What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Late round players with high upside (1 Viewer)

PinkydaPimp

Footballguy
In every draft, late round picks tend to be for players with high upside. Especially in a keeper league where those late picks could turn into great keeper options for the following year.

Who are those late round picks this season that could translate into solid picks this year and beyond?

I'm not as sure about this year, but i just wrote a post about "beyond years" and keepers.

I'm targeting with late picks that can be kept:

1) Crabtree

2) Maclin

3) Harvin

4) Ben Tate

5) DeAndre Hopkins

6) cordarelle Patterson

Late guys I will target

Cordarrelle patterson

Pats wr thompkins

Fred davis

Mobile qbs

Ej manuel

Geno smith

Pryor

Robert Woods

Christine Michael

Mohammad Sanu

Dexter McCluster

Marcus Wheaton

Greg Salas

Edited to add Salas to the mix.

Last edited by a moderator:
Haven't seen this guy mentioned much... Dunbar.

I've been getting him in the 18th+ every time ... he looked decent in the preseason game and would be the bellcow if anything happens to the perenially injured Murray. Really surprised he's lasting that long.

Also,

Sanu

Kenbrell Thompkins (starting to rise, but I've gotten him many times in the 16th+)

Sudfeld

Bess (no upside but he's a great flex backup in deep starting PPR leagues... he went undrafted in a 2/3/1/2 league, which seems absurd when you start so many flex)

Stephen Hill.

If Geno is the starter there's a chance for him to blow up huge this year. A long-shot at this point but Geno could play Culpepper to Hill's Moss.

Stephen Hill.

If Geno is the starter there's a chance for him to blow up huge this year. A long-shot at this point but Geno could play Culpepper to Hill's Moss.
Randy Moss is a sure fire Hall of Famer and Culpepper was a brilliant deep ball thrower, so that may be a slightly optimistic scenario. A more likely possibility is Geno to Hill turns out like Sanchez to Santonio.

FF Ninja said:
Blount

He's a Ridley fumble/injury away from top 12 production
lolwut

Vereen/Bolden would see more carries. Blount was brought in for nothing more than a change of pace guy who pass blocks well. I wouldn't waste anything higher than a 20th on him.

meyerj31 said:

I've been getting him in the 18th+ every time ... he looked decent in the preseason game and would be the bellcow if anything happens to the perenially injured Murray. Really surprised he's lasting that long.

Also,

Sanu

Kenbrell Thompkins (starting to rise, but I've gotten him many times in the 16th+)

Sudfeld

Bess (no upside but he's a great flex backup in deep starting PPR leagues... he went undrafted in a 2/3/1/2 league, which seems absurd when you start so many flex)
I like the list, but I believe Joseph Randle is #2 on the depth chart in Dallas...of course, if/when Murray misses time it will likely be a timeshare to start.

cstu said:
Stephen Hill.

Geno is a short/mid passer in a WC offense. I think Kerley is the late round guy to own, especially in a ppr league.

cstu said:
Stephen Hill.

Geno is a short/mid passer in a WC offense. I think Kerley is the late round guy to own, especially in a ppr league.
Yes, Jeremy Kerley.

meyerj31 said:

Also,

Sanu

Sudfeld

I like the list, but I believe Joseph Randle is #2 on the depth chart in Dallas...of course, if/when Murray misses time it will likely be a timeshare to start.
Dunbar is listed as #2 for early down, 3rd down, and goal line. He also played sparingly as the first RB on Dallas' first series. I'm pretty certain Dunbar is the feature back to own should Murray go down. I maintain that Dunbar looks like a steal in the 18th+.

Cowboys rookie RB Joseph Randle rushed 13 times for 70 yards in Sunday night's Hall of Fame Game.
The fifth-round pick worked with Phillip Tanner on the twos and then got all of the third-team action. Lance Dunbar appears entrenched as the No. 2 back, and DeMarco Murray was held out. Randle broke off some productive runs when blocking freed him up, but he was facing end-of-roster Dolphins defenders, and guys who'll get cut. He has a ways to go to become fantasy relevant.

cstu said:
Stephen Hill.

Geno has no problem making deep throws. He can be inconsistent but he can make the throws. Moss was in a WC offense in NE so there potential for both Hill and Kerley.

FF Ninja said:
Blount

He might not even make the roster. Did everyone forget about Bolden?
He'll make the roster. He's even been playing special teams. The preseason means next to nothing, but BB gave him a chance to shine against scrubs and he did... 11-101-2. Again, I realize this is the preseason and it means very little as far as how his real playing time will go, but it does help his cause.

FF Ninja said:
Blount

lolwut

Vereen/Bolden would see more carries. Blount was brought in for nothing more than a change of pace guy who pass blocks well. I wouldn't waste anything higher than a 20th on him.
Eloquent.

Vereen and Blount will have very different roles. Blount > Bolden.

what is a late round? Rd 11 and beyond? if so, then

bradford, alex smith if charles is not out for long

broyles, randle, givens

housler,eifert, hmiller (stash)

I like a lot of the names mentioned in here

Fleener

Michael

Thompkins

Fred Davis

Randle

Others I like with an ADP after the 14th round are:

Malcom Floyd

Roberts

Powell

Portis 26 said:
cstu said:
Stephen Hill.

Randy Moss is a sure fire Hall of Famer and Culpepper was a brilliant deep ball thrower, so that may be a slightly optimistic scenario. A more likely possibility is Geno to Hill turns out like Sanchez to Santonio.
Culpepper was also similar to Christian Okoye as a runner. Really hard to bring down and faster than you would think for a guy 260lbs. Before his injury he ran for 470yds 7TD, 416yds 5TD, 609yds 10TD, 422yds 4TD,406yds 2TD. Part of what made him good at waiting for the deep ball is that he was so big he could often bounce off pass rushers and keep going, and plenty of speed to get the 1st down if he does decide to take off.

For this year, Mike Tolbert. He should get at least 6 TDs as-is, but with J.Stewart not even practicing, Tolbert may be in line for increased touches to start the season.

Jarius Wright!
I'm nabbing this guy where ever I can.
Christian Ponder takes the snap, fakes the handoff to Adrian Peterson (1st option) and looks downfield. Greg Jennings (2nd option) is covered like a blanket, Kyle Rudolph (3rd option) is also covered, Jerome Simpson (4th option) has a man all over him, electric rookie Cordarelle Patterson (5th option) can't get separation, but look....Jarius Wright is WIDE OPEN and Ponder tosses the ball 5 yards over his head! Oh my, that could've been a 6 yard gain.

I actually like Wright, but I just don't see how he can be anymore than a WR5 in a 16 team PPR.

Jarius Wright!
Christian Ponder takes the snap, fakes the handoff to Adrian Peterson (1st option) and looks downfield. Greg Jennings (2nd option) is covered like a blanket, Kyle Rudolph (3rd option) is also covered, Jerome Simpson (4th option) has a man all over him, electric rookie Cordarelle Patterson (5th option) can't get separation, but look....Jarius Wright is WIDE OPEN and Ponder tosses the ball 5 yards over his head! Oh my, that could've been a 6 yard gain.

I actually like Wright, but I just don't see how he can be anymore than a WR5 in a 16 team PPR.
Basically what I said a few posts earlier but more fun to read and then think, "Yeah, Wright is worthless"

Jarius Wright!

Basically what I said a few posts earlier but more fun to read and then think, "Yeah, Wright is worthless"
Yeah, i'm sure that is how plays are called in the NFL.

Adrian I'm going to get you the ball but if that doesn't work out Greg I'll be looking at you next. Now if that doesn't go as planned Kyle be ready. Jerome you are my least talanted but they have you listed as the second receiver on the depth chart and all the fantasy football coaches expect me to throw to you so if Kyle is not open you are next. Now Cordaelle you have no idea how to run routes yet but we drafted you high and we don't really care about winning games so of course you will be next in line. Oh yeah, lets not forget about you Jarius, you made a nice showing last year and you have been lighting up camp and the coaches love you because you run impeccable routes and your skills are as close to Percy's that we have on the team but those same fantasy football coaches think you will be the sixth target so that is what you will be.

I'll remember to come back here mid-season and give you guys my best told you so smirk.

Jarius Wright!

Adrian I'm going to get you the ball but if that doesn't work out Greg I'll be looking at you next. Now if that doesn't go as planned Kyle be ready. Jerome you are my least talanted but they have you listed as the second receiver on the depth chart and all the fantasy football coaches expect me to throw to you so if Kyle is not open you are next. Now Cordaelle you have no idea how to run routes yet but we drafted you high and we don't really care about winning games so of course you will be next in line. Oh yeah, lets not forget about you Jarius, you made a nice showing last year and you have been lighting up camp and the coaches love you because you run impeccable routes and your skills are as close to Percy's that we have on the team but those same fantasy football coaches think you will be the sixth target so that is what you will be.

I'll remember to come back here mid-season and give you guys my best told you so smirk.
I'm a big fan of identifying 2nd year (not third) WRs with breakout potential. Here's why I like Wright:

Good rookie production in limited time. 7 starts, 22 catches, 310 yards (14 ypc), 2 TDs. Pro-rated production: 50 catches, 708 yds, 4 TDs. That's the kind of stat line I look for in rookies that have a chance to break out in their second year. He won't fully replace Harvin, but he's likely have a similar role. Sure, there's no guarantee on this, but that's what makes him a sleeper. He won't be a WR1, but with some development and a true role in the offense from OTAs forward, he could easily surpass his game averages of last year to become a legit WR2. If Jennings can be a deep threat, there will be a lot of room over the middle for a slot type player to operate.

I'm a big fan of identifying 2nd year (not third) WRs with breakout potential. Here's why I like Wright:

Good rookie production in limited time. 7 starts, 22 catches, 310 yards (14 ypc), 2 TDs. Pro-rated production: 50 catches, 708 yds, 4 TDs. That's the kind of stat line I look for in rookies that have a chance to break out in their second year. He won't fully replace Harvin, but he's likely have a similar role. Sure, there's no guarantee on this, but that's what makes him a sleeper. He won't be a WR1, but with some development and a true role in the offense from OTAs forward, he could easily surpass his game averages of last year to become a legit WR2. If Jennings can be a deep threat, there will be a lot of room over the middle for a slot type player to operate.
So he had 7 starts last year. How many starts do you project in 2013?

I think you probably already know he meant he played in only 7 games last year.

I think you probably already know he meant he played in only 7 games last year.
No, I don't know much about Wright, but I get where the other guys are coming from. I'm assuming from johnadams that Wright started in place of Harvin last year after Harvin's injury. This year he'll be back on the bench behind Jennings and Simpson and maybe Patterson. I feel like there's nothing to see here. I mean, this is Minnesota. The WR2 probably doesn't matter, much less the WR3.

Vincent Brown.

I get him late in every draft... until now that is... with the SD WR injuries, he will surely start to creep up.

Jarius Wright!

That is actually how it works bud. Each play has its one route that it focuses on. And if that guy is not open, the QB checks down to the next guy and so on. It isn't like Madden where you just run and random route and look for an open guy. In real life, each play is designed for a specific purpose. One of the routes is the first look and the rest are mostly routes to complement that route and help its effectiveness.

Users who are viewing this thread