What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Let's list players who are 1 strike away (1 Viewer)

Frank Black

Footballguy
Please humour me. Can we start a list of players who are 1 strike away from being banned for an entire season? This list would include players who have been previously banned for 4 games or an entire season.

To start off:

RB Onterrio Smith

RB Ricky Williams

WR Jimmy Smith

Maybe Jamal Lewis. I say maybe because there are timetables and conditions that allow players to reduce the severity of their offenses if they have undergone incident free testing over a certain amount of time.

Maybe Jamal Lewis. I say maybe because there are timetables and conditions that allow players to reduce the severity of their offenses if they have undergone incident free testing over a certain amount of time.
90% sure he would be gone.

I believe Krob is close also. Has he ever had a 4 gm suspension? Maybe in 2003?
Correct. KRob served a 4 gamer though I'm not sure about the year.

Last edited:
Maybe Jamal Lewis.  I say maybe because there are timetables and conditions that allow players to reduce the severity of their offenses if they have undergone incident free testing over a certain amount of time.
What makes me wonder about Lewis is that his suspension last year may not have been classified as a failed drug test. A drug related legal violation falls under the guidelines for suspension, but I am not sure if the clock starts over or not from that point.

What makes me wonder about Lewis is that his suspension last year may not have been classified as a failed drug test. A drug related legal violation falls under the guidelines for suspension, but I am not sure if the clock starts over or not from that point.
When was he ever suspended. He might have gone to jail but he wasn't suspended. The only time I see he ever missed was in 2001 tore ACL and in 2004 he missed 4 games but they were seperated 2 in weeks 7 and 8 and 2 in weeks 12 and 13. He's never been suspended before. His first suspension would have to be 4 games before a year, wouldn't it.

Maybe Jamal Lewis.  I say maybe because there are timetables and conditions that allow players to reduce the severity of their offenses if they have undergone incident free testing over a certain amount of time.
When was he ever suspended. He might have gone to jail but he wasn't suspended. The only time I see he ever missed was in 2001 tore ACL and in 2004 he missed 4 games but they were seperated 2 in weeks 7 and 8 and 2 in weeks 12 and 13. He's never been suspended before. His first suspension would have to be 4 games before a year, wouldn't it.
The year his missed the entire season with an ACL injury, he technically was suspended for the first four games for a substance abuse violation.

Please humour me. Can we start a list of players who are 1 strike away from being banned for an entire season? To start off:RB Ricky Williams
More like Strike Three called, appealing to the first base ump.

Lewis has been suspended twice. Once was in 2001 after he got hurt, but he served his 4-game suspension while on injured reserve when he could not have played even if he wanted to. (Not sure why they allowed that but that part doesn't matter.)He also had a 2-game suspension last year for his involvement years earlier in a drug operation around the time he entered the league (2000). A drug-related legal violation is grounds for league discipline under the NFL’s substance abuse policy.

The NFL has a step down policy that once a player completes 2 years incident free and goes to all program activities he would go back to the 1 strike level (as opposed to remaining at the two strike level). So players that stayed clean for two years would get a 4 game suspension again instead of a yearlong suspension.

I don't know when the last time Lewis failed a drug test was, but the program is supposed to start the two year countdown from that date. However, with his suspnsion last year which technical counts against the substance abuse rules, I am not sure if the two year waiting period started over once he plea bargained or if they would go back to his last failed drug test.

What'd Jimmy Smith and Peppers do?
IIRC Jimmy Smith was suspended for fou games two years ago.

Peppers was just a fishing trip
Or it could have something to do with Peppers being suspended four games his rookie season...It was a supplement violation though, not a drug violation. I dont think he be knocked out for a year with his next positive test.

Or it could have something to do with Peppers being suspended four games his rookie season...It was a supplement violation though, not a drug violation. I dont think he be knocked out for a year with his next positive test.
Odd I really dont remember that one, my bad

Last edited by a moderator:

The NFL substance abuse policy does not differentiate between alcohol, marijuana, steroids or supplements (not cleared by the NFL).Peppers is on the list. The reason we don't hear about Peppers is that it was a supplement and clearly not something habitual like a traditional drug. More than likely Peppers is just being more careful about his supplement intake.

Edited - I don't know how many strikes Peppers has, but I know he was suspended 4 games his rookie year for being in violation of the NFL policy on substance abuse; which was a supplement. He claimed it was a supplement and unconfirmed sources verified Peppers story that it was a fringe supplement not a steroid.

Here we go, my rapid posting again...

Something else worth noting in this thread, the NFL has a list of substances players can use and it is the player's responsibility to ensure they are only taking products on this list. The NFL also has a list of substances they have looked at and clearly deemed not on the OK list such as THG, HGH and steroids. This opens the door for retroactive testing; meaning the league can store drug\substance tests players take and examine the test at a later date (See Bill Romanoski). Bill used THG before anybody knew what THG was, however when he was using THG it was not known to the NFL and consequently on neither of their lists (can use list and cannot use list). However, after Romo had retired, THG had been identified and a test was developed for it. One of Romo's drug test (while with the Broncos) tested positive for THG. Not a big story in the NFL as Romo had not accumulated any heralded statistical marks.

Most other sports leagues simply have a list of substances players cannot use and are continually trying to keep up with the pace being set by those developing new products.

Lewis has been suspended twice. Once was in 2001 after he got hurt, but he served his 4-game suspension while on injured reserve when he could not have played even if he wanted to. (Not sure why they allowed that but that part doesn't matter.)He also had a 2-game suspension last year for his involvement years earlier in a drug operation around the time he entered the league (2000). A drug-related legal violation is grounds for league discipline under the NFL’s substance abuse policy.

The NFL has a step down policy that once a player completes 2 years incident free and goes to all program activities he would go back to the 1 strike level (as opposed to remaining at the two strike level). So players that stayed clean for two years would get a 4 game suspension again instead of a yearlong suspension.

I don't know when the last time Lewis failed a drug test was, but the program is supposed to start the two year countdown from that date. However, with his suspnsion last year which technical counts against the substance abuse rules, I am not sure if the two year waiting period started over once he plea bargained or if they would go back to his last failed drug test.
Why am I not seeing the 2 game suspension last year?

It was actually in 2004.
Was it in week 7,8 or in week 12,13. I've never heard of a 2 game suspension before, I don't know why I can't remember this but I absoltely don't.
LINKTimeline for Lewis' career.
Thanks for the link David but I'm not seeing anything in there about a 2 game suspension. I looked over it multiple x's and not seeing it. :confused:

It was actually in 2004.
Was it in week 7,8 or in week 12,13. I've never heard of a 2 game suspension before, I don't know why I can't remember this but I absoltely don't.
LINKTimeline for Lewis' career.
Thanks for the link David but I'm not seeing anything in there about a 2 game suspension. I looked over it multiple x's and not seeing it. :confused:
There was an associated suspension that apparently was not noted as such . . .Jamal Lewis gets 2 game suspension

Ravens' RB had pled guilty to charges in federal drug case; will also serve prision time

The Associated Press

Updated: 6:47 p.m. ET Oct. 8, 2004

ATLANTA - Baltimore Ravens running back Jamal Lewis was suspended for two games without pay by the NFL for violating the league’s substance abuse policy, one day after pleading guilty to trying to set up a drug deal four years ago.

Lewis will not appeal the punishment and will miss those games in late October, the Ravens said. He plans to play Sunday night at Washington.

Lewis also was fined two weeks’ salary, $380,500, in the decision issued Friday by NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue. That means Lewis will lose a total of $761,000.

“You have needlessly sullied your own reputation and reinforced unfair and negative public perceptions of NFL players generally,” Tagliabue said.

“The long-term damage to your own reputation may well be even greater.”

A drug-related legal violation is grounds for league discipline under the NFL’s substance abuse policy.

A player has five days to appeal a suspension. Though Lewis does not plan to appeal, Ravens spokesman Kevin Byrne said, he will use the five days to consult with his lawyers, allowing him to play against the Redskins. Baltimore is off the following weekend.

Lewis will miss the Ravens’ home game Oct. 24 against Buffalo and their game Oct. 31 in Philadelphia.

Under an agreement with prosecutors, he will not miss any playing time while serving his sentence of four months in federal prison and two months in a halfway house. The sentence will start after the regular season ends in January and conclude before the 2005 season begins in September.

Lewis missed practice Thursday while in Atlanta and rejoined the team Friday. Before practice, he spoke excitedly about putting his problems behind him.

“It’s a load off my shoulders. Now I can continue on,” he said. “I don’t have to worry about that anymore, and I can just get on with my life and play football.”

Lewis pleaded guilty to using a cell phone to try to set up a drug transaction in the summer of 2000 in Atlanta. He knew an NFL suspension would follow his plea, and he was prepared to accept his punishment.

“It’s over. Something happened, I have to suffer the consequences, and that’s what I’m doing,” he said. “The big picture is done with. I’m happy that everything is over with. So, I move on and do what I have to do on the football field.”

Lewis did plenty on the field last season, running for 2,066 yards — the second-highest single-season total in NFL history. But his off-field problems will put an indelible stamp on his effort to come up with a suitable encore.

Lewis will be pressed to defend his NFL rushing title, and his absence could end up costing the Ravens a chance to repeat as AFC North champions and return to the playoffs. But Lewis risked receiving a minimum 10-year prison sentence if he went ahead with his court case in Atlanta and was convicted.

“As long as my career is all right, I’m all right,” he said. “I’ll be here next season and this season, so it’s over with.”

Before his plea, Lewis faced the possibility of missing time during a trial that was slated to begin Nov. 1.

“The fact that we don’t have to deal with this any further is a good thing,” coach Brian Billick said.

“Even though he has dealt with this very well, I can’t help but imagine that it’s a bit of a relief. It allows him to free his mind up totally now because there is definition. That’s got to be a positive thing, rather than the what ifs, when will it happen, what could happen; that definition should allow him to be relaxed and do his job.”

Backups Chester Taylor and Musa Smith will replace Lewis in the Baltimore backfield during his suspension.

“We can’t lose any productivity,” Smith said. “Me and Chester are ready, and we’re going to hold it down while he’s out.”

Lewis was accused of trying to help broker a cocaine deal for co-defendant Angelo Jackson, a childhood friend, during conversations with a government informant. Charges against Jackson are pending.

Lewis agreed to testify at Jackson’s trial, still set for Nov. 1. By that time, Lewis will have completed his NFL suspension. He expects to work out during his absence and reclaim his starting spot.

“I have a good work ethic. I think I’ve proven that,” he said. “From a physical standpoint, I’ll miss something. But as far as anything else, I don’t think I’ll miss a beat.”

Lewis said he hopes others will benefit from his mistake, which occurred before he played his first NFL game.

“Watch your friends and who you have around you,” he said. “That’s the big picture of this whole thing.”

URL: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6152774/

It was actually in 2004.
LINK

Timeline for Lewis' career.
There was an associated suspension that apparently was not noted as such . . .

Jamal Lewis gets 2 game suspension

Ravens' RB had pled guilty to charges in federal drug case; will also serve prision time

The Associated Press

Updated: 6:47 p.m. ET Oct. 8, 2004

ATLANTA - Baltimore Ravens running back Jamal Lewis was suspended for two games without pay by the NFL for violating the league’s substance abuse policy, one day after pleading guilty to trying to set up a drug deal four years ago.

Lewis will not appeal the punishment and will miss those games in late October, the Ravens said. He plans to play Sunday night at Washington.

Lewis also was fined two weeks’ salary, $380,500, in the decision issued Friday by NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue. That means Lewis will lose a total of $761,000.

“You have needlessly sullied your own reputation and reinforced unfair and negative public perceptions of NFL players generally,” Tagliabue said.

“The long-term damage to your own reputation may well be even greater.”

A drug-related legal violation is grounds for league discipline under the NFL’s substance abuse policy.

A player has five days to appeal a suspension. Though Lewis does not plan to appeal, Ravens spokesman Kevin Byrne said, he will use the five days to consult with his lawyers, allowing him to play against the Redskins. Baltimore is off the following weekend.

Lewis will miss the Ravens’ home game Oct. 24 against Buffalo and their game Oct. 31 in Philadelphia.

Under an agreement with prosecutors, he will not miss any playing time while serving his sentence of four months in federal prison and two months in a halfway house. The sentence will start after the regular season ends in January and conclude before the 2005 season begins in September.

Lewis missed practice Thursday while in Atlanta and rejoined the team Friday. Before practice, he spoke excitedly about putting his problems behind him.

“It’s a load off my shoulders. Now I can continue on,” he said. “I don’t have to worry about that anymore, and I can just get on with my life and play football.”

Lewis pleaded guilty to using a cell phone to try to set up a drug transaction in the summer of 2000 in Atlanta. He knew an NFL suspension would follow his plea, and he was prepared to accept his punishment.

“It’s over. Something happened, I have to suffer the consequences, and that’s what I’m doing,” he said. “The big picture is done with. I’m happy that everything is over with. So, I move on and do what I have to do on the football field.”

Lewis did plenty on the field last season, running for 2,066 yards — the second-highest single-season total in NFL history. But his off-field problems will put an indelible stamp on his effort to come up with a suitable encore.

Lewis will be pressed to defend his NFL rushing title, and his absence could end up costing the Ravens a chance to repeat as AFC North champions and return to the playoffs. But Lewis risked receiving a minimum 10-year prison sentence if he went ahead with his court case in Atlanta and was convicted.

“As long as my career is all right, I’m all right,” he said. “I’ll be here next season and this season, so it’s over with.”

Before his plea, Lewis faced the possibility of missing time during a trial that was slated to begin Nov. 1.

“The fact that we don’t have to deal with this any further is a good thing,” coach Brian Billick said.

“Even though he has dealt with this very well, I can’t help but imagine that it’s a bit of a relief. It allows him to free his mind up totally now because there is definition. That’s got to be a positive thing, rather than the what ifs, when will it happen, what could happen; that definition should allow him to be relaxed and do his job.”

Backups Chester Taylor and Musa Smith will replace Lewis in the Baltimore backfield during his suspension.

“We can’t lose any productivity,” Smith said. “Me and Chester are ready, and we’re going to hold it down while he’s out.”

Lewis was accused of trying to help broker a cocaine deal for co-defendant Angelo Jackson, a childhood friend, during conversations with a government informant. Charges against Jackson are pending.

Lewis agreed to testify at Jackson’s trial, still set for Nov. 1. By that time, Lewis will have completed his NFL suspension. He expects to work out during his absence and reclaim his starting spot.

“I have a good work ethic. I think I’ve proven that,” he said. “From a physical standpoint, I’ll miss something. But as far as anything else, I don’t think I’ll miss a beat.”

Lewis said he hopes others will benefit from his mistake, which occurred before he played his first NFL game.

“Watch your friends and who you have around you,” he said. “That’s the big picture of this whole thing.”

URL: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6152774/

[/quote

Good work David, Thanks. I was looking everywhere and I couldn't find it. I guess I'm enjoying this offseason alittle bit to much. I better get back in shape.

Peppers was busted for ephedrine. Like a previous poster said, this is considered a drug and by NFL standards there is no difference between it, coke or roids

Mike Anderson was suspended for four games in 2003

Eric Warfield was suspended for four games in 2005

David Boston was suspended for four games in 2004 :X

The NFL substance abuse policy does not differentiate between alcohol, marijuana, steroids or supplements (not cleared by the NFL).Peppers is on the list. The reason we don't hear about Peppers is that it was a supplement and clearly not something habitual like a traditional drug. More than likely Peppers is just being more careful about his supplement intake.

Edited - I don't know how many strikes Peppers has, but I know he was suspended 4 games his rookie year for being in violation of the NFL policy on substance abuse; which was a supplement. He claimed it was a supplement and unconfirmed sources verified Peppers story that it was a fringe supplement not a steroid.
It was cold medicine. Seriously.

If he got a four gamer, wouldn't that have been strike 2?

It was ephedrine

I recall it was something obsecure and questionable. But I am sure he did not get suspended for cold medicine. More than likely it was a particular ingredient in the cold medicine which was not on the NFL's allowable substance list.

it wasnt a fishing trip(on peppers) nor have i ever posted anything here to make someone think that...

I knew peppers was suspended for 4 games and thought that in and of itself meant his next mis-step was a 1yr suspension

Users who are viewing this thread