What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Lions "very close to deal" with Stafford pending final appro (1 Viewer)

Sounds like ESPN is passing on the Oakland Press quote.

Tom Kowalski is saying the Lions deny it.

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2009/...f_imminent.html
Any logic on the Lions side to denying it if everything is more or less agreed on and it's just a matter of crossing the t's and dotting the i's? Seems odd to deny it if it's a done-deal.
Until they are ready to announce the name, the Lions have no reason to give up any info at all. They lose any and all power they have in negotiations the second they admit they want to sign a particular player. Also, they give their opponenents that much more time to formulate their own draft strategies.

Sounds like ESPN is passing on the Oakland Press quote.

Tom Kowalski is saying the Lions deny it.

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2009/...f_imminent.html
Any logic on the Lions side to denying it if everything is more or less agreed on and it's just a matter of crossing the t's and dotting the i's? Seems odd to deny it if it's a done-deal.
Until they are ready to announce the name, the Lions have no reason to give up any info at all. They lose any and all power they have in negotiations the second they admit they want to sign a particular player. Also, they give their opponenents that much more time to formulate their own draft strategies.
Yeah, but that's what I'm saying... The report reads as though the negotiations are pretty much over. The title of the thread says "pending final approval", so sounds to me like everything is agreed on.If that's the case, there's no point in denying the report. Seems like they'd just have no comment.

"That report is absolutely untrue,'' Lions spokesman Bill Keenist said.
Point is, I'm sure Stafford is the guy but I don't think it's as done of a deal as the report says. Disputing it tells me they're still negotiating.

I don't see this as being a horrible pick. :shrug:
I am just not a fan of Stafford. Maybe the Lion's see something I don't. I was not impressed by him in the least bit (admittedly, the only games I saw were versus Texas Tech, Michigan State).
I probably wouldn't draft him if I were the Lions but he doesn't scream terrible pick, reach, or bust. And he fills a huge need. So :bye:
I never said he was a horrible pick. :shrug: .....just prefer them doing other things with that pick than drafting Stafford.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't see this as being a horrible pick. :wolf:
I am just not a fan of Stafford. Maybe the Lion's see something I don't. I was not impressed by him in the least bit (admittedly, the only games I saw were versus Texas Tech, Michigan State).
I probably wouldn't draft him if I were the Lions but he doesn't scream terrible pick, reach, or bust. And he fills a huge need. So :shrug:
I never said he was a horrible pick. :shrug: .....just prefer them doing other things with that pick than drafting Stafford.
Like?

He and CJ are going to light it up.
I think this is where I can't argue with the pick. CJ is the cornerstone and everything possible must be done to get him the ball. Drafting a QB at pick 10 may be more understandable but they aren't at pick 10.

I don't see this as being a horrible pick. :confused:
I probably wouldn't draft him if I were the Lions but he doesn't scream terrible pick, reach, or bust. And he fills a huge need. So :X
Like?
Did y'all learn nothing form the mighty fish last season? Detroit suffers form the same thing that the majority of bottomfeeders suffer from...poor OL play. They have the weapons with the likes of CJ, KSmith, and even some decent WR2/WR3 types. How bout building that OL starting with a LT and then building on that with another OL with #20 pick, or grabbing a DT to build around. You must build from the inside out and the Lions are one of the poster childs for not drafting WRs and QBs with top5 picks. Stafford will be average at best and likely a bust. He isn't that special and he isn't worth the #1 pick anymore than Alex Smith was for SF 3-4 years ago.

I don't see this as being a horrible pick. :confused:
I probably wouldn't draft him if I were the Lions but he doesn't scream terrible pick, reach, or bust. And he fills a huge need. So :X
Like?
In this draft I would rather have:1-Smith2-Curry3-Trade down4-Stafford

Did y'all learn nothing form the mighty fish last season?
Atlanta sucked and they took Ryan (I'm sure plenty of fans hated it at the time). OL will struggle or bust too. Gallery never lived up to the hype. Ferguson gave up 15 sacks in his first 25 games (I don't know how he's been lately).

I agree w/ this...

1. The Lions shouldn't take Matthew Stafford.

Frankly, this is easy. He shouldn't even be in consideration. Detroit has too many needs at 0-16. A strong armed quarterback does not eradicate the worst season in the history of professional sports. In fact, with the money you pay the No. 1 overall pick, it can cripple you for years to come.

Stafford is an underclassmen who forced the ball a bit too much to be considered the guy. Heck, he isn't the top quarterback on some draft boards of good teams. Stafford is not ready to play. He'll be the $35 million signing bonus baby holding a clipboard or getting killed by a poor offensive line.

This pick would be a major overreaction to the Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco craze. Let's slow down here. Ryan and Flacco were special fifth year seniors. Stafford skipped his final college season.

And wouldn't you have an overreaction to the brilliant and consistent play of Jake Long, Ryan Clady (who got one of my two first team Associated Press all pro votes at tackle as a rookie) and Jeff Otah? Analyze the difference these tackles made on their respective ball clubs last year.

I'd pick tackle Jason Smith. I wouldn't have a problem with Aaron Curry under defensive minded new head coach Jim Schwartz.

Plus, if there was trend at quarterback to follow, it's the re-emergence of Kurt Warner and Kerry Collins. Daunte Culpepper and Drew Stanton can hold the fort until you pick Tim Tebow or some other stud in the quarterback heavy draft next year.

Grab the franchise tackle. Don't blow it. But then again, these are the rebuilding since 1957 Detroit Lions.
...from here.

I agree w/ this...

Frankly, this is easy. He shouldn't even be in consideration. Detroit has too many needs at 0-16. A strong armed quarterback does not eradicate the worst season in the history of professional sports. In fact, with the money you pay the No. 1 overall pick, it can cripple you for years to come.

Stafford is an underclassmen who forced the ball a bit too much to be considered the guy. Heck, he isn't the top quarterback on some draft boards of good teams. Stafford is not ready to play. He'll be the $35 million signing bonus baby holding a clipboard or getting killed by a poor offensive line.

This pick would be a major overreaction to the Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco craze. Let's slow down here. Ryan and Flacco were special fifth year seniors. Stafford skipped his final college season.

And wouldn't you have an overreaction to the brilliant and consistent play of Jake Long, Ryan Clady (who got one of my two first team Associated Press all pro votes at tackle as a rookie) and Jeff Otah? Analyze the difference these tackles made on their respective ball clubs last year.

I'd pick tackle Jason Smith. I wouldn't have a problem with Aaron Curry under defensive minded new head coach Jim Schwartz.

Plus, if there was trend at quarterback to follow, it's the re-emergence of Kurt Warner and Kerry Collins. Daunte Culpepper and Drew Stanton can hold the fort until you pick Tim Tebow or some other stud in the quarterback heavy draft next year.

Grab the franchise tackle. Don't blow it. But then again, these are the rebuilding since 1957 Detroit Lions.
...from here.
This made me laugh

I agree w/ this...

...from here.
This made me laugh
:popcorn: Don't agree w/ the TT part.

Atlanta sucked and they took Ryan (I'm sure plenty of fans hated it at the time). OL will struggle or bust too. Gallery never lived up to the hype. Ferguson gave up 15 sacks in his first 25 games (I don't know how he's been lately).
I do think the bust potential is greater with a QB than OL. If Gallery doesn't pan out as a stud or even cut it as an LT, he can always move to RT or even move in to LG/RG and at least contribute... the downside (and perhaps upside) with a QB is much greater... If they had a better line, I would think Stafford could be a decent pick but if I were them I would probably lean towards Smith... that' sjust me.

I do think the bust potential is greater with a QB than OL. If Gallery doesn't pan out as a stud or even cut it as an LT, he can always move to RT or even move in to LG/RG and at least contribute... the downside (and perhaps upside) with a QB is much greater... If they had a better line, I would think Stafford could be a decent pick but if I were them I would probably lean towards Smith... that' sjust me.
You have a point. I just roll my eyes whenever a fan immediately thinks every QB will be a bust and every LT will be a stud.

Miami was 1 Greg Camarillo heroics catch from going 0-16. If you don't think teams get better by building a great OL then I don't think there is much to talk about. There have been way more busts with 1st round QBs IMO than 1st round LTs...at the least you can work an OL into 3 or 4 different slots, but if a QB is a bust then he's a bust. You also seem to forget that the Falcons had a 2nd pick in the 1st round and took Sam Baker, and he sure worked out pretty good for them last year...I think it was somewhere in the 20s of the 1st round. Detroit could solify a position that you have to be good at in the NFL with a strong LT, they could seal that up for the next 10 years. Stafford is a huge gamble and the percentages are not on his side. Way more Tim Couch, Alex Smith, and Matt Leinart types then there are Matt Ryans...and I think Ryan will have a very difficult Sophomore year in the NFL.

You have a point. I just roll my eyes whenever a fan immediately thinks every QB will be a bust and every LT will be a stud.
Oh absolutely... nothing is a sure thing, and I think most lean towards QB because the upside is greater, but in this case I thin they should manage their downside.That said, from what I've seen and read of Stafford, he seems like he would at least be a good fit from a temperament perspective - not easily rattled, gunslinger, not afraid to make mistakes, not some primadnna that needs to be handled with kid gloves. So, we'll see...

That made me laugh, too! Tebow? Sorry, he has not watched college football closely enough in recent years to make a statement like that.

MOP - I think we've argued this back and forth before about Stafford, but I don't think Alex Smith ever held a candle to Stafford skill-wise.

If you don't think teams get better by building a great OL then I don't think there is much to talk about. There have been way more busts with 1st round QBs IMO than 1st round LTs...at the least you can work an OL into 3 or 4 different slots, but if a QB is a bust then he's a bust.

You also seem to forget that the Falcons had a 2nd pick in the 1st round and took Sam Baker, and he sure worked out pretty good for them last year...I think it was somewhere in the 20s of the 1st round.

Detroit could solify a position that you have to be good at in the NFL with a strong LT, they could seal that up for the next 10 years. Stafford is a huge gamble and the percentages are not on his side. Way more Tim Couch, Alex Smith, and Matt Leinart types then there are Matt Ryans...and I think Ryan will have a very difficult Sophomore year in the NFL.
I never said that. Of course having a great OL is important. I was just making an observation of how every fan hates the idea of taking a QB early.

I agree w/ this...

...from here.
So this guy is advocating passing on Stafford to draft Tim Tebow next year. :kicksrock: I love Tebow but he doesn't get a first round grade. We don't know if Stafford will pan out. It's a risk. But so is Jason Smith. Drafting a workout warrior tackle from a 4-8 Baylor team that mostly played in the spread offense is still rolling the dice. I don't view Smith as any safer of a pick.Stafford may not end up being the best QB from this draft, but there is also a strong possibility that Smith will not be the best tackle. Curry seems like a lock but drafting a LB #1 overall is a tough sell. I can't blame the Lions for going with Stafford here. He certainly appears to be a higher graded prospect than Joey Harrington or Alex Smith even though he's also no sure thing.

So this guy is advocating passing on Stafford to draft Tim Tebow next year. :blackdot: I love Tebow but he doesn't get a first round grade.
Sure is hard to take the guy seriously when talking about Tebow being a stud at the NFL level. I mean, maybe he surprised everyone but I just don't see it....

I think this is where I can't argue with the pick. CJ is the cornerstone and everything possible must be done to get him the ball. Drafting a QB at pick 10 may be more understandable but they aren't at pick 10.
I can't get a throw out of my head from the Kentucky game. It was 3rd-and-20-ish...Stafford took a 5-step drop and just fired a rope to Massoqui 25 yards downfield on the sideline in double coverage...for a first down. The WR wasn't open, and it was an obvious passing down. But Stafford's throw was perfect. I think the TV crew rewound that play 5 times.CJ is the perfect match for a guy with that arm willing to try those throws.

If you don't think teams get better by building a great OL then I don't think there is much to talk about. There have been way more busts with 1st round QBs IMO than 1st round LTs...at the least you can work an OL into 3 or 4 different slots, but if a QB is a bust then he's a bust.

You also seem to forget that the Falcons had a 2nd pick in the 1st round and took Sam Baker, and he sure worked out pretty good for them last year...I think it was somewhere in the 20s of the 1st round.

Detroit could solify a position that you have to be good at in the NFL with a strong LT, they could seal that up for the next 10 years. Stafford is a huge gamble and the percentages are not on his side. Way more Tim Couch, Alex Smith, and Matt Leinart types then there are Matt Ryans...and I think Ryan will have a very difficult Sophomore year in the NFL.
I never said that. Of course having a great OL is important. I was just making an observation of how every fan hates the idea of taking a QB early.
I am not against a team taking a QB early at all but I think it has to be the right team and the right type of environment. Atlanta was smart to draft Baker later in the 1st round which gave them the blinside protection they needed for Ryan and also helped Turner have a career year too. I don't want to gush over Baker because he likely is not an All Pro but his future could be very bright. I agree with you though that not all OL drafted high are going to succeed...but I am pretty stoked on the top 3-4 this year.

I agree w/ this...

...from here.
This made me laugh
:shrug: Don't agree w/ the TT part.
:thumbdown: I have no idea who this guy is, but after that statement, he's got no credibility as far as I'm concerned.

Pat White is a much better pro qb propect than TT, and can be had in the 2nd round of this draft, if Detroit isn't interested in picking a qb in round 1.

Tebow :lmao:

I agree w/ this...

...from here.
This made me laugh
:shrug: Don't agree w/ the TT part.
:thumbdown: I have no idea who this guy is, but after that statement, he's got no credibility as far as I'm concerned.

Pat White is a much better pro qb propect than TT, and can be had in the 2nd round of this draft, if Detroit isn't interested in picking a qb in round 1.

Tebow :lmao:
good to see nobody overreacting much in this thread.

I can't get a throw out of my head from the Kentucky game. It was 3rd-and-20-ish...Stafford took a 5-step drop and just fired a rope to Massoqui 25 yards downfield on the sideline in double coverage...for a first down. The WR wasn't open, and it was an obvious passing down. But Stafford's throw was perfect. I think the TV crew rewound that play 5 times.CJ is the perfect match for a guy with that arm willing to try those throws.
:goodposting: I like Stafford a lot and I think you hit the nail on the head with this. CJ and Stafford could be very beneficial for each other.

I am not against a team taking a QB early at all but I think it has to be the right team and the right type of environment. Atlanta was smart to draft Baker later in the 1st round which gave them the blinside protection they needed for Ryan and also helped Turner have a career year too. I don't want to gush over Baker because he likely is not an All Pro but his future could be very bright. I agree with you though that not all OL drafted high are going to succeed...but I am pretty stoked on the top 3-4 this year.
There should still be a top OL prospect available at #20. It may even be a guy then ends up being better than Jason Smith or Eugene Monroe. Some mocks have Oher dropping to #20 (doubtful). But Stafford + Oher would be a damn nice first round. William Beatty will likely be available at #20. He's not as highly acclaimed as some of the other OL prospects, but he looked pretty good at the combine.

I don't like the pick...Stafford was too inconsistent at the college level to warrant this pick.

They should be picking the stud linebacker.

If I was a Lions fan, I would be relatively happy now. Granted, this draft sucks as far as having the #1 pick, but it looks like you're going to get a franchise type qb, and have him signed before the draft, which is a pretty big deal.

Also, I think people are really overstating how bad the Lions oline is. If I'm the Lions, I'm not reaching for an OT at #20.

Their dline is much worse, and in all probability there will be better value on the dline than the oline at #20. I wouldn't reach for a guy like Beattie or Britton at #20, as they have way too many needs, and there should be some value at OL at 2.01.

I think the most important thing about this that many are missing is that at least they will have whoever the 1st pick is under contract. That's a big step in the right direction for them... avoiding the holdout is a big thing. If it's Stafford, great, at least he'll be in camp and learn the offense.

Source: Lions have Aaron Curry in fold if Matthew Stafford doesn't sign soon

by Tom Kowalski

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2009/...aron_curry.html
Damn, the Lions are actually playing this thing to win. I read somewhere today that Curry said he's willing to take the same deal or little less than what Jake Long got last year. This really puts the pressure on Stafford and co.
Hypothetically, if the Lions sign Curry to less than Long made last year, how does that impact the next few picks? Are they going to take less than he made and less than last year's equal pick? I assume Stafford will try to make more, asa QB.

I'm always of the theory that you build your trenches first and add skill players later. Normally I'd poo poo the pick of Stafford but there's one problem this year: Who is the can't miss stud tackle? I don't see anyone the caliber of Long or Joe Thomas in this years draft. Jason Smith? Monroe? Not even in the same class IMO. It figures that the year the Lions pick first there is no clear cut blue chipper at the top of the draft. You can throw a blanket over the top 5-7 prospects IMO. And trading down is not a possibility so I don't see how you can really fault the Lions either way they go.

Source: Lions have Aaron Curry in fold if Matthew Stafford doesn't sign soon

by Tom Kowalski

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2009/...aron_curry.html
Damn, the Lions are actually playing this thing to win. I read somewhere today that Curry said he's willing to take the same deal or little less than what Jake Long got last year. This really puts the pressure on Stafford and co.
lol @ some of the comments. This is the right move IMO. Frankly, I hope Stafford doesn't sign, Curry is the better pick but I understand why the Lions would want Stafford for the same $.

Users who are viewing this thread