What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

live Grateful Dead (1 Viewer)

man its tough hearing weir sing jerry's songs. jerry's vocal phrasings were perfectly tucked in rhythm. its contrary to weir's sensibilities as a simultaneous singer/player and he struggles with it. it's like every line creates a challange for the others to stay locked in he's so disjointed.

Last edited by a moderator:
man its tough hearing weir sing jerry's songs. jerry's vocal phrasings were perfectly tucked in rhythm. its contrary to weir's sensibilities as a simultaneous singer/player and he struggles with it. it's like every line creates a challange for the others to stay locked in he's so disjointed.
yeah it's not perfect but if you're not enjoying this you need to recalibrate or just stop watching. this set has been killer

yeah it's not perfect but if you're not enjoying this you need to recalibrate or just stop watching. this set has been killer
its been fantastic. sorry, saul goodbrah!

its been fantastic. sorry, saul goodbrah!
that set was awesome. trey went rogue during hell in a bucket. they crushed that set.

the best set of music from any of these guys since at least 98, if not 94. seriously considering moving heaven and earth to do chicago.

Brother turned to me and said let's do Chicago half jokingly. If those shows are any part like this first set, worth it easily. Energy here is off the charts now.

Curious what you thought of that set?
I caught your link not too long ago and missed most of the first set. I was at first using my pad and the audio was low, but than switched to the desk top and headphones, and it was much better (also enjoyed the intermission instrumental with the photo montage of past and present members). DEFINITELY tuning in for the remainder (interrupted Sun Ra's Space Is The Place DVD, as I can watch that any time, this is historic). Looking forward to the rest of the show.

I take it this is the second show (would have watched the first this way if I had known, will try and catch the rest of the shows this way). What time did this start? One more set, and some encores to go?

I'm not as well schooled as some of you. My favorite periods are '72 (Euro tour), '73, '74 (Wall of Sound, pre-hiatus shows, Grateful Dead Movie), don't know if they did much in '75 (I have the Blues For Allah label party show, was it '75 or '76 where they only did four shows all year?) and than I have a bunch of stuff from '77, probably my favorite year. I might have one show from '78 (with some Egyptian musicians in the Bay area?), and I don't think anything after. I do have a few pre-72 shows, not sure about '68 (forget if one of the Carousel shows was '68 or '69?), but in between, from the Pig Pen era.

My favorite studio album is Blues For Allah, though they are definitely a live band. I have a set with the Sunshine Daydream concert on DVD, from '73 I think, it is awesome (their telepathic rapport on some shows is a cliche, but the Dark Star was simultaneously eery and sublime, one of the peaks for me in my Dead listening/watching - I had a late friend who was a massive fan, but I preferred stuff like Pink Floyd and Miles Davis, and the first time I really "got it" was during Eyes Of The World during the Grateful Dead Movie, where I intuitively understood how improvisational the music was, in some ways jazz like, and at other times, the interweaving of guitars, bass and keyboards had an almost classical, Bach-like counterpoint, plus, as alluded to, I was in awe of the Wall Of Sound audio set up they had at that time, before it nearly bankrupted them, I also admired their attempts to chase sonic perfection regardless of expense). I loved the sound of Jerry's mutron effects on his guitar circa '77, and versions of Estimated Prophet, and the Slipknot, Franklin's Tower medley from that time. Hope they do that in Chicago (if not tonight :) ).

When are the remaining shows? Again, much appreciated for the link.

:tebow: :moneybag: :hifive: :pickle: :banned: :headbang: :blackdot:

Curious what you thought of that set?
I caught your link not too long ago and missed most of the first set. I was at first using my pad and the audio was low, but than switched to the desk top and headphones, and it was much better (also enjoyed the intermission instrumental with the photo montage of past and present members). DEFINITELY tuning in for the remainder (interrupted Sun Ra's Space Is The Place DVD, as I can watch that any time, this is historic). Looking forward to the rest of the show.

I take it this is the second show (would have watched the first this way if I had known, will try and catch the rest of the shows this way). What time did this start? One more set, and some encores to go?

I'm not as well schooled as some of you. My favorite periods are '72 (Euro tour), '73, '74 (Wall of Sound, pre-hiatus shows, Grateful Dead Movie), don't know if they did much in '75 (I have the Blues For Allah label party show, was it '75 or '76 where they only did four shows all year?) and than I have a bunch of stuff from '77, probably my favorite year. I might have one show from '78 (with some Egyptian musicians in the Bay area?), and I don't think anything after. I do have a few pre-72 shows, not sure about '68 (forget if one of the Carousel shows was '68 or '69?), but in between, from the Pig Pen era.

My favorite studio album is Blues For Allah, though they are definitely a live band. I have a set with the Sunshine Daydream concert on DVD, from '73 I think, it is awesome (their telepathic rapport on some shows is a cliche, but the Dark Star was simultaneously eery and sublime, one of the peaks for me in my Dead listening/watching - I had a late friend who was a massive fan, but I preferred stuff like Pink Floyd and Miles Davis, and the first time I really "got it" was during Eyes Of The World during the Grateful Dead Movie, where I intuitively understood how improvisational the music was, in some ways jazz like, and at other times, the interweaving of guitars, bass and keyboards had an almost classical, Bach-like counterpoint, plus, as alluded to, I was in awe of the Wall Of Sound audio set up they had at that time, before it nearly bankrupted them, I also admired their attempts to chase sonic perfection regardless of expense). I loved the sound of Jerry's mutron effects on his guitar circa '77, and versions of Estimated Prophet, and the Slipknot, Franklin's Tower medley from that time. Hope they do that in Chicago (if not tonight :) ).

When are the remaining shows? Again, much appreciated for the link.

:tebow: :moneybag: :hifive: :pickle: :banned: :headbang: :blackdot:
Wow. Great post. this show started at 9 est (they didnt play until 930). Next/last chicago shows are next weekend. Last night was great but the first set tonight was even better. Just awesome.

I have been drinking a bourbon called Basil Hayden's these last few nights. any one ever had? very smooth. almost too smooth.
Currently a Belgian ale, with vodka on deck.

They are sounding really tight right now, when was the last time they played together?

They are so in the pocket right now, it is like those pockets that go inside your pocket.

The sound is like a pristine, immaculate Rudy Van Gelder Blue Note engineering job, where all the instruments are equally heard in the mix. The bass is prominent, but Phil is a brilliant, imaginative lead bass player that can pull it off effortlessly.

Users who are viewing this thread