What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Lions trying to trade for a receiver (1 Viewer)

wormburner

Footballguy
Per Rotoworld:

Sources tell the Lions' official site that the team has talked with "multiple teams this morning" about trading for a receiver.
With Nate Burleson (arm) out indefinitely, Ryan Broyles' knees shaky and Patrick Edwards' (ankle) status unknown, the Lions are very thin at wide receiver. Josh Gordon and Greg Little are both reportedly being shopped and are possible trade candidates. Contract-year WR Kenny Britt has been phased out of the Titans offense and could also be available. Even if Broyles' knees hold up and he seizes the slot position, the Lions will need an outside receiver.
Source: Tim Twentyman on Twitter
Sep 24 - 11:36 AM

maybe mikel leshoure and a pick for gordon

would seem to help both teams out... even though if im the the browns idk if I would want to get rid of gordon

Britt has been dropped in a lot of the leagues I'm in. Including me who dropped him.

He'll probably jump up to the waiver wire pick of the week if it's him.

Nicks is in a contract year. If the Giants brass don't think they'll be able to keep him or meet his asking price, maybe. Thing is would the Lions pony up what it'd take to get him.

I might pick Britt up and hold him for a few days on this news....

Hopefully he can make it to Detroit without being arrested or hurt.

It seems to me there are not a tremendous amount of examples each year where a WR is traded or moves in FA in the offseason and really succeeds the following year, even with a whole offseason to work with the team and learn the playbook. (Althought Welker is doing pretty well with this move)

It seems like there are even less (if any) circumstances where a WR changes teams mid-season and can contribute.

So that being said, even if a player like Britt with his wobbly knees and bad attitude gets traded, can he make any impact? I can't really see a scenario for any player that it would be a huge impact and possibly hurts Gordon's value for the immediate future.

I doubt the Lions want Britt with the headaches they had with Young.
that is a good point, but than gordon might fall into that same category...britt is also a free agent after this year, so unless a team makes a commitment to extend him, it could be a short term rental...

little has less off field trouble and would be cheaper than either, i think signed through 2014?

unquestionably less talented than gordon... or britt used to be, but not same player for few years...

stafford throwing to not only to tron, gordon and broyles, but also bush would be nasty for defenses...

he is already pacing for 5,000+ yards and 32 TDs.

Last edited by a moderator:
As a Britt owner and a Gordon owner, I really hope it's Britt. Gordon has some value in Cleveland, but Britt is worthless in Tennessee.

It seems to me there are not a tremendous amount of examples each year where a WR is traded or moves in FA in the offseason and really succeeds the following year, even with a whole offseason to work with the team and learn the playbook. (Althought Welker is doing pretty well with this move)

It seems like there are even less (if any) circumstances where a WR changes teams mid-season and can contribute.

So that being said, even if a player like Britt with his wobbly knees and bad attitude gets traded, can he make any impact? I can't really see a scenario for any player that it would be a huge impact and possibly hurts Gordon's value for the immediate future.
Alvin Harper used to be poster child, but he was miscast as WR1...

rison was bad signing in CLE...

drew bennett horrific rams signing...

more recently, TB did homework in a later instance, and got legit WR1, vincent jackson = better results...

Marshall has bounced from DEN - MIA- CHI and been stud everywhere...

garçon has done well in WAS when healthy...

moss did great in NE...

britt may be done , but if gordon were to be traded, stafford exponentially better than weedon.

Could it be the Lions are prepared to go with Broyles and Edwards for now and are only looking to trade for depth and NOT a starter like Britt or Gordon?

As a Britt owner and a Gordon owner, I really hope it's Britt. Gordon has some value in Cleveland, but Britt is worthless in Tennessee.
Agreed wholeheartedly. But the NFL fan in me would love to watch Gordon and Calvin together.
That is an exciting prospect, but can you imagine if Britt proves he's still the same explosive playmaker that we saw back in 2011? The combo of old Britt and Megatron might be even more amazing!

Mega/Gordon/Broyles > Thomas/Welker/Decker?
Yes, but the triggerman is the most important piece for both offenses. Stafford would have no excuses with Calvin/Gordon/Broyles/Bush/Bell.
Oline matters more than weapons.
What does that have to do with the question?
Your statement was Stafford would have no excuse with those weapons. That's not true. The oline could still be a major problem.

Yes, but the triggerman is the most important piece for both offenses. Stafford would have no excuses with Calvin/Gordon/Broyles/Bush/Bell.
Your statement was Stafford would have no excuse with those weapons. That's not true. The oline could still be a major problem.
Sure. But he's already a 5,000 yard passer. He's already produced without a great OL. I don't think many would give him a break for that reason, with those weapons.

Agreed wholeheartedly. But the NFL fan in me would love to watch Gordon and Calvin together.
That is an exciting prospect, but can you imagine if Britt proves he's still the same explosive playmaker that we saw back in 2011? The combo of old Britt and Megatron might be even more amazing!
I'd take Gordon right now over the healthy Britt from 2010 (or 2011?), but I get what you're saying. He could still be a very exciting player.

Sure. But he's already a 5,000 yard passer. He's already produced without a great OL. I don't think many would give him a break for that reason, with those weapons.
True.

I haven't been able to see him this year. Is Britt healthy? What percentage of what he used to be, is he now (physically)?

I haven't been able to see him this year. Is Britt healthy? What percentage of what he used to be, is he now (physically)?
He's probably 80-90% physically. But his IQ has suffered a deterioration of 80% and it wasn't that high to start with.

It wouldn't surprise me if Det went after a much bigger name than the guys mention to he honest. H. Nicks type player.

Alvin Harper used to be poster child, but he was miscast as WR1...

rison was bad signing in CLE...

drew bennett horrific rams signing...

more recently, TB did homework in a later instance, and got legit WR1, vincent jackson = better results...

Marshall has bounced from DEN - MIA- CHI and been stud everywhere...

garçon has done well in WAS when healthy...

moss did great in NE...

britt may be done , but if gordon were to be traded, stafford exponentially better than weedon.
I'd add TO to this list, he did well in Philly, Dallas, Cincy

Britt been horrendous this year. Lucky he's on gameday roster bad.

I wouldn't give more than a 7th for him if I'm Detroit. Can't imagine this bozo learns the playbook. JMO It'd turn out every bit as bad as Mike Thomas.

----------------

I like the Nicks suggestion above. I'd just be surprised if it was actually him (given he'll want a new contract this offseason -- and with his injury woes, questionable he's worth it. Seems like a franchise tag situation whereever he is/goes)

Shark move for the Lions would be Britt, he would probably cost around a 6th round pick, because the Titans have phased him out and they know they won't bring him back. If Britt does suck they can cut him when Burelson comes back in about 8 weeks and all they wasted was a 6th round pick.

If they get Gordon and he has another run in with the law or failed drug test he will be gone for a year. Not to mention it will probably cost a 3rd to get Gordon maybe even a second.

Nicks would cost a 2nd because of contract and injury history and because he has not done squat this year in my opinion. Gordon for a 3rd maybe. All I know is you want to play both these guys as they may be showcased for a trade plus with Nicks running his mouth he may get fed.

Shark move for the Lions would be Britt, he would probably cost around a 6th round pick, because the Titans have phased him out and they know they won't bring him back. If Britt does suck they can cut him when Burelson comes back in about 8 weeks and all they wasted was a 6th round pick.

If they get Gordon and he has another run in with the law or failed drug test he will be gone for a year. Not to mention it will probably cost a 3rd to get Gordon maybe even a second.
But I wonder if they would want another head case after the Titus Young fiasco. People have overlooked Britt's knucklehead factor because of his talent - but now, maybe not so much...

Last edited by a moderator:

this is the correct answer

But I wonder if they would want another head case after the Titus Young fiasco. People have overlooked Britt's knucklehead factor because of his talent - but now, maybe not so much...
then cut him after a couple weeks 6 round picks get cut before the season all the time. It is a lotto ticket

Shark move for the Lions would be Britt, he would probably cost around a 6th round pick, because the Titans have phased him out and they know they won't bring him back. If Britt does suck they can cut him when Burelson comes back in about 8 weeks and all they wasted was a 6th round pick.If they get Gordon and he has another run in with the law or failed drug test he will be gone for a year. Not to mention it will probably cost a 3rd to get Gordon maybe even a second.
then cut him after a couple weeks 6 round picks get cut before the season all the time. It is a lotto ticket
I don't think Det wants a lotto ticket. I think they want a real, proven player. WR2 has been a massive hole on their roster for years. They have a legit shot at a playoff run. Wasting a 6th on a gamble like Britt strikes me as a waste of time to be honest.

Nicks would be the shark move.
a second or third rounder for a rental guy is stupid, the Lions have very little cap room as it is and soon they will have to pay Suh and Fairley. They have little or no chance of re-signing Nicks.

Actually this sounds just like the Lions, good call

Nicks would be the shark move.
a second or third rounder for a rental guy is stupid, the Lions have very little cap room as it is and soon they will have to pay Suh and Fairley. They have little or no chance of re-signing Nicks.Actually this sounds just like the Lions, good call
They will find a way to make the contract work if he's the player they want. Yeah, it's the Lions so anything goes really. N

Users who are viewing this thread