What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Looking for book recommendations for a Freshman in college! Please help! (1 Viewer)

TripItUp

Footballguy
My nephew is entering college and i want to buy him books that will have a positive impact on his life. I love "how to win friends and influence people" as an example. I'm less interested in books that focus on professional or academic success. I'm more interested in books that help with emotional intelligence and self awareness and just general lessons for being happy.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Sorry no real help

[QUOTE="TripItUp, post: 25012674, member: 58786"I'm less interested in books that focus on professional or academic success. I'm more interested in books that help with emotional intelligence and self awareness and just general lessons for being happy.

Thanks for the suggestions!
[/QUOTE]
Pretty much has to be the Kama Sutra.

A Confederacy of Dunces - it’s pretty much a primer for college and the type of people that go to college. Actually, give it to him about two years in. Then he’ll really get it.

Tell him to be wary of everybody in the book except for Jones the janitor at the Night of Joy

A little nerdy, but The Scout Mindset is a good introduction to how an educated person should interact with the world. A person's college years are the time when he needs to learn to distinguish between "is" and "ought," and your son is going to encounter a whole bunch of people who succeed and fail at doing so to varying degrees over the next four years.

There are probably better examples of books in this genre, but this is the one I know.

Who Moved My Cheese?
Our entire high school staff read this book some 15+ years ago. It is a short, easy read with a decent lesson to deliver, but probably didn't require a book to deliver it.

This year at the start of the school year, our principal gave everybody a copy of The Power of Fun: How to Feel Alive Again by Catherine Price. I haven't opened it yet.

I found "Never Eat Alone" by Keith Ferrazzi to be really helpful as I moved from a sophomore to a campus leader and a person who wanted to get moving towards a career.

The Alchemist was a pretty inspiring book when I was his age and a book I come back to from time to time.

A Confederacy of Dunces - it’s pretty much a primer for college and the type of people that go to college. Actually, give it to him about two years in. Then he’ll really get it.

Tell him to be wary of everybody in the book except for Jones the janitor at the Night of Joy
Whoa! That crazy.

I found "Never Eat Alone" by Keith Ferrazzi to be really helpful as I moved from a sophomore to a campus leader and a person who wanted to get moving towards a career.
Was literally going to say this even though it personally doesn’t totally resonate with me. I read it like 15 years ago and I think it is a good book for inspiring/influencing people into thinking about how to build success

A little nerdy, but The Scout Mindset is a good introduction to how an educated person should interact with the world. A person's college years are the time when he needs to learn to distinguish between "is" and "ought," and your son is going to encounter a whole bunch of people who succeed and fail at doing so to varying degrees over the next four years.

There are probably better examples of books in this genre, but this is the one I know.

I liked what I heard her say about this on various podcasts and then practically as soon as I subscribed to her podcast she stopped it. That is my review of this book.

Was literally going to say this even though it personally doesn’t totally resonate with me. I read it like 15 years ago and I think it is a good book for inspiring/influencing people into thinking about how to build success
I took it to heart. At all of grad school and at my job in the six years since, I have always had lunch with at least one person and I never regretted it.

I took it to heart. At all of grad school and at my job in the six years since, I have always had lunch with at least one person and I never regretted it.
I just can’t stand talking to people when I don’t feel like it. Now get the **** away from me…

Users who are viewing this thread