vs them. Averages and yds/carry stats are highly misleading.

I may be stuck with starting Lacy myself but this is not the slam dunk matchup everyone seems to think it is.
I'm in that boat too, but I also have Rodgers - this has the potential to be a shootout, it almost feels like one of those games where everybody on each offense could score.

Where I have Lacy, I am starting him.

I don't have Franklin but would only start him as a flex/RB4 and wouldn't feel good about it in non-PPR.

puckalicious said:

So you go from claims about the Lions D and Packers Oline (that are statistically incorrect)...to this?

Averages and yards per carry stats are quite strong. Stating which GB back ran for 100 yards against them last year is pretty misleading...given they had not had a back rush for 100 yards in a game for quite a long time til week 2...then did it again with another back in week 3.

puckalicious said:

That's not really true at all. Ryan Grant was a bell cow when he was with the team, as was Cedric Benson in 2012 prior to his injury. 2011 and 2012 (following the Benson injury) is actually the only years where Mccarthy hasn't used a bell cow, which is actually what he prefers. The only time he doesn't use that is when the quality of running backs is weak, not when there are more than one capable RBs, like you said.

The question is whether he sees Lacy as a true top RB. Considering that Frankin was third on the depth chart prior to the Lacy injury, and he fumbled their last game away, I tend to believe that Lacy will get a ton of carries.

Being that this game could turn into a shootout Lacy's numbers might be pedestrian. That being said I think Lacy will get the bulk of the carries 75% + with Franklin getting a couple. Figure if Lacy gets 75% that would be approximately 18+ carries with Franklin/ Kuhn, etc. snatching 6 to 10 if GB runs 65+ plays. This could be a feast or famine start depending on how the game goes, I would start Lacey though.

Per PFF, Packers’ running backs have averaged 6.5 yards per carry between the tackles.

but!

[SIZE=medium]Teams have averaged 7.3 yards per carry on runs outside the tackles against the Lions[/SIZE]

Last edited by a moderator:
Lacy will get 70 yards and a TD, the Lions will give up a couple big runs

sig.jpg

After a week off....I am starting all Packers. Rodgers didn't look good the week before. Im guessing we don't see 2 of those in a row.

There is a chance for anyone to get stats.

puckalicious said:

So you go from claims about the Lions D and Packers Oline (that are statistically incorrect)...to this?

Averages and yards per carry stats are quite strong. Stating which GB back ran for 100 yards against them last year is pretty misleading...given they had not had a back rush for 100 yards in a game for quite a long time til week 2...then did it again with another back in week 3.
And you keep saying how the past doesn't matter... yet you keep referencing things in the past. :) And ease up on the tool factor while you're at it, we're all just giving opinions here so lets do it in a civil manner.

My point is that "statistics" don't necessarily tell the story about a team's talent level. Sometimes cherry picking useless stats like rush yds allowed paints a completely different picture. Based on this you would think SF's run defense is horrible since they allowed 151 yds last week. Or by using yds/carry vs the Lions - they have 85 carries for 443 yds on the season for 5.2yds/carry. Just 2 of these carries accounted for 30% of the yards against them for 131yds. So yes, it is possible to break off a long run against them but otherwise it's more like 3.75yds/carry discounting those 2 long runs.

Does Lacy have the talent level of ADP or Forte? He's more of a bruising RB not a speedy guy like those two. How likely do you think he can rip off a 50+ yard run?

Like others have said, this game is more likely to be a shootout with little rushing going on. Odds are Lacy gets around 50yds on the day and with luck there's a TD as well.

I'll probably start him but not expecting more than about 5 points. My options at RB2 are pretty slim, not that anyone here cares.

puckalicious said:

And you keep saying how the past doesn't matter... yet you keep referencing things in the past. :) And ease up on the tool factor while you're at it, we're all just giving opinions here so lets do it in a civil manner.

My point is that "statistics" don't necessarily tell the story about a team's talent level. Sometimes cherry picking useless stats like rush yds allowed paints a completely different picture. Based on this you would think SF's run defense is horrible since they allowed 151 yds last week. Or by using yds/carry vs the Lions - they have 85 carries for 443 yds on the season for 5.2yds/carry. Just 2 of these carries accounted for 30% of the yards against them for 131yds. So yes, it is possible to break off a long run against them but otherwise it's more like 3.75yds/carry discounting those 2 long runs.

Does Lacy have the talent level of ADP or Forte? He's more of a bruising RB not a speedy guy like those two. How likely do you think he can rip off a 50+ yard run?

Like others have said, this game is more likely to be a shootout with little rushing going on. Odds are Lacy gets around 50yds on the day and with luck there's a TD as well.

I'll probably start him but not expecting more than about 5 points. My options at RB2 are pretty slim, not that anyone here cares.
Im stating that worrying about what the Packers did with Alex Green running behind a line with Marshall Newhouse is not indicative of what they will do with Bakhtiari and Lacy and Franklin. But that historical stats will show that they are a better run blocking unit...and historical stats will show that Detroit's run defense is not faring better this year than last (thus far this season).

My posts have been quite civil...so, you can ease up throwing around "tool factor".

What stats did I cherry pick?

Any stat you want to use will show that...

A. Despite your claims, the Packers are a better run blocking line this year that last year.

B. Despite your claims, the Lions run D is so far faring worse this year than last year.

C. Despite your cherry picking the 100 yard rusher stat, GB actually did have some success running the ball against the Lions last year.

D. GB is running better with their RBs and line this year than they did last year.

I completely disagree with your odds about Lacy's total.

If he gets the carries (15+and I believe he will)...70 and a TD seems to be the floor here. Breaking 100 would depend on 2 things. Breaking at least a 20 yarder...and McCarthy sticking with him and the run in general (something he has done this year)

sho nuff said:
puckalicious said:
sho nuff said:
puckalicious said:

Im stating that worrying about what the Packers did with Alex Green running behind a line with Marshall Newhouse is not indicative of what they will do with Bakhtiari and Lacy and Franklin. But that historical stats will show that they are a better run blocking unit...and historical stats will show that Detroit's run defense is not faring better this year than last (thus far this season).

My posts have been quite civil...so, you can ease up throwing around "tool factor".

What stats did I cherry pick?

Any stat you want to use will show that...

A. Despite your claims, the Packers are a better run blocking line this year that last year.

B. Despite your claims, the Lions run D is so far faring worse this year than last year.

C. Despite your cherry picking the 100 yard rusher stat, GB actually did have some success running the ball against the Lions last year.

D. GB is running better with their RBs and line this year than they did last year.

I completely disagree with your odds about Lacy's total.

If he gets the carries (15+and I believe he will)...70 and a TD seems to be the floor here. Breaking 100 would depend on 2 things. Breaking at least a 20 yarder...and McCarthy sticking with him and the run in general (something he has done this year)
Lacey has a low floor and a med. high ceiling for this game depending on how the game progresses. While Det has a high ypc against, it is inflated with a couple of long runs per 19 carries (approx). When you take that into account Det. ypc against is a paltry 2.7, with GB's offensive scheme I think he will find some room to run but I have tempered my expectations. I'm figuring 65 with .5 tds low and 105 and 1.75 tds high. This can be a highly volatile play especially in the red-zone where GB likes to throw, figure 65% pass and 35% run with a higher % pass within 25 to 5 yards.

Keep in mind that Det has allowed 6 long runs of 85 attempts this year which account for 50% of their yards against, and 2 of those rushes were wr's (think cobb). All I'm saying is don't be surprised if Lacey has a great day or drops a big turd, it is just as likely either way. And yes I would still play him.

Ahh...the old, take the long run out, thing.

How about we don't take out runs that actually happened. That even if Lacy does not go as long as those runs...he may still break something decently long that would have skewed that 2.7 YPC a bit higher.

While GB has liked to throw in the redzone...the RBs have also been scoring this year.

Franklin, Starks, and Lacy all have TDs this year.

Now with Calvin out...GB may just be able to lean on Lacy some more in the 2nd half too.

WIth some of the bad matchups today...Lacy looks like a very good play.

Yeah Calvin out makes a huge difference to this game as we can already see in the first half. Wish I would have started Lacy now! Didn't get the Calvin news until too late.

would be nice if McCarthy would use him in the redzone that last drive.

3rd and 1 play action gake to Cobb isn't fooling people.

Users who are viewing this thread