What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Lions to use Tecmo Bowl playbook with Culpepper? (1 Viewer)

The double reverse pass to the Tight End is money.

Start Gaines with confidence.

lol...GB the Lions.

See, the Lions' stupidity wasn't all Millen. lol @ this signing. Why on Earth do you sign this schlep who is a band-aid at best? All you're doing is giving less time to see or confirm what the young QBs can do (not to mention screwing up your draft position next year).

See, the Lions' stupidity wasn't all Millen. lol @ this signing. Why on Earth do you sign this schlep who is a band-aid at best? All you're doing is giving less time to see or confirm what the young QBs can do (not to mention screwing up your draft position next year).
This will probably boost Drew Stantons confidence too. Signing a guy who was laying on the couch watching football last Sunday and starting him after three days of practice.

Last edited by a moderator:
This will probably boost Drew Stantons confidence too. Signing a guy who was laying on the coach watching football last Sunday and starting him after three days of practice.
He was laying on the coach? No wonder he got the job!

This will probably boost Drew Stantons confidence too. Signing a guy who was laying on the coach watching football last Sunday and starting him after three days of practice.
If Drew Stanton doesn't at least get a look this season, that tells me that Stanton probably doesn't even deserve to be on a NFL roster.

If Drew Stanton doesn't at least get a look this season, that tells me that Stanton probably doesn't even deserve to be on a NFL roster.
Why do you say that? Because the Lions are so great at evaluating talent? They traded Rogers for Bodden with CLE. Who came out on top of that deal? Isn't it more telling that the Lions are the only team to think Cpep has anything to give after a year out of the league? The jury is way out on Stanton. He looked OK in preseason and I'm sure he is a work in progress, but it shows the ineptitude of the organization to sign a guy off the street and hand him the starting gig after 3 practices over a guy that has been practicing in the system for most of this season.

Detroit's HC outright said last week that Stanton simply isnt ready right now and he doesnt want to do that to him....having said that...has it been confirmed Pep is even starting this weekend?

I think that this signing and move says that they've seen enough from Stanton in practice to know that he is an even worse option. I'd be suprised if he's on the team next year.

I trust one of those two passing plays is throw it deep and throw it up for Calvin Johnson, and the other to throw it wherever Calvin Johnson is.

I think it was John Clayton's blog...but he harkened back to when the Steelers worked out Culpepper and Leftwich. Their first preference was to sign Culpepper. He aced the workout (although both QB's performed well). Leftwich though proved more signable (1 year $685K deal).

Coming in off the street, Vinny Testaverde got himself a win last year. Let's also remember that Culpepper was in the morass that was the Raiders last year, so that may have reflected on his performance. I don't know, I have a funny feeling he is going to surprise.

I like the signing. Culpepper is only 31 and the Lions have a budding Randy Moss to throw to.

Why not? They can`t do any worse.

“I can’t say that I’m going to be the guy to change things,” Culpepper said. “But I want to be the guy that helps. No one person in football wins a game or loses a game. You learn that very early. And, if you’re smart, you do what you can do. When you’re afforded the opportunity to make a play, you make a play.”

Culpepper’s most recent association with football before signing with the Lions was working with his 6-year-old son’s pee-wee football team in Ft. Lauderdale, Fla.

I think that this signing and move says that they've seen enough from Stanton in practice to know that he is an even worse option. I'd be suprised if he's on the team next year.
I would think that the last 10 years of chucking guys who aren't ready into games (Carr, Couch, Akili, Harrington) and getting them killed while other high picks who rode the bench for a few years (Rodgers, Rivers) have preformed much better by comparison would be reason to congratulate the Lions on thinking about their future instead of trying to figure out if Stanton or Culpepper gives them a small chance at going 1-8 after this week.

“I can’t say that I’m going to be the guy to change things,” Culpepper said. “But I want to be the guy that helps. No one person in football wins a game or loses a game. You learn that very early. And, if you’re smart, you do what you can do. When you’re afforded the opportunity to make a play, you make a play.”

Culpepper’s most recent association with football before signing with the Lions was working with his 6-year-old son’s pee-wee football team in Ft. Lauderdale, Fla.
So I guess you are saying he is taking a step down to play with the Lions :lol:

I like the signing. Culpepper is only 31 and the Lions have a budding Randy Moss to throw to.Why not? They can`t do any worse.
No other team in the NFL wanted this guy, he last played for the Raiders? this is the NFL, win at all costs.That tells me he is seriously damaged goods.

Linus Scrimmage said:
Da Guru said:
I like the signing. Culpepper is only 31 and the Lions have a budding Randy Moss to throw to.Why not? They can`t do any worse.
No other team in the NFL wanted this guy, he last played for the Raiders? this is the NFL, win at all costs.That tells me he is seriously damaged goods.
I dont think it's that there wasnt a team that wanted him, I think it was more that a few teams wanted him, but he didnt want to play as a #2 for that little money.I'm not even a huge Pepper fan. . . .but seems like theres no easy way out of this league for player that have performed well at some point and were a fan favorite.Here's what I think he's thinking."Hey, if I can start somewhere, then yeah, I would love to play, if not, then it had better be a sweet contract for me to sit 2nd string. . .probably not going to happen, so no worries and I'll move on from the NFL"If I remember, he tried out for both the Steelers and the Pack, and both gave him consideration, and neigher worked out despite that he had a solid tryout. Now he has the chance to start for a team that will be passing a ton and has a great WR. What else would a fading QB want?Give the guy s chance. . . .maybe he does suck. . .but putting all the passing woes of the Dolphins and Raiders on him isnt entirely fair.I say give him 2 or 3 games to find his connection with Calvin. . . .if that fails, one of those other QB's in Det should make a showing.

Linus Scrimmage said:
Da Guru said:
I like the signing. Culpepper is only 31 and the Lions have a budding Randy Moss to throw to.

No other team in the NFL wanted this guy, he last played for the Raiders? this is the NFL, win at all costs.

That tells me he is seriously damaged goods.
You can`t lump the Lions in with any other NFL teams though. Other NFL teams at least have a little talent.

Echo Seven said:
Da Guru said:
BigRed said:
no one actually DESERVES to be on the lions.

Linus Scrimmage said:
Da Guru said:

No other team in the NFL wanted this guy, he last played for the Raiders? this is the NFL, win at all costs.

You can`t lump the Lions in with any other NFL team though. Other NFL teams at least have a little talent.
The Chiefs certainly could have used him, they are just as bad, if not worse than the Lions.Vikings? having no QB is ruining their season.

49ers? shuan hill? cmon now.

Plenty of teams need a QB

Linus Scrimmage said:
Da Guru said:

That's not true. No one wanted to pay him what he thought he was worth and/or he wasn't willing to take a backup job.

In today's NFL anything is possible.

I think Culpepper will surprise on Sunday. I think he will put up some nice numbers, at least 220 yds passing and 2 TDs to Calvin.

I'm the one that put out the 0-16 thread but I think they have a decent chance to win this game. C Pep should give them a boost.

I actually agree that Culpepper could step in and raise some eyebrows (in a good way). Every time you think you have the NFL figured out, it throws you a curveball. The fact that almost everyone is in agreement that this is a colossal mistake, makes me think this could be yet another time we're all left picking our jaw up off the floor.

Not saying it'll happen, just that I wouldn't be at all surprised.

The Chiefs certainly could have used him, they are just as bad, if not worse than the Lions.Vikings? having no QB is ruining their season.49ers? shuan hill? cmon now.Plenty of teams need a QB
That you included the Vikes in this analysis says a lot about your analysis. Any bridge between Childress and Culpepper was burned for reasons that are not relevant today but the bridge was burned nonetheless. SF and the Mike Martz offense is a blatant mismatch with Culpepper. The only other team you mentioned that would be a viable opportunity for Culpepper is KC, and KC did express interest in signing him but Culpepper publically rejected them just last week.

I wonder if this is all a misdirection for the Jags, and they are actually going to start Stanton. Give him a better chance of success if the defense is preparing for Culpepper?

in all seriousness ..... what do owners of Calvin Johnson do this week? I mean, i have other options at WR. would you start CJ w/ confidence this week? Im feeling inclined to bench CJ this week and see how this plays out.

in all seriousness ..... what do owners of Calvin Johnson do this week? I mean, i have other options at WR. would you start CJ w/ confidence this week? Im feeling inclined to bench CJ this week and see how this plays out.
have been going back and forth between him and thigpen all week. as of now looking at starting thigpen and see how duante gels with him.

I normally would say bench him, but CJ is a different breed of WR. The Lions will probably have a horrible game but CJ could come out with 100 and a tD just by throwing the ball up for grabs.

Users who are viewing this thread