What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

LB Brad Kassell, UFA (1 Viewer)

Maelstrom

Footballguy
Jets | Team talking contract with Kassell

Thu, 16 Mar 2006 07:07:06 -0800

Randy Lange, of the Bergen Record, reports the New York Jets are talking contract with free agent LB Brad Kassell (Titans), according to his agent. His agent said two other teams are also talking with Kassell.

Jets | Kassell visits Tuesday

Wed, 15 Mar 2006 06:57:14 -0800

Randy Lange, of the Bergen Record, reports free agent LB Brad Kassell (Titans) visited with the New York Jets Tuesday, March 14.
LinkIf Kassell signs with the Jets, what position would he play? Even knowing the little that I do, I know there's little chance he takes the MLB starting job from Vilma. Will he be a starter, or backup the MLB?

At some point they will likely be strictly 3-4 defense, so they will need to get more linebackers. He could start somewhere in that scheme. Mark Brown is gone.

At some point they will likely be strictly 3-4 defense, so they will need to get more linebackers. He could start somewhere in that scheme. Mark Brown is gone.
That was my thought - ILB.

Jets | Team talking contract with Kassell

Thu, 16 Mar 2006 07:07:06 -0800

Randy Lange, of the Bergen Record, reports the New York Jets are talking contract with free agent LB Brad Kassell (Titans), according to his agent. His agent said two other teams are also talking with Kassell.

Jets | Kassell visits Tuesday

Wed, 15 Mar 2006 06:57:14 -0800

Randy Lange, of the Bergen Record, reports free agent LB Brad Kassell (Titans) visited with the New York Jets Tuesday, March 14.
LinkIf Kassell signs with the Jets, what position would he play? Even knowing the little that I do, I know there's little chance he takes the MLB starting job from Vilma. Will he be a starter, or backup the MLB?
An update:(Rotoworld) Jets signed LB Brad Kassell.

Impact: A natural fit to play inside in a 3-4 defense, Kassell figures to be a reserve behind Jonathan Vilma and Eric Barton in New York. We wonder if the team has considered moving Vilma to the outside, which would be devastating to his fantasy value. We doubt it.

NYJ really loading up on FA LBs. Chatham always follows the 3-4 coaches around the league. With a sufficient number of bodies, Mangini will not hesitate to go to the 3-4!

NYJ really loading up on FA LBs. Chatham always follows the 3-4 coaches around the league. With a sufficient number of bodies, Mangini will not hesitate to go to the 3-4!
No question the Jets are moving toward the Belichick hybrid 3-4. Ellis and von Oelhoffen should be able to man the end positions well enough. And Bryan Thomas fits okay at the rush LB slot. My major concern is with Dewayne Robertson in the middle and whether he'll hold up over the entire season as a two gap nose tackle. He's more of a one gap penetrator than a space eater. Much of Jonathan Vilma's value depends on it. Ray Lewis struggled when Kelly Gregg was the NT in the short lived Raven 3-4. Vilma could do the same. They do have 330lb Sione Pouha on the roster, but I don't know the first thing about that guy. Hopefully the Jets draft a fat man to fill that bill.

Now that he's signed do you see any increase in his value?
NY rags suggesting Kassell starts inside and Eric Barton slides outside (probably to compete with Victor Hobson). Kassell probably has similar value to a Randall Godfrey or Monty Beisel as an 3-4 ILB - not particularly much - especially next to Vilma the Tackler.
link

Kassell (6 feet 3, 242 pounds), the seventh unrestricted free agent to sign with the Jets, is expected to move into the middle with Jonathan Vilma in the new 3-4 base that coach Eric Mangini and defensive coordinator Bob Sutton are installing, with Eric Barton moving outside.

There is also a decent thread in the regular forum on Kassel, Vilma, and the jets new D scheme possibilities... just an FYI.

Users who are viewing this thread