What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Lions LB's (1 Viewer)

PhantomJB

Footballguy
Was hoping someone familiar with the Lions' LB situation could shed some light on how the subpackage roles are shaking out.

Everything I've read suggests WLB Whitehead is going to again play a 3-down role...however

... the article below (sorry can't vouch for author) suggests Whitehead will shift to MIKE for subpackages...this would imply starting MLB Jarrad Davis would get bumped to the bench...but I haven't seen anything about who would then replace Davis (Worrilow?)...or even able to confirm whether he's been coming out. 

The tricky thing is that nearly every IDP projection I've seen has Davis significantly outperforming Whitehead for the year...which obviously wouldn't make sense if the above were true.

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks.

http://www.4for4.com/fantasy-football/2016/preseason/11-breakout-linebackers-target-idp-leagues

This article is from august 2016. By all accounts it will be Davis manning middle as the 3 down MIKE. Personally, I still see Whitehead holding value as this lions defense will be on the field early and often in 2017. Whitehead has been flying under the radar this off season because Davis is in the middle, but I see enough tackle opportunities for two productive linebackers on this defense.

This article is from august 2016. By all accounts it will be Davis manning middle as the 3 down MIKE. Personally, I still see Whitehead holding value as this lions defense will be on the field early and often in 2017. Whitehead has been flying under the radar this off season because Davis is in the middle, but I see enough tackle opportunities for two productive linebackers on this defense.
D-oh!  Been out of the game a couple years and the rust is showing.

Thanks for taking the time to elaborate...this makes sense and is now consistent with the EOTG's from Mr. Norton.

Appreciate the clarity from all who read and responded and apologies for any confusion.

Whitehead will start out in a three down role but Reeves-Maybin has looked fantastic so far. I was viewing JRM as a possible WILL starter in 2018, especially since he missed so much of the offseason and was thought of as undersized, but now I think he'll put up a fight this season. Wouldn't surprise me if there is a switch here mid season.

Hey Louche,

With the Whitehead knee injury the other night- which I have yet to hear the extent of- will this open the door up sooner rather than later for Reeves-Maybin at weak side LB? Any info or thoughts would be appreciated. 

Latest reports on Whitehead are that he's fine.  Unless something contrary comes out in the next day or two I expect he'll be starting at WLB in week 1

Users who are viewing this thread