What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Lockheed Martin cuts $ to BSA for anti-gay/atheist rules. (1 Viewer)

Good for them. I stopped buying Christmas trees from BSA
As a parent of two kids in the Boy Scouts, I would hope people don't punish the kids for the decisions of the adults. I don't agree with what the BSA is doing, but I don't see punishing the kids as an effective way to exact change.
That's the BSA leaders' problem, not mine. Stop doing things that lose money for the kids in BSA.
Your choice to not buy a Christmas tree, hurts the individual scout who is just trying to raise money local activities. Even if the kid wanted to allow gay leaders, he wouldn't be able to make that decision. You're punishing kids for something they have zero control over. By your logic, we should stop helping crack babies. Maybe the mother will stop using crack.
You're digging down in the mx level of bad analogies
I think it's necessary to get my point across. Make sure the message you are sending is getting to the people that can invoke change. On the grand scale, BSA may find another company to take LM's place. If not, then the people that run it, will have to decide how bad hurts them. But, a local scout may not be able to make up money lost on local fundraising.. They won't know, or understand, why people suddenly stopped supporting them.
That ought to make the BSA leaders feel really guilty when they look into the kids' faces. People get hurt all the time during ideological debates. It's unfortunate but if the BSA wants to push away funding, that's on them, not the people being pushed away.

As a parent of two kids in the Boy Scouts, I would hope people don't punish the kids for the decisions of the adults. I don't agree with what the BSA is doing, but I don't see punishing the kids as an effective way to exact change.
That's the BSA leaders' problem, not mine. Stop doing things that lose money for the kids in BSA.
Your choice to not buy a Christmas tree, hurts the individual scout who is just trying to raise money local activities. Even if the kid wanted to allow gay leaders, he wouldn't be able to make that decision. You're punishing kids for something they have zero control over. By your logic, we should stop helping crack babies. Maybe the mother will stop using crack.
I think it's necessary to get my point across. Make sure the message you are sending is getting to the people that can invoke change. On the grand scale, BSA may find another company to take LM's place. If not, then the people that run it, will have to decide how bad hurts them. But, a local scout may not be able to make up money lost on local fundraising.. They won't know, or understand, why people suddenly stopped supporting them.
That ought to make the BSA leaders feel really guilty when they look into the kids' faces. People get hurt all the time during ideological debates. It's unfortunate but if the BSA wants to push away funding, that's on them, not the people being pushed away.
Again, the people that make the decisions at the BSA are not seeing the kids faces. I would venture to guess 99.9% of scouts have no idea that LM stopped donating. I would also venture to guess that 100% of the decision makers understand why LM pulled it's funding.

Do you honestly think the same is true when a person decides not to buy a Christmas tree from a scout? I understand your point about sending a message, unfortunately the message never reaches the top. It's a displaced anger situation. Those scouts are still helping people in their community. They don't care about the race, color, creed or sexual orientation of the person they are helping. It's not the kids' battle to fight.

People are acting like this is a new development, when it's not. The Boy Scouts have been losing money, sponsors, and members for decades.

"Homosexual conduct is inconsistent with the requirement in the Scout Law that a Scout be clean"

On the grand scale, BSA may find another company to take LM's place. If not, then the people that run it, will have to decide how bad hurts them. But, a local scout may not be able to make up money lost on local fundraising.. They won't know, or understand, why people suddenly stopped supporting them.
If individual scout leaders don't know what their organization stands for why're they leaders?. If the BSA leadership knows it's hurting kids with their culture-war stance then they've made an obvious choice to put the kids second. If the kids in scouting don't know that scouts disallow gay leaders then why are scout leaders hiding it from them? No matter how you look at it the blame falls on BSA leaders.

You're attempting to excuse BSA leaders from responsibility for their actions by hiding behind "bad people are taking money from innocent boy scouts" and you're convincing no one. The "think of the children" bit should be directed to BSA leadership.

Last edited by a moderator:
Again, the people that make the decisions at the BSA are not seeing the kids faces. I would venture to guess 99.9% of scouts have no idea that LM stopped donating. I would also venture to guess that 100% of the decision makers understand why LM pulled it's funding.Do you honestly think the same is true when a person decides not to buy a Christmas tree from a scout? I understand your point about sending a message, unfortunately the message never reaches the top. It's a displaced anger situation. Those scouts are still helping people in their community. They don't care about the race, color, creed or sexual orientation of the person they are helping. It's not the kids' battle to fight.
How do you know they don't care? Where do you think those decision making leaders come from ?

Both of you are still missing the point. I'm not talking about the large scale donations that drive the BSA organization. I'm talking about the local donations through fundraising activities. That's only hurting the kids.

So, I stand by my analogy of helping crack babies. Their parents should know better and we shouldn't show any form of support. This only encourages people to continue to use crack and they will never change if they don't suffer due to their poor choice.

Both of you are still missing the point. I'm not talking about the large scale donations that drive the BSA organization. I'm talking about the local donations through fundraising activities. That's only hurting the kids.

So, I stand by my analogy of helping crack babies. Their parents should know better and we shouldn't show any form of support. This only encourages people to continue to use crack and they will never change if they don't suffer due to their poor choice.
Yes, we get it: you still can't make a good analogy. If the leadership of BSA wouldn't discriminate, them the little campers selling chocolate bars wouldn't suffer. The leadership is failing their troops. Leaders generally don't suffer unless the people they lead suffer.

Yes, we get it: you still can't make a good analogy.If the leadership of BSA wouldn't discriminate, them the little campers selling chocolate bars wouldn't suffer. The leadership is failing their troops. Leaders generally don't suffer unless the people they lead suffer.
Yep, you continue to punish the wrong people. The kids can't exact the change you are wanting.

What is the difference? A crack baby can't change it's parents either.

Essentially you are saying you're OK with the Scouts being collateral damage in this battle. That's where you fail.

Yep, you continue to punish the wrong people.
Why aren't you upset with pro-BSA companies who don't double their donations to make up for the losses? They are just as much as fault as everyone else.

Just think -- if Wal Mart would only increase donations to match what Lockheed Martin took away, all those scouts wouldn't have to go to bed hungry.

Yep, you continue to punish the wrong people.
Why aren't you upset with pro-BSA companies who don't double their donations to make up for the losses? They are just as much as fault as everyone else.

Just think -- if Wal Mart would only increase donations to match what Lockheed Martin took away, all those scouts wouldn't have to go to bed hungry.
As surprising as it may sound, I don't agree with the BSA's stance on gay scout leaders. They allow women to be leaders, the concern of having a sexual predator as a leader, is a non starter. So, anyone that comes out and says that they are upping their donation dollars because they believe that homosexuals should be kept out of the BSA, is just as wrong as well.

Unless someone can give me concrete reasoning as to why gay people can be doctors, lawyers, congressmen, or whatever, but we draw the line at scout leader, I think it's a stupid argument. Beyond that it boils down to a religious belief. At least in our troop, religion is not a major driving force. I would venture to say that most leaders are not all that devout. Actually, I would venture to say the same thing about LM and their leaders. If there is a God, do you think he appreciates a company that creates weapons to destroy his creations?

I don't agree with other things that the BSA does, but I don't allow any of that to effect my kids experience. Keep in mind my comments in this thread was in response to the smaller scale of Scout fundraising.

Yes, we get it: you still can't make a good analogy.If the leadership of BSA wouldn't discriminate, them the little campers selling chocolate bars wouldn't suffer. The leadership is failing their troops. Leaders generally don't suffer unless the people they lead suffer.
Yep, you continue to punish the wrong people. The kids can't exact the change you are wanting. What is the difference? A crack baby can't change it's parents either.

Essentially you are saying you're OK with the Scouts being collateral damage in this battle. That's where you fail.
The scouts are not collateral damage. They are the scouts. They are the BSA. And no, I am not ok with it. If I was ok with it, I wouldn't talk badly about the people choosing to put themselves above the children they lead.

Man, you don't seem to have a clue.

I find it fascinating how our society keeps evolving...

From what I gather...the new groupthink is for us to support young boys going on weekend long camping trips in the woods with gay scout leaders.

I don't agree with other things that the BSA does, but I don't allow any of that to effect my kids experience.
Do you discuss BSA's anti-gay-leader policy with your kids? Or hide it from them? Do you tell them why you think it's a good policy? Or do you tell them why it's a bad policy but it's OK to ignore it, lose good leaders, be bigoted, so that funds keep coming in?

Yep, you continue to punish the wrong people. The kids can't exact the change you are wanting. What is the difference? A crack baby can't change it's parents either.

The scouts are not collateral damage. They are the scouts. They are the BSA.And no, I am not ok with it. If I was ok with it, I wouldn't talk badly about the people choosing to put themselves above the children they lead.

The bolded is exactly my point. Your problem is with the decision makers at BSA, not the scouts.

By choosing to buy a Christmas tree from someone other than the Boy Scouts, you are not putting the children above yourself. Again,it's a destroy BSA mentality at all costs.

Tell me what you expect a scout to do to invoke change?

I don't agree with other things that the BSA does, but I don't allow any of that to effect my kids experience.
Do you discuss BSA's anti-gay-leader policy with your kids? Or hide it from them? Do you tell them why you think it's a good policy? Or do you tell them why it's a bad policy but it's OK to ignore it, lose good leaders, be bigoted, so that funds keep coming in?
We have discussed it with our kids. No reason to hide it from them. I didn't tell them anything but the truth and the facts. We let them ask questions and form their own opinions.

KCitons said:
mad sweeney said:
KCitons said:
mad sweeney said:
KCitons said:

The scouts are not collateral damage. They are the scouts. They are the BSA.And no, I am not ok with it. If I was ok with it, I wouldn't talk badly about the people choosing to put themselves above the children they lead.

The bolded is exactly my point. Your problem is with the decision makers at BSA, not the scouts. By choosing to buy a Christmas tree from someone other than the Boy Scouts, you are not putting the children above yourself. Again,it's a destroy BSA mentality at all costs.

fatness said:
KCitons said:
We have discussed it with our kids. No reason to hide it from them. I didn't tell them anything but the truth and the facts. We let them ask questions and form their own opinions.
The decision makers and the scouts are both the BSA. The kids are the BSA, just as the leaders are. Ground level scouts that are being hurt from this ought to be telling their leaders to get with the times and stop discriminating. They're the ones putting their ideology over the welfare of the kids. Additionally, your little victim mode "destroy the BSA" cries are really silly. No one has expressed a desire to destroy them at all. It's a protest against a group that discriminates, not an effort to end the BSA.

tdoss said:

From what I gather...the new groupthink is for us to support young boys going on weekend long camping trips in the woods with gay scout leaders.
Why don't you just come out and state openly your fear of what could happen in such an event, rather than leave it to implication?

tdoss said:

Do you think that's worse than having young boys going on camping trips with closeted gay scout leaders?

KCitons said:
mad sweeney said:
KCitons said:
mad sweeney said:
KCitons said:

The bolded is exactly my point. Your problem is with the decision makers at BSA, not the scouts. By choosing to buy a Christmas tree from someone other than the Boy Scouts, you are not putting the children above yourself. Again,it's a destroy BSA mentality at all costs.

fatness said:
KCitons said:
The decision makers and the scouts are both the BSA. The kids are the BSA, just as the leaders are. Ground level scouts that are being hurt from this ought to be telling their leaders to get with the times and stop discriminating. They're the ones putting their ideology over the welfare of the kids.Additionally, your little victim mode "destroy the BSA" cries are really silly. No one has expressed a desire to destroy them at all. It's a protest against a group that discriminates, not an effort to end the BSA.
You must live with your head in the clouds. When is the last time adults listened to what kids wanted? If that was the case, our country's budget deficit should be gone, and global warming should no longer be an issue.

This is an argument between adults and the final decision will be made by the adults. And yes, there are people that want to destroy the BSA over this.

KCitons said:
mad sweeney said:
KCitons said:
mad sweeney said:
KCitons said:

fatness said:
KCitons said:
The decision makers and the scouts are both the BSA. The kids are the BSA, just as the leaders are. Ground level scouts that are being hurt from this ought to be telling their leaders to get with the times and stop discriminating. They're the ones putting their ideology over the welfare of the kids.Additionally, your little victim mode "destroy the BSA" cries are really silly. No one has expressed a desire to destroy them at all. It's a protest against a group that discriminates, not an effort to end the BSA.
You must live with your head in the clouds. When is the last time adults listened to what kids wanted? If that was the case, our country's budget deficit should be gone, and global warming should no longer be an issue.This is an argument between adults and the final decision will be made by the adults. And yes, there are people that want to destroy the BSA over this.
If your own BSA leadership won't listen to their own kids, why would you hold other adults beholden to that concept? And do those kids not have patents ( adults) that can handle the adult portion of adult to adult talks with the BSA leadership?

KCitons said:
mad sweeney said:
KCitons said:
mad sweeney said:
KCitons said:

fatness said:
KCitons said:
You must live with your head in the clouds. When is the last time adults listened to what kids wanted? If that was the case, our country's budget deficit should be gone, and global warming should no longer be an issue.

This is an argument between adults and the final decision will be made by the adults. And yes, there are people that want to destroy the BSA over this.
Destroy is a pretty strong word. The people who approve of these boycotts have a single goal in mind: to get the Boy Scouts of America to treat gay people with equality like everyone else. Once the BSA agrees to do this, the boycotts will stop.

KCitons said:
mad sweeney said:
KCitons said:
mad sweeney said:
KCitons said:

The bolded is exactly my point. Your problem is with the decision makers at BSA, not the scouts.

By choosing to buy a Christmas tree from someone other than the Boy Scouts, you are not putting the children above yourself. Again,it's a destroy BSA mentality at all costs.

fatness said:
KCitons said:
Did you tell your kids how terrible their "plight" is, and that they're like crack babies being victimized?

We can continue to beat this dead horse if you want. Taking the fight to the individual scout is not going to solve this problem. It makes no more sense than blaming a crack baby for it's problems.

When a country goes to War, it should be policy to shoot all children of the opposing side. After all, they should be able to change the doctrine of their respective governments.

KCitons said:
mad sweeney said:
KCitons said:
mad sweeney said:
KCitons said:

fatness said:
KCitons said:
Did you tell your kids how terrible their "plight" is, and that they're like crack babies being victimized?
nope. again, I don't tell my kids how to think. That's something a bigot would do.

KCitons said:
mad sweeney said:
KCitons said:
mad sweeney said:
KCitons said:

fatness said:
KCitons said:
nope. again, I don't tell my kids how to think. That's something a bigot would do.
Did you tell your kids that you think their "plight" is terrible, and that on a message board you're comparing them to crack babies being victimized?

I didn't think so.

KCitons said:
mad sweeney said:
KCitons said:
mad sweeney said:
KCitons said:

fatness said:
KCitons said:
Did you tell your kids that you think their "plight" is terrible, and that on a message board you're comparing them to crack babies being victimized?

I didn't think so.
???? Would it make a difference?

Still waiting for someone to tell my why a crack baby is different. In both cases the innocent people are the ones that suffer, due to poor choices by others.

Do you tell your kids why you don't buy Christmas trees from the Boys Scouts?

KCitons- clear your PM's...

My whole family knows. I don't pay money to support bigotry.

By the way, avoid analogies. You're not good at them and when you've made a bad one you stick to it like the Titanic.

Done

By the way, avoid analogies. You're not good at them and when you've made a bad one you stick to it like the Titanic.
So you don't discuss it with your kids. They just know each and every nuance of your tactics. Got it.

Then do you tell the scouts specifically why you are not buying a tree from them? Or do you assume they know your nuances as well?

Done

So you don't discuss it with your kids.
They know because I've told them. Are you always this dense?

I'm not sure the average Boy Scout selling a tree will really be needing much of an explanation. He'll probably assume I bought a tree from somewhere else for one of the many different reasons I might favor one entrant in the Christmas tree market over another. Better price. Nicer trees. Easier location.

And it's the same way with giving to charity. I'm no more hurting Boy Scouts by diverting the money I was giving to them and giving it to the Ronald McDonald House (for instance) than I was hurting the Ronald McDonald House by giving it to the Boy Scouts in the first place. The Boy Scouts don't have an entitlement to the same amount of charitable giving any more than Coca Cola has an entitlement to a certain market share in soda.

KCitons said:
mad sweeney said:
KCitons said:
mad sweeney said:
KCitons said:

fatness said:
KCitons said:
I don't think you understand what bigot means.

:lmao: @ crack babies. Great work KCitons.
From you that means a lot.

Done

Based on your statement it sounded like they just know. Do you tell them what to think, or do you allow your kids to make up their own minds? What if your kid felt it was OK for the BSA to ban gay leaders?

What if they wanted to become a Scout? Would you let them?

I'm not sure the average Boy Scout selling a tree will really be needing much of an explanation. He'll probably assume I bought a tree from somewhere else for one of the many different reasons I might favor one entrant in the Christmas tree market over another. Better price. Nicer trees. Easier location.

And it's the same way with giving to charity. I'm no more hurting Boy Scouts by diverting the money I was giving to them and giving it to the Ronald McDonald House (for instance) than I was hurting the Ronald McDonald House by giving it to the Boy Scouts in the first place. The Boy Scouts don't have an entitlement to the same amount of charitable giving any more than Coca Cola has an entitlement to a certain market share in soda.
That's great. I don't care if you decide to donate your money to other places. Everyone needs help.

Ever wonder if companies like LM are gaining something by their decision?

No, I don't think you understand what it means to allow free thought.

What do you tell your kids about the BSA issue?

We can continue to beat this dead horse if you want. Taking the fight to the individual scout is not going to solve this problem. It makes no more sense than blaming a crack baby for it's problems.

When a country goes to War, it should be policy to shoot all children of the opposing side. After all, they should be able to change the doctrine of their respective governments.
Wait, are you seriously trying to draw a parallel between exercising your capitalist freedom to give your money to support groups that don't openly discriminate and killing children? I think I understated the victim hood complex you're suffering. Now you're downright delusional.

:lmao: @ crack babies. Great work KCitons.
From you that means a lot.
Done

Based on your statement it sounded like they just know. Do you tell them what to think, or do you allow your kids to make up their own minds? What if your kid felt it was OK for the BSA to ban gay leaders? What if they wanted to become a Scout? Would you let them?

That's great. I don't care if you decide to donate your money to other places. Everyone needs help. Ever wonder if companies like LM are gaining something by their decision?

No, I don't think you understand what it means to allow free thought. What do you tell your kids about the BSA issue?
Actually I do understand that issue, however it has absolutely nothing to do with you misusing the word bigot.

Wait, are you seriously trying to draw a parallel between exercising your capitalist freedom to give your money to support groups that don't openly discriminate and killing children? I think I understated the victim hood complex you're suffering. Now you're downright delusional.
If that's the analogy that gets my point across, then yes. Boycotting a Boy Scout Christmas tree sale is pretty delusional as well. But why stop there. You should grab a few of those kids by the neckerchief and rough them up a little, just to get your point across.

Not sure if I asked you specifically Sweeney. But, would you allow your kids to join Scouts?

Why are some of you still living in the United States? It took this country and some states hundreds of years to change the rights for gay couples.

Anyone living in one of those states, is having their tax dollars support a bigoted government. You should move.

In the industry I work in many companies have been in the leading edge of gay rights for their employees as far as corporations go. They do this for two main reasons. 1)They want to recruit the best possible talent and it has given them an edge for potential gay employees. 2) They want to take care of their existing employees base.

Why are some of you still living in the United States? It took this country and some states hundreds of years to change the rights for gay couples.

Anyone living in one of those states, is having their tax dollars support a bigoted government. You should move.
Can I get a refund if I move?

In the industry I work in many companies have been in the leading edge of gay rights for their employees as far as corporations go. They do this for two main reasons. 1)They want to recruit the best possible talent and it has given them an edge for potential gay employees. 2) They want to take care of their existing employees base.

Sorry, I should have asked that differently.

Ever wonder why companies like LM announce that they are ceasing donations to organizations?

Can I get a refund if I move?
No, but you'll be able to sleep at night.

If that's the analogy that gets my point across, then yes. Boycotting a Boy Scout Christmas tree sale is pretty delusional as well. But why stop there. You should grab a few of those kids by the neckerchief and rough them up a little, just to get your point across.

Not sure if I asked you specifically Sweeney. But, would you allow your kids to join Scouts?
I don't have kids. If I did and one wanted to, I'd probably be raising hell towards the leaders to actually think of the children instead of their antiquated, discriminatory practices instead of trying to compare him to a crack baby or war casualty. Have I asked you if you understand the word bigot? Or if, in your horrible crack baby analogy, you realized that you're calling your wife a crackhead?

Perhaps you're unfamiliar with the efforts being made to change those practices. Your analogy once again falls flat since no one is telling anyone to leave the BSA, as you insinuate. In fact, the move to provide equal rights in the US is a macrocosm of the fight for the BSA to also end discrimination. People apply political , financial and societal pressure to make a change toward equality. Same thing with the BSA. You really, really suck at analogies.

Sorry, I should have asked that differently.

Ever wonder why companies like LM announce that they are ceasing donations to organizations?
see #1 and #2 above

Maybe I missed it, but where are Palin or Jindal or Huckabee or others opposed to A&E's actions publicly calling out a defense contractor he way they did a television show? Weird, isn't it?

Geez...and I thought your analogies were bad.

Users who are viewing this thread