What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Lets rank the Rookie WR's going forward-- Rate there careers (1 Viewer)

packer_junkie

Footballguy
Never in my lifetime have I seen a crop this talented/deep. I would like to hear everyones opinion of how they see them stacking up over the course of there careers. Obviously there are many uncontrollable variables (injuries, qb play, etc) but try your best.

Guys I am considering in my discussion (add more if you feel inclined)

Watkins

Evans

Benjamin

Cooks

Beckham Jr.

Matthews

John Brown

Moncrief

Adams

Latimer

Hurns

Robinson

Lee

Jarvis Landry

Martavis Bryant

Paul Richardson

Watkins

Evans

Benjamin

Cooks

Beckham Jr.

Really confident in this top 5 -- I think 3 or 4 will be elite. Watkins and Beckham Jr. seem to be easy calls and Benjamin and Evans are huge and should be solid TD targets.

The guy I really like out of the rest...John Brown. Kid really reminds me of Marvin Harrison in his younger years. Him, Floyd, Jaron Brown and Ellington give the Cards a pretty potent group of young pass catchers.

Strong #1s
Watkins
Cooks
Beckham Jr.

1s/Strong 2s
Bryant
Evans
Benjamin
Latimer
Adams
Janis

2s/Strong 3s
[SIZE=14.2857141494751px]Robinson[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14.2857141494751px] [/SIZE]Matthews
John Brown
Moncrief
Hurns

3s/etc
Landry
Lee
Richardson

Last edited by a moderator:
Good luck, wdcrob. I'd bump Robinson and Matthews up and drop Janis. I like him but he's still a long-shot and could be buried if the Packers re-sign Cobb.

I'd also move Richardson up. Seattle isn't a fantasy friendly place for WR's, but Kearse is a RFA next year. If he leaves it opens the door for Richardson as the #1 outside receiver.

Jeff Janis should be multiple tiers away from Mike Evans who is a WR1, anyway.

must starts

M Evans

S Waktins

B Cooks

O Beckham

K Benjamin

good value starts

A Robinson

M Bryant

J Brown

J Matthews

plenty useful off the bench

D Adams

D Moncrief

C Latimer

A Hurns

Hold on to these guys

M Lee

P Richardson

J Landry

Taking situation into account, which I think we need to do moreso going forward with WRs. Just so many good ones in the league right now, that likely situation for the next handful of years really matters more than before IMO.

1. Beckham Jr

2. Cooks

3. Watkins

4. Evans

5. Adams

6. Benjamin

7. Matthews

8. Moncrief

9. Landry

10. Bryant

11. Robinson

12. Latimer

13. Brown

14. Lee

15. Janis

16. Richardson

17. Hurns

18. Grant

-Beckham Jr is special. Just has it. Manning can feed him plenty for the foreseeable future. Cooks is talented and landed in the perfect spot.

-Watkins and Evans don't really have a QB right now. They will be hard pressed to be top 10 producers until that happens. Hence the slight downgrade.

-Very good chance Adams is one of top 2 options for Rodgers in next year or two. At that point, he's a top 12 dynasty WR going forward.

-Benjamin has been very productive, but I need to see if Cam is regressing just because of injury. Also, how many WRs can Cam support? They will presumably add more this offseason. (White/Parker/Cooper?)

-Matthews and Moncrief are in fantastic situations to produce.

-I've watched Landry play quite a bit. He's just a darn good WR. Will be PPR dynamo for his career. downgrade in standard.

-Don't know what to make of Robinson just yet. Haven't seen him play much. Lots of targets already, and okay production. Obviously Bortles will determine a lot here.

-Latimer may very well get a year or two with Manning. Instantly becomes a viable WR2 in that case.

Tier 1

Watkins

Evans

Odell Beckham

Tier 2

Cooks

Robinson

Benjamin

Matthews

Bryant

Tier 3

John Brown

Moncrief

Adams

Wait and see:

Latimer

Hurns

Lee

Jarvis Landry

Paul Richardson

a few of you need to watch Evans play
Funny, I was about to post the same thing. He is a monster.
So far everybody that has given their rankings has him in their top 5. Their QBs are currently McCown and Glennon. Its not too difficult to see scenarios where he starts drawing a lot of the coverage and whatever QB they are throwing out there can't make him a WR1. Take it from a guy that had Steve Smith and Larry Fitzgerald through some pretty rough years. QBs really matter.

Tier 1 - Certain WR1+ Super Elite Studs Who Will Start on a Roster Every Week

Watkins
Evans
Odell Beckham

Tier 2 - Solid WR1s that make you very, very happy to own
Cooks
Benjamin

Tier 3 - Potential WR1/Solid WR2
Matthews (like him the most of these three, most probable WR1 of the group)
Bryant
Robinson

Tier 4 - WR2s with upside
John Brown
Adams

Tier 5 - WR3s with WR2 upside
Moncrief
Jarvis Landry (like him more in PPR formats)
Latimer
Hurns
Lee
Paul Richardson

All five of the first round guys have done well in some respects. The problem with all of them is that you're going to have to pay a premium now in dynasty based on youth, draft position, and perception of long-term stability. I find that the time to buy young players is before they get heavy PT, not after they show some production on the field. There are exceptions, but sophomores coming off promising rookie seasons can often be the WORST investments in dynasty because people tend to take the most optimistic line with regards to their future (i.e. Cordarrelle, Ball, Gio, Lacy, Stacy, RGIII, Richardson, Martin, D Wilson). I can't imagine that you could pull Cooks, Evans, Benjamin, Watkins, or Beckham away from one of his owners at this point without paying through the nose. I think those guys are good, but if you're paying top 10 dynasty WR prices for them then there's a thin profit margin and you're probably better off investing elsewhere.

I liked Robinson most of the 2nd-4th round WRs after the draft and still do. He will also be expensive due to his rookie stats, but the foot injury and 2nd round draft slot might push his value down. Other than him I like Moncrief due largely to the system. He doesn't have to be a perfect player to produce there with Luck. I could see him putting up numbers like Mike Wallace in Pitt or at least like Torrey Smith in Balt once he gets his chance. With Nicks a non-factor for the future and Wayne being ancient, Moncrief could be startable as early as next season.

I like Adams, Bryant, and Matthews some, but wouldn't pay market value for any of them. I see Bryant as similar to Moncrief, but probably being more expensive due to his rookie exploits. Lee and Latimer could be worth a punt if their price falls low enough. Neither guy to me is really a must-have asset though. Lee is small and prone to injury with inconsistent hands whereas Latimer doesn't seem to move that well IMO.

The scary thing about Evans is that he has yet to truly take over a game. He has no ceiling. The week he scored two TD's, the QB left two more gimmes on the field.

One man's stab; what a deep class!

Watkins

Evans

Beckham

Cooks

Benjamin

Matthews

Robinson

Latimer

Adams

Moncrief

Bryant

Brown

Lee

Richardson

Landry

Hurns

Janis

I can't imagine that you could pull Cooks, Evans, Benjamin, Watkins, or Beckham away from one of his owners at this point without paying through the nose.
Yep. I wouldnt sell either Evans or Cooks ( I own both in my dynasty league) for anything short of a king's ransom.

Why? That's how highly I rate them, and have rated them since college.

In fact, a good 4-5 weeks ago I gave away Dez Bryant in a 12 team PPR league, for Cooks, Crowell and what will surely be a top 4 pick in 2015. Regrets? zero. Couldnt be happier

ConnSKINS26 said:
The scary thing about Evans is that he has yet to truly take over a game. He has no ceiling. The week he scored two TD's, the QB left two more gimmes on the field.
I want to see Evans draw the other teams #1 corner and double teams not Buster Skrine though. I think that's why some still have a few questions on him vs some of the guys who are already their teams #1.

Below were my pre-draft rankings:

WR
1) Sammy Watkins
2) Mike Evans
3) Marquise Lee
4) Odell Beckum Jr
5) Jordan Matthews
6) Brandin Cooks
7) Allen Robinson
8) Donte Monceif
9) Cody Latimer
10) Kelvin Benjamin
11) Paul Richardson
12) Martavias Bryant
13) Davante Adams
14) Brandon Coleman
15) Jarvis Landry
16) Cody Hoffman
17) Jered Abbredaris
18) Bruce Ellington
19) Kevin Norwood
20) Jeff Janis

I still like Lee... Paul Richardson is gonna be a good one too...

Jeff Janis is a talent! If the Pack lets Cobb go he is going to emerge!

If we were redrafting just rookie receivers today I would rank them this way.

1. Watkins

1a. Beckham

2. Evans

3. Benjamin.

4. Cooks

After this I think you can make a case for a lot of guys. It will depend who is added in the draft and free agency. I think these guys are locked in as the number 1 receiver for their team for the next 3 to 5 years.

Man this has to be one of the best groups I've ever seen. So many studs.
It's right off the bat too - the instant impact is what's so amazing. Of course the rules help a little more now than before, but there are 7 or 8 legit options at WR who are rookies right now.

It's right off the bat too - the instant impact is what's so amazing. Of course the rules help a little more now than before, but there are 7 or 8 legit options at WR who are rookies right now.
I too am amazed at how many top-notch WR rookies are producing like second / third year receivers. Like QB classes of the past we will be talking about this group of wideouts for years to come. Here I am starting two of these guys some weeks. Although I am a bit concerned for the present with Watkins being a tad gun shy because of his groin and Benjamin because of Cam and how awful the Panthers have looked recently. Garbage time TD helped ;) . Benjamin gets a good matchup this week. And Beckham, Jr. looks like not only an asending star, but a complete stud right now! Starting him confidently in another league. And just traded him for Ingram in another - needed RB help big time. I picked up Odell off the waiver wire prior to him return. Cooks doing everything asked of him...just lots of weapons at Brees's disposal.

Anyone slightly concerned for drop of production going forward this year for Sammy or Kelvin? 10 TD's and 1,000 yards is a good year for a WR.

Question? Would you start any of these WR's over Josh Gordon when he returns? I don't think I would.

Yep. In terms of dynasty value overall though, im not sure the shear number of good WR options helps. Wide receiver is becoming like LBer in idp leagues. You can always find a good option because there are so many of them. The dynasty wide receiver landscape right now is at least 40 deep with good options.

Watkins
Evans
Odell Beckham

Cooks
Benjamin

Bryant
Robinson

John Brown
Adams
Corey Washington-----once the Giants figure it out.

Moncrief
Latimer
Hurns
Lee
Paul Richardson

Watkins
Evans
Odell Beckham

Cooks
Benjamin

Bryant
Robinson

John Brown
Adams

Moncrief
Latimer
Hurns
Lee
Paul Richardson
:thumbup:

Really not sure how/when he'll get a chance though. Preston Parker has been playing well enough to keep a hold on the 3rd WR job. I really thought Cruz going down would be his big opportunity, but apparently not.

steveski said:
Two Deep said:

Watkins
Evans
Odell Beckham

Cooks
Benjamin

Bryant
Robinson

John Brown
Adams

Moncrief
Latimer
Hurns
Lee
Paul Richardson

Really not sure how/when he'll get a chance though. Preston Parker has been playing well enough to keep a hold on the 3rd WR job. I really thought Cruz going down would be his big opportunity, but apparently not.
I would have thought by now they would work him in with Parker...I hear he doesn't have all the routes, but you would think they could conjure up a few plays that play to his strengths...As this season looks like it has slipped away for the G-Men they would be wise to give him some shots. Hell, Ruben Randle has been running the wrong routes for three years now and he somehow continues to get on the field.

I know small sample and all but here's how they rank in PPG in one PPR league I am in...

Bryant 20.325

Beckham 16.48

Evans 15.938

Benjamin 15.090

Watkins 14.856

Cooks 14.311

Matthews 12.678

Allen Robinson 11.680

John Brown 11.011

Allen Hurns 10.75

On the Corey Washington topic, maybe they don't want to "unleash" his talent yet for scouting in the flow of this season. Mike Tomlin was quoted saying how he wanted to wait with Martavis Bryant until a certain time of the season, which he was forced to unload him early ... and you see his impact.

Coaches "script" seasons, it's an art ... I think Corey Washington comes on in the final 3-4 games considering they are a long shot for the playoffs

If they Giants were in a division race (a la Martavis), Corey Washington would be out now

I know small sample and all but here's how they rank in PPG in one PPR league I am in...

Bryant 20.325

Beckham 16.48

Evans 15.938

Benjamin 15.090

Watkins 14.856

Cooks 14.311

Matthews 12.678

Allen Robinson 11.680

John Brown 11.011

Allen Hurns 10.75
The most amazing thing about that is Bryant has played roughly 50% of those snaps and 0% of his snaps were from 2 minute offense which is where WR make hay.

Evans

Watkins

Cooks/ODB (interchangable)

Benjamin

The rest is still unclear to me... But those 5, studly.

UNBELIEVABLE class this year. I've heard a lot of people talking about how much easier it is for a rookie to break in in today's NFL, but that simply doesn't explain this kind of depth. This number of quality contributors would be remarkable 3 years past the draft, let alone half a season in.

Uber-studs in the making No real surprises here

Watkins

Evans

Every week fantasy starts, high potential WR1s A couple here that most people didn't expect this much from.

Benjamin

Mathews (end of tier non-ppr)

Cooks (possibly a slot or two higher non-ppr)

Beckham

Landry (drops a tier non-ppr)

Solid Contributors/some WR1 potential A couple of players we haven't seen enough of yet to be sure belong in this tier

Bryant (You could easily convince me he belongs a tier up)

Robinson

Richardson (another we haven't seen enough of yet)

Moncrief

Adams (need to see more!)

Lattimore (another we haven't seen enough of yet)

Likely part-time/bye week contributors

John Brown

Lee

Allen Hurns

Right now, I'm far more confidant in my top 7 than in the next 10. Seems like you could almost draw names out of a hat for those, but a of of that is due to more limited opportunity, and at least a couple of them are certain to move up a tier (or even two) within a couple of years. It's hard to argue, for example, with guys that love someone like Adams, Richardson, or Lattimore and had them as a top 5 or 6 prospect pre-season as they really haven't been used enough to prove or disprove where they belong, but have been seen enough to know we need to see more.

There a a handful of other WRs worth monitoring, such as Josh Huff, Kevin Norwood , Janis, Ellington, and Taylor Gabriel- players unlikely to ever be consistent fantasy starts but could have relevance at some point in their careers. I'm sure I've missed a couple of names.

Simply a ridiculous amount of depth here. Five years from now, there will still be 8 or 10 of these guys in the top 40 of dynasty WR rankings. Considering decent to good WRs play around 7 or 8 years on average, that's a ton for one class.

UNBELIEVABLE class this year. I've heard a lot of people talking about how much easier it is for a rookie to break in in today's NFL, but that simply doesn't explain this kind of depth. This number of quality contributors would be remarkable 3 years past the draft, let alone half a season in.

Uber-studs in the making No real surprises here

Watkins

Evans

Every week fantasy starts, high potential WR1s A couple here that most people didn't expect this much from.

Benjamin

Mathews (end of tier non-ppr)

Cooks (possibly a slot or two higher non-ppr)

Beckham

Landry (drops a tier non-ppr)

Solid Contributors/some WR1 potential A couple of players we haven't seen enough of yet to be sure belong in this tier

Bryant (You could easily convince me he belongs a tier up)

Robinson

Richardson (another we haven't seen enough of yet)

Moncrief

Adams (need to see more!)

Lattimore (another we haven't seen enough of yet)

Likely part-time/bye week contributors

John Brown

Lee

Allen Hurns

Right now, I'm far more confidant in my top 7 than in the next 10. Seems like you could almost draw names out of a hat for those, but a of of that is due to more limited opportunity, and at least a couple of them are certain to move up a tier (or even two) within a couple of years. It's hard to argue, for example, with guys that love someone like Adams, Richardson, or Lattimore and had them as a top 5 or 6 prospect pre-season as they really haven't been used enough to prove or disprove where they belong, but have been seen enough to know we need to see more.

There a a handful of other WRs worth monitoring, such as Josh Huff, Kevin Norwood , Janis, Ellington, and Taylor Gabriel- players unlikely to ever be consistent fantasy starts but could have relevance at some point in their careers. I'm sure I've missed a couple of names.

Simply a ridiculous amount of depth here. Five years from now, there will still be 8 or 10 of these guys in the top 40 of dynasty WR rankings. Considering decent to good WRs play around 7 or 8 years on average, that's a ton for one class.
If you're going to give passes to Adams, Richardson, Latimer due to not much playing time...then why not Marquise Lee?

It's pretty remarkable how much people have forgotten or think very little of him moving forward. He's had nagging hammy, MCL, ankle injuries the last 2 years and all of a sudden he's below almost everyone.

there's amazing talent in this class but trying to predict their entire careers in a near impossibility. If you would've started this thread 3 weeks ago the results would've been dramatically different. At this point you want to go with the talent but if one of these guys gets a Luck type QB in 2 years they will likely end up top 5 even though they may be 15th on the list now. QB and system is such a HUGE factor that's really hard to predict...look at Antonio Brown...he wouldn't have been on any of the top dynasty lists even in week 4 this year let alone last year or the year before.

Watkins
Evans
Odell Beckham

Cooks
Benjamin

Bryant
Robinson

John Brown
Adams

Moncrief
Latimer
Hurns
Lee
Paul Richardson

I picked up Corey Washington this week as a deep dynasty sleeper. I like his physical ability and the situation. We'll see if he can show more the rest of the year to justify hanging onto him in off season.

Watkins

Evans

Benjamin

Cooks

Beckham Jr.

Really confident in this top 5 -- I think 3 or 4 will be elite. Watkins and Beckham Jr. seem to be easy calls and Benjamin and Evans are huge and should be solid TD targets.

The guy I really like out of the rest...John Brown. Kid really reminds me of Marvin Harrison in his younger years. Him, Floyd, Jaron Brown and Ellington give the Cards a pretty potent group of young pass catchers.
The thing (for me) with the type of WR Brown is is that he's sort of a one-trick pony. I know some of them (Desean Jackson, Mike Wallace) work out for a while but they're never reliable, week-in week-out starters.

After what Beckham has done I'd say sky's the limit for him...It'd be hard for me to put anyone in the class over him. The more he gets put on his shoulders the better he continues to do.

Beckham

Watkins

Evans

Benjamin

Cooks

Matthews

Adams

Landry

Bryant

After what Beckham has done I'd say sky's the limit for him...It'd be hard for me to put anyone in the class over him. The more he gets put on his shoulders the better he continues to do.

Beckham

Watkins

Evans

Benjamin

Cooks

Matthews

Adams

Landry

Bryant
Have to agree. He's the one that's continued to excel week in week out with extra defensive attention.

Never in my lifetime have I seen a crop this talented/deep. I would like to hear everyones opinion of how they see them stacking up over the course of there careers. Obviously there are many uncontrollable variables (injuries, qb play, etc) but try your best.

Guys I am considering in my discussion (add more if you feel inclined)

Watkins

Evans

Benjamin

Cooks

Beckham Jr.

Matthews

John Brown

Moncrief

Adams

Latimer

Hurns

Robinson

Lee

Jarvis Landry

Martavis Bryant

Paul Richardson
Shouldn't we wait to do a career eval until most or all of their careers are over? I see better exercise being a review of this season or a forecast for next.

Most rookie receptions:

#2 - Beckham

#5 - Landry

#7 - Benjamin

#14 - Evans

#18 - Matthews

#24 - Watkins

#53 - Cooks (10 games)

#66 - Hurns

#86 - John Brown

#96 - Robinson (10 games)

Compared to the fabled 2009 class:

#34 - Collie

#35 - Harvin

#41 - Maclin

#89 - Crabtree (11 games)

#97 - Mike Thomas

Most rookie receptions:

#2 - Beckham

#5 - Landry

#7 - Benjamin

#14 - Evans

#18 - Matthews

#24 - Watkins

#53 - Cooks (10 games)

#66 - Hurns

#86 - John Brown

#96 - Robinson (10 games)

Compared to the fabled 2009 class:

#34 - Collie

#35 - Harvin

#41 - Maclin

#89 - Crabtree (11 games)

#97 - Mike Thomas
Go ahead and add (12 games) after Beckham Jr. to make it even more impressive.

I wouldn't be at all shocked if 5 years from now the later drafted Clemson WR outperforms the first rounder. I'm talking about Watkins and Bryant. I'm worried about Watkin's situation. The Bills only have Manuel, and don't have a 1st round pick this year to chase after a top QB prospect.

Martavis Bryant had a good year and didn't start the first 6 games. With an entier offseason and a talented QB like Big Ben, he could easily outscore Watkins, especially with Antonio Brown getting double covered on every play.

I wouldn't be at all shocked if 5 years from now the later drafted Clemson WR outperforms the first rounder. I'm talking about Watkins and Bryant. I'm worried about Watkin's situation. The Bills only have Manuel, and don't have a 1st round pick this year to chase after a top QB prospect.

Martavis Bryant had a good year and didn't start the first 6 games. With an entier offseason and a talented QB like Big Ben, he could easily outscore Watkins, especially with Antonio Brown getting double covered on every play.
I think Watkins will emerge as the best WR from this class. He had a dumpster fire at QB all year and also played with broken ribs.

I think Watkins will emerge as the best WR from this class. He had a dumpster fire at QB all year and also played with broken ribs.
And still had 1000 yards

Users who are viewing this thread