What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ladarius Green's value (1 Viewer)

Hearing that Green is on track to return week 7. The Steelers have a bye week 8, so it would make sense to give him until week 9 (although week 7 is against the Patriots). For those who have short bench leagues, he is someone to keep an eye on as that date inches closer. As we head into week 5, looks like another 2 weeks away.

I know the hype was there when they signed Green. What are some realistic expectations once he returns?

This guy is getting harder and harder to hold on to and there's so many weapons in Pitt. 
Reports are saying Week 7 vs NE is when he could be back. Aside from Bell & Brown, there really isn't anybody else on this team, weapon wise, that strikes fear in an opponent. Wheaton/Rogers/Bey/James are average to below average talent.

Reports are saying Week 7 vs NE is when he could be back. Aside from Bell & Brown, there really isn't anybody else on this team, weapon wise, that strikes fear in an opponent. Wheaton/Rogers/Bey/James are average to below average talent.
With Bell, Brown and Ben pretty much everyone becomes a weapon. I also think that Sammy Coates is becoming more and more of a threat.   That said, the Steelers have been making due with Jesse James, Xavier Grimble and David Johnson but I think if Green was 100% he would definitely make an impact.

The problem is the reports have been so sketchy that we have no idea what the real story is with this guy.

Last edited by a moderator:
With Bell, Brown and Ben pretty much everyone becomes a weapon. I also think that Sammy Coates is becoming more and more of a threat.   That said, the Steelers have been making due with Jesse James, Xavier Grimble and David Johnson but I think if Green was 100% he would definitely make an impact.

The problem is the reports have been so sketchy that we have no idea what the real story is with this guy.
If healthy he has the ability to be a top 5 TE in my opinion. We'll see if that healthy part happens anytime soon.

I'm a little concerned JJ has established himself in the Redzone but I believe in green's talent. So hopefully he can push JJ out of the way come playoff time. I'm holding Green on my roster because I think he has a decent chance.

I'm a little concerned JJ has established himself in the Redzone but I believe in green's talent. So hopefully he can push JJ out of the way come playoff time. I'm holding Green on my roster because I think he has a decent chance.
JJ had no yard after catch ability and is a horrible blocker. Green was the Steelers big free agent signing and big Ben is talking him up already. James is not a concern. Only greens health.

I picked him up today.... If he comes back and clicks it could be a genius move.... If he stays out or comes back and splits time no biggy I keep rolling ertz out onto the field . We use faab for all free agents so rather pick him up now for a buck then in 3 weeks after a good game for 8 bucks.

JJ had no yard after catch ability and is a horrible blocker. Green was the Steelers big free agent signing and big Ben is talking him up already. James is not a concern. Only greens health.
Yes, he has struggled mightily at blocking and he was supposed to be real good at it.

Yes, he has struggled mightily at blocking and he was supposed to be real good at it.
I'm not sure where this notion that Green isn't good in the Red zone is coming from......I'm kinda of excited to see him work with Big Ben down there and if they line him up in the slot a lot I think he could have some nice yardage totals too. The problem is JJ sucks at blocking and Green is decent so it might mean he stays in to block more and not run as many routes. I hope that doesn't happen.

Big Ben isn't going to ignore him running down the field wide open like Rivers did though........

I'm not seeing the upside as was the case in pre-season. At that time, with Bryant suspended, Green seemed like the de facto #2 option in the passing game after Brown (really #3 if you consider Bell). But with the emergence of Coates and Wheaton, and James and Rogers (before he got hurt) also showing something, I'm not sure there will be consistent targets for Green. Lots of mouths to feed now - great for Big Ben, not as much for all the options not named Brown and Bell.

I'm not seeing the upside as was the case in pre-season. At that time, with Bryant suspended, Green seemed like the de facto #2 option in the passing game after Brown (really #3 if you consider Bell). But with the emergence of Coates and Wheaton, and James and Rogers (before he got hurt) also showing something, I'm not sure there will be consistent targets for Green. Lots of mouths to feed now - great for Big Ben, not as much for all the options not named Brown and Bell.
I've watched 3 of their games this season. After Bell and Brown, Ben doesn't have a favorite. Last week they force fed Coates all game and while he had a big game, he dropped 5 passes that hit him square in the hands. They need someone to emerge in that offense and they aren't going to be able to gift wrap passes to Coates all game. If Green is out there and able to make plays, Green is going to get the looks, I would imagine. I did hear that Coates had a cut on his hand. Not sure how that impacted his catching ability. But this offense has the potential to be very dynamic. They gave him a good sized contract and had high hopes for him. He's shown what he can do in the past. If he is healthy there should be some serious upside. But being healthy is his biggest obstacle at this point.

I understand this concern, and it might be valid, but Coates will not typically run the same routes as Green would, and there has been no emergence by Wheaton (he is hurt again, as well).  Rogers had a good game week 1 (albeit a fluky TD), a poor week 2, and has been injured since.  The concern, for me, would be if James and the other TEs will "split the TE pot" with Green if/when he returns, as opposed to Green being the sole TE, for FF purposes.

Bell isn't normally going to get 9 targets a game either.......There's some meat on the bone for Green. If he's as good as I think he is he'll carve out a role......

Keep in mind he's not yet practiced since he signed I don't believe. That's my biggest concern with someone new to the team. If have extremely large rosters, sure throw him end of bench. I don't think it's a given he's activated nor believe James just goes away.

I think it's good news for dynasty owners. At least it appears he'll play again.

Keep in mind he's not yet practiced since he signed I don't believe. That's my biggest concern with someone new to the team. If have extremely large rosters, sure throw him end of bench. I don't think it's a given he's activated nor believe James just goes away.
This is my main concern. Have not practiced with Steelers, coming off injury, not in game shape.

Im afraid they limit him snaps all season and we see some weird TEBC. Having to hold him for 3-4 weeks for that to happen is risky of you're fighting to stay in the playoff race.

Looks like he plans on practicing next week. Maybe get him a little (very little) game action before the week 8 bye, have him ready for the playoff push (i.e. fantasy playoff time). More likely he is a game day inactive in week 7, debuting in week 9, IMO.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2016/10/12/Steelers-TE-Ladarius-Green-plans-to-return-next-week/stories/201610120196
So he is eligible to practice and play after this weekend (Oct 16)?  What is PIT's history with players coming back from injury - do they put them out there right away or do they "bring them back slowly" like we've seen this year with KC (Charles) and NE (Gronk)?

So he is eligible to practice and play after this weekend (Oct 16)?  What is PIT's history with players coming back from injury - do they put them out there right away or do they "bring them back slowly" like we've seen this year with KC (Charles) and NE (Gronk)?
From what I can recall; if they can practice, Tomlin gives then their "normal" role.  

Since Green has never played a snap (or had a single practice, I believe) with Pitt, I don't know what would constitute his "normal" role.

From what I can recall; if they can practice, Tomlin gives then their "normal" role.  

Since Green has never played a snap (or had a single practice, I believe) with Pitt, I don't know what would constitute his "normal" role.
There is too much question to rely on any points in week 7, even if he practices fully without restriction for the entire week.

From a team perspective, it would make the most sense to build the game plan around James (who has been progressing nicely and is showing an aggressiveness catching the ball that is a fantastic red zone skill) and use Green as the backup TE - then with the bye you have 2 weeks of practice with which to integrate Green into the starting lineup.

Week 7? I expect the Steelers to let him run 10-15 routes, get his feet wet with some run blocking, maybe 2-4 targets. If he gets more than 25% of the snaps and Ben shows confidence in his play, I'd feel good starting him in week 9 as my TE1.

Week 9 is the week of interest for me.  Think it'd be surprising if we learned much this week (Jones @ QB, Green just coming off PUP, low snap count if he does play, etc).

I dropped Green for Doyle earlier this week.  There are better options out there for the time being.  Maybe Green starts to have value once we get closer to the fantasy playoffs but I wouldn't hold him all that time unless you can afford to burn a roster spot for the next 5 weeks.

I dropped Green for Doyle earlier this week.  There are better options out there for the time being.  Maybe Green starts to have value once we get closer to the fantasy playoffs but I wouldn't hold him all that time unless you can afford to burn a roster spot for the next 5 weeks.
Plus, with Big Ben out, how much value does he have even if he comes back and plays?  

Looks like Green is going to practice this week.

Seems like a good stash, if only because I think the Steelers want to get some value out of the big contract they gave him.

Still, even with limited passing options, it's hard to get too excited given that he never had a training camp to develop chemistry with Big Ben, and not a given that he'll get a ton of snaps at the expense of James.

Looks like Green is going to practice this week.

Seems like a good stash, if only because I think the Steelers want to get some value out of the big contract they gave him.

Still, even with limited passing options, it's hard to get too excited given that he never had a training camp to develop chemistry with Big Ben, and not a given that he'll get a ton of snaps at the expense of James.
Can he utilize his size/speed combo and get deep?  While maintaining a modicum of blocking -- something James has been terrible at this year.

Green (ankle) working with first-team offense

Ladarius Green (ankle, PUP) worked with the first-team offense for part of Wednesday's practice.
Green said he's "encouraged" by his progress, but his status for Week 10 against the Cowboys will remain a coach's decision. If Green does play, he'll probably be on a snap count, which takes him off the board for fantasy purposes.

Green is under the radar.  Anybody think he can get it going down the stretch?  Thinking about adding this wildcard.

Depth chart has Jesse James as #1.  That's not true when Green gets all the way back, correct?  I am dreaming of a playoff run.

Green is under the radar.  Anybody think he can get it going down the stretch?  Thinking about adding this wildcard.

Depth chart has Jesse James as #1.  That's not true when Green gets all the way back, correct?  I am dreaming of a playoff run.
Ben and Haley would both prefer Green out there.  Don't worry about the depth chart. Just worry about him staying healthy.

He had 4 targets in 12 snaps on offense. James had 4 targets on 52 snaps. He right at #10 ROS.

Really really tempted to start him over Witten this week vs Cleveland. Love the matchup. But now he's partial participant due to knee tweak so not sure of its too early to trust him. 

Is Sammy Watkins (for the block) more valuable than Ladarious Green (pseudo lotto ticket) ROS? 
Depends on your scoring system and bench size, of course.

I see Watkins as another Lotto ticket given the schedule and the lack of anything but one weekend wonders on the waiver wire.  Blocking seems to be a waste of time unless you have an extensive bench size.  Green will be similar, but have the TDs rather than the yards given his size.  But at least Green is playing....

I picked up both as I try to play the long game.  I would drop Watkins first just because Green gives me more options in the next few weeks

Assuming he plays this week as expected I'm gonna use him as my Gates bye week replacement. Matchup is wonderful. Browns are horrible vs. TEs and the Steelers were targeting him a ton when he was on the field last week. They clearly want to get him the ball. I may even throw him into a DFS tourney lineup given how cheap he is. 

Assuming he plays this week as expected I'm gonna use him as my Gates bye week replacement. Matchup is wonderful. Browns are horrible vs. TEs and the Steelers were targeting him a ton when he was on the field last week. They clearly want to get him the ball. I may even throw him into a DFS tourney lineup given how cheap he is. 
Would you start Doyle vs TEN over Green? I'm assuming Green is going to be a part of the Steelers plans for the stretch run and that they'll go up big vs Cleveland and just use James as to not risk further injury. Am I overthinking this? 

Ladarius Green (knee) was a full participant at Thursday's practice.
That's un upgrade from Wednesday when he was limited. Green logged just 12 snaps last week in his season debut. He'll play more than that Sunday versus Cleveland, but we'd wait a bit before employing him as a TE1 in fantasy.
Yeah I wouldn't sleep on Green and take a "wait and see approach" to rostering him. The position has been shallow as #### this year and PIT made a concerted effort to get him involved when he was on the field (16% of the snaps, 4 targets).

As for starting him, it's risky but if his target total vs. DAL is predictive of what we can expect moving forward I don't see it as crazy assuming you don't have a no-brainer option.

Ladarius Green (knee) was a full participant at Thursday's practice.
That's un upgrade from Wednesday when he was limited. Green logged just 12 snaps last week in his season debut. He'll play more than that Sunday versus Cleveland, but we'd wait a bit before employing him as a TE1 in fantasy.
Yeah I wouldn't sleep on Green and take a "wait and see approach" to rostering him. The position has been shallow as #### this year and PIT made a concerted effort to get him involved when he was on the field (16% of the snaps, 4 targets).

As for starting him, it's risky but if his target total vs. DAL is predictive of what we can expect moving forward I don't see it as crazy assuming you don't have a no-brainer option.
I agree with the risk but TEs pretty much blow this year outside of the top few and I'm scraping the bottom of the barrel to find someone to replace Gates this week so I'm locking in Green this week with the fantastic matchup, hoping last week's target per snap count was a sign of things to come and hoping it all leads to something fun to watch on Sunday. 

I agree with the risk but TEs pretty much blow this year outside of the top few and I'm scraping the bottom of the barrel to find someone to replace Gates this week so I'm locking in Green this week with the fantastic matchup, hoping last week's target per snap count was a sign of things to come and hoping it all leads to something fun to watch on Sunday. 
In the same boat; made the same analysis.  :hifive:

Good Info here guys, thanks!

He was still out there surprisingly and I just picked him up.  Still debating on Doyle or him to start this week.  Finally dropped Barnidge, what a waste.

Agree with packersfan,  TEs pretty much blow this year outside of the top few.  Drafted Barnidge in the 8th round, thought he was good value, Witten would have been a better choice, but only the last few weeks.  Not one TE has come out of no where to be a top 10 TE.  Hoping Green fits the bill.

Good Info here guys, thanks!

He was still out there surprisingly and I just picked him up.  Still debating on Doyle or him to start this week.  Finally dropped Barnidge, what a waste.

Agree with packersfan,  TEs pretty much blow this year outside of the top few.  Drafted Barnidge in the 8th round, thought he was good value, Witten would have been a better choice, but only the last few weeks.  Not one TE has come out of no where to be a top 10 TE.  Hoping Green fits the bill.
Funny you mention Witten. I have him in non-ppr and outside of game vs. Browns he has been pretty much 4-6 points. I'll be rolling the dice with Green over him in must win game in 5-5 Ville

Users who are viewing this thread