What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Let the Aaron Brooks NFL FA Tour Begin (1 Viewer)

Beaumont

Footballguy
Saints | Brooks released

Wed, 15 Mar 2006 16:15:00 -0800

The NFL Network reports the New Orleans Saints have released QB Aaron Brooks, making him an unrestricted free agent.

I remember reading in Bill Parcells book, forgot the title. He was high on Brooks when he was drafted. I wonder if Dallas might take a shot.

Noooooooooooooo!!!! :tfp:
Before you say that, it's not an understatement to say that Brooks is a top 5 talent at the QB position. Great Arm, Very good accuracy, and very good mobility. He's not a very good system QB but he's a playmaker. He will fit in perfectly with the Raiders and if Moss is in shape and healthy, he can get him the ball.

He's a better QB than Culpepper IMO. Basically, he's a better version than what Oakland hoped it was getting in Collins. He can be impressive.

On the other hand, he's a terrible fit for a team that requires him to make quick reads. Teams will blitz him a lot because IMO, he's the worst pre-snap read QB in the league IMO.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, if it happens, don't think all is lost...especially if you can get him at a good price.

Before you say that, it's not an understatement to say that Brooks is a top 5 talent at the QB position. Great Arm, Very good accuracy, and very good mobility. He's not a very good system QB but he's a playmaker. He will fit in perfectly with the Raiders and if Moss is in shape and healthy, he can get him the ball.

He's a better QB than Culpepper IMO. Basically, he's a better version than what Oakland hoped it was getting in Collins. He can be impressive.

On the other hand, he's a terrible fit for a team that requires him to make quick reads. Teams will blitz him a lot because IMO, he's the worst pre-snap read QB in the league IMO.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, if it happens, don't think all is lost...especially if you can get him at a good price.
He is if you discount their TD to interception ratio for their whole careers. You should also discount their completion percentage for both of them from college and the NFL. I would also remove their win/loss records as starters at any level you choose. Now with those meaningless stats removed, Brooks maybe a better QB!Nah, probably not.

Wow I just realized the perfect place for Brooks to go to... ARIZONA!There is little doubt that AZ needs a good backup to warner - not many expect him to play a full season without getting hurt (or sucking)

Brooks would probably not get top money but would be in a situation to perform above his means (and then get top money) is there. Fitz,Boldin,James Wow!

The only question is what kind of money will be out there for Brooks.

:fishing:

just a bad NFL QB. I wouldn't wish this guy on my most hated rival.
I disagree. He'd be a great guy to have as a #2. I know, he's dumb as a rock, but, he's athletic. I agree though, he's not a #1 NFL QB.

He is if you discount their TD to interception ratio for their whole careers. You should also discount their completion percentage for both of them from college and the NFL. I would also remove their win/loss records as starters at any level you choose. Now with those meaningless stats removed, Brooks maybe a better QB!Nah, probably not.
You don't think that one could make a reasonable argument that much of Daunte's success was due to a guy named Randy Moss? Last year seemed to lend a little credence to that theory.As for the rest of it, obviously my previous post did not tell the entire story. I agree that Brooks is dumb and what is even more important IMO, he doesn't play with a passion. He's not a leader which can be deadly. I've seen him play just about every home game in person and to be honest, I was happy to see him go.

Having said that, in a new environment with a stud WR, he could do some damage.

His problems are not physical. He's definitely an NFL starting QB physically. It's the other things. All things considered, Oakland is a good fit. Green Bay would make sense too, but I think he'd do better in Oakland.

To me, the biggest downfall of a fantasy footall player is to be blinded by the most recent events. In other words, he sucked last year therefore he'll suck this year. Excluding last year, he's threw 3500+ yards in every full year of his career. He thew for 21, 24, 27, and 26 TDs in his 4 full years.

From a fantasy perspective, if he's a starter he could easily outperform his ADP.

just a bad NFL QB. I wouldn't wish this guy on my most hated rival.
I hope he gets a gig somewhere. He is great for a laugh. The backwards pass to nobody was an instant classic (and I had him on my FF team for five years!).

You don't think that one could make a reasonable argument that much of Daunte's success was due to a guy named Randy Moss? Last year seemed to lend a little credence to that theory.As for the rest of it, obviously my previous post did not tell the entire story. I agree that Brooks is dumb and what is even more important IMO, he doesn't play with a passion. He's not a leader which can be deadly. I've seen him play just about every home game in person and to be honest, I was happy to see him go.

Having said that, in a new environment with a stud WR, he could do some damage.

His problems are not physical. He's definitely an NFL starting QB physically. It's the other things. All things considered, Oakland is a good fit. Green Bay would make sense too, but I think he'd do better in Oakland.

To me, the biggest downfall of a fantasy footall player is to be blinded by the most recent events. In other words, he sucked last year therefore he'll suck this year. Excluding last year, he's threw 3500+ yards in every full year of his career. He thew for 21, 24, 27, and 26 TDs in his 4 full years.

From a fantasy perspective, if he's a starter he could easily outperform his ADP.
Daunte struggled last year, we all saw it, but to state that Brooks is the better NFL QB because of a few bad games just doesn't make sense to me. Is Brooks better than Farve right now? Farve had the worst season on any QB last year, but I don't think anyone would honestly start 2006 with Brooks in front of him, do you?Daunte put up great numbers while Moss was injured in the previous 2 seasons, so Moss was not Dauntes only option. In saying all this, I would love to see brooks sign with either MN or AZ. (Vikes homer living in AZ). A veteran QB who no doubt would be called upon due to injuries suffered by Warner or Johnson.

Brooks will be playing somewhere this year, i just couldn't make the reach that he is a better NFL QBthan Daunte because of a few bad games.

PS. Todd Bauman QB New Orleans, was the starting QB for my wifes High School team.

Lots of folks wanting to throw Brooks away. Dude has posted some very solid numbers. I'm willing to give him a pass on last season.

Code:
+---------------------------------------+-----------------+                 |              Passing                  |     Rushing     |+----------+-----+---------------------------------------+-----------------+| Year  TM |   G |  Comp   Att   PCT    YD   Y/A  TD INT |  Att  Yards  TD |+----------+-----+---------------------------------------+-----------------+| 2000 nor |   8 |   113   194  58.2  1514   7.8   9   6 |    41   170   2 || 2001 nor |  16 |   312   558  55.9  3832   6.9  26  22 |    80   358   1 || 2002 nor |  16 |   283   528  53.6  3572   6.8  27  15 |    61   256   2 || 2003 nor |  16 |   306   518  59.1  3546   6.8  24   8 |    54   175   2 || 2004 nor |  16 |   309   542  57.0  3810   7.0  21  16 |    58   173   4 || 2005 nor |  13 |   240   431  55.7  2882   6.7  13  17 |    45   281   2 |+----------+-----+---------------------------------------+-----------------+|  TOTAL   |  85 |  1563  2771  56.4 19156   6.9 120  84 |   339  1413  13 |+----------+-----+---------------------------------------+-----------------+
Is he the best? Far from it. Is he the worst? Even farther from it.

Why not Miami? Culpepper isn't gonna be ready to start the season for them.

ETA - despite what people like to say about him, he's a decent qb. I know it's fun to knock the guy but he isn't nearly as bad as some make it seem. Both for fantasy purposes and real life.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lots of folks wanting to throw Brooks away. Dude has posted some very solid numbers. I'm willing to give him a pass on last season.

+---------------------------------------+-----------------+                 |              Passing                  |     Rushing     |+----------+-----+---------------------------------------+-----------------+| Year  TM |   G |  Comp   Att   PCT    YD   Y/A  TD INT |  Att  Yards  TD |+----------+-----+---------------------------------------+-----------------+| 2000 nor |   8 |   113   194  58.2  1514   7.8   9   6 |    41   170   2 || 2001 nor |  16 |   312   558  55.9  3832   6.9  26  22 |    80   358   1 || 2002 nor |  16 |   283   528  53.6  3572   6.8  27  15 |    61   256   2 || 2003 nor |  16 |   306   518  59.1  3546   6.8  24   8 |    54   175   2 || 2004 nor |  16 |   309   542  57.0  3810   7.0  21  16 |    58   173   4 || 2005 nor |  13 |   240   431  55.7  2882   6.7  13  17 |    45   281   2 |+----------+-----+---------------------------------------+-----------------+|  TOTAL   |  85 |  1563  2771  56.4 19156   6.9 120  84 |   339  1413  13 |+----------+-----+---------------------------------------+-----------------+Is he the best? Far from it. Is he the worst? Even farther from it.
Most passing TD 2001-2005:Peyton Manning 159

Brett Favre 141

Tom Brady 123

Aaron Brooks 111

Trent Green 111

Donovan McNabb 105

Daunte Culpepper 102

Jake Plummer 97

Matt Hasselbeck 94

Kerry Collins 92

Most Passing Yards 2001-2005:

Peyton Manning 20902

Trent Green 20117

Brett Favre 18909

Kerry Collins 18201

Tom Brady 18029

Aaron Brooks 17642

Jake Plummer 16262

Daunte Culpepper 16231

Matt Hasselbeck 15779

Donovan McNabb 15120

There is no doubt that Brooks has a good arm and has talent. My problem with him is all mental and his ability to be a leader. He makes a lot of awful mistakes and bad throws in crucial situations. A lot!! Plus, he just doesn't seem to have the stuff of a good leader, as all Saints fans are well aware of.

To be honest, Brees was the guy I was hoping would land in Oakland. But with him now, I am praying the Raiders move up to #2 and take Leinhart.

Not that it matters, but I was surprized to see how durable he was. I did not know he started all 16 games in a row for 4 years.

There simply are not 32 better QB's than Brooks. Saying that is just silly. There are lots of starting QB's- Culpepper, Bledoe, Collins, Farve, Warner spring to mind immediately- that make as many or more costly mistakes- particularly when you consiider fumbles.

There simply are not 32 better QB's than Brooks. Saying that is just silly. There are lots of starting QB's- Culpepper, Bledoe, Collins, Farve, Warner spring to mind immediately- that make as many or more costly mistakes- particularly when you consiider fumbles.
I'm not saying he's the worst QB in the league. As a Raider fan who has suffered mightily these last few years, I just want a solid QB who can get the ball downfield and minimize mistakes. That's why I like Brees so much.

There is no doubt that Brooks has a good arm and has talent. My problem with him is all mental and his ability to be a leader. He makes a lot of awful mistakes and bad throws in crucial situations. A lot!! Plus, he just doesn't seem to have the stuff of a good leader, as all Saints fans are well aware of.

To be honest, Brees was the guy I was hoping would land in Oakland. But with him now, I am praying the Raiders move up to #2 and take Leinhart.
Does the Raider's history indicate that they would draft a QB, or sign one in FA?

I hear ya. Of course, moving up for a QB is not something Oakland is known for doing. That doesn't mean I can't hope for them to do it now. Plus, there aren't many solid FA QB's left to acquire.

Not a unlike Drew Bledsoe, Kerry Collins, Kyle Boller, J.P. Loseman, Byron Left wich, Daunte Culppeper, David Carr, Joey Harrington, Alex Smith, Eli Manning, Chad Pennington etc.

Classic case of good fantasy guy, bad NFL player. How many touchdowns and yards you throw for don't mean as much to NFL GM's as they do fantasy players.

I fairly certain he'll get a starting job somewhere this season... he's a lot better than some incumbents (Harrington, Collins, Pennington, Boller to name a few) and someone will give him an incentive-laden contract they can back out of easily.

My gut says Oakland.

:goodposting: I'm a Brooks Believer, too!

2:1 lifetime td:int ratio..anyone,including Bart Starr, would have looked silly playing for the biggest idiot in the NFL, Jim Haslett..gotta be the worst head coach to come down the pike since Ray Handley...

you get A. Brooks teamed up with a good coach, and you've got a potentially great QB, at a bargain basement price...

:goodposting:

I'm a Brooks Believer, too!

2:1 lifetime td:int ratio..anyone,including Bart Starr, would have looked silly playing for the biggest idiot in the NFL, Jim Haslett..gotta be the worst head coach to come down the pike since Ray Handley...

you get A. Brooks teamed up with a good coach, and you've got a potentially great QB, at a bargain basement price...
This is my thinking as well. A guy like Parcells would do Brooks a world of good.

2:1 lifetime td:int ratio..
Interesting math. Care to show your work on that one?
Not quite 2:1. He has 120 career passing TDs and 84 career ints. That's about 1.5:1. It's pretty solid, though.
I took all QBs from 1960-2005 who have thrown 100+ TDs and calculated their TD:INT ratio. Brooks' 1.43 ranks 19th. Pretty impressive, huh? Not so fast. Almost everyone above him is a contemporary. The only people above him that didn't have one year overlap with Brooks are Steve Young, Joe Montana, Dan Marino, and Neil Lomax. Brooks' TD:INT ratio is on par with some greats from previous eras like Roger Staubach and Sonny Jurgensen.Brooks' TD:INT ratio is nice, but that's about it. It's nothing great. It's what's expected out of an NFL starting QB in the 2000s. It's also a far cry from 2:1. Only three QBs (with 100+ TDs) can claim having a 2:1 (I'm including Montana's 1.96).

Here are the top 25:

Code:
NAME                PTD  INT  TD/INTSteve Young         232  107   2.17Donovan McNabb      134   66   2.03Joe Montana         273  139   1.96Peyton Manning      244  130   1.88Tom Brady           123   66   1.86Jeff Garcia         126   71   1.77Neil O'Donnell      120   68   1.76Rich Gannon         180  104   1.73Mark Brunell        174  102   1.71Dan Marino          420  252   1.67Trent Green         150   92   1.63Daunte Culpepper    135   86   1.57Brett Favre         396  255   1.55Randall Cunningham  207  134   1.54Steve McNair        156  102   1.53Kurt Warner         119   78   1.53Brad Johnson        155  102   1.52Neil Lomax          136   90   1.51Aaron Brooks        120   84   1.43Bernie Kosar        124   87   1.43Y.A. Tittle         100   71   1.41Frank Ryan          146  104   1.40Roger Staubach      153  109   1.40Sonny Jurgensen     249  180   1.38Jeff George         154  113   1.36

I remember reading in Bill Parcells book, forgot the title. He was high on Brooks when he was drafted. I wonder if Dallas might take a shot.
Would he want to go to Dallas though? The Statue is all ready in place in Dallas for atleast two more seasons....

Not quite 2:1. He has 120 career passing TDs and 84 career ints. That's about 1.5:1. It's pretty solid, though.
I took all QBs from 1960-2005 who have thrown 100+ TDs and calculated their TD:INT ratio. Brooks' 1.43 ranks 19th. Pretty impressive, huh? Not so fast. Almost everyone above him is a contemporary. The only people above him that didn't have one year overlap with Brooks are Steve Young, Joe Montana, Dan Marino, and Neil Lomax. Brooks' TD:INT ratio is on par with some greats from previous eras like Roger Staubach and Sonny Jurgensen.Brooks' TD:INT ratio is nice, but that's about it. It's nothing great. It's what's expected out of an NFL starting QB in the 2000s. It's also a far cry from 2:1. Only three QBs (with 100+ TDs) can claim having a 2:1 (I'm including Montana's 1.96).

Here are the top 25:

Code:
NAME                PTD  INT  TD/INTSteve Young         232  107   2.17Donovan McNabb      134   66   2.03Joe Montana         273  139   1.96Peyton Manning      244  130   1.88Tom Brady           123   66   1.86Jeff Garcia         126   71   1.77Neil O'Donnell      120   68   1.76Rich Gannon         180  104   1.73Mark Brunell        174  102   1.71Dan Marino          420  252   1.67Trent Green         150   92   1.63Daunte Culpepper    135   86   1.57Brett Favre         396  255   1.55Randall Cunningham  207  134   1.54Steve McNair        156  102   1.53Kurt Warner         119   78   1.53Brad Johnson        155  102   1.52Neil Lomax          136   90   1.51Aaron Brooks        120   84   1.43Bernie Kosar        124   87   1.43Y.A. Tittle         100   71   1.41Frank Ryan          146  104   1.40Roger Staubach      153  109   1.40Sonny Jurgensen     249  180   1.38Jeff George         154  113   1.36
It seems like in your efforts to bash him or down grade him, you are actually supporting him. Since 1960, only 16 QB's have had a better TD:INT ratio. Check. Take out four non-contemporaries-we are at 15. Take out O'Donnell, Gannon and Randall Cunningham because the have retired. Now you are down to 12. There are 32 teams and he is street free agent. He is going to get some looks.

Here are the top 25:

NAME                PTD  INT  TD/INTSteve Young         232  107   2.17Donovan McNabb      134   66   2.03Joe Montana         273  139   1.96Peyton Manning      244  130   1.88Tom Brady           123   66   1.86Jeff Garcia         126   71   1.77Neil O'Donnell      120   68   1.76Rich Gannon         180  104   1.73Mark Brunell        174  102   1.71Dan Marino          420  252   1.67Trent Green         150   92   1.63Daunte Culpepper    135   86   1.57Brett Favre         396  255   1.55Randall Cunningham  207  134   1.54Steve McNair        156  102   1.53Kurt Warner         119   78   1.53Brad Johnson        155  102   1.52Neil Lomax          136   90   1.51Aaron Brooks        120   84   1.43Bernie Kosar        124   87   1.43Y.A. Tittle         100   71   1.41Frank Ryan          146  104   1.40Roger Staubach      153  109   1.40Sonny Jurgensen     249  180   1.38Jeff George         154  113   1.36
It seems like in your efforts to bash him or down grade him, you are actually supporting him. Since 1960, only 16 QB's have had a better TD:INT ratio. Check. Take out four non-contemporaries-we are at 15. Take out O'Donnell, Gannon and Randall Cunningham because the have retired. Now you are down to 12. There are 32 teams and he is street free agent. He is going to get some looks.
:goodposting: You beat me to it...

I'm not trying to bash him. Someone said he has a 2:1 ratio. He doesn't. Someone else then said that it's not quite 2:1 but it's still pretty solid. To me, the data shows it's probably about average. (Whether "pretty solid" = "average" is neither here nor there.)You can take out O'Donnell, Gannon, and Cunningham because they retired if you want and get down to 12th. But, remember, I cut off TDs at 100+. Things could change drasticly if you go to 75.

So, I'll redefine the data set to be closer to what you are talking about. If you take all data from 2000-2005 (Brooks' career) and QBs with 40+ TDs, Brooks is 16th out of 35 QBs.

His TD:INT ratio is pretty much average for a starting QB in today's NFL. I'm not sure how that is bashing him.

Things could change drasticly if you go to 75.
Not drastic, but going down to 75 TDs adds Hasselbeck (1.68), Brees (1.51), and Delhomme (1.44) ahead of Brooks in the data back to 1960.

Things could change drasticly if you go to 75.
Not drastic, but going down to 75 TDs adds Hasselbeck (1.68), Brees (1.51), and Delhomme (1.44) ahead of Brooks in the data back to 1960.
Going down to 50 adds Pennington (1.83), Palmer (1.67), and Steve Bono (1.48) ahead of Brooks. Marc Bulger comes in a little behind Brooks at 1.39.

Do you really want a QB who is laughing and joking around after turnovers?

Brooks has talent but no heart.

Do you really want a QB who is laughing and joking around after turnovers?

Brooks has talent but no heart.
I think you make a great point. However, when the alternative is Collins, or McCown, etc...well you get the point.Plus, it's a new beginning for Brooks. He just got cut. If he gets his head on straight then everything changes.

It is possible to get your head on straight as you mature. It's not possible to learn how to run and throw the way Brooks does. Either you have it or you don't.

Since this thread is full of Brooks bashing, I will toss in a couple of very positive memories about Brooks' play these past years.

1) Brooks was probably the most important player involved in the single-most exciting play that I have ever witnessed live: the last-play-of-the-game quadruple lateral TD against (Carolina?). Brooks made an excellent initial pass, ran down the field, and when the ball ended up getting lateraled back to his side of the field, made the key block that led to the TD.

2) During our FF playoffs three years ago, Manning had hung 5TDs against me that Sunday afternoon. I basically assumed I was eliminated because I only had Brooks to go that Sunday night against the Giants. Of course, Brooks went on to throw 5 TDs (4 to Horn, including the "cell phone TD") and I went on to win my FF SB.

Aaron Brooks deserves a second chance with another team!

Users who are viewing this thread