What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Let's talk Derrick Williams (1 Viewer)

GridironMenace

Footballguy
The kid is quick. Really quick (sub 4.4 speed) and has great hands. He is in a less than ideal situation playing in Detroit. However, playing on a bad team that will be playing from behind with Calvin Johnson taking on double teams has to be a good thing for his fantasy prospects. What do people think about his dynasty value?

No value.His speed is overstated, he didn't produce in college, and he is on an abysmal team with a rookie QB.
this is a pretty poor representation. while he didn't produce compared to the hype when he came out, he was an extremely productive player in multiple ways for penn state. his return abilities alone made them a better team. i'm ok with not thinking his situation as a rookie, with a rookie qb, and a bunch of other receivers around him are all good reasons to knock his value for this year, but overall, to say he has no value and didn't produce in college is quite naive.

I like Williams a lot as a football player but think he is going to be a slot WR in the NFL and nothing more. Could Det's offense blossom into a high powered attack and him pose some fantasy value eventually? Sure. Right now however, they have a bad oline, a washed up QB or rookie QB starting for them and Williams is 4th on the depth chart behind C. Johnson, B. Johnson and Curry. Little value this year. Possible late round value in years to come IMO.

As a rookie, Williams will upgrade their return units and finally allow them to dump Aveion Cason. Thank goodness. He has a shot to be on the field when they go to 3 or 4 WR sets, but he'll have to beat out Ron Curry for the slot/3rd role. I don't know that Curry has a lot to offer at this point, so Williams could earn some time there, but it's far from a given. Keep an eye on Williams this summer to see if he is outplaying Curry and Keary Colbert. Long term, he should be a good fit for the slot and I wouldn't rule out the possibility of him becoming the WR2 opposite Megatron. On the other hand, it's just as likely that the Lions find that player via free agency.

I like Williams a lot as a football player but think he is going to be a slot WR in the NFL and nothing more. Could Det's offense blossom into a high powered attack and him pose some fantasy value eventually? Sure. Right now however, they have a bad oline, a washed up QB or rookie QB starting for them and Williams is 4th on the depth chart behind C. Johnson, B. Johnson and Curry. Little value this year. Possible late round value in years to come IMO.
:bag:

As a rookie, Williams will upgrade their return units and finally allow them to dump Aveion Cason. Thank goodness. He has a shot to be on the field when they go to 3 or 4 WR sets, but he'll have to beat out Ron Curry for the slot/3rd role. I don't know that Curry has a lot to offer at this point, so Williams could earn some time there, but it's far from a given. Keep an eye on Williams this summer to see if he is outplaying Curry and Keary Colbert. Long term, he should be a good fit for the slot and I wouldn't rule out the possibility of him becoming the WR2 opposite Megatron. On the other hand, it's just as likely that the Lions find that player via free agency.
:lmao: i think at best williams can fight to win about half of the slot plays from curry to start then go from there. he could be the #2 but he needs to show he can break the plays off and create more after he gets it. he will be a good return man, the fact he has finally showed cason the door is a great thing. he does not have alot of upside right now but he could do something. plus the defense has added 8 new people. yes i am a homer but while the defense probably will not be good they will at least display a different kind of suck than last years group. really i think there will be a big improvement not dolphins improved but middle of the roadish. anyways i like williams from a football standpoint, he can help the team but he is no where ready to help a fantasy team. pettigrew has a chance to make a difference and smith should have a very good year but not williams he still has to work his way up the chart and use his speed.

I agree with Bob and WW's takes. One thing that hasn't been mentioned about Derrick Williams is that Penn State has not been a haven for quarterbacks in quite some time. Darryl Clark is an interesting prospect, but he's only played one season. I'd love to hear Nittanylions take on PSU's passing game, because from what I recall watching was a lot of perimeter plays in he short, intermediate and long range, and a lot of passing over the middle in the short range. When a team knows you aren't going to challenge he middle of the defense, it's going to have an easier time stopping those dump offs they threw.

It just seems to me that Williams hasn't shown a lot as an all-around receiver, but did he play in a system where they really would have developed him to be that guy? Because of that unknown, I think Williams is an intriguing player that I wouldn't write off until we've seen him for a couple of seasons.

I agree with Bob and WW's takes. One thing that hasn't been mentioned about Derrick Williams is that Penn State has not been a haven for quarterbacks in quite some time. Darryl Clark is an interesting prospect, but he's only played one season. I'd love to hear Nittanylions take on PSU's passing game, because from what I recall watching was a lot of perimeter plays in he short, intermediate and long range, and a lot of passing over the middle in the short range. When a team knows you aren't going to challenge he middle of the defense, it's going to have an easier time stopping those dump offs they threw. It just seems to me that Williams hasn't shown a lot as an all-around receiver, but did he play in a system where they really would have developed him to be that guy? Because of that unknown, I think Williams is an intriguing player that I wouldn't write off until we've seen him for a couple of seasons.
Both Deon Butler and Jordan Norwood exhibited a lot more polish in their routes and catching technique than Williams, so I wouldn't pin Williams lack of progress as a receiver on the PSU offensive system.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with Bob and WW's takes. One thing that hasn't been mentioned about Derrick Williams is that Penn State has not been a haven for quarterbacks in quite some time. Darryl Clark is an interesting prospect, but he's only played one season. I'd love to hear Nittanylions take on PSU's passing game, because from what I recall watching was a lot of perimeter plays in he short, intermediate and long range, and a lot of passing over the middle in the short range. When a team knows you aren't going to challenge he middle of the defense, it's going to have an easier time stopping those dump offs they threw. It just seems to me that Williams hasn't shown a lot as an all-around receiver, but did he play in a system where they really would have developed him to be that guy? Because of that unknown, I think Williams is an intriguing player that I wouldn't write off until we've seen him for a couple of seasons.
Both Deon Butler and Jordan Norwood exhibited a lot more polish in their routes and catching technique than Williams, so I wouldn't pin Williams lack of progress as a receiver on the PSU offensive system.
agree and disagree. i think this is more of a product of how those 3 players were used than it is a true reflection of an inability of williams to learn. the so-called "spread hd" system that wonderboy jay paterno credits himself with was all about multiple players touching the ball in a variety of ways. i'd have to look back, but i'm pretty sure penn state ended up in the top 20 in the nation in total yards, leaning a bit heavier to the rushing side. but overall, i think their passing attack probably ended up top 30 or so. but williams was used more in wild card fashion than as a true receiver. because of his mixed pedigree coming in, he's always been viewed this way by penn state coaches. he had a lot of rushes in this system, where guys like norwood and butler weren't asked to do that at all. they were asked to be receivers, williams was asked to be a receiver, running back, wildcat qb, and return man. norwood and butler have great technique because of this, but williams often lined up in the backfield and took handoffs, pitches, or screens (sometimes laterals leading to rush attempts). i don't know what the average yp/r was by the three of them but i guarantee williams was the lowest because he took so many short hook and screen type of passes, allowing him to do what he did best and that was create with his legs. so that's why i posted above that saying he has no value is naive. he should be returning, he could be used in a wildcat, probably can run enough slot type of routes, and ultimately has good speed and ok size. this system did not line up williams to learn good route-running, but did probably establish within him a good sense of timing. if someone can actually teach williams how to be a receiver, i think he'll stick around as more than a part-timer.

True, but I think you're oversimplifying my statement, Sigmund. Did Norwood and Butler run deep in's, skinny posts, and routes over the middle? I didn't see it often. None of those players ran a complete tree of pro style routes. Butler showed good techniques with breaks and catching with his hands, but I'd be willing to bet PSU had a lot less to do with their development than what they already brought to the table. Plus, even was strictly a perimeter receiver in the intermediate or deep range. A guy like Sammie Stroughter who is of similar dimensions caught the skinny post, the deep in, and the post in the Oregon St. program. These guys at PSU didn't. Partially due to the fact their QBs weren't very accurate (Morelli was terrible in that department and Clark, I just didn't see those plays with him). Butler could very well turn into more than a slot receiver. Norwood could maybe make a team...IF they both work on being more than check down players or slot guys that get a good match up one on one to get deep on the perimeter they might be decent fill-ins as an outside option. That said, I think Williams probably has a better chance physically to be an outside option. If you combined Butler and Williams' strengths then you get that kind of player.

My point is I wouldn't write off Williams until he gets some NFL coaching and devotes more time to developing his craft because I argue that college football isn't the place where players have their greatest phase of development and I think PSU's passing attack probably validates this view. I'm not saying the guy is a better receiver than people expect. He has physical talent and PSU wasn't a great passing offense so I think it's overly dismissive to say he'll never do anything but be a part-time slot receiver.

Last edited by a moderator:
My point is I wouldn't write off Williams until he gets some NFL coaching and devotes more time to developing his craft because I argue that college football isn't the place where players have their greatest phase of development and I think PSU's passing attack probably validates this view. I'm not saying the guy is a better receiver than people expect. He has physical talent and PSU wasn't a great passing offense so I think it's overly dismissive to say he'll never do anything but be a part-time slot receiver.
That's a great point and you're right that I oversimplified what you said - JohnB brings up some good points, too.This is a good framing of the narrative for Williams - terrific athlete, not so natural as a receiver. Will the Lions staff unlock potential that wasn't utilized in PSU's offense? I'm still inclined to say no just because Williams doesn't look smooth or consistent catching the ball, and that to me comes down to instincts more than coaching or development, but the payoff is high if he does, so this is definitely a situation worth watching.

It's also interesting you mention Norwood: looking at the news, he supposedly made the best catch in camp over three defenders deep downfield.

As a Nittany Lion grad, in a deep IDP league that has 12 teams, starts 4-5 WRs, and gives 1 pt/10 yrds on all returns (!), I'm very interested in Williams as a sleeper in our draft (8 keepers, then serp). Does anyone have any additional info on Williams and his role in Detroits return game? Has he locked it up this early? (Seems unlikely.) Are there any challengers on the team? (Usually a couple.)

Users who are viewing this thread